This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Kristin Rawson, Teen Vogue fashion editor

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, May 24, 2007

On the Street.....Kristin Rawson, Teen Vogue fashion editor

I think that there is a misperception that all fashion editors are pampered, over-privileged divas that earn a ton of money and get all their clothes for free.

I can hear it in some of the comments on my blog and from some people I meet on the street - they are inspired by fashion editors but they also feel a little disconnected from them.

Well, you shouldn't.

By far the majority of editors I have met over the last year are very much real women, just like you - they come in a whole range of sizes, ages, races, and ,depending on their management level, they make a very wide ranging scale of money.

What they all seem to have in common is a great style - thats why they are fashion editors.

I bring this up because yesterday I ran into Kristin Rawson, a fashion editor at Teen Vogue, ( disclaimer: you all know I'm a big Teen Vogue fan) and she looked so great - as you can see.

She was very happy and confident in telling me her dress was from Zara.

I thought that was really cool.

I'm sure (no, I know) many young editors or stylists ,trying to make a name for themselves, feel the potential pressure to always wear designer labels to prove they "fit in" with the fashion crowd. Thats why when I see someone like Kristen , looking great in Zara, I feel doubly inspired because she not only looks so cool but because she is doing it on her terms and in a way that works for her.

She seems to care about the result not the label.

I think that is one of the reasons Teen Vogue looks so good right now because the editors are not just dictating something to you but they are really living it - that's them on those pages.
Their style and attitudes are so clearly reflected on the pages.

Same with Paris Vogue, that's them, the editors, on those pages.

That is a major reason I like shooting the editors (and not the models) at the shows , they are the Derek Jeters of fashion.

Bravo Kristin.

Comments on "On the Street.....Kristin Rawson, Teen Vogue fashion editor"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 AM) : 

I've been checking out this blog regularly for quite a long time and I had never posted a comment.
I find the photos great and the people you choose are simply STYLISH (that's what I love about them).
So today, after reading the caption and totally agreeing I decided to comment.
Congratulations.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

The yellow works magic on her, perfect for her skin tone and hair color.

You hit the nail, fashion's not about expensive brands or anything but how to mix and mtch, accessorize. True personality reflects great fashion.

 

Blogger victime de la mode said ... (9:32 AM) : 

Well said, Sarto, and great shot. That light between the green leaves and this yellow sun ray in the middle...

 

Blogger lewehrman said ... (9:42 AM) : 

Bravo to you to, Sart!

Looks like we have a running theme here on The Sart:

"Fashion is fun!"

And its about time. Thx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:44 AM) : 

I just love to see how yellow matches well with blondes!!!!! Love the picture!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

Oh my Gosh...I absolutely LOVED what I just read. I'm not kidding...every single word of it! As much as I love high fashion and the fashion industry, I have to admit that today's obsession with "labels" is going too far. We forgot how to appreciate fashion for what it is and started to only look at what the tags. Basically, if it cost more, then it must be better!
I've been checking out this blog for a while as well, and I have to say, thank goodness for you! I think your honesty and eye for style is just fascinating. Not to mention how beautiful your pictures are. Keep up the good work!

Barbara

 

Blogger starbahks said ... (9:51 AM) : 

Great post.
And what a Great dress.
Great photo! :D

 

Blogger AM said ... (9:53 AM) : 

I've always preferred the styles of fashion editors and designers. A lot of them are unfussy but because they are creative people, they have a knack for putting together interesting outfits. Japanese fashion magazines regularly feature the styles of editors.

I like how this woman embraces the pale.

 

Blogger olivia said ... (10:00 AM) : 

I LOVE yellow, and she looks perfect. And I'd like to note: I work in vintage couture, and sometimes feel pressure (self-inflicted) to look a certain way. I had a wedding to go to a couple of weeks ago and was longing for a brightly colored dress, and all I had in my closet that I liked in theory was a sea of black. I tried on 20 dresses in shops (half from Anthro) and ended up with an $80 bright-red dress from ZARA. People thought I was in couture (one of the several people who asked me about it said that literally) and I felt like a million bucks. it was AWESOME.

 

Blogger FeiraChic said ... (10:02 AM) : 

You just said what a lot of people need to hear!
That's what I like about your blog. You're not afraid of your shots, nor your comments. Your honesty transpires through your work. That's why they are always so great.

 

Blogger LERIELUVLIE said ... (10:02 AM) : 

beautiful dress, ive got the same from zara and one from h&m, wearing it realy brightens up my day, just like this with gold sandals from zara or the ugly betty marc jacobs wedges (betty's), of curse mine is from The house of Zara...lol

 

Blogger madeline said ... (10:05 AM) : 

I almost picked up a copy of Teen Vogue yesterday because of your blog and I'm 41! I refuse to read the "adult" version - it preys on my insecurities.

She's adorable in yellow with that platinum hair and the black accessories ground her instead of her looking like she's jumping off the Hampton Jitney.

I still think there is a whole lot of style on the streets that is not Chanel, not Marni - not even H&M - that you not capturing. I just can't believe you rarely show women in jeans unless they are utterly fabulous European women. Really, not a lot of pants to be found here. Hmmmmmmm.

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (10:12 AM) : 

...*scampers off to Zara.com*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 AM) : 

LOVE HER SHOES!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 AM) : 

can someone please please please tell me who those shoes are from. i'm dying to have a pair like that!

 

Blogger Marilia said ... (10:43 AM) : 

So beautiful!

 

Blogger linenface said ... (10:48 AM) : 

Great shot, great comments. Can't agree with you more.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:55 AM) : 

Someone who is well in his/her own skin and has his/her own style gives style and improves the clothes he/she wears. Anywhere anytime. (The shadowy golden light coming from Central Park on the right is kind to the yellow dress and the overall color of its owner). Very good.
Cordelia

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Lovely shade with her hair and skin tone, a cut that is flattering and sexy without being super short and super tight and those carefree sandals that just make the outfit. And even though it's sunny she's not covered in a fake tan, thank goodness.

It's so refreshing to see a woman my age confident and independent-minded enough to wear what she likes and what she chooses for herself, when so many are adhering zombie-like to trends and brands.

She's exactly the kind of woman I'm glad is working in fashion and raising the bar.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:13 AM) : 

Couldn't agree more until you brought up Jeter. Go Angels!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

Gorgeous!! So cute and casual...and Kristen couldn't be any nicer!!

 

Blogger xoliquoricexo said ... (11:16 AM) : 

yellow is one of my favorites this season! she looks very pretty :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 AM) : 

She looks great!!! It is refreshing seeing someone from Teen Vogue in Zara, there magazine always features expensive designer duds which your average teenager could never afford to own, plus it always profiles the lifes of teens from wealthy families and the amazing rooms and designer clothes they have. Now if they could feature items like this from Zara and perhaps profile the lives of some "normal" teenagers they might have something.

 

Blogger Blue Floppy Hat said ... (11:28 AM) : 

She looks amazing, but somehow her magazine, to me, doesn't reflect that same philosophy, fun as it is- its How To photoshoots are a tad unimaginative and far too reminiscent of the adult version. This isn't reflective, as far as I can see, of the staff's taste, and I wish things were different. But then it's called Teen VOGUE after all...

 

Blogger Min said ... (11:48 AM) : 

love that dress on her. i like teen vogue too, mostly because it's a lot more realistic than vogue.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 PM) : 

I love Teen Vogue too and look to it for style tips more than adult Vogue. That said, I am over 30 years old and can afford some of clothing featured in it. It is afterall a teen mag, I wish it focused less on labels. I get a bit grossed out sometimes reading about 14 year old and their designer obessisons.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

I would also like to know where her shoes are from. Kristin can't you please tell us? You must be in here checking all the great comments you've got about your style, so please tell us. :)

The dress is so cute!

 

Blogger Andrea said ... (12:22 PM) : 

On the rare ocassion we get to read your thoughts, I just has to say that I loved this post and just had to comment. It's such a myth that people who work in fashion are well paid and get everything for free. Perhaps a myth that has been reinforced by such movies like The Devil Wears Prada (I often wonder about Andy's character, just how realistic is it that Nigel hands her a fancy new wardrobe). Let's just say that it doesn't cost a million bucks to look like it. Besides, I'd say that "Go Fug Yourself" is living proof that money doesn't always buy you style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 PM) : 

I think she looks very ordinary and I don´t like the sandals at all.The one thing in my opinion that is different in this pic. is that this girl is not as skinny as the ones normally presented.

 

Blogger siongc said ... (12:31 PM) : 

The yellow is divine! I am not in the fashion industry, have thus do not know much about editors and their sense of style, but this certainly solidifies the fact that great style and grace comes not from who designed the clothes, but from within and how clothes complement and portray your personality (and for this very reason, I think simplicity prevents distraction).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 PM) : 

Care about the result not the label. Bravo indeed! (And kuddos and thanks to you too, Sart, for articulating this so beautifully!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:46 PM) : 

she looks wonderful. and your article is really great. you know, we're all human, and it's too easy to loose sight of that when all you see of that world is the glossy, buy this, buy that, wear this, dont' wear that, that's ugly, that's beautiful. it's confusing and alienating. i love clothes, i love talking about clothes. but sometimes i feel empty after reading a fashion mag, like i'm falling behind. style is something that comes from within. (but then again, how can it not? that's where everything comes from!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 PM) : 

Bravo! I have been a Teen Vogue fan since it came out. I pick it up especially when I'm traveling because of its handy size. There are always inspiring, down to earth, wearable spreads.
Great write up! Wear the clothes, not the label.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 PM) : 

its doesnt matter how much it costs sometimes! its all in the good sense of style...like her! beautiful black ring, bracelet and handbag with a really bright yellow dress! very nice!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 PM) : 

She looks so carefree and happy--like a ray of sunshine. That yellow is definitely her color.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:33 PM) : 

Hmm ... If you go into the offices of British / French / Italian / American Vogue then 99.9% of the editorial staff will be wearing designer labels - Thats just the way it is, Teen Vogue is a totally different magazine to grown up vogue ... Also, why don't you like to shoot the models? If thats the case then you're totally missing out on amazing style - during fashion week in milan / paris / n.y i'm sure you'll agree that most models have great personal style while running between their numerous shows during fashion week ... it's a shame you feel that way b/c you're missing out ... surely there is room on this blog for both the editors & the models ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:38 PM) : 

You are so cool for this post...
I'd be your friend if I could. =)

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (1:41 PM) : 

Anon 1:33

I politely disagree that 99.9% of Vogue staff is wearing designer labels for the simple fact that the lower level staff cannot afford it.

Just like everyone working at McQueen or Jacobs don't always wear the product because they cannot afford it and the companies cannot give it away for free.

Yes they do get some free clothes as part of the contract or bonus but the amount is no that big.

I know from experience.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:42 PM) : 

Mr. Sarto, bravo. May your words trancend this overly inflated, label aware pack we all run in...cheers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:44 PM) : 

ah, she looks so lovely--what a great article!

xoxo

www.whowhatweardaily.com

 

Blogger Imani said ... (1:47 PM) : 

Teen Vogue actually does feature the rooms of "regular" teens occasionally, and though a lot of the clothes highlighted is "designer" they make an effort to show their readers how to adapt the look of the runway for themselves, even by literally putting together their own pieces with some needle and thread!

Gosh, I wish the mag had been around when I was teen.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:48 PM) : 

c'est parfait

 

Blogger Michael said ... (1:50 PM) : 

I don't know anything about fashion, but I dream of looking like that in a photo. You know, enchanting, only maybe a little more manly (but with just as much leg).

I'm a newbie. Adore your site.

 

Blogger Dwight S. Huggins =^..^= said ... (2:11 PM) : 

crisp, clean, unpretentious, understated, gorgeous. Parfait!

 

Blogger Amblus said ... (2:37 PM) : 

For anyone looking for those shoes, Oh...Deer! brand makes a freakishly similar style called "Capri". I bought a pair last week.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

Sweet look. Great happy color. Teen Vogue. Yikes. This magazine is geared toward the socialite teenager. Gone are the days when the most expensive item featured in a teen magazine was a betsey johnson frock for eighty bucks. Whats wrong with our society. Lets start em young. What teenager could possibly need a thousand dollar handbag. When I was a teenager (back in the Molly Ringwald rules era).I was stoked to get that twenty dollar esprit bag.( You know the hot pink one with the big pocket in front that said "esprit".) Shame on the warped parents that buy these girls these items. And shame on all teenage magazines that paint an unrealistic view of teenage angst.

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (4:26 PM) : 

Kristin is Pretty in Yellow.

To respond to your comment about most people thinking editors are spoilt and wealthy, I think that notion came from seeing Anna Wintour as the FACE of Vogue for so many years. And we constantly read about her $1 million annunal clothing budget, her $5 million paycheck, etc.

Most people don't know that beneath Anna Wintour, there are dozens of junior editors who manage the numerous projects and datelines who aren't paid as well as Ms. Wintour is.

Good comment there, Sart.

 

Blogger Miriam Parkman said ... (5:05 PM) : 

Wow! She could really wear yellow! Not many people fit in that bright, bright color.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:09 PM) : 

She is like a ray of sunshine. Definitely one of your best pictures. Great job!

 

Blogger dnqcnn said ... (5:25 PM) : 

ze dress!
how come i didnt see that one in stores?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:23 PM) : 

Anonymous at 4.23...

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!

I knows that capitals imply shouting - that's why I did that.

I am a shortish, balding, hetero-male fan of this site.

I adore the way Scott pinpoints 'street' style - that's what made this Blog great.

However, I don't check in as much any more. Lots of designer labels I'm afraid. Not so much 'ordinary' quirky style any more. I can well understand why this drift has happened... but still.

The whole idea of Teen Vogue is tragic. You do not need a PhD in Sociology to say that either. It runs counter to personal expression. Instead of Molly Ringwald making that pink dress, she'd buy whatever such-and-such is wearing... and lug about a disgusting handbag that's too big and costs and arm and a leg.

Please Scott, reflect a wee bit on returning to those fascinating human expressions we all loved.

Leave the labels, name checks and whatever to the days when you need to name the names to keep the boat afloat.

Remember, 'further up the tree the monkey goes, the more you see its ass'...

Jamaican Proverb.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:10 PM) : 

Though I wholeheartedly agree with the concept that one does not need to spend a lot of money to look chic, as a teenager, I am not a big fan of teen vogue. While this girl's personal philosophy on style is fantastic, I don't think it translates into the magazine. I feel that in their quest to provide the high-fashion inspiration of vogue and procure "affordable", wearable clothing for teens, teen vogue fails to do both. Instead of making a magazine chock full of cheap clothing with chic, fahionable results, they instead make one full of expensive, unorigional clothing.

 

Blogger André said ... (7:13 PM) : 

the text is rly good.
very inspiring to me.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (7:56 PM) : 

Nice to see an editor wearing cheap fashion well! The yellow dress looks nice with her light hair and skin. Easy and chic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:07 PM) : 

derek jeter ftl

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:11 PM) : 

Bravo, Sartorialist. Your comment with this photo was spot on. People live fashion in many different ways, and whatever way they decide to do it you're there to capture that in any and all incarnations. Provided they're stylish of course;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:44 PM) : 

Very nice-looking ensemble. I even like the sandals because they are delicate. It's always a fine line with yellow and black. One doesn't want to look like a bumblebee.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 PM) : 

I couldn't agree more with "The Sartorialist"... it's not the label but the individuals that we view in these photos that have a sense of style. Carine Roitfeld & Emaneulle Alt (Paris Vogue) have incredible taste & style. They also have the funds that allow them to dress in the manner that they do. They are an inspiration just as the designers that produce the product that we purchase or would like to purchase. It's about "individuality" and or "personality" of a person.

Photos are terrific as the people illustrated are real "folks"... my favorites are the photos of women & men probably over the age of 50...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:12 PM) : 

Congratulations to both: the writer and the lady pictured! GREAT!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:17 PM) : 

Love the yellow dress!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:46 PM) : 

It's refreshing to hear someone agree with me. Fashion just doesn't have to do with labels. It cannot be bought, it must be lived. In my opinion, Half of the time and the more labels on your back, it's almost tawdry anyway.

I'll refer back to Coco Chanel, as I think she put it nicely. "Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." - Coco Chanel.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 PM) : 

i had a friend who used to do editorial work at vogue--while they do earn a pittance, many of these girls come from wealthy families that help subsidize their living expenses and wardrobes. please, do you really know that many people who have done editorial work at vogue who are from humble backgrounds?

 

Blogger Priscilla I'Anson said ... (10:24 PM) : 

you are in inspiration. bravo to you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 PM) : 

she looks like a baby bird! in a good way, she epitomizes the sass and spirit of a fledgling off to make its way in the world. the reference is perfect.

i find a virulence in the way that you, Sart, defend the "stylishness" of the 99.9% of people in the fashion industry, reproduces an assumption of the critics who view it all as a game of priviledge. i like this 'daddy' mode less than the one whose overall insistance is find joy in engaging with the world in ways that you value and acknowledge with openness the work- fashion is, as you point out, serious business too! -play, imagination, and care of the other people who show up. now i don't know if i've managed to be less preachy...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:44 PM) : 

Awwww, I love seeing an Aussie made good! I always liked Kristen from the days she used to work for Aussie ... I want to say Cleo? It was Cleo or Cosmopolitan anyway.

Beautiful dress, and I'm envious of how she wears yellow so well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 PM) : 

I like her style!

 

Blogger Falcon said ... (11:15 PM) : 

"It's not about what you wear it's HOW you wear it"

:)

 

Blogger Garbed said ... (12:21 AM) : 

She does look lovely, perfectly late spring. The black cuts nicely through the yellow (or does the yellow cut nicely through the black?). Why are people so anxious to know "Where those shoes are from?!?" ? This seems to be one of the points of your posting: the label doesn't matter--can't people catch the general idea of the little sandal without being so literal? Almost ANY one would do; go high-end if you can and want them for years or go low if that's what you can afford or care about. Great post, great site!

 

Blogger sKyemermaid said ... (12:44 AM) : 

i check only three blogs on a daily basis. one of them is yours.

i have been visiting your blog for a long time now. i have forgotten how i came across sartorialist but it does not matter. all that matters is that you are still here, informing me, entertaining me. me and thousands others. i am so proud of the achievements of this blog.

what you have posted makes today a good day to post my maiden comment here.

congratulations and thanks.

 

Blogger Kits said ... (1:15 AM) : 

She looks awesome in tht yellow dress. Reflects her surroundings

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:31 AM) : 

I have just started to read your blog and I absolutely love it. And I would like to thank you for today's posting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:04 AM) : 

I think Urban Outfitters sells those (or identical) sandals, for those who were wondering....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:13 AM) : 

Hello, it is a very nice comment but I will have to disagree.

ZARA IS a SPANISH BRAND KNOWN FOR COPYING COUTURE.

Most of their collections are inspired by fashion designers' work.
That is why they are constantly being sued.

 

Blogger Tiger said ... (2:47 AM) : 

Very well written, Sart!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:04 AM) : 

Dear Sart,
I have been following your blog for almost a year now and I must say that I really like when you write those long commentaries. Being a fashion editor myself I have to say I absolutelly agree with all you have written. Just last night I was out for a dinner in a zara dress and I got comments from people how stunning i looked in it. style is not about money. that is for sure. thanks again.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:38 AM) : 

Has Teen Vogue changed from when I last picked up a copy (2 years ago)? My recollection of the magazine is it's filled with Marc Jacobs, Balenciaga, Chanel and such worn by the Olsens and kids of that crust, those with allowances bigger than the regular income of average working americans.

 

Blogger Linz said ... (4:54 AM) : 

i have to say while the dress is lovely, she makes it! on another girl this might not be such a captivating picture. same can be said for the photographer, he brings her to life in this shot. as for teen vogue being about rich kids and labels, you can't escape it in this culture. it contains smart, clever writing and is designed to inspire young women which i think it achieves. i suppose there are many people who may feel marginalised by the magazine but that can be said for any publication.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:25 AM) : 

As a former Conde Naste employee, I can assure you that the vast majority of staff at Vogue are dressed in the 'big labels' irrespective of their position. This doesn't mean they get vast amounts of free clothes from designers, it means that they have the know how & ability to shop wisely & though many staff at the likes of Vogue don't have a huge pay check they can still manage to get the must haves of the season to pull their entire outfit together. Most of them are also very smart when it comes to Vintage designer pieces & past season pieces that can fit in with current season trends.

 

Blogger Nigerian Woman in Norway said ... (7:04 AM) : 

keep snapping the editors, sart. i have no idea why anyone cares what models wear off the runway.

besides kate moss(who is slipping these days) none of them are stylish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:55 AM) : 

very nice post.

 

Blogger Bel said ... (8:21 AM) : 

Absolutely love that dress, and that colour on her is amazing. 10/10!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 AM) : 

I, too, grew up in the Molly Ringwald era (nod to anon 9:23 pm) and designed my junior prom dress from a thrift store dress. They were not called "vintage" back then and were cheap and chock full of gems.

I read my mother's Glamour and Mademoiselle way back starting at age 8 and remember reading Seventeen then, too. The editors would tout Chinatown, home dying and other "non-fashion" places to shop. It made me so excited and I became a master home dyer and sewer. The desired look was that of real individuality based on a special experience of finding something different.

I keep hearing how "great" Teen Vogue is but I wasn't that impressed. The prices and labels are for the most part not based in reality and become aspirational instead of inspirational.

I long for the days of real fashion pioneers like Iris Apfel. Look her up, if you are interested.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:56 AM) : 

I have been buying Teen Vogue for the past 2 years as well, and lets just say I have not been a teen for umm.. quite awhile. There is a freshness, personality, open feeling and fun not often seen in other magazines. Anyway I love this post, your words even more so than the image (a Sarto book at some point, per favore?) well the images and words match perfectly. There is a reason I look at your site everyday :-)

 

Blogger Matthew said ... (1:27 PM) : 

Like the other post I have been reading this blog for a while now and never posted a comment until now.

I could not agree with you more, fashion is not about the tag.

And too many people wear something because it’s a name that looks bad on them.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:23 PM) : 

It took this post to make me recognize the elephant in my closet. I believe I have been favoring labels over substance and as a result, my clothes have often been wearing me.
Today this ends, it’s time for me to get back to the basics and simply be myself and wear what I love.
Thanks Sart, I think you’ve help become a better person.

 

Blogger jamie and jefferson said ... (4:26 PM) : 

i could not agree more with your take on teen vogue. as a 32 year old woman, i am consistently more inspired by them, than by their older sister.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:50 PM) : 

yes, yes! result over label. Im not 100% if I truly believe so or if it's because life has forced me to think this way. Fact= Style is a personal, not a budget, issue.


that yellow dress is marvelous.

 

Blogger Muddy said ... (8:58 PM) : 

there's so much honesty in what you wrote, i simply gravitated to every word. thanks for the perspective here sart; it gives me comfort that there are real people in fashion.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 PM) : 

Nigerian Woman in Norway said...
"keep snapping the editors, sart. i have no idea why anyone cares what models wear off the runway.

besides kate moss(who is slipping these days) none of them are stylish."

I'm sorry but clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. The vast majority of models are extremely stylish because it is a requirement of their job & if they are in any way slouchy etc... they will be pulled up by their agency. During shows in Paris / N.Y / Milan the models are usually the most stylsih out of everyone while they're darting between the shows & just as stylish / more stylish than Kate Moss who you mentioned. All the high fashion magazines usually have features / pics of the models 'off runway' looks & most of the girls look amazing ... at the moment Irina Lazareanu's personal style is amazing, Agyness Dyn also has amazing personal style but overall most of the girls are great at mixing vintage / designer pieces & usually look fantastic - I suggets you do some research & you'll see for yourself & also considering the amount of high fashion models there are you're making a pretty broad statement that NONE have any style ... Puh-Leeze!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:22 AM) : 

this is just so great! sart, you really are like a modern-day lartigue.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:11 AM) : 

There is a fresh, clean simplicity here right down to the flat and flirty sandals.


http://prettykittypublishing.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:25 AM) : 

love how the dress looks on her! I would love to see you feature more stylish people that are not decked in branded clothes e.g Marni, Gucci, etc... For me, Zara is a splurge!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 AM) : 

Gorgeous photo and great commentary as always. It's fabulous to see Australians making their satorial mark on sites such as this!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 AM) : 

Go Kris!!
i remember when she was a humble fashion assistant working on Aussie magazine Shop Til You Drop in Sydney
I love the colour of this dress. I thought it only looked good on brunettes, but i was wrong.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:49 PM) : 

The lady looks lovely. And you are absolutely right that style has nothing to do with labels or price.

Still, I am always a little disappointed when I find out that someone in your street photos is in the fashion industry as an editor, model or anything else. Of course people in the fashion world look good; it's their profession. That's like saying a scientist knows science or a lawyer knows law. We'd be justifiably disappointed in them if it were otherwise.

I'm far more inspired by people who have style while living a life outside the industry. Sure, I might be impressed by a talented professional. But it's the gifted amateurs that should really be cherished.

 

Blogger Secretary of the Cognitive Interior said ... (2:36 AM) : 

lovely. she looks like jeanne seberg in breathless. a happy little peep of spring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

I bought those same shoes at Mollini in Sydney over summer - if she's an Aussie, maybe that's where she got them too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:44 PM) : 

I love that the fashion editor of Teen Vogue actually looks like a real person. For some reason I thought that she would be a, well different then in this picture. I love the yellow dress and simple sandals. Yellow is a very bright and happy color that I love to see.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:37 AM) : 

Well in fashion there is always going to be an inexpensive version of the expensive/designer original. it's the copy! that's how the market works. capitalism 101

Also with dresses, most vintage style dresses are classic. Like the yellow dress it is based on a vintage style, this is the best kind of dress. Dont' designers get their inspiration from vintage anyway?

 

Blogger Kelly said ... (9:29 AM) : 

Once upon a time I interned and freelanced with W magaine. I find what you are saying to be true. While there were a few standout and intimidating editors, most of them just simply had a flair for personal style. Many of them even wore the same core expensive designer pieces over and over, but just accessorized them differently or wore them with different, less expensive pieces.

Fashion editors work so hard (as do their assistants and interns) and they often need to be unhindered by tricky fashion so that they can move around the office, the streets, the shoot locations, etc. Having great personal style that is functional is an art form!

(p.s. My favorite editor of all time rocked a pair of gray Helmut Lang jeans at least 3 times a week!)

 

Blogger Disneyrollergirl.net said ... (7:51 PM) : 

Agree with Anoymous 9.08. I love the off-duty model look (although it doesn't hurt that they're young and gorgeous too)...

 

Blogger nshgrl said ... (2:41 AM) : 

people asked about the sandles because they are lovely. Not one person asked about the designer. geez.

wonderful post. I am a 41 year old single mom who tries to stay stylish on a budget. This was truly inspiring. Thank you.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:25 AM) : 

She looks beautiful - that yellow suits her hair and the photo itself is perfect!

Style is a personal interpretation. You can give two people access to unlimited money and 'high and low' lines and the results will be vastly different because we all have different tastes and styles. That's why I love all your street shots!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 PM) : 

I am new to this blog and I really enjoy it. I love the photos of people on the streets of New York. Its great to see the different styles of different kinds of people. I think it gives a new perspective on different styles. The thing I particularly liked about the article on Kristin is that it gives those of us looking to pursue a career in fashion some hope! Its nice to know you can be involved in fashion and not be a total fashionista. Most of us are regular people looking to do something we love, not rich socialites!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:57 PM) : 

I love her outfit and she looks gorgeous and happy. I'm especially psyched that her dress is not only beautiful but affordable + not really a label label, but her shoes remind me a LOT of these louboutins I saw once.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:15 AM) : 

I like the sleeve length here. I also like her presence, dainty pose and the overall palette. I like the picture - it makes me wonder if you planted those background trees on purpose to have the light match her dress.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 PM) : 

Amazing!!!!! I love your blog, and this post is especially inspiring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:35 PM) : 

As somone wo has worked with Kristin in the past, I am so glad that people are singer her praises.

Teen Vogue has captured a gem and it is evident in what I have seen.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 AM) : 

love the happy colour and happy photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

I TOTALLY AGREE with this.

Fancy clothes do not make you to be diva.

Being confident and honest make you to be DIVA

ATTITUDE and your MIND are the most important things!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 AM) : 

they all seem to have in common is a great style - that is why they are fashion editors.
____________________________________
Send flowers to Pakistan

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting