This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street.....Mixed Proportion, Manhattan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, November 26, 2006

On The Street.....Mixed Proportion, Manhattan

Comments on "On The Street.....Mixed Proportion, Manhattan"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:45 AM) : 

No, no, no, no, no, no, no! What a horrible sight - and on a Sunday morning, too! Hate the clothes/look. And the hair!!!

 

Blogger Butch said ... (11:21 AM) : 

This works, down to the neck thang with pendent that echos the "V" of the sweater opening.

Still, it seems rumpled and, perhaps, forced, even though fundamentally improvisatory....

 

Blogger Ilona said ... (11:28 AM) : 

don't like the boots, REALLY don't like the cross... just not doing it for me. think the grunge revival looks better on women...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

I love the whole assemble: the narrow pants with the boots and the big cardigan. The tousled hair and accessories are so sexy in a very relaxed way. It all looks so fresh and spontaneous...I want to chat with him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 PM) : 

Wow, I think I'm in love!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:50 PM) : 

I love the relaxed fit of the cardigan.

The best proportion play in this look is his hair.

 

Blogger Dulwich_News said ... (2:13 PM) : 

His hair and the boots are my favorite things in this shot.

 

Blogger marie said ... (2:17 PM) : 

How come he did not fix his hair? The look is great except for the messy hair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:26 PM) : 

coolllllllllllll

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:30 PM) : 

this does not work, reminds me of university... over sized 'comfortable' jumpers & big mugs of coffee

 

Blogger DK said ... (3:18 PM) : 

Depends on what your intentions are. Wonderful display of individualism, though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:33 PM) : 

Lovely!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:36 PM) : 

I'm not really sure why this guy is here..............

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:07 PM) : 

i like his hair and the bottom half. but the cardigan is messy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:05 PM) : 

I have been following this blog for quite a while but it is this photo that jolted me up. If this is style then most of my coworkers from the "durbs" will give this guy a run for his money. He looks dirty, unkempt and utterly like your typical slovenly roommate - a person that likes to borrow off clothes because he cannot afford his own. Everything is out mode here, in other words he looks like a slob.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:13 PM) : 

There are times I really wish you could get comments from your subjects about their outfits. This is one of those times.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:32 PM) : 

i like the look though the hair is a little too new-age synth artist for me. and I loathe the proliferation of rosarys as a fashion item...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:32 PM) : 

Sorry, I hate this. Men should look like men. This guy is not sexy. No precious discussion of proportion can convince me otherwise.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:02 PM) : 

This looks so much more modern to me than what is being marketed to me these days as modern. It's gutsy, it's clean, it's fresh and it's individual, like it or not and I do like it. But my question is this (since I have always dressed pretty much according to instinct): when you folks in the fashion industry start talking about proportions, what on earth are you talking about??? Please tell me, like you were telling a man from Mars because that is how little I understand. I.E., the proportion of his hair to what??? His boots? Please be really specific but in a way that I can apply universally to ensembles because this is a mystery to me the way you fashion people speak. By the way, lovely blog. Above all you celebrate the human spirit and the way some seem to find life an event and celebrate it even after all they must cope with. Your love and respect for people really comes across. Rock on.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:02 PM) : 

Needs a haircut.

 

Blogger molly said ... (8:08 PM) : 

love it! love tthe boots-pants

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:11 PM) : 

excellent hair.

 

Blogger The Vintagent said ... (8:12 PM) : 

I like that he's used all the elements seen this year on the runway - Dries van Noten, Dior, etc - with cardigans, skinny pants, boots; but he's played with scale and made the look his own. Definitely not following the herd, yet moving parallel. And thank god for that hair! Thanks Sart for showing Others.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 PM) : 

In many of these comments people define style by how neat and groomed somebody is, but is that IT?
Come on!, cologne, bags and ties when labels and money are not flashing? Like suits and expensive shoes are the answer to adult life. That is why most likely the offended are in the consumer world whereas the offenders are fine by being themselves and maybe even setting trends.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:02 PM) : 

seems he thinks he's much more on top of his appearance than he actually is. and its definitely not improvised- dime a dozen "i look like i know nothing, therefore i am sexy" except that knowing nothing here translates into frump.
-ATWR

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 AM) : 

So if he was a girl, the adventure of playing with hair and proportions will be fine? Can people even see how fashion plays in cultural gender constructs and how those determine the degree of progressiveness on a given place...?

He is HOT! like all tousled hair guys and girls are. Maybe many fail to see how the world moves forward thanks to long haired individuals.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:16 AM) : 

He's certainly relaxed and confident ... But it's either an individualist take on runway trends (see Vintagent's comment), or just some ill-fitting thrift store clothes haphazardly thrown together in a way that works. The hair is clearly 1970's retro.

Sart, I know you're throwing this one in to stir things up a bit. After all, what good would it be if every photo was Paris Vogue quality, generating a uniform chorus of oohs and ahhs? This is so much more interesting. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:55 AM) : 

Yes this is a nice blog.

The problem with his outfit is that he tucks his pants into the boots, and that's a tad effeminate. otherwise nice sweater.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:00 AM) : 

somehow this guy makes me think of Michael Bolton .......... and that's not a good thing ......

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:15 AM) : 

Friendly, neat, and approachable. This says, "I care about my appearance, but I leave room for you." Some looks while seemingly beyond criticism never really allow you close. He carries himself regally. He looks like a good prince.

I know if I asked this guy, (and I am not from New York), where the subway was, he would not only tell me, he would care that I got there safely.

Some looks say, I care about me to the exclusion of you. This look says, I care about me, but I care about you, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:47 AM) : 

Think I recognize this guy. He works in the cool/funky store in Soho called Character formerly known as Kariktar. Can anyone confirm?

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (7:06 AM) : 

for Lit
you're right there were a few more negative comments on this post but most on them did not seem like personal attacks on him so I let them pass - I think it made for a good discussion.

Moderating a blog like this is a very fine line.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:05 AM) : 

NO!

 

Blogger Butch said ... (8:06 AM) : 

A question to anon 6:32, who states that men should dress like men: exactly how is that? Exactly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:27 PM) : 

My god, why is everyone so upset? Because he's not wearing a three piece bespoke suit? It's not a groundbreaking look, but it's no worse than all those hipster girls the Sart likes posting all the time! You want to be offended by a saggy cardigan? Look at that beige girl from a few days ago! Why hasn't he combed his hair? Because he doesn't work in a bank, and because he likes it curlyu and wild and kinda rock n roll...
I'm really surprised by the narrow minded reaction here, very unlike the usual...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:16 PM) : 

The hair...needs a little product or a trim. It's too much a a fro for my taste. I dig the rest of the outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 AM) : 

I know this guy. Incredibly appealing and charismatic in person...and usually has a good look pulled together.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:01 AM) : 

ITA with Maria's (at Midnight) and Catherine's posts. The strange gendered double-standard expressed here makes no sense to me. The ragamuffin look is great for women but horrible for men? As for not looking "sexy," who cares. I certainly don't get dressed each day hoping to appear sexy to anyone.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:53 PM) : 

He reminds of all the boys I love...this is such a sydney look to me, most of my guy friends started this...very ksubi inspired...I love the new take on this graphic, very purposeful'devil may care' subtley high class streetwear...its crazy hot. And this guy wears it well in his attitude and his hair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:47 PM) : 

LOVE the look! it creates such a great silhouette with the tight pants and "sloutchy" shoes and cardigan. Envy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 PM) : 

I just adore this look on a guy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 PM) : 

Alright, so it's me.
43 comments, I'm awesome!
PAHAHA! I need a three piece suit and a faux hawk, right? yeah, so fashion foward. The same people that love Pete Doherty hate me, good times.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

Ohh! I love this look!! Jaja the bad thing is that it's too hard to me to understand all the commentaries and what they say ...!! If you were putting blogs in Spanish it would be perfect!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:07 AM) : 

hrrrr...I'm in love, too

 

Blogger Louise said ... (8:06 PM) : 

Relaxed. This guy has style.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting