This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Channeling Marcello, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, April 17, 2008

On the Street....Channeling Marcello, New York

Comments on "On the Street....Channeling Marcello, New York"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 AM) : 

If only you could find women's tailoring that is so unambiguously perfect! Love the brown check with the brown spots and what a great shirt collar.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:19 AM) : 

o làlà! Nice, the dots and the squares, and the "hanky".
(A bit too much brwon overall for my personal taste though)

 

Blogger Dave David said ... (8:22 AM) : 

I love visiting your site, its my daily cup of tea.
Love it!!

Quick question, I take photos here and there as a hobby and I'm sure you own a professional camera. But what are your settings (Aperture, Focus, etc...) to get the background blurry to make the foreground POP like you do.

Thanks in advance!

 

Blogger Will Anderson said ... (8:42 AM) : 

Are his pants black? I really like the jacket, overall its a great look but I think I would have added some more color in the tie

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:02 AM) : 

Chocolate - divine. Love that tie.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:09 AM) : 

mmm chocolatey delicious!

 

Blogger Sam said ... (9:32 AM) : 

Sharp! He also looks like he'd be a funny guy. Not sure why I get that, but I do.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:39 AM) : 

Great looking guy. Great tan, good hair, and great sunglasses.
I don't see anything exceptional about the clothes.
I think this is a case of "the man makes the clothes" instead of "the clothes make the man".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 AM) : 

wow, tan much? his skin goes with the outfit. i really love the dark chocolate-y color of his coat though. reminds me of hershey's.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 AM) : 

Very nice but I wanted to tell you, I loved the photo of you in this month's French Vogue.
(Kate Moss on the cover)

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (10:22 AM) : 

I second what Kate said @ 8:18...Love the way he is standing...his hands. Truly cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 AM) : 

Now I'm a big brown fan myself, but this is way too much. But hey, the Bahamas was so much fun (over tan), why not just let the fun go on in NY??!

Energie

 

Blogger frederick kambo said ... (11:22 AM) : 

The assymetrical tie bar and crooked pocket square make an otherwise studied look entirely natural. Very well carried.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 AM) : 

VERY Marcello... well done sir.

 

Blogger Anne Corrons said ... (11:29 AM) : 

Quelle classe!

 

Blogger Richard said ... (11:49 AM) : 

I love his jacket/tie combination.

Aviators to be big this year?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:55 AM) : 

Is homeboy posing? Wonderful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:55 AM) : 

I appreciate the humor in the pose as well. Love the clothes, and here's a man who's not afraid to lead with his chin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

LOVE this! Love the brown and white and pattern mix, and the brown stitch on the pocket square. I want to steal the entire outfit right off him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 PM) : 

godammit i tried to do this with some sunglasses but they just ended up looking like black raybans. i', a girl with a fringe as well so it dodnt work

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

I thought this was Lee Trevino!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 PM) : 

Dave David 8:22

I am wondering the same thing about the camera settings. Could it be wide aperture for short depth of field? I'm still experimenting!

 

Blogger Erica Bergstrom said ... (12:32 PM) : 

What a fantastic looking man! Very masculine, yet refined.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:27 PM) : 

Love the chocolate with the white, the subtle attention to detail (tie and hanky), and the well matched up windowpane of the jacket. Best of all this guy looks as though he is ready to burst out laughing... not taking himself too seriously.

~ Miss Mary

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:45 PM) : 

not into the (fake?) tan or the tie knot. like the browns w/ the white though...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 PM) : 

I LOVE him. He looks like the kind of person I'd want to meet and have a coffee with.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:26 PM) : 

This guy has spunk! As a big fan of brown, I really like this look overall. Love the patterns on the tie and jacket.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:31 PM) : 

Not just a great fit, but the tailor did a nice job at matching up the window pane so they continue accross to the sleeve. Bravo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:53 PM) : 

the tie is a bit too big for my taste. but hell this is one expensive outfit. and he knows how to carry it. gotta give props for that.

 

Blogger Sabrina said ... (2:59 PM) : 

I love the box print on his blazer. He's stylin'

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:01 PM) : 

I find this a bit too matchy matchy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:10 PM) : 

I just lost my obsession with a perfectly flat-folded- finessesed pocket square. Restrained Agnelli in the best sense.

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (4:15 PM) : 

Great hair! Love that he's let it go grey.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:15 PM) : 

he wore it well! nice combination with a perfect fit!

 

Blogger Alicia said ... (4:22 PM) : 

I love the mix of tan on chocolate patterns with the play between the plaid and the small shapes on his tie, and the serged border of the pocket square.
But, don't tell me, those pants aren't black, are they!?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:49 PM) : 

i love the pose! did you do the picture in front of Tiffany's?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:30 PM) : 

First I thought it's George Clooney, but then I saw the perfect dress he was wearing and rapidly discarded that thought.

Who would have thought that brown suits with brown ties can be so chic?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:53 PM) : 

Yummy!

-chaos

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 PM) : 

Super cool.

 

Blogger Candace said ... (7:34 PM) : 

He definitely looks like a bar of the finest chocolate...i love it! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 PM) : 

Trying to sell brown to an American was one of the hardest things when I worked at Brooks Bros.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:29 PM) : 

Like it, like him. I'm gonna say the jacket is cashmere or at least a soft blend. The pants look charcoal which is perfect. I'm betting the shoes are a rich chocolate brown suede, or a nice rich cognac would do. Definitely could see him on the set of Pret 2. Jacket length ? A short going for a regular maybe ? All in all right on.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 PM) : 

I posted at 4:10 PM and missed 11:22 AM asymetrical tie bar comment: great catch. I don't know if you're "right" but I'm absolutely in agreement with you.

 

Blogger Peter said ... (9:48 PM) : 

I love the tie, the clip, and the way it's haphazardly tossed contrasting with the his refined and manicured pose. Although, which continent do orange people come from?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 PM) : 

I certainly adore this particular shade of brown, there’s a lot of wine in it. It looks very crisp with the white.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 PM) : 

i dont think it resembles marcello in the least. when i think of marcello, i think finely tailored black suit and dark black glasses. marcello would never wear something as ugly as that jacket.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:39 AM) : 

Scott, the new GQ has (besides your pics and comments on Parisians) a few words elsewhere on "hand in the jacket pocket" as an effect - or affectation.

Like the shades - a variant on the Persol 649/714 shape, by ... can't quite place them.

One again - when you go gray it's time to wear brown, even if you never did before.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (12:50 AM) : 

Beautiful. The sport coat, the trousers, brown tie, tie clip, pocket square. There's a whole lotta wonderful going on here. Most of all, I love this young gentleman's hair and sunglasses. A brilliant execution. This is a chap one would love to have as one's wing man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 AM) : 

I guess I'll be the minority view here, but I think the black pants are perfect with this jacket. It's the tie that's off! A black, (yes, black) tie would play off the hair and the pants and pull everything together, imo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 AM) : 

i love his look! brown rocks!

 

Blogger Reem said ... (1:47 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Reem said ... (1:48 AM) : 

Oh lala he is totally working this outfit! I absolutely love it on him, it's so unique.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:24 AM) : 

What thumbs on this guy. Reminds me of the way Littleton people hide away in the churchyard on Wednesday nights in Ponca hills. It's that brown. And that tilt. And I'm sure his swagger is just as elegant as Proust scholar in Rome on a budget.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:58 AM) : 

Whats the name of those sun glasses? I need them now.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (7:20 AM) : 

the pants and shoes are brown

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 AM) : 

I second the sunglasses comment.. Where can I get some?

 

Blogger Yi said ... (12:30 PM) : 

ooo.. can he be my sugar daddy? love that his skin is so tan too.. makes his marcello look that much more authentic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 PM) : 

Yes, wide checks are in. Cool sunglasses.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:38 PM) : 

This incredibly handsome man is my fiance...thank you my friend The Sartorialist for finally finding him (you have found me several times!) He is truly the most elegant dressed man from head to toe, nothing studied about him. Always had great style and taste, never following trends and always ahead of the time. Fashion trends seem to follow him. I am the luckiest of women...but not easy keeping up with him. By the way, tan is natural...jacket cashmere...tie 7 fold...custom designed gold rope tie bar--by me..best sunglasses ever. As the saying goes...Fashion Changes, Style Remains.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 PM) : 

Speaking of French collars and big tie knots. This gent has it nearly perfect.

I have never understood why American men tie such tight knots in their ties. I think it hides the tie, so why even wear a tie if you must hide it.

I tie a loose and big knot on most every tie I wear and lately I am wearing almost only the French collar which works really nicely with a well fitting suit.

 

Blogger k said ... (3:46 PM) : 

The color looks absolutely divine on him. Great sunglasses too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:01 PM) : 

sophisticated without being studied, elegant without being pretentious. well done, sir.

 

Blogger Tony Bravo said ... (7:04 PM) : 

Your blog is a daily little reminder of unexpected beauty in the world.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:18 PM) : 

Great outfit! It is not that easy to wear a jacket with this kind of checks (size) in a good combination. The pattern of the tie fits nicely to the jacket, any other colour than white for the shirt wouldn't do. If his shoes are of the same colour as the belt (and his tan) it is perfect! Only the tie knot I do not like: too big, no dimple.

My regular visits to The Sartorialist site are always a great way of relaxation and inspiration for me! Thanks from a German fan!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:51 AM) : 

Mastroianni lives!
(see this poster for 'La citta delle donne' by Fellini: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1346870784/tt0080539)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:11 AM) : 

It's a great look but then he starts with the considerable advantage that he looks like a male model. It always helps! I have no problem with the brown tie and brown jacket, it's a monochromatic effect that was popular with Cary Grant although he usually went the grey route. Oddly enough I recently purchased a rather similar jacket in Brown linen/silk blend from good old BB's but with a peaked lapel so I'm going to experiment with some brown ties. I'll have to work on the sun tan!!

 

Blogger ES said ... (9:02 PM) : 

swoon

 

Blogger pearlaceous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

It's funny that a few of us thought of chocolate, the color looks yummy. Brown can be a very boring and plain color, but it can also be rich and elegant, and he definitely knows how to wear it..

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:28 AM) : 

the pants are brown

 

Blogger oliver said ... (7:50 PM) : 

absolutely wonderful. love the checked brown suit and the tie is amazing, and i have to say, his facial expression is great, trying to hold in that smile.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 PM) : 

excellent outfit. i love the combination of the different shapes.

 

Blogger suzannemarques said ... (10:34 AM) : 

i love the chocolate suit. even more delicious than the real thing! he does look like a lot of fun

 

Blogger Style Salvage Steve said ... (11:24 AM) : 

I love everything about this man. The polka dot tie playfully teases the check detailing of the suit. His expression and pose is perfect. I wish I was that photogeneic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 PM) : 

Tie knot is too big, should be a four-in-hand or a Prince Albert.

Otherwise very good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 PM) : 

Great portrait

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:16 AM) : 

love the outfit, love the reference even more

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:56 AM) : 

really nice really powerful, what a suit should be

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:02 PM) : 

That is a lovely chocolate brown combination.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:52 PM) : 

I know this man. He has excellent taste and he wears his clothing well. The trick is not just well tailored clothing, its good health and staying in great shape. We can take a page from his book.

 

Anonymous Adidas Ski Goggles said ... (9:12 PM) : 

Oh yes, the brown check dress is really cool.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting