This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Reconsidering Brown

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Reconsidering Brown

I think I have said before that I'm not a big fan of brown for clothing but I love how she has combined the brown dress with the red shoes.

Of course, I also love the hair.

Comments on "Reconsidering Brown"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 AM) : 

Oh yes. I like this a lot. Those shoes!!! And the length of her leggings is right on target.

With a little more support up-top - perfect!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 AM) : 

just gorgeous! and in an original way, not run-off-the-mill..

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (10:17 AM) : 

I love the dress! I didn't even notice the shoes til I read your description, but they are lovely and the deep red really suits the chocolate brown of the dress.

Her hair and sunnies are very cute - a mix of Louise Brooks and Jackie O!

And just quietly, wow - bare shoulders at this time of year.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 AM) : 

nice look. This could not have been taken this week in New York? No? Everyone is in coats.

 

Blogger hoi polloi said ... (10:58 AM) : 

Umm she must be very cold. Brown is a good color for fall though

 

Blogger Butch said ... (11:14 AM) : 

Brown gets a bum rap as a clothing color (and is traditionally considered a no-no for men's suits), but its successful use seems to me a matter of choosing well. The RIGHT brown, taking complexion and other factors into account, can be a gorgeous on...

 

Blogger mademoisellelala said ... (12:26 PM) : 

I love the look. Great shoes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 PM) : 

I like brown color but I dont' like this dress.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:02 PM) : 

Love brown with red, with grey, with black, with navy, with pink and most of all with baby blue. I love that combination so much that back in 1995 I used it for my brand's logo colors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 PM) : 

just being honest, but I really don't like the outfit...and I especially don't like the hair. but to each his own right?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:28 PM) : 

Why not brown? I think brown can be so amazing and so complimaentary to so many skin tones. I especially love a deep bitter chocolate as an alternative to black especially on women as they get older as it is a lot softer than a hard black - i say go the brown all the way, as with any colour its all about the tone and shade

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 PM) : 

Brown is so dependent on cut and fabric! I think it also doesn't have the cultural power of black or navy, and it can look dowdy if not mixed with another strong colors.

It is true that middle aged women can really look great in allover brown when solid black often makes the skin look washed out. And brown-- by contrast --makes make-up warmer and softer in older women.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:17 PM) : 

I totally agree with bensmith. Brown is a softer and better neutral than black in many situations. And, I'm totally with you, Sart, that the red shoes make the perfect complementary accent.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 PM) : 

She looks like what my mother must have looked like at her age, kind of spooky to notice that, but also nice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36 PM) : 

I began to rethink brown after seeing "Tony Takitani"--a Japanese film based on a story by Haruki Murakami, about a woman obsessed with clothes. A character wears a turtleneck sweater in the most amazing dark dark brown.

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (11:15 AM) : 

Just love this dress! And the red details are so fresh and exciting! Great style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:57 PM) : 

I think a brown coat looks better on some people rather than a black coat, which tends to wash out ligher complextions.

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (7:04 AM) : 

Chocolate browns are lovely-dark ones. Especially mixed with pink, in contrasting textures-like velvet and satin-you get great results!
Also cinnamon browns are great but that borders on red as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:40 AM) : 

She's lovely. I'm interested in the necklace she's wearing . . . any detail shots?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 AM) : 

I love you, sart, but I think it's so weird that you would be against a color for clothing. I don't love earth tones, but if I put on brown or olive green, everyone tells me that I look great in those colors--so I'm starting to wear them more.

That said, I don't love this look, though the individual elements are nice.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting