This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Barbour Coats - Just About The Best Value In Menswear

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, November 24, 2006

Barbour Coats - Just About The Best Value In Menswear


Barbour Coats are just about the best value in menswear.

The quilted jacket above is the Liddesdale model and sells in the US for about $145. I love mine, it is lightweight and keeps me perfectly warm and works well with both business or casual wear.

I also have the Bedale waxed jacket in original green. I bought mine almost 10 years ago and wore it until it was literally in shreds.
I simply took it to the Barbour store in New York and they sent it to be repaired. Unfortunately, now it looks just like new - crap! I should have had them only fix half of the rips. Now it will take me another 5 years to get it back into bad shape!

Comments on "Barbour Coats - Just About The Best Value In Menswear"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:10 PM) : 

My grandpa wears his to shovel the snow.

mltt

 

Blogger Butch said ... (5:18 PM) : 

Also like the Barbour stuff. (A nifty backpack equivalent that would no doubt survive nuclear winter is made by Filson--but y'all know that.)

What is it about quilted coats of this sort? Instant chic, no?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:25 PM) : 

Ah!! the Barbour,they are now the emblem of country gentlemen everywhere and simply known as the Barbour.

It is so incredibly stylish,the very model English gentleman.but be sure when to get a coat long enough to cover your suit jacket-you do not want the bottom hanging out.

The Italians wear the quilted coats as no other,in incredable colours and sometimes tight fitted,as soon as it gets a bit chilly out....out come the quilted coats...with great scarves.

Thanks Sart for showing us all the individuality around!

 

Blogger Just an Observation said ... (6:52 PM) : 

Couldn't agree with you more Sar...Barbour is definiitely maximum bang for your buck when trying look drssed well and for the minimum financial investment.
I would like to mention an english brand namely, Cordings also a great look ...significantly pricier but a superior product also. I believe they are an English Brand......I think of think of them as Burberry without the Plaid ( novacheck) markings and trims ..which is perfectly fine by me ...Burberry is actually one of the "say out loud" designs I like
Thanks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:59 PM) : 

i'd tap that

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:52 PM) : 

so funny ... in europe we wear these to muck out our horse stables

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:08 PM) : 

i hate when that happens! you could always throw it under a passing bus. this gentleman is lovely. he looks like he is enjoying his coat, as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:25 PM) : 

Couldn't agree more! I own two... Try the new lightweight fabrics. Excellent.

 

Blogger Matthew DeBord said ... (8:35 PM) : 

You are not kidding, my man. I also have a Liddesdale, and it's ideal for travel, as well as climates ranging from NYC when the chill is on to LA after the rainy season sets in to (for all I know) Dubai in January. Honestly, I think it is the jacket perfected. What I did pre-Barbour is a mystery to me. Well, not really. I wore a variety of jackets ill-suited to conditions.

The waxed coats are also great, but as they are truly hunting garments, the level of specialization, i.e. the close fit, can get in the way of more cosmopolitan wear.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 PM) : 

I purchased a blue quilted jacket like this a few years ago on Duke Street in London. It has been relegated to my closet for the past couple of winters. Coincidentally, I pulled mine out this week and wore it over a Brooks Brothers merino wool half zip mockneck sweater and two t-shirts. It's such a great, casual all-purpose coat for our milder climate here in coastal North Carolina. Lots of pockets, too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 PM) : 

Wow, what a timely post - my husband and I purchased our first Barbour coats today, a waxed cotton for him and quilted jacket for me. We look forward to wearing them for a long time!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 PM) : 

I'm a sartorial newbie ... I've seen these jackets around, but have no idea where to purchase.

Little help?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 AM) : 

Ogawd... he looks so endearing... would love to bring him home.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:34 AM) : 

From fall to spring I don't go anywhere without my Allendale. Barneys is carrying Barbour now so I imagine they will be everywhere. Luckily, the rest of the country hasn't caught on to Filson jackets yet, an item Seattlites can still be proud to call our own.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 AM) : 

I never knew those were brabour coats. They must be widely knocked off. I have one in a womens' model. I like it, it's good to 10 degrees.

I would exercise some judgement as to whether they are good for business wear. It depends on your environment.

Mine is washable and I like that. Commuting is messy and spots aren't so stylish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 AM) : 

Aww, the look on his face is adorable! LOL!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:12 AM) : 

I agree! I got a quilted model last year - Orvis calls it a quail hunting jacket in their catalog - and it's one of my favorite pieces of clothing. It's the perfect weight to wear during the New Orleans winter and it always looks right.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

great picture, great coat - and I love the shoes!!!!

 

Blogger marie said ... (12:50 PM) : 

I love the coat and the humor in the post! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 PM) : 

In Italy the quilted coat is still popular but funnily enough associated with a 1980s yuppie look--it was paired with Lacoste polos or Brooks Brothers button downs, which at the time could not be bought in Italy...
Attractive but with connotations too conservative for my liking.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:48 PM) : 

I don't know...can't find a way to agree with the glowing appraisals of this style. Maybe I need to see the Italian version? Or the hunting style? This just looks too staid, too old-fashioned, too waspy, too non-descript for me to consider wearing...or to catch my attention as attractive on someone else.

But then I prefer layering with higher tech stuff for winter casual/everyday-wear (GoreTex, Pit-Zips, fleece, etc) and something beautiful and wool or cashmere for dress.

Could we see this in the Italian style (mentioned in a previous post) for a comparison?

- JCH

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:43 AM) : 

dude. you're kidding me. in the holidays i WORK at the barbour store in new york.

was it a woman serving you? in that case i can tell you who it was.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:45 AM) : 

ps. the new wax will come off if you hose it a bit, and just remember to brush your sleeve on your pockets everytime you swing your arms to make them wear. Shovind newspapers in your pockets also helps. so soes playing with young children.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:48 AM) : 

also, my brother might have been working there at the time. One of the people there was mother teresa's best friend, another (the man) is an ex- fashion photographer, and my brother cares about his clothes almost as much as you do!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:00 PM) : 

A link to the article about the increased popularity of Barbour jackets in NYC.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2006/10/21/waxed21.xml

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 AM) : 

Over the weekend my aunt and my friend's sister complimented me on my black Beaufort. I've had it for seven years now, bought it at Harrod's. Perfect souvenir before returning to NYC. Had it re-waxed and repaired once. Left some spots unfixed to keep the character. My friend Molly says that the nicest men she meets wear Barbours.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

Also consider authentic English makers John Partridge and Lavenham for quilted jackets. Roetzel specifically mentions Partridge in 'Gentlemen'.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 AM) : 

When I moved to Paris from NY in 1990, one of my friends asked whether that meant that I would be buying a "green quilted jacket." I did, and I have been wearing it and subsequent replacements ever since. I had to laugh over the over-enthusiastic repairations made to Scott's Barbour jacket. Whenever my husband gains weight, he lets me wear his until it fits again. He claims that there is no better diet incentive.

 

Blogger Arthur Clewley said ... (2:11 PM) : 

I have a bedale too. You can go walking for a day, at least in winter, and carry a map and case in the pocklet in the back lining, bottles of water, or something stronger, and everything else you need in the other pockets. I bought it from the factory in Tyneside. Didn't know they were seen much anywhere else except in the middle of a field or up a hill somewhere in the UK so pleased to know I am unwittingly wearing the same as the style concious new yorker.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

Alas, Barbour is now made in Eastern Europe. A shame.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:28 PM) : 

What a sex pot i love bald men!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 PM) : 

Couldn't agree more. I bought mine last year in Newport, RI at a store called the Royal Scotsman. It was a two piece job with a blue inner quilted jacket (like this gentleman's) and an outer, brown waxed coat with great brass fittings/zippers. You can wear the quilted one when it's dry and cool and the outer one when it's rainy or both when it really gets raw. The British really know how to look good when it's blowing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 PM) : 

For those who are interested, STP is having a clearance and there are quite a few Barbours available. I'm picking up an Allendale for $49.95. Get thee to their website!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:56 AM) : 

I have Barbour Liddesdale jackets in green and blue and the more heavyweight natural-fibre Eskdale jackets in black, blue, and mustard. Just about the cheapest way of achieving a totally English style! if anyone is in London at the time of the New Year sales, I would recommend a visit to "The Highlands", at the south end of Regent's Street. Liddesdale & Eskdale & other Barbour bargains.

 

Blogger Roslin said ... (12:15 AM) : 

Bought a Light weight New market Barbour jacket about 9 yrs ago. Love wearing it for UK springtime. Just wondering whether it is suitable for New York's autumn in October?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:40 PM) : 

The picture is actually a Matt Barnes Quilted Jacket, not a Liddesdale. Retails for $250 at Orvis.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:07 AM) : 

Anyone looking to come across a little 'street' with a barbour should check out the durham model. It perfectly straddles the gentrified and mod looks and make anything you have on look sophisticated.

Camden Market regularly has a couple. You just have to keep your eyes peeled.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:22 PM) : 

I agree with you. Barbour coats are an excellent value and they're great for cold weather. I like that they're so lightweight and go with just about anything.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 PM) : 

How much did the label cost as opposed to the actual coat - this designer stuff is a rip-off!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting