This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...9th Avenue, Manhattan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

On the Street...9th Avenue, Manhattan

Comments on "On the Street...9th Avenue, Manhattan"

 

Blogger Butch said ... (9:04 AM) : 

This is about proportion--short sweater, short pants--and also the immediate indeterminacy of the sex of the wearer. Works equally well for male or female, no?

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (9:06 AM) : 

Very nice proportions in all the clothes! And I love the beat up/college professor look, esp. the bag.

I wish men would dress like that when they don't feel like being dandy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:10 AM) : 

I can't figure out why I love outfits like this. I think maybe there's a practical, timeless feel to it. Someone in the 1930s could have dressed like this. It's not trendy but just quirky enough to be understatedly hip.

Guy or girl? I don't think it matters.

 

Blogger Carlene said ... (9:26 AM) : 

All those cute girls in little coats today, and this is the one photo that gets me. It's the boots, the bag, and the shrunken proportions. And maybe the chin, a little.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

Saaaart, why I never see people like these in NYC?
This is so awesome...like a 2007 version of Charlie Chaplin's outfit.
I agree with the other posts, who cares if this is a man or a woman? The look is so personal and so well put together.
This person knows who he(she?)is...

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (10:15 AM) : 

Agree with Butch - I love the proportions on this too. The boots are great too. It all just fits! (No pun intended!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

what brand sweater is that?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:31 PM) : 

clodhoppers & highwater rollups.

works equally well indeed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:37 PM) : 

Fantastic look -- quite timeless. The proportions and textures of the clothing, shoes and bag are perfect. I also love how the cardigan buttons are a bit askew.

 

Blogger Janets Planet said ... (2:23 PM) : 

My guess is it is a guy -- well not that it really matters. Given a choice, they would not wrap their neck in a scarf real tight. Too tie like. -that and what appears to be a prominent adams apple. :-)

Like the look.

 

Blogger Cut of cloth said ... (2:37 PM) : 

Fabulous character!
Love the way the shape of his cardigans' leather button stand, is echoed in the bashed-up, old leather, satchel at his side. With its curves and worn furrowed edges. Then those great old brown leather hobnails... Wonderful
Would have liked to see his face though Mr Sart

 

Blogger Miriam Parkman said ... (2:40 PM) : 

lovely "lousy" look!
the cardigan look perfectly "I just grabbed it from somewhere" and the rest of his clothes really fit with that statement.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 PM) : 

I love this. THis is how I would dress every day if I could. A great example of how androgyny can be totally sexy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 PM) : 

That is very obviously a man (Adam's apple is apparent if you click on the photo).

I don't like this look at all. I'm glad that certain scrawny European types can pull it off, and it's probably goofy and appealing, but I'm just not taken with it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:02 PM) : 

This reminds me a lot of those old black & white photos of Beckett in Paris. I doubt this person has Beckett's hawkish looks, but there's something very Vladimir and Estragon about this look. No?

 

Blogger Bel said ... (12:23 AM) : 

Sart - you've posted a lot of photos the past couple of days, but I just keep coming back to this one. It's completely and utterly captivating! He/she just looks so comfortable. LOVE IT!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:03 PM) : 

It's a guy-- I have lit classes with this kid!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

I love this, too. Proportion and texture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:01 PM) : 

is this "the artist"

 

Blogger .francesca said ... (9:29 PM) : 

oh, this is one of my favorites from recent memory...the buttons on the sweater and the boots!

 

Blogger Sophia said ... (9:21 PM) : 

I would give anything to get my husband to dress like this -- why a lean, lanky guy wants to drape his frame in blousy shirts and baggy pants is beyond me. The 1930s feel of this photo is absolutely arresting and perfectly stylish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 AM) : 

after so many fleeting dates with all of these intriguing faces, i feel like they are old & familiar friends. i can invent for this one a face, knit by the personality so effortlessly displayed in your unparalleled site. you see more than just fashion, mr. sartorialist, you see the fabrics of life.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting