This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...... Saint-Roch, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, January 20, 2008

On the Street...... Saint-Roch, Paris

Comments on "On the Street...... Saint-Roch, Paris"

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (6:27 AM) : 

I love the end of the sleeves of her blouse!
Wow!

 

Blogger Patri said ... (6:58 AM) : 

Black will allways be my favourite dressing colour, she looks amazing. I just hope that's not real fur.
Great photo, too (those stairs!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:26 AM) : 

Ladies, please, would you stop dying your hair way darker (or lighter) than it actually is? It looks shite, I'm sorry. As for the photo: never has a neglected building looked so fresh, eh? or at least parts of it.

 

Blogger Jennifer Anyan said ... (8:38 AM) : 

The cuffs are great, and the mirroring of shapes in the cuffs, cape and width of the trouser leg works but the trousers look too big around the waist - maybe it's the way she's holding them, which looks slightly awkward.

 

Blogger Mother Gin Sling said ... (8:39 AM) : 

As the French say: 'bien de loin, mais loin d'être bien' (good from far, far from good).
The shot itself is great, with its contrast of colors between marble, green and black. Nice slender silhouette, but it would have been more balanced with a less bumpy bag. And the upper part would have been fine if there wasn't that narrow, almost buttoned-up collar; interesting sleeves, but buttons are plain horrid; and she should take more care of her hair, and hairdye as well, this really looks neglected; also, she could at least have ironed the hemline of her trousers... and, and... well, I guess that's enough.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 AM) : 

The green in the photo is so beautiful. Love the contrast between the natural elements and the manmade geometric pattern of the stone.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Oh, so me.... So nice.

 

Blogger Susan B said ... (10:26 AM) : 

Loving everything except the too-long trousers.

 

Blogger Jennifer said ... (10:47 AM) : 

the green stairs just steal the scene. but hooray for the neck scarf, i did like that - sweet to add a light touch of blush amid the black. lots of fun with texture here and the proportions too.
the large bag, so awkward. not the size, but she's holding it like it's a bag, rather than luggage, which is what it is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 AM) : 

Love everything here, especially love the photo background and colours. I bet there will be a lot of comments about the tint of green in her hair, It is fairly common on the continent for a lady to add this touch, I see it a lot in Italy, Spain, Germany and France. Debateable whether its worth it or not, I don't think it adds all that much for the trouble...

 

Blogger trinity said ... (11:17 AM) : 

I love the textures in this picture. The green moss on the stairs. The soft fur of her coat, the silk about her neck and the brass I believe of the buttons. Then there is the crispness of her shirt and the harshness of the bottom steps. I like it. I also enjoy the soft shape of her against the harsh geometry of her surroundings.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 PM) : 

Are there no tailors in Paris?
Not even a dry cleaner to quickly hem all of these exceedingly long pants - and the ones from other posts.

I'm not particularly wowed by anything here.
The fur and shirt are tired.
The bag is, well just a bag.
And the scarf is a nice try but it's not done in a very exciting way.

Non mi piace.

 

Blogger AdamfromVA said ... (12:10 PM) : 

not feeling it, hot bag though

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:10 PM) : 

This is one of my favorite new posts! The background of layered horizontal greens nicely contrasts with the inspirational tailored fashion of your model. She makes me want to dress better!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (12:22 PM) : 

Wide-legged trousers, so beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 PM) : 

I really hate too long trousers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:40 PM) : 

So pretty and mysterious. I love the way she grabs her pants and makes me wonder what she is thinking. i love the moss on the steps too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:42 PM) : 

Ageless style, good materials, self assurance and the most beatiful staircase. The length of her trousers is so stylish here. I wonder what kind of heels she is hiding there.

 

Blogger stephen said ... (2:18 PM) : 

Love the green bouncing off those steps, too.

 

Blogger benson said ... (3:00 PM) : 

wow...amazing! I'm loving the black against the moss. In America this probably would be considered a biohazard and some chemical called out to clean it up. Great shot!

 

Blogger Daniel said ... (3:25 PM) : 

Well, someone obviously knows what she's doing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:33 PM) : 

Wonderful textures. Especially love the cuffs, then echoing that pleating in the scarf.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:59 PM) : 

perfect pants and gorgeous shirt (especially cuffs)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:14 PM) : 

these paris photos are incredible!
i absolutely love her blouse, that texture

 

Blogger AB Complementos said ... (4:19 PM) : 

Your blog and all the outfits are really wonderful! Congratulations! I'll continue reading you!

 

Blogger tintin said ... (5:01 PM) : 

A beautiful woman with an elegance that will follow her for a looong time. She is gonna be something else at 40. When I think of women in the US with their boob jobs, nose jobs, French Manicure Extensions and Botox injections...It makes me... WANNA MOVE TO PARIS!

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (5:44 PM) : 

It is a very interesting shot, I love the details in the outfit, but the whole thing doesn’t quite fit, it is too much for my taste: the pants are too long, too wide, the bag too big, the jacket too oversized... It is like she put together all the special pieces in her armoire. It doesn’t really work; this needs some more basic pieces or some more balance between wide and narrow, big and small shapes for not being so overwhelming.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:02 PM) : 

I love the juxtaposition of the moss covered steps to the green/black hues in her outfit and her hair-BRILLIANT! As always...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:18 PM) : 

I've noticed in the last few pictures people keep commenting that pant hems are too long like these people are doing it on accident!

It surprises me that subscribers to this blog would be so close-minded to a new or different way of wearing things. You were all loving the diaper shorts this past summer, for heaven's sake!

I think the picture and everything in it is marvelous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:04 PM) : 

I know I'm in the minority, but I like too long trousers on some people. I don't know, it just works for them somehow. I think she looks chic with the pants dragging on the ground. I also think that if you're really cute and thin, like this young lady, you can break a lot of rules like having too dark hair, long pants and what not. Isn't it annoying??

 

Blogger M said ... (7:10 PM) : 

i am not someone that can pull off wideleg pants
it looks amazing on her
my body is too weird and disproportional and skinny to wear really wide pants

and it's always raining in vancouver so it's impractical as well haha

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:22 PM) : 

The contrast of the green steps and the black is perfect Sart. The woman is a contemporary version of Edith Piaff so it kind of suits her to look unkept and fatal and even when I am not seduce by her outfit, I like the photograph and the choice of subject.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:35 PM) : 

the wispy hair and the green on the stairs make me feel like she is off to some very high powered yet dark and mysterious business meeting. oooh business goth!
not sure about the pieces but altogether (with some major amping up with background and composition) its a very evocative image.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 PM) : 

I love the green from the moss and the green of her outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 PM) : 

Dark and chic, my kind of style. Divine photo Sart, one of my favourites. I love very long pants, they are only too long if they are dragging on the ground and ruining the fabric. Although it is a shame to hide beautiful shoes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:13 PM) : 

Edith Piaf eyebrows. The girl has balls!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 PM) : 

new to this beautiful place but not so amused but the supposed critics. why focus on what you hate when there's so much to love. my favorites are the "bumpy" bag and the frivolous trouser (I think she knows). she's got it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 AM) : 

I liked that the background had this punch of color on it - It made the outfit really pop. Therefore, we were able to see the details of clothing. Although, i find her a little too black, there was no other to pull off something so urban and chic. I liked her pants and bag a lot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:20 AM) : 

WOW!
The French girls really have it going on!
They're so stylish and beautiful.
But please stop plucking the eyebrows so much; I like natural eyebrows.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:51 AM) : 

love the bag

 

Blogger ellastica said ... (3:07 AM) : 

her clothes are plain but fit well.
i like the layering of different silhouettes and textures.

but her make-up look is what caught my eye. her softly matte make-up and penciled brows lends her face a doll-like quality.

the skin-tone scarf was a nice touch.

beautiful subject/setting as usual!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:29 AM) : 

i'm delurking because the issue of how long one's pants should be has been gnawing at me for the past few weeks (i've been wondering how much of my pants to lop off to get them *just right*) and i too have been rather taken aback by all these extra-long pants that have been popping up on this site. are these extra-long pants just a passing parisienne fad? please sart, shine the light and put us out of our misery. please.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:02 AM) : 

I like her style, I like the intent look on her face. It makes her clothes make sense when you then look at them. Love the bag.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:09 AM) : 

The blouse is beautiful. I wonder if I can find something like this in Israel.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:58 AM) : 

Je découvre ton blog. J'adore. Ce qui m'intéresse, ce sont les gens, les visages...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:08 AM) : 

The entire look is beautiful, unique. Each piece separately may be nothing special, but together, it's all harmonious, "très Français", right down to her hair, which suits the look. Pants should be tailored though, but a minor detail. Who knew she'd be photographed for the world to see on this day ^.^ C.

 

Blogger LIBERTY POST EDITOR said ... (8:37 AM) : 

How about a book with your photographs that ties into the environment? Many of your subjects walk instead of take a car - many use bicycles. Could be a big seller. Fashion meets Earth-Friendly with Style.

 

Blogger Tereneh Idia said ... (9:21 AM) : 

Lovely. As other said the photo is as wonderful as the lady. I also love her pose. It reminds me of Oscar Wilde for some reason. I love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 AM) : 

She's beautiful and so are her clothes! Lovely:)

 

Blogger Emma said ... (11:06 AM) : 

her hair and clothing make her seem a lot older than she actually appears to be.

 

Blogger Anne Corrons said ... (11:22 AM) : 

I do love this huge bag. It looks great!

 

Blogger Nora said ... (1:04 PM) : 

I love the wide-legged trousers, but she's so fine-boned she seems overwhelmed by the proportions of her clothes and bag (when, o when will the Big Bag die?)...I just wish ONE thing she were wearing (or carrying, ahem!) were smaller. Except her eyebrows, which are IMO a little overgroomed. She's gorgeous, though, and the colors are wonderful, the black and moss and dark teal. Great photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:10 PM) : 

fashion, photo, fashion photo blog. Such a simple idea and already so much to look at to see, to share, to say !

I'm going to suscribe to your feed, the feeling is too good when we look at those people.

Thanks for sharing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:11 PM) : 

I love her attitude, stance and expression.
Also, the greens and blacks look great together.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 PM) : 

She's got no feet! scary!

 

Blogger pearlaceous said ... (7:16 PM) : 

Wow! Love the black against the grass green background! Anon 10:48 thanx for pointing out the green tint in her hair, great detail! Although I think it's just the reflection of the steps it's a great effect..

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (7:19 PM) : 

I like the trousers and shirt, what we can see of it, not so much the outer garment.

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (8:11 PM) : 

I love the colors in the background. It contrasts very nicely with her dark outfit. Fabulously done.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 PM) : 

Love the colours, but she looks a little uncomfortable in those trousers. Maybe it's the way she's gripping the waistband. Maybe it's the fact that I can't see her toes through her extra-long pant legs.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:37 PM) : 

Am I the only one who sees her clothes as forest green not black? In fact, I see no black in this pic at all except her hair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59 PM) : 

The background is great, but....
Her hair is way to dark, it looks unnatural, her bag looks like it should fit and yet it doesn't, her pants are too long, and that shirt looks like it's strangling her (yet I love the cuffs)

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (12:26 AM) : 

This looks shows a lot of thought and effort.

Overall, I think it's entirely too much green. Which, given that she's dyed her hair green as well, is the point. "Matchy, Matchy" as Michael Kors would say.

I like the individual pieces --the blouse, especially. And what moves me is the care she's put into getting this all together. By the way --marvelous skin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:17 AM) : 

Widelegged trousers that are "too long" - what a refreshing look .
Skinny has passed it´s sell by date. It is time for a new silhouette.
Most women /girls in skinny have not had a proper look at themselves in a rearview mirror- that´s for sure.
Which I have - I´m a flight attendant and see women/girls/men. from behind when they disembark !
In addition to that I have yet to see a woman who can walk in high heeled boots without looking like she has wet her pants !

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:36 AM) : 

the only things awe striking here are the mossy steps.

 

Blogger Bel said ... (2:49 AM) : 

I'm not in New York, but just want to wish you all the very best for the opening of your first solo exhibit - am very excited for you and know it will be a huge success! :o)

 

Blogger Gratistotal said ... (4:00 AM) : 

Black is back!!
I love Paris!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:09 AM) : 

gin sling and others...

i'll never understand why you feel moved to dissect someone if you're not feeling the photo. these are just people walking the street, going about their lives. Most people are dressed as a result of the time they have to get ready, the number of different things they have to do in a day, what's clean, and yes, maybe what's not ironed, but you can get away with...

Obviously the sartorialist has seen something in each person he wants to capture - sometimes i wonder why people agree to be photographed for the site, knowing how harsh the comments here can be.

can't you just zip it?

 

Blogger Vistiendo a Candela said ... (5:33 AM) : 

I really love this outfit

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 AM) : 

Wow, isn't she so beautiful and tough, and intense? I like her somewhat masculine energy. Totally kick-ass. And hot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:07 PM) : 

I don't mean to defend anyone in particular, but I think that just as readers are allowed to praise the beauty of a photo or the stylishness of the subject, we're entitled to leave criticism as well. Since so much of this is subjective, it would be rather lacking if everyone only left glowing remarks about the perfection of everything. Sart has a keen eye, and he doesn't have to take what other people say to heart - he doesn't even have to approve the comments if he doesn't want to - but as long as we keep personal attacks and offensive remarks out, I don't see what's wrong with expressing your opinion on an entry.

The photos generally focus on style and fashion, no? I think it’s safe to say that most of the people being photographed here don’t throw on a tank top and sweatpants in the morning because the rest of their wardrobe is at the cleaner’s. If Sart thinks a particular photo works (and they're pretty much always stunning, in my opinion), he can share it with us, and if not everyone shares his viewpoint, I think they're allowed to say so.

If people were attacking this lady simply for being French or having brown eyes, I would be pretty appalled. But if someone is going to have a strop over some Internet users nitpicking their outfit, then maybe they should work on their own self-esteem a little bit. Also, I reckon if Sart really thought someone should shut up, I doubt he would have allowed his or her comment to appear in the first place.

Meanwhile, I’m just happy that this hasn’t turned into an OhNoTheyDidn’t for nonpublic figures (I love ONTD, but there's a time and a place).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 PM) : 

I have to say I agree with Violet. It is all about the moment and the mood. I am eternally grateful to Scott for bringing it all home to me from wherever he may be.
A propos of the long pants: we should all thank Scott for letting those of us who are not French chicks see what the cool French chicks are wearing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 PM) : 

Hem those bad boys! As well, take in that waist. I don't like how she is holding the pants up.

Love the fur, and the little scarf around her neck. She has such a sweet face, but she's gotta grow the brows back.

Great photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 PM) : 

Well said Violet. Maybe the critics here could allow Sart to take a snap of them, without warning, and subject themselves to the public's gaze!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:31 AM) : 

she could use a touch of colour. maybe a colourful bag or shoes.
the green of the steps totally saves the pic.
otherwise, i love her outfit.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (2:47 PM) : 

I love all the different textures of black in her mix (with the exception of the hair, which I think would be far prettier in a softer shade) She's beautiful though, regardless!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:37 AM) : 

does anyone know where the bag is from?
last year i bought one at h&m which is surprisingly very similar.
i hadn't seen this one before!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:27 PM) : 

This looks is basically a solid brick of gold.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 AM) : 

I am awed by the defiance of her outfit...and what a fantasic color combination. Perhaps natural tresses would make her more approachable and not overly intentional, but her efforts to get dressed while paying attention are sincere and I appreciate them.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting