This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Pitti Prep - Short Suede Jacket

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Pitti Prep - Short Suede Jacket


I know it is not "fashionable" to look back to last year for ideas but right now I am preparing my wardrobe for Pitti Uomo in January and the first place I go is my archives.

These suede jackets all over Italy. I love the depth of color and lightweight nature.

I bought one in navy at Doriani. The weight is perfect and when you add a knit underneath it works for me even into the 30's.

I just had an idea as I typed that. I am going to try and do a few self-portraits with clothes I have bought and the images that inspired the purchase.

I'm not promising but i will try.


if i am not smiling it is becasue I had just realized what I had gotten myself into - crap! my fingers are typing checks my lens can't cash!

Comments on "Pitti Prep - Short Suede Jacket"

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (8:43 AM) : 

In reference to the top photo, I particularly like the suede jacket and scarf. Beautiful. The clipped haircut and thumb ring are nice touches.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (9:38 AM) : 

I really hope you'll do the self-portraits. I'd like to see your vision of yourself!

Both those guys look great, and I agree with "laguna beach trad" about the hair.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:49 AM) : 

PLEASE DO SOME SELF-PORTRAITS!

I really like your style and it would be great inspiration.

In addition... you're pretty easy on the eyes ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 AM) : 

I like the way you talk about your own wardrobe. It sounds like every purchase is carefully considered. The things you buy are obviously not inexpensive, but you treat them as investments. More people should shop that way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 AM) : 

OMG, if only we'd all submit pics of how your shots have inspired our wardrobe!

mltt

 

Blogger ShugoP said ... (10:58 AM) : 

Short tailored jackets are always a good look. No matter if it's leather, suede, or my favorite; a houndstooth wool... It's important the to wear a funky scarf or other accessories to make the jacket pop...I love this pre-fall combination...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59 AM) : 

you must have pics of yourself. Your fanbase demands it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

Hello Sart, I'm excited to see this more personal side of your blog. I love reading what you write, but I'm sure I'll love seeing what you wear even more!


mltt, I absolutely agree with you--some of Sart's photos have revolutionized my wardrobe. I've been following this blog for exactly a year, and now my clothing is a polar-opposite to what it once was.

Just to comment on the first photo: I'm not sure if the jacket is supposed to fit like it does, but I think it makes the man look a bit chubby around the middle, don't you agree? Maybe that's just because it looks like it's straining to stay closed? I do really like the idea of suede though.



xtina

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 AM) : 

Yes, please.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 AM) : 

I like the top one, except for the purse.

 

Blogger ricpic said ... (11:28 AM) : 

Is that you in the bottom photo, Sart?

If it is, the look of determination fits well with someone who gets the job done, day in day out.

Scarf works very well with jacket.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:29 AM) : 

ricpic
yes that is me

 

Blogger Emily said ... (11:37 AM) : 

I love that you did a self-portrait. I have on of your shots (girl in paris with a fabulous hat, cream dress, and green bag) as my "look this put together" inspiration image. Thank you. :-)

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (11:38 AM) : 

Nice self-portrait! We share a very similar look, even down to the haircut. Creepy. You look very clean-cut and preppy in your photo. Love the scarf, jacket, and haircut.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 AM) : 

Nice! and I love the neckerchief.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

well, it seems that we are all loking forward to see more about your own wardrobe Sart...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:11 PM) : 

Wow Sart! You look fabulously and effortlessly dashing. A very non-contrived look. SG from Canada!

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (12:17 PM) : 

Love your jacket!
And excessive shopping/coveting must be one of the hazards of the job!

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (12:53 PM) : 

i have exactly the same haircut as yours. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:08 PM) : 

what a handsome devil! glad to see you up there. dashing jacket, sart! /JdF

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:12 PM) : 

In your self photo- is that split zipper "done on purpose" or is it a "wardrobe malfunction"?

I do like how your contrasting neck wear compliments your jacket.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 PM) : 

Cashed, darlin! The jacket is nice although a tad short on you, it seems. And a thicker rather than thinner scarf fabric would do wonders.

The colors on the current scarf are great though...you really know how to play up your eyes.

mltt

 

Blogger Roxana Farahmand said ... (1:38 PM) : 

Sart you look great! More, please! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

Dear Sart,
Your hair has grown out! You look really good. I like the color of your jacket, though I think the beautiful scarf is really key in not making you look like yet another of those super-bourgeois Milanesi!
And the top jacket in green also gets a lot from the scarf.

 

Blogger Carl XVI Gustaf said ... (2:05 PM) : 

The scarf and the "pulled over" fit of the short jacket gives an aviator look to it all. Very nice!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:07 PM) : 

I really enjoy the two zippers, each slightly unzipped. Casual, calculated, and comfortable. I have a hard time finding jackets that I like with a double zipper like that - I think they're rarer for women - but it's one of my favorite looks.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:10 PM) : 

Aw, you should post pictures of yourself more often. We're always hearing about your personal style, it's so nice to see it in action!

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (2:28 PM) : 

I love the scarf you paired with the navy suede jacket. Also it's the perfect length and fit for you -- very smart looking, dude.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:34 PM) : 

The tone of your writing is so observant, yet so self-effacing. It's just charming. Now that you have time to write a bit more, you have really reinvigorated my love of your blog.

(also, once you explained that it is terribly difficult to smile in self portraits, so I promise not to give you crap for loooking so grim)

About your jacket: the color is lovely, but your jacket seems to nip-in at the bottom much more than those that inspired you. I assume that was a deliberate choice. What attracted you to that detail? What do you think it does for your shape? (this is not a criticism, I really am curious)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:40 PM) : 

I like the look of the jacket in all three photos.

I love the scarf in the first picture and the color combination with the jacket.

I like the combination in the second picture as well. The messenger bag slung across the body adds a nice colour contrast as well as the gloves in the back pocket.

Your combination in the third photo is nice and one sees the obvious inspiration from the previous photos.

The only pause I have is the "man-purse" in the first picture. But hey, more power to this guy for having the confidence to rock that man-purse.

A question

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:43 PM) : 

Hey, Sart,

Has anyone ever told you that you have a resemblance to Lance Armstrong?

 

Blogger starbahks said ... (3:06 PM) : 

haha im excited! :)

what a great idea... considering how all your readers have been so inspired by your shots all this time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:08 PM) : 

Looking good and surly, Sart. Thank you for the beautiful photos!

I have a professional question. A well known designer has asked me for my photos. What is the best way to send the photos? Do I send them on CD's. They have to be high resolution.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Felicia
felicia369ny@yahoo.com

 

Blogger Rob Moore said ... (3:13 PM) : 

I had a great suede jacket similar to the one in the top photo but in a tobacco brown color. It was a thrift store find and I literally wore it until it fell apart. I've been on the lookout for a similar one for a few years now. It's quite a versatile piece.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 PM) : 

Sart, you don't look at all comfortable in that jacket/scarf combo. Just because it looks good on someone else, doesn't necessarily mean it will look good on you. I think you'd look better with a v neck knit and an open collar, or crew neck tee peaking out from under and perhaps a casually draped, woollen scarf.

 

Blogger Angie said ... (3:24 PM) : 

yes, a scarf how-to would be very appreciated!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (3:26 PM) : 

the jacket is a double-zip model
I would only buy thast jacket if it had a double zip
it is a much more flattering fit

 

Blogger pearlaceous said ... (4:41 PM) : 

I like the combination of the printed scarf with your striped blouse, and how your blouse peeks from your sleeves.. Are you also wearing a beige sweater underneath? Love the put together look!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:45 PM) : 

It is such a wonderful idea this self-portraits! So, we can see how you are inspired from your own work.

I think your scarf is very beautiful, but I'm not sure about the jacket. May be it would be better open, worn in a more 'decontracté' way. I should also see what kind of shoes you are wearing.

Cheers!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:50 PM) : 

To Felicia,

Hey! It depens of how many photos you have to send. If it's less than, lets say, 4, you can send them by email. If it's a large amount of photos the best thing would be to put them in a nice CD, put the CD in a nice envelope and send it by ordinary mail (urgent and certified if possible). That is how I'd do it...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:59 PM) : 

About man purses,

I really like the way the man in the first photo wears his. I'm a girl, but I'm always wondering about how can a man carry his wallet, cell phone, keys, glasses, cigarettes, tooth brush, note book, etc, etc. in a stylish way.

There must be other ideas than suitcases and backpacks... Any more pictures with examples of this kind Sart?

Gabriela

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 PM) : 

Sorry, nothing to do with this subject. But, the man in Laguna beach trad's picture looks so stylish and interesting. Who is he?

 

Blogger Susan W. said ... (5:14 PM) : 

Scott, whenever you post an image of yourself, I get such an Arrow-shirt-man-as-drawn-by-J.C. Leyendecker vibe from it, regardless of what you're actually wearing. Like here, with the tiny riff of an ascot. It's just great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:20 PM) : 

Ciao bello see you in Milan...by the way nice Jacket the Doriani one.Fosco

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:37 PM) : 

Self portraits are tricky, but well worth the effort! I hope you will post more in the future.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:43 PM) : 

I like your nose ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:46 PM) : 

Sart!

You look terrific! I think you made a great choice with navy.

I don't know what I'd do without this blog. Not only do I get inspiration but I often dress with the thought of what you, or the others that comment, would think. It has also helped me clean out my closet and dump all those iffy items!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:58 PM) : 

I love your little scarf! the zipper on the jacket is great too. I'm kind of shy about suede normally, since I'm pretty hard on clothes--nothing too delicate for me. but this post might make me reconsider...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:18 PM) : 

Hey Sart, Long time no see (self portrait). You look great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:24 PM) : 

I was scrolling down your site and came across this pic of an unsmiling man...my first thought: "Gawd, He's gorgeous!" And guess what? It was YOU, Scott!

You could be a Marlboro man!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:26 PM) : 

I am in shock! I saw your photo in the biography page of your blog and you look so different. To begin with I saw you older and heavier, do-not get me wrong that photo is impressive, I loved you in that suit, it just looks like someone else. The guy in the suede jacket is hot in a different way... that portrait ads another dimension to your being in my mind. Bottom line is that it is important to show us your portraits because it seems you are a master in the art of transformation, which is so difficult to master and ultimately is one of the fundamental element of clothes period. The power to completely change oneself including the illusion of our gender.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:42 PM) : 

I adore suede, is so sexy... something about suede is elegant all the way. Men in those jackets are a fetish to me, I faint... the three photos are cute and stylish at the same time. Gentlemen of the world that jacket is an eye catcher!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:45 PM) : 

what do u use in your hair?

 

Blogger V said ... (6:50 PM) : 

What I really love about your look, Scott, are the tiny bits of striped shirt peeking out at the neck and cuff. The color/pattern combo is great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:50 PM) : 

The sleeve pick... sexy. Sart DEFINITELY MORE SELF-PORTRAITS.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:54 PM) : 

Nice to see you once in awhile.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:35 PM) : 

You look nice, the only thing is that the jacket looks a bit small on you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:16 PM) : 

Beautiful scarf Sart, it looks great with your suede jacket. Can't wait to see more!

 

Blogger ev said said ... (9:38 PM) : 

I am looking forward to your outfits and their inspiration!


ev said

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 PM) : 

i LOVE the colour combination in the first pic.

the thing i love the most about the jacket you're wearing, sart, is the double-zipper! it's little details like that that take articles of clothing from merely good to great, for me. i had a jacket with a double zipper that was my favorite for years, until it literally began to fall apart.

and, love the sleeve and collar details peaking out. i think the slightly fitted look is perfect. i have a (current) favorite jacket that is just like this. (and i'm a chick - i think this style looks hot on both girls and guys.)

 

Blogger Françoise said ... (11:12 PM) : 

i love scarves. it dresses up the entire outfit. thank you for the reminder. i like the picture of you too. great post. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 PM) : 

haha love the kennedy-esque hair

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:23 AM) : 

Hmm, I don't know so much about this self-portrait idea. I think one of the things I respect about your blog is your ability to put things out there and let people speak. When you post yourself, it forces people to be posititve, in a way. I mean it'd be pretty damn rude to say "Sart, you're dog ugly, and your scarf looks ridiculous", wouldn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I love your work and your blog, have been on it for longer than I care to remember, but I think it is necessary to maintain some form of impersonality. Oh and the dude on the top photo looks great, great jacket; don't know much about the purse though.

Energie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:36 AM) : 

i think your blog is funny and your picture are perfect for this porpouse, but why don't you just youse a wooden mannequen instead of you?
I think for an objective look,knowing that is you cgets distracting!!
Cheers

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 AM) : 

You look determined!
I really like the fact that you´re not smiling.
More often than not smiling people
look a little bit stupid.
A recruiting manager at Thai Airways once said: We don´t employ intelligent women because they don´t smile !!!!
But short and tight jackets are tricky.
The trousers have to be extremely well fitted otherwise the whole look is ruined and the jackets just look too small !
Proportions, proportions !!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:50 AM) : 

keep posting your pics scott! you can take the positive and the negative.

look at it this way... how many people have thousands of wardrobe consultants/stylists?!

i love your hair a bit longer. and i LOVE how really masculine it looks when it's shorter... maybe that can be your spring/summer look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 AM) : 

suede jackets are a great choice

nice idea with this post, hope to see more... with you smiling the next time :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:18 AM) : 

The angle of the shot makes me wonder whether your young daughter didn't take your photo.

Nice work!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 AM) : 

now we all know who the people were looking at!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 AM) : 

Smile!!! You're a hottie!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:13 AM) : 

Great idea, Rudolph! Er, I mean, Sart (it looks as if it's in the 30s for sure). I'm looking forward to more examples of what you do with your inspirations.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 AM) : 

Sorry, but you're trying way, way too hard to project an image. Stop the affected poses, please.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 PM) : 

That jacket, doesn't work for you on that picture.

 

Blogger imperialmeasure said ... (12:42 PM) : 

Love the bizarre anonymous comment that says "Sorry, but you're trying way, way too hard to project an image. Stop the affected poses, please."

Would love to know exactly how a scarf and jacket combination can be trying "way, way too hard?" Your pose too, standing with hand in pockets, well, just how "affected" can that be?

There is no pleasing some people and it's sad to see how bitter they can be once one achieves a little success. Ignore them.

Enjoy your posts about the clothes you wear, particularly as it has taught me that there is a middle way between bespoke and 'off the peg' (sad to admit that I'd never considered having alterations made at the shop until you suggested it)!

 

Blogger O!Lightning said ... (6:10 PM) : 

good going Sart, You look wonderful, you are brave!

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (7:23 PM) : 

You look great. Come on, loosen up!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 PM) : 

but i wish your jacket was open, sart. i see just a tiny peek of a camel sweater and striped shirt underneath that gorgeous navy suede of yours. what a tease!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 AM) : 

I really like this inspirations/purchase post, maybe because I would have chosen the same style with a front yoke. Love the colors in all three jackets; that would have been a hard decision to make.

 

Blogger a visualizing lurker said ... (1:24 AM) : 

you remind me of that villian from T2

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

Oh, well I shouldn't be anon here, but I'm on work pc. But yeah as someone has commented, you should perhaps refrain from posting self portraits just because its difficult fro us to write honest posts about them. Love your bravery though, and your blog!
Mm

 

Blogger Cristina said ... (10:59 AM) : 

Agreed- I would love to see more self-portraits. A smiling one next time!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:12 PM) : 

Check cashed. Sufficient funds.

 

Blogger Disneyrollergirl.net said ... (9:00 AM) : 

Great idea - your hair looks fantastic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 PM) : 

Why is no one making a fuss over that GREEN suede jacket??

It's awesome!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:27 AM) : 

You have awesome eyes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:43 AM) : 

I really like your hair style!!
look great with nice scarf!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:14 PM) : 

Top Gun reference? anyone comment on that yet??

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting