This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Giorgio Armani, Fall 2006

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Giorgio Armani, Fall 2006

There is a whole new generation that will never see Giorgio Armani the way I saw him when I was growing up. When I was in college Armani was the hot youngish designer, easily the most important and directional designer in the world (for both men's and women's, no one currently can say that) but still a small business. At the same time Yves Saint Laurent was an aging design superstar who was reaping the rewards of having built an empire but now held little allure to the younger fashion-sensitive generation. At the time I couldn't imagine any girl I knew wearing anything from the YSL runway, I also couldn't imagine not wanting every single item from the Armani shows.

With his Fall 2006 collection Armani has officially accepted the torch of "grand old designer." I cannot imagine any recent Parsons graduate panting over the uptight/uptown ladylike looks that dominated Armani's runway this season. Don't get me wrong, Armani is still a master but it just doesn't speak to that young customer the way Marc or Prada do currently (actually it has been slowly happening for years, but this season Armani has now officially "jumped the shark").

Armani's biggest challenge is not lack of or waning talent but the lack of motivation to change. He is so hooked-up in China and other emerging markets that the bottomline will keep bouncing along nicely regardless of what is happening in the press reviews. The only thing that these shows will effect is his legacy but it is not easy to walk away, just ask Brett Favre (did I stump you?). I have a crazy idea, Helmut Lang designs Emporio Armani and when Giorgio is ready to retire Helmut takes the lead, could you think of any recent de-companied designer that could potentially do a better job?

Comments on "Giorgio Armani, Fall 2006"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:21 PM) : 

Helmut Lang designs Emporio and then takes over when Giorgio retires?!?

That's the best idea ever.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:00 PM) : 

I really miss Helmut Lang.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:48 AM) : 

Great to see that I am not the only one who is missing Helmut Lang these days. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:01 PM) : 

I have alot of Helmut Lang and I and still wear it now, it has never gone out of style, not one piece!
I also got a great peacoat from his last collection and I love it!
I can coast for a while, but not too long...
come back, Helmut, come back!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 PM) : 

i agree- i think that this collection was directed more towards an older woman than someone around my own age. i loved the evening dresses, but the initial reaction that i had to this collection was that it belonged on a member of the royal family (think strange hats) as opposed to someone in their early twenties.

 

Blogger SunshineCityLassie said ... (10:32 PM) : 

Prints rule - I love the blue skirt with black polka dots.

 

Blogger m. said ... (4:57 PM) : 

god, I love that color. Does anyone know it's name?

 

Anonymous Ljerka-Susanna-Lukic said ... (2:29 PM) : 

PERFECT!!!
Susan,Designer&Writer,
Toronto

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting