This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Thom Browne Tux, West Village

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, March 29, 2007

On the Street.....Thom Browne Tux, West Village

Comments on "On the Street.....Thom Browne Tux, West Village"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:06 PM) : 

I should have kept my Samsonite attache case instead of giving it to Goodwill eons ago. The metal frame is actually magnesium for lightness.

 

Blogger blackbird said ... (8:07 PM) : 

It's not that I don't get it -
I'm just not feeling it.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (8:08 PM) : 

...Proving that one is never fully dressed without a sense of humor. Or at least a bit (or more) of facetiousness.

A commentary on "dress-up," no?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 PM) : 

Rather tragic unless he's on his way to a black tie function ... if he goes to the office like this then i'm kind of speechless ... Sometimes the fine line between 'individuality' & 'costume' can be crossed - not good!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 PM) : 

There is a lot going on here, the hair and the glasses are great. I love it when people take fashion risks but I just can't help thinking of early Jerry Lewis.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:09 PM) : 

yes, he was on his way to a "black tie" event

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:23 PM) : 

I think the half foot of cuff showing is somewhat excessive.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 PM) : 

Hans...He works for Thom (used to be the specialtist at Bergdorf)so he wouldn't have been out of place at the Tribeca studio/showroom/store.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 PM) : 

I admire Thom Browne. Unlike many of his "peers", he is unwilling to compromise his integrity and vision as a designer.

That being said, this unfortunate individual is proof that if the proportions of his suits aren't PERFECT things can go drastically awry.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 PM) : 

What a delight to see him up here! This guy works with Thom Browne and sold me my Thom Tux (although my cuffs are a little less drastic). He is the kindest guy, and looks so great in these clothes. I especially love how his hair and glasses are pursuing an aesthetic project that almost lets the suit play second fiddle. The accessories are like a fantasia in some video arcade in 1982 but with that suit it looks knowingly chic. Thom Browne can so easily be worn as a schtick, or a fall-back into a pre-fab ideology of design, but this guy makes it authentic and sincere by doing it his way. He is just _rocking_ his own style.

 

Blogger Miss Stylologist said ... (10:09 PM) : 

My first reaction...WHOA! That's all I have to say!

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (10:10 PM) : 

Is he wearing a MULLET????

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 PM) : 

it would take some serious guts to wear a thom browne tux with ankles as white as his

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 PM) : 

Oh my gosh mullet!? Awesome!

 

Blogger fashionnerd said ... (12:34 AM) : 

interesting..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:04 AM) : 

that is hans...the cutest boy in NYC.
he looks fantastic, like the artist he is.

 

Blogger kenleejj said ... (1:28 AM) : 

I just don't like it. The problem is, I'm so divided about Thom Browne. I feel conservative for saying that this just looks ridiculous, because I totally admire Browne's drive to innovate, to change the way we look at the (American) suit. A part of me believes that he is a trailblazer who will be vindicated in 20 or 30 years, but another part of me just thinks that the whole look is silly. At the same time, there's this great article in a recent issue of the Japanese magazine Brutus, which profiles Browne and has him discuss male suiting with Paul Smith. It's an eye-opening perspective into Browne's world, and does a little to penetrate into his design consciousness.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 AM) : 

Ya know, it takes true confidence to pull this look off. I think it's groovy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:07 AM) : 

I find the man's courage and humor admirable. With that said, in my eyes it's totally Pee Wee Herman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 AM) : 

chic in a John Waters kind of way

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:48 AM) : 

I like it, I think that he wears it with confidence and it fits his hair and personal style. Well done.

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (7:06 AM) : 

I'm with Ken in this, cannot make up my mind. I know I would not wear this (can you imagine hairy legs peeping out of the pants? LOL) but it does not look good on him either. Maybe 5 cm more length on both pants and jacket would still keep the short look while making it more suited (no pun intendet) to his figure. And the suffocating buttoning does contribute to the "the dead relative was 3 sizes smaller" syndrome (a greek saying for when someone is wearing clothes of smaller or bigger size than he/she should)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:37 AM) : 

Is this to prove style or braveness? Seriously, that look turns Hans into a Haenschen, no man would seriously want that, or would he? On second look I'm alright with the wee jacket and the overlong cuffs. Trousers long in that context, please, and those shoes just look too old and sad for anything.

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (7:50 AM) : 

He totally owns it, so it works. Very "resigned cocktail waiter taking last call on the Titanic"--in a good way.

 

Blogger Cut of cloth said ... (9:44 AM) : 

Aaaaa!
Bless his cotton socks!
Actually thats whats needed...
Socks

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 AM) : 

This would work really well at the highschool prom for the guy who wanted to make a statement as teenagers are wont to do.

But once one grows up, this just ain't cuttin' it. Can you see Cary Grant wearing this? Or John Wayne getting his only Oscar? Or ... (fill in the blank)? Nope.

Nope.

 

Blogger lee said ... (11:44 AM) : 

i love it when someone can be daring! fashion is what it's all about is individualism and identity. i love it when costume/fashion/individualism/creative design meet.

 

Blogger kristin said ... (12:24 PM) : 

I am typically way into being creative/original with style, but this crosses that fine line into pretention/ridiculousness. It may be different if this was a moving picture with sound so I could feel this guy's personality. In a photograph, however, his personality seems like a total poseur.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 PM) : 

If I wore my Grandfather's suits , I would look like that

of course , I'm 6'4" and he was 5'8" ----- and my friends would say that I'm insane , but that's just me , and that's what makes fashion !!

 

Blogger SC said ... (3:42 PM) : 

I'm a big fan of extravagant way of dressing, but I'm not keen on wearing runway combinations before 9 p.m.

 

Blogger Mandy said ... (3:57 PM) : 

This guy looks fantastic. I love the unusual proportions, and his wicked hairstyle.

 

Blogger The Vintagent said ... (4:01 PM) : 

Buster Keaton... with a mullet! I cracked up when I saw this picture, which is clearly something this fellow is prepared for.

Having come of age as a punk, I'm appreciative of all kinds of transgressive attire. His costume is a very personal statement; placing them in a larger sartorial context is unfair, irrelevant, and misses the point.

TB's designs are an interesting subject for debate, but I think this fellow has taken the Browne ball and run away with it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:11 PM) : 

I dunno. It's a bit hard to tell where Thom Browne ends and Hans begins. I mean, he looks like he stepped out of the lookbook at the store. Since he actually works for Thom, I would expect him to look more "Thom Browne" than a customer would.

He reminds me of Eddie Izzard's comedy bit about fashion and the fine line between looking cool and looking like a complete dickhead. Eddie says he walks that line himself, and I think this looks is right there with him.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (10:10 PM) : 

Oh Boy!

 

Blogger Karen Morgan said ... (4:04 PM) : 

I'm totally not on board here. Can anyone say Revenge of the Nerds minus the pocket protector? I'm not really sure why the fascination with Thom Browne has taken such a deep root. I mean really, would you want to show up at Per Se with your date looking like that? I'm pretty sure they'd tell him to go home and change.

 

Blogger B.Chau said ... (4:10 PM) : 

thom browne makes me feel uncomfortable and inspired all at once. and thats why i love thom browne. it's definitely humorous in this play of proportions ( for me, its the extended shirt cuff which seems to seeping out his jacket sleeve endlessly that really gets me cringing), but even in cringing only because of my ideal of perfect proportions, i love that TB is doing what he's doing. it's obviously stirred up opinions and discussions of his work in whether its ridiculous or brilliant.

i just think it's ridiculously brilliant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:08 PM) : 

The ensemble is chic in a macabre sort of way. I picture this character driving a hearse.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:00 PM) : 

that nu-mullet actually sort of works for him...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:54 PM) : 

Say what you will about the Thom aesthetic, it takes a talented person to make what amounts to classic menswear controversial enough to warrant 38 widely divided comments. Not for everybody but brilliant nonetheless.

 

Blogger Three Repute said ... (3:15 AM) : 

there was a seinfeld where george was dressed very similar.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:40 PM) : 

i think its a witty play on extremes

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:45 PM) : 

He looks like a Tim Burton character.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 PM) : 

Sexy! He looks like a singer for some cool 80's new wave band. I think some socks would complete this look. However, if you're a man with any extra weight, don't try this look at home.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 AM) : 

Try.
Too.
Hard.
I like Thom Browne, but this guy isn't pulling it off.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:29 PM) : 

I'm sure where he's going, there will be a bunch of people dressed like him. He's an industry person, and he wears what he sells. Would he fit with America's political elite in some small political groupie? No. Would he fit in a fashion oriented black tie event? Certainly. It's all about context and the people living in that contextual cubicle.

The purpose of dressing up is to pay consideration to those around us. I think the black tie event he's going to would have a lot of people who will appreciate his audacity, with the assumption, that they would know who he is. If he were to come to "my" black tie party and dressed like, I'll have the guard giving him a good spanking.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 PM) : 

yeah, this look is the reason why i think half the people on this site are kidding themselves. really? this looks good? to whom?

someone, please tell me why this looks good?

-m

 

Blogger La Mona se viste de seda said ... (3:36 PM) : 

he washed his suit on hot watter?? hahahah!! just joking!

LA MONA SE VISTE DE SEDA
www.lamonasevistedeseda.com

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting