This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Sartorialist Jr.

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, December 06, 2007

The Sartorialist Jr.







One of the few projects I wish I had done better was Sartorialist Jr. for Cookie magazine.

It is very difficult to regularly find enough kids to shoot for an almost monthly magazine.

I love Cookie, they do a great job, but I just couldn't keep up.

Anyway, here are a few images that probably would have gone into a Fall/Winter issue.

Comments on "The Sartorialist Jr."

 

Blogger stacy said ... (8:42 AM) : 

Great shots!

You really captured their inner beauty and innocence...the clothes aren't bad either.

 

Blogger MamaBirdEmma said ... (8:42 AM) : 

I was wondering what happened to your section in Cookie! I loved it! As a mom, I'd love to see more kid and kid/parent shots on your blog...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:10 AM) : 

Dude up top already has his pose down pat.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:15 AM) : 

The top shot - this young man already has great style or at least the attitude to pull it off (if someone else chose the ensemble). The scarf makes it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM) : 

I love the little girl in the second picture!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (9:21 AM) : 

So cute!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:08 AM) : 

Did you dress these kiddos or did they dress themselves?

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (10:10 AM) : 

I didn't dress them

I guess their parents did or if it is like my house it was after a series of give & take pleading

 

Blogger Casey said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Pleading? I often had to resort to threatening and bribing with my children. Every one of these shots is absolutely adorable; I hope you'll do more in the future.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 AM) : 

this disturbs me. i think the last thing we need to be showing is childrens fashion. should you really be concerned about what you are wearing at such a young age. i don't remember that phase beginning util the 6th grade. let the kid be a kid----

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

They all look really great. The boy in the first pic really makes me smile. My 3 year old son usually picks out his own clothes and poses just like that for everyone in the house so that they can tell him how cool he looks!

 

Blogger we could grow up 2gether said ... (10:36 AM) : 

our future is hopeful

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 AM) : 

Man alive, things have changed.

When i was a kid, we wore TuffSkins from Sears or JC Penney's.... The 'losers' wore Garanimals.... In elementary school, there was NO fashion to speak of.

I'm always envious of children who can start with such great personal style.

 

Blogger Olle said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Was the photo at the top taken in Stockholm?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

Uauuuu!
So cute kids.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:23 AM) : 

Love the kid shots! The child in the top shot has great attitude and presence.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:41 AM) : 

holy wow! how darling is the girl in the middle!

 

Blogger amy said ... (12:27 PM) : 

Is that first girl wearing an army jacket?? Amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:05 PM) : 

OH PLEASE do more!!! these kids are freaking amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 PM) : 

They are too cute.

 

Blogger shabnom said ... (1:37 PM) : 

I love your photos of kids! Because it's is just very rare to see kids dressed up really well... but when they do, they have just the best attitudes. I love the quirky clothes on all three. :)

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (1:40 PM) : 

The first kid has it down...he's the real thing!...I guess real style is innate!

Cheers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 PM) : 

Love the clothes, they'd all be good "grownup outfits" as well! Doesn't hurt that the children are all gorgeous, too. Great eye, Mr. Sartorialist.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:30 PM) : 

"It's very difficult to regularly find enough kids to shoot for an almost monthly magazine."

REALLY? One would think that parents are falling all over themselves to get their kids seen in such a cute way...Err, or is it just me?

We only have one long ago photo shoot under our belt (for my daughter).

(Thinks of harassing, ehm, calling Cookie...)

mltt

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:12 PM) : 

So adorable! These shots remind me of growing up in NY and stomping down 72nd street toward Central Park in my snow boots. I had a light blue suede coat with a big (fake) fur-lined hood that made me feel tres chic!

 

Blogger rebeccacalvetti said ... (3:59 PM) : 

Yes, they are originally, and well, dressed.

But I tend to think that children shouldn't count. Wait, that came out wrong! :)

I remember back to when I was a little girl, and my mother and grandmother used to sew me exquisite frocks with smocked bodices and such. I was an exceptionally well-dressed child....but I cannot claim any responsibility for it. In fact, I don't remember caring about image until I was at least 12 years old. I know there are some exceptions to this rule, but for the most part, kids are dressed by their parents, and really couldn't give a damn about what they are wearing (unless they are already feeling peer pressure to dress a certain way, and that is truly a shame).

My view on the subject? Let kids be kids----- they shouldn't be judged superficially by adult standards.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:05 PM) : 

i am totally crushing on that first kid...probably shouldnt be saying that as a 26 year old, but he dresses better than most men i hang out with! must move to stockholm now...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:20 PM) : 

so sad your bit in cookie didn't work out. these kids are just perfect! i wish we had seasons to dress for in los angeles!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 PM) : 

These kids obviously have someone in their lives who gives a crap about how they see themselves and the world. They are being raised with a point of view that is fresh and fun. I love it.

As for the comment that kids should not be judged by adult standards-it does not seem that these images would suggest that at all. It simply offers that kids can enjoy a personal aesthetic as much as an adult can, even if is not appreciated until reflected upon from a more "mature" position...(After all, you might not have cared then,rebecca calvetti, but you are still identifying with and talking about those smocked dresses, no?)

 

Blogger yen ly said ... (7:27 PM) : 

I love the sea/mint green gloves with the creams. I love anything sea green really. They are so cute!

 

Blogger Blaise said ... (8:25 PM) : 

This is very refreshing to see.. very stylish kids.. That young Swede looks so cool.. :P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 PM) : 

The only word I can come up with is CUTE!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:43 PM) : 

Geez I wish I had half the coolness that first kid exudes. I was a trendy little kid but they were pop fashions and many were hardly considered fashionable (lazer yellow turtle neck with black military pants, black british knights tennis shoes, black suspenders, knock off ray bans and a flat top) ugh I can only hope my future son takes up dressing well early because a well dressed boy hopefully turns into a well dressed man

 

Blogger Tom said ... (10:17 PM) : 

And somehow they all have scarves on...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 PM) : 

Would love to see more Sartorialist Juniors :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 PM) : 

Luv them all, they are so cute! more picks of parents and children they give movement to the blog.

 

Blogger mimi said ... (5:15 AM) : 

I love the first kid. So cool!
I think it's amazing that kids these days have so much more freedom to experiment with what they want to wear, and to some extent (with some discreet cajoling from parents) wear what they want. I remember the days when my mum would pick out my wardrobe - consisted mostly of bizarre, ultra girly 80's frocks and chunky tights.
I don't think it's disturbing at all that you've got them on your site, Sart, they're not being 'judged' in any way by adult standards, nor are they under pressure to present a certain look. We're just loving their cute and fresh styles, besides, inspiration comes from all avenues!

 

Blogger tamlee said ... (11:49 AM) : 

i love how children naturally muss up their jeans. my seven year-old son's jeans get that great faded look at the knees after a few washes and wears. almost ALL of his well worn jeans have a small tear on the right knee!

this weekend i am buying him a new scarf. thanks for the inspiration!

 

Blogger rebeccacalvetti said ... (12:35 PM) : 

Good point, anon 5:21.... I can't argue with that.

But in response to

"I think it's amazing that kids these days have so much more freedom to experiment with what they want to wear, and to some extent (with some discreet cajoling from parents) wear what they want."

I just don't think that's true. Not only do most kids have little to no use for sartorial "freedom", things haven't changed so that they have more of it. If anything, the children's clothing market is awash with super adult fare....low rise jeans and belly shirts on 7 year old girls, etc. It's more of a conformist trend, and a disturbing one at that.

Obviously these children are not dressed in such a fashion, and that's a good thing. I really have no problem with this posting, as a matter of fact. I just think that it's a little strange. We are judging them using adult standards, because we posters are adults, and they have been dressed by adults, with a nuanced attention to detail. With most of the content of this site, intent plays a big role: we are aware of image, of the physical impressions we make. Children cease being children once they get caught up in worrying about their image.

Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to clarify.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:36 PM) : 

Not to knock the kids because they're adorable and this is not their fault, but there's something annoying and even a bit disturbing about parents who dress their kids up in posh designer clothes from head to toe.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:38 PM) : 

Aw, sart, I'm sorry. I thought it might be hard to find enough kids 'on the street' who also happened to have immediately willing and non-rushed parents.

I sitll love your photos of kids, though. You just love clothes on everyone, doncha?

And that girl in the second photo, she looks just like she's thinking, "I am awesome! These clothes are awesome! I'm gonna go stomp on things! Or fly!" It's just the best.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:45 PM) : 

Love the first one. As a female college student surrounded by young men who could care less about how they look, seeing boys with style-especially so young-really makes me happy.

 

Blogger Megan Whittaker said ... (6:29 PM) : 

they're just beautiful

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:11 PM) : 

awwwwwwww! =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:45 PM) : 

such cuties!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:14 AM) : 

these kids are so adorable i could eat em up! if you need to find well dressed runts with that sartorialist edge, you should definitely come out to LA!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

I think kids have naturally great and inventive style, and documenting it as "fashion" almost takes it away. It is that unconsciousness that makes them so beautiful and open. That said, I think you are brilliant so this is no statement against the great work you do, remind us adults that clothes are a conscious decision.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting