This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Runway to Reality....Belted Cardigan, Soho

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, September 21, 2007

Runway to Reality....Belted Cardigan, Soho


It seems every season I see a Burberry runway look with a cardigan or trench worn open with a belt holding it in place. I always think it looks great but I hardly ever see anyone doing on the street.

This young lady ,however, has done it in a really great, natural way.

I also like how she is transitioning her summer wardrobe into early Fall.

Comments on "Runway to Reality....Belted Cardigan, Soho"

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (9:39 AM) : 

I love belted cardigans, and her outfir is great! Love her look and the color of her cardigan!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 AM) : 

i use belts quite often like this, but i am in chicago and i just do it because it's cold and looks a little better than a frumpy sweater.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (9:51 AM) : 

This photo made me smile. I'm a sucker for cardigans. There's nothing cuter than a pretty lady in a cardigan. And pinstriped (chalkstriped?) shorts! Nice.

 

Blogger Landis said ... (10:15 AM) : 

come to san francisco.

it's always 65 degrees here, this look is all over the streets.

maybe you guys need some more moderate weather. . .

 

Blogger Margherita Antinori said ... (10:21 AM) : 

I like belted cardigans but you need to be thin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 AM) : 

She knows how to work a sweater! Her look is polished, casual and yet the Louis takes it up a notch!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 AM) : 

Beautiful color coordination. Stylish belt. Beautiful smile. Beautiful legs. (Not so beautiful flip flops)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 AM) : 

don't see the brilliance in this outfit. flip flops are completely nasty.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:09 AM) : 

Very well put together. I would like to rock this look but I am very busty so I am not sure proportionally how this would look on me...oh well...kudos to her!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (11:09 AM) : 

Yes, she looks fantastic! Love that forest green too.

 

Blogger Cardigans and Couture said ... (11:14 AM) : 

I LOVE this look. I am always trying to figure out how to make a cardigan look a bit more fashion forward, and she has done it so well. I love how she mixed her colors. She looks simple and chic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 AM) : 

There is nothing better in the world, for anybody of any age or sex, than a cardigan!

I especially love how she also wore a vest underneath her cardie. It is something I am waiting to do when the weather cools down here in Toronto.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

I agree that she has made some interesting choices here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36 AM) : 

she looks so comfortable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

But where are her shoes?

 

Blogger positively the same dame said ... (11:50 AM) : 

i sometimes see the open belted trench -- it was really big here a few years ago and if i'm not mistaken bill cunningham featured it one sunday -- but the cardi is a newer look and definitely a welcome sight. very cute on her, the whole look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 AM) : 

New zealand designer Karen Walker uses brown belts over peacoat jackets for to accentuate the waist (RTW Fall/Winter 07/08), which looks amazing.

Love the double cardigans on this lady and the colour as well :-)

 

Blogger Andy said ... (12:45 PM) : 

Everything is perfect until the eyes drift to the flip flops. It sort of throws the whole outfit askew, but hey comfort is key also!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:48 PM) : 

Yes, the upper part of her is moving towards fall,but what about the shoes? Sandals don´t fit in the picture. She wears darkish colors in her clothes and then suddenly.....sandals. I like her clothing though.

 

Blogger Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said ... (2:39 PM) : 

completely brillant from the knee up--but flip flops???

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:51 PM) : 

She does the belted cardigan(s) well but those flip flops have got to go!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:07 PM) : 

sim um mix de verao e outono...sempre ficamos uns dias baralhados

 

Blogger Cook said ... (3:42 PM) : 

i love this! i have a cardigan like that from banana and i would love to figure out how to pull off that look. seeing this beautiful girl pull it off so effortlessly makes me think i could do it too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:12 PM) : 

At least they're green : P

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (4:34 PM) : 

I like this look... but doesn't it make one look a teeny bit bulky...? I know I'd look like a cow.

*sigh*

 

Blogger Saffron said ... (4:41 PM) : 

I love the outfit which shows off her lovely legs. We all know that although we all look classy in heels, flip flops represent summer.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (4:50 PM) : 

This is one of my favorite ways to wear a cardigan! If only she had worn something other than flip flops...it ruins the look for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:55 PM) : 

Yes, indeed, simple chic is what street wear is all about -- very nice. The LV is ok, but really not necessary -- why put a label everywhere, rather than let the outfit speak for itself? As for the flip-flops: they are just right -- the colour matches the cardi-colour (and what a nice green that is!), and they round up, what you call the transition between summer and fall looks: they are the left-overs from the beach, and the cardie is half-way into fall.

Well done -- more of this type of simple elegance please!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:23 PM) : 

lovely color for her. but unless you're very long or wasp-waisted, this style ends up looking like a sack of flour with a rope cinched around the middle, am I right? or not? I've seen nothing but thin belts applied as such, will thicker belts make the transition to outside the sweater? they might help the slightly less perfect pull this one off. would it work?

 

Blogger Ammie said ... (6:23 PM) : 

The great thing about this look is the versatility. I like the flip flops because of how they "casualize" the outfit. All she has to do is swap those out for metallic flats or dark chocolate wingtip pumps and she's ready to go out. Fantastic look.

 

Blogger Cardigans and Couture said ... (7:11 PM) : 

I agree the flip flps are terrible...but maybe she just had a pedicure?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:13 PM) : 

Give her a break on the flip flops, people! A girl can't wear heels all the time, especially if she's running around the city. As to the weather appropriateness of them, well, this is the in-between time of summer and fall, so who isn't racing around trying to figure out how to hang onto summer with their footwear (some of us REALLY like open toes) and still stay warm? Sheesh!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:26 PM) : 

Call me crazy but it looks like seasons colliding to me with the layering, shorts and sandals. Not feeling this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:40 PM) : 

Flip flops are fine, if it's hot. If it's cold enough in the day to wear double cardigans - or a blazer, or a puffy coat, or a rain jacket, or any of the other cold weather clothes that get worn with flip flops on the we(s)t coast - then it's too cold for the flip flops, aesthetically if not meteorologically.

And it's a small world indeed if our choice in shoes is restricted to heels and flip flops.

 

Blogger positively the same dame said ... (11:10 PM) : 

The unexpected combination of disparate elements and the interesting way she wears them is precisely why the look works, and it couldn't be more perfect for the weather here in the waning days of summer.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:39 PM) : 

At first, I thought dusters were back, and I weren't too fond of them then. I then didn't know what to make of belted cardigans until I saw this photograph. I'm inspired to create the same outfit.

Even the Louis doesn't make my eyes sore..and I don't always say that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:49 PM) : 

I've tried this before (and I frequently wear layered cardigans like this but sans belt) and it always makes me look really huge. I have a short waist, so I appreciate when ladies with a sleeker physique make it work, because it really does look good! I also love the color on her.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:19 PM) : 

down with judgementalism on flip flops! I have to say I never wear them because they hurt my toes, but if you can wear them, why not? And why would wearing them "kill" a great look? Especially with legs like this....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:59 PM) : 

I belt open cardys all the time, I'm addicted!

It instantly adds a little je ne c'est quoi, only je c'est what it is, it's the Open & Belted effect!

And I really love to wear my husband's long, thin white shirts, which won't quite button over my bust, open and belted over a dress or over trousers with a shell or leotard underneath.

Dress not quite business enough for the office? No problem! Just add an open long, white men's shirt and an appropriate belt and you're done.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:00 PM) : 

love love love love love
i love the belted cardigan; i love the layering (cute vest underneath); love the shorts with sweaters

 

Blogger the mauw said ... (1:35 AM) : 

There's nothing wrong with the jandals. I think if the jandals are black or another dark colour and aren't big and chunky, or with heels (aka the "handals") you can wear them with anything. I practically live in them from October to April and wear them to work, play and anywhere in between. Don't dis the jandals.

 

Blogger marie said ... (1:16 PM) : 

This looks good if you are thin. Anyone else and it looks frumpy.

 

Blogger Paige said ... (2:02 AM) : 

this is a look i'll have to try some time in the future. thanks again for the influence!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 PM) : 

Maybe the LV is her regular bag? It really is quite sensible in the rain, and monogram is classic.... tough crowd!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting