This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Kindness Of Strangers & The Agnelli Tie

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Kindness Of Strangers & The Agnelli Tie


I have always heard that Gianni Agnelli had a quirk for wearing his tie outside of his sweater.

The other day ,while I was walking on the Hyeres boardwalk, I found a gentleman that not only shared this little style quirk but wore it with the same level of sprezzatura as l'Avvocato.

When I asked to him to take his photo he politely declined (i think it was polite but i don't speak French).

Anyway, as I was trying to explain why i wanted to take his photo a young man that knew my blog saw i was having a tricky time so he stepped in and explained (in French) who I was and what I wanted to do.

This apparently did the trick because as you see I ended up getting the shot - thanks to the kindness of strangers or the kindness of my audience!!)

Comments on "The Kindness Of Strangers & The Agnelli Tie"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:08 AM) : 

This wonderful couple is so cool!

They are both holding onto their bags(she ofcourse has her prized Chanel bag)and he holding his walking cane and she to her umbrella.Love her total coverd sunglasses!You see,these are smart people protecting thier eyes from the harsh sun's rays!

Well done Sart!

Some of the looks you have been posting from Hyeres 2008 seem so posed and put together by a stylist,or do these nice sujects get it all right by themselves?Do you sometimes add or subtract something to get the look you want?Just wondering!

 

Blogger pintón said ... (4:30 AM) : 

They are so cute and tender!!!

 

Blogger Lady Lala said ... (5:01 AM) : 

They are charming!!I love the sunglasses of Mrs.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:10 AM) : 

Nice couple!!
Languages open many doors maybe is time to learn one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:21 AM) : 

Loving every bit of the pic! I wanna dress just as cool as her when am old!

 

Blogger JJ said ... (6:54 AM) : 

they are so adorable and stylish...and I dare say that the lady has on a pair of Margiela's Incognito sunnies...! :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:01 AM) : 

style its all about these little details..

 

Blogger marchingbandemporium said ... (7:17 AM) : 

Lovely picture, great story.

Where I live in London, the most stylish and smartest men around are often older, usually retired, and always wearing a tie. I am not sure they would see themselves as doing anything other than simply maintaining standards, but they always lift my day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:15 AM) : 

I actually like his frames LOL. This is a great picture where your subjects are not necessarily wearing custom-made or expensive clothes. It reminds me of the elderly couples that used to live in South Beach before it "came back". Jorge from West Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:21 AM) : 

Geriatric cool

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:22 AM) : 

Agnelli used to wear his watch over the sleeve of his shirt too...

 

Blogger Galen said ... (9:03 AM) : 

Love the look--I'll give a try sometime.

 

Blogger momo said ... (9:33 AM) : 

You have fans everywhere!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 AM) : 

I agree they both have very cool shades - although the lady's are not exclusively a fashion statement. I believe they may have a medical purpose and are used post-surgery for cataracts or glaucoma. We should all protect our eyes as well as she does!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:37 AM) : 

awwwww, such a lovely couple. but her shades totally blew me away. i kept wondering if she is kanye west´s grandma. lol.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 AM) : 

I've left a comment everytime the sart touches me with these types of photos so I won't blabber on again except to repeat that fashion is for everyone, young, old and all points on the beauty curve (in some way every human is beautiful and they can find a way to express that in fashion, even with very little cash)

I would only add that I enjoyed the Agnelli history lesson.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:08 AM) : 

the madame's sunglasses are called 'blueblockers', and yes, they protect your eyes and allow you to wear your glasses at the same time.

i agree with the language thing. even if its just a few sentences in each language. it's amazing how many doors you can open and how many smiles you receive when you attempt to learn a piece of another's culture.

especially the french, they really appreciate it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 AM) : 

Lovely shot, lovely couple, and a nice story to boot.

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (11:49 AM) : 

I think I saw music impresario Rick Rubin do this at an awards show and remember thinking, that is a very odd look. But now seeing it in this fortuitous photograph I am thinking that once I hit a certain age I might give it a try.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

What a great story! Thanks for sharing that.

One thing I often wonder when I look at these pictures is, What was that person thinking as they got dressed that morning? How did they make decisions about what to put together? It would be really educational to hear more about that, if you ever get the chance to ask!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:39 PM) : 

What I love is that the guy is wearing the tie out for himself. He didn't expect to be seen or photographed. He's not trying to set trends or make a statement. He just likes it that way so that's how he wears it.
I wonder if the same could be said for they guy with the track pants below, or for the guy with the ripped shirt and the folded-over belt below.
This guy rocks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 PM) : 

I love his style from head to toe. Great sunglasses. Simple but elegant jacket. I love the quirky tie on the outside of the sweater. And the man bag is lovely. His wife's navy coat is gorgeous. Quelle ensemble!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 PM) : 

Great! Kind of has a little "Jack" to him. Nicholson not Daniels. A Rascal nonetheless. Would be something if he had on some Chuck Taylors with that. HA! I love old guys in sneakers. Mischievous.I'm sure it was a fine loafer from years past and worked perfectly.Thank You.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 PM) : 

Great pair that dress well!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 PM) : 

Wonderful. Both are classy and stylish. I adore her blue on blue ensemble; I can totally imagine them in the South of France enjoying their quiet days.

 

Blogger benson said ... (3:48 PM) : 

and how wonderful that your blog is that well respected (not to mention well known) AROUND THE WORLD!! How fabulous is that?!

 

Blogger The Beauty Mum said ... (5:35 PM) : 

Oh lovely, lovely, lovely! Yes, adore those Margiela-esque shades - style AND function rocks! And the shot overall is gorgeous how all the colours co-ordinate. Love the story too, bet you were thrilled to get that shot. I wonder if they will ever see it on your blog?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:47 PM) : 

Phyllis 10:09 AM and others,

Thank you for the info on the sunglasses!

 

Blogger Guapóloga said ... (12:58 AM) : 

Good for you!! If you were in Mexico o Latin America or Spain and I'd be around, I would help you too!

By the way, I love the scarf of the lady, beautiful blue!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:13 AM) : 

Amen to what tj said.

Love how they're both rocking their own different colour schemes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:03 PM) : 

look like they are taking a well deserved rest after a long 15 minute walk from their little old european car. I absolutely love little characters like this. It always reminds me of who we are inheriting the beauty of the world which is now from. preserve it!!

my grandmother pairs these sunglasses with a large had and a little white bob 'do. yes, they are for glaucoma, haha, but I think they just make this outlandish and hilarious statement, especially on a well dressed old dame.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:43 PM) : 

You dont have to be a "certain age" to wear a tie outside a sweater. As long as it works, (ususally with a V-neck) then pull it off. I've rocked the tie over the sweater and I work in the industry with people who think it's wrong. It's not. Its personal style & taste.
This couple have beautifully shown both.
Merci.

 

Blogger AnnaBaNAna° said ... (3:07 AM) : 

her sunglasses rock soooo much!!! very retro.. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:29 AM) : 

Agnelli used to wear his watch over the cuff of his shirt as well. Maybe he had some outside/in fetish going on!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 PM) : 

I have to say.... I highly disagree with this man wearing chucks.
i think that would entirely ruin the european charm and classic style that this bloke has. a perfectly polished little pair of loafers would be marvelous (hopefully matching his bag)- and I would love her to be wearing some little red pumps :). This is a fantastic couple. I wish I could hear the story of how they met and grew old together.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:43 AM) : 

oh what a nice style..awesome

 

Blogger Trevor Patt said ... (3:19 AM) : 

I never could stand wearing a tie under a sweater, but picked up on the 'Agnelli Look' from your first Agnelli post, way, way back. Meant to thank you then, Sart. I don't think this is a look in any way restricted to that 'certain age."

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:34 AM) : 

I wonder if he's wearing his watch over his cuff. Or if his decision to wear that was as thought out as Agnelli's would've been.

Either way... cool as a fan!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:52 AM) : 

I love her Chanel bag!! It's so great to see it on a classy lady like the way it's meant to be!

 

Blogger Giuseppe said ... (12:43 AM) : 

I hope I can be awesome when I am old.

Pictures like these give me hope for the future.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:54 AM) : 

I WANT TO LOOK LIKE THAT WHEN I GROW OLD!

 

Blogger Char said ... (7:45 AM) : 

Hospitality à la France Sud. People are much friendlier there than in the more metrop cities.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:52 AM) : 

I also like the way l'Avvocato used to wear his watch over his shirt.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting