This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Hello from Roma

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, June 18, 2007

Hello from Roma

So I just spent the late afternoon in Rome but unfortunately this is the best dressed guy I found. I expected some tourists but Rome is all tourists right now.

Tomorrow i will be in Florence for the beginning of Pitti Uomo , the big menswear trade show, which is like the Super Bowl of style for men.

When I was there in January I got some of my favorite shots during Pitti.

Comments on "Hello from Roma"

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (2:34 PM) : 

Have fun there! That meens we are going to see some shoots from Rome?!
Great!

 

Blogger DanDM said ... (2:38 PM) : 

That's one creepy mannequin - creepier than usual.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 PM) : 

why not spending some time in venice, having a look at the biennale?

 

Blogger positively the same dame said ... (2:52 PM) : 

cast out naked, a double-amputee with don king hair, and yet so brave...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:57 PM) : 

Can you not imagine this guy saying "Ciao!".

-- desertwind

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 PM) : 

I LOVE PITTI UOMO!!!!
Looking forward to some great shots and great gear.

And please keep your eye out for Mr Armani Red. : )

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:17 PM) : 

SCARY!!!!

 

Blogger cranberry said ... (4:26 PM) : 

Hee!

Waiting eagerly for the photos.

Love you, Sart! (in a nice non stalkerish way)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:42 PM) : 

make the best of it. Florence will probably be no difference, regarding tourist count. Walk the narrow side streets instead- hope you will enjoy and looking forward to view the results.

 

Blogger Cristina said ... (4:47 PM) : 

I will be Liut. Colombo in Florence trying to find you!
Enjoy your time here in Florence!

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (5:19 PM) : 

That made me screech a little.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:49 PM) : 

I used to live in Rome. It pretty much gets taken over by tourists from Easter onwards. In July and August it's reminiscent of Dante's inner circle, so the natives just leave.
Of course it has plenty of stylish people, they're just a bit harder to find at this time of year. Like leopards in the Serengeti, they shy from the camera-toting hordes. There are some wonderful clothes shops too, especially the smaller places that sell only one thing - usually shirts or gloves. And the great Davide Cenci.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:20 PM) : 

He's fashionably thin, but the facial expression ... I don't know, but to me, it's a bit over-the-top. And the hair is a disaster.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:33 PM) : 

A mannequin with nipples-- you're obviously in Europe.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (6:46 PM) : 

He looks like Mr Jay from America's Next Top Model.

Same tan...same hair color.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:07 PM) : 

hehe, i can totally hear him saying'caio'

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 PM) : 

I was just about to say!! That mannequin is extremely creepy looking. The realistic face may be the main problem.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (7:29 PM) : 

Wow-not one stylish person in all of Rome?
How sad!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 PM) : 

Well now you're just wasting our time.

 

Blogger Rolando said ... (7:56 PM) : 

I suppose this means that tourists in Rome are generally quite poorly dressed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:08 PM) : 

Oh dear. Someone put some clothes on poor Jay Manuel, please.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 PM) : 

This reminds me of Jay Manuel on ANTM

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 PM) : 

He looks awfully cheery about his ensemble - I guess it's just the joy of being in Italy.

 

Blogger Blaise said ... (9:54 PM) : 

The mannequin looks like Jay from Tyra's America's Next Top Model..You know, the make up artist..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 PM) : 

lol :) love your site, the pictures, the stories.
Thank you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 PM) : 

More like best undressed! Interesting shot.

 

Blogger Big Eyes Strange Names said ... (11:28 PM) : 

aww, too bad. today i saw two gentlemen decked to the nines- one on the train, the other sitting on a bench on Atlantic Ave. in Bklyn- and i thought to myself 'the sartorialist would definitely snap a picture of him!' this thought crosses my mind quite often:) good luck tomorrow!

 

Blogger Disneyrollergirl.net said ... (12:07 AM) : 

Cool, sometimes the menswear shows are beter than womenswear...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:12 AM) : 

this is soooo creepy.

 

Blogger javi obando said ... (12:46 AM) : 

we love your work... saludos from buenos aires city

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (1:51 AM) : 

Funny photo!! But put a speedo on the poor guy. :-)

 

Blogger LE BLOG said ... (2:26 AM) : 

The picture is artful!

 

Blogger MacGuffin said ... (3:08 AM) : 

Umm, I take you (or someone you know) placed it there. Otherwise, not what I would expect to be typically lurking around the streets of Rome. In New York yes, in Rome, no.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:58 AM) : 

this looks like a less plastic, more friendly version of Jay Manuel...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 AM) : 

It's not that there are only tourists. There are only few people in Roma that know how to dress well...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:39 AM) : 

Creepy is the right expression here. Looks like Chucky's brother. I'm looking forward to the shoots from Florence.

Greetings from Germany, Sabrina.

 

Blogger Bel said ... (5:55 AM) : 

Hahahahaha.....that mannequin even LOOKS Italian! :oP

Have fun in Italy Sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:11 AM) : 

Can't wait for Pitti Uomo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:36 AM) : 

I'm not going to say it...(probably wouldn't get posted!) Have fun at Palazzo Pitti!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:54 AM) : 

Hi Sart,

I think you did not go to the right places in Roma. Of course if you go where are turists and not the locals you will never find any nice dressed people.
Is like going to look for nicely dressed people inside the Colosseum.
Next time you are in Roma I would suggest you to go to Trastever in the evenings. There is interesting crowd.

Keep on the good job!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:04 AM) : 

creepier than usual couldnt be more apt!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:38 AM) : 

Well then Mr. Schumann, you missed me while I was in Rome over three weeks ago!

Me standing infront of the vatican - dark slim straight jeans, striped blue button down, funny little blue tie with green little British soldiers on it, slim herringbone blazer, fedora, and light brown shoes. I'm sure I would have caught your eye. All the Romans were looking at me! I certainly stood out.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:42 AM) : 

Love it when you say Super Bowl of fashion, sounds both down to earth and far away from any profanity.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 AM) : 

Do you think that the tourists are the problem? I always thought that Rome has a much more casual style than cities up north such as Milano or Firenze. That does not mean that casual style = no style, maybe you just expected something different, being in Italy...no?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:00 AM) : 

hahahaha

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:11 AM) : 

I'm sorry, you're a brilliant photographer and I'm obsessed with your site, howerever that is the scariest picture I have ever seen. seriously. I'm going to have nightmares.
The hair, the nakedness, the creepy smile...
Please stick to photographing clothed people.
Again, you are brilliant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:14 AM) : 

I actually find him quite sympathetic. As for your comment about the level of dress in Rome - ouch!

 

Blogger senegal dandy said ... (9:14 AM) : 

THAT DUMMY GIVES ME A WEIRD 80'S DAVID BOWIE VIDEO VIBE!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:15 AM) : 

Im sorry, you are a brilliant photographer and I'm obsessed with your site, but that is the scariest picture I have ever seen. seriously. I'm going to have nightmares.
The hair, the nakedness, the creepy smile...
Please stick to photographing clothed people.
Again, you are brilliant.

 

Blogger anna/village vegan said ... (10:22 AM) : 

I'm really surprised-- I know I've seen well-dressed Romans, but I supose that was during the winter. Florence should be fun! Can't wait to see what you see.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 AM) : 

I love his socks! :)

 

Blogger G said ... (11:06 AM) : 

hmm... don't know. I like him.
Single?
:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 PM) : 

ooh freaky

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41 PM) : 

If you are looking for something to do, I suggest going to the Church of San Clemente, which is located between the Colosseum and San Giovanni. It is a 13th century church, built on top of a 12th century church that was built on top of ancient Roman apartments and a temple to the god Mithros. The best part about seeing this place is that the very first instance of written Italian (as distinctive from Latin) can be found in the middle layer on a fresco. Depicting the miracle of San Clemente, his persecutors mistake a column on the ground for his body and their foreman yells "Traite, Traite fili delle pute!" Which means, of course, "Pull, Pull you sons of whores!" Leave it to the Italians...

 

Blogger s.212 said ... (12:47 PM) : 

I remember when I went to Roma in the winter they were many well-dressed men there but not too many stylish women :S
oh! and may I suggest going to a restaurant called "Ao" in the Piazza di Spagna? The food is top line and the manager is very warm-hearted :)

 

Blogger Ali B. said ... (12:47 PM) : 

1 happy mannequin for having no hands & ribs that need a serving of meat.

 

Blogger PAULO said ... (12:53 PM) : 

I can't wait to see your new finds.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:23 PM) : 

ha ha, I love the mannequin shot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:05 PM) : 

That's really creepy! What's next, you're gonna shoot pics of Real Dolls?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:28 PM) : 

Buona sera mr.sartorialist,

Hope you enjoy Firenze. I was fortunate enough to live there a few years back. The town always struck me as one of the most inspiring in regard to fashion (of course aside from all the art and fantastic architecture). So I am eagerly awaiting your shots.
Make sure you have aperitivi and don't miss a panini con lampredotto. (honestly they are the best.) Also the best gelato you used to get just diagonaly from ponte vecchio going towards the uffizi along the river. (they do a wonderful riso flavour and a great peanutbutter flavour to tempt the american palate)
sorry didn't mean to turn into a touristguide...I'm just dreaming of Italy.
A presto.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:28 PM) : 

oh my god sart!!

we Romans have generally a good sense of style, it all depends on the places you visited!

 

Blogger Gretta said ... (3:02 PM) : 

He needs some gloves.

 

Blogger Susana Rodrigues said ... (3:44 PM) : 

hehe funny mannequin!
I love Rome, but yes during the summer its full with tourists! :)
though its a very fashionable city :)
ciao
Su

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (4:16 PM) : 

what about actually looking for descently dressed turist in Rome, after all the saying of "when in Rome do what Romans do" might be aplyied to turists aswell...too much to expect?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:55 PM) : 

Non è che nel resto dell'anno puoi trovare di meglio...Roma è la città eterna, è stupenda ma sullo stile non hai speranza...
A Firenze andrà meglio!!
buon viaggio! eli

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:46 PM) : 

He's good looking at least ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:58 PM) : 

i agree with daniel...that is so creepy!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:23 AM) : 

hahahaha! :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:27 AM) : 

oh, wow, spot-on about Jay Manuel! :))

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:34 AM) : 

Dear Sart, it is funny to read all those comments, I guess from (90%) people who were turists in Roma and not living there.
Well, I was in NY as a turist and I did not see any stylish people as well. That is only because I do not know where stilish people hang.
Rome is really stylish, you only have to know where to go. If you do not know...then you are a turist!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 AM) : 

I think, this picture is in the best tradition of Italian fairytails: ladies and gentlemen, modern day Pinocchio!:-)))

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:48 AM) : 

Ha! Great shot!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 AM) : 

yes..I do know what you're talking about..Rome in the summer is all tourists and not a one without their shorts and backpacks, with an occasional fannypack,which should be outlawed,among them

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:05 PM) : 

No lie, when I was scrolling down the page and only saw the head of this mannequin I seriously thought "Jay Manuel from Top Model". Then i saw the rest of the picture, shifted my eyes from side to side, and said, "oh". Can't wait to see more pictures.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:30 PM) : 

Hope you will come back to Rome soon, us romans are looking forward to redeeming ourselves. I promise you will not be let down. It certainly doesn't do the Milan style, and proudly so , may I add. But the weird thing is that you didn't see any interestingly dressed tourists; they seem to dish out their best frocks when they enter Italy... trust me, I own a boutique in the centre, and I see them all! Love the tourists!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:34 PM) : 

oh! Sart! you think so 'cause you didn't meet me! ..i think i know the died man in the pic...

 

Anonymous reina said ... (11:27 AM) : 

why does he remind me of that mr.jay guy from the americas next top model? the hair and the skin tone- totally

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting