This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Park Ave, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

On the Street.....Park Ave, NYC



People ask "How do you run into the same people in a city as big as New York?"

This young man is a consultant for high-end menswear brands. A big part of his job is to understand what is happening in the American retail market.

Because of that I often see him walking Madison Ave. and when he is dressed like this, it is not hard to miss him (even from two blocks away).

Comments on "On the Street.....Park Ave, NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:42 AM) : 

Is he Fabrizio Capigatti?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:42 AM) : 

Young man? Well - young at heart definitely! (has there been a photo mix up?) :o)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 AM) : 

old man style

 

Blogger mette said ... (8:55 AM) : 

Yep,he is recognizable indeed.

 

Blogger Pandechion said ... (9:01 AM) : 

If there is any justice in the world, my husband will be dressing like this in twenty years.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:12 AM) : 

i definitely dont mean this as an insult as i absolutely love your blog but sometimes i hear rumours that a lot of your shots are ''staged''...
but then i see men like this one on your blog and it makes me smile.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:16 AM) : 

For Anon 9:12


there is nothing staged about my shots unless it is a special project like the Absolut ad or my GQ page when I want to shoot a specific person or area.

I just think about it, I couldn't possibly know all the people I shoot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:23 AM) : 

I've never been to New York. These pictures just convince me that I should go. What a character!

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (9:31 AM) : 

This looks like a guy I'd like to know! Great style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:39 AM) : 

There's a great sense of humour in this chap - I'd love to meet him; I'm sure he wouldn't take himself too seriously.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

remind me of the color pallet of cdg.
Viva spring!!
and scarf's gray color also matches his hair.great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

Particular love for the second picture. I love these bright blues of late?

Just a personal note, though--I wouldn't be flattered to be inaccurately called "young" any more than I'd be flattered to be inaccurately termed another gender or race, as is suggests that what I am isn't as good as what I'm being labeled with. He's not cool in spite of his age--his age is part of why he's so great.

 

Blogger me said ... (9:46 AM) : 

The best thing about his look his his smile.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:49 AM) : 

looks like Richard Merkin, is it?

 

Blogger momo said ... (9:51 AM) : 

I love it when men wear bright colors!

 

Blogger Moniker said ... (9:52 AM) : 

i want those shades :)

 

Blogger Eleanor said ... (10:03 AM) : 

I'm really enjoying reading your commentary under each photo. Your words add a great deal.

Ever since I found your blog I look at the people around me differently. I also dress a little more consciously. You have taught me that if I only train my eye to look I can find beauty in unexpected places.

Thanks, and congratulations on making the top-blog lists.

 

Blogger tea said ... (10:10 AM) : 

1. It is his smile that makes the outfit. He seems like the life of the party, and not because of his clothes. You have a good eye for capturing your subjects' inner natures. The clothes are just the icing on these very wonderful cakes. I have a hunch many of these people would look fabulous no matter what they wear. Their personas make for a complete look, not just a conglomeration of disparate articles.

2. This man does a very good job at his job. It seems this color combo is very much the buzz right now. In fact, inspired by yesterday's gal in front of the dirty mattress, I felt compelled to wear blue tights with a red skirt. I almost would have matched your gentleman here if I had gone with my instinct and put on the camel sweater. I wonder how many other people did the same today. (Wearing these colors I mean.)

3. When I lived in Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, and London, I often ran into the same people. It's part of the ebb and flow, the hum of things. It makes a person feel alive and part of something, doesn't it?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:19 AM) : 

Fun! Especially on an older gent... I see two color schemes going on. One with the glasses, trousers, shoes and belt and the other with the jacket, shirt and scarf. And it works nicely... no wonder he is smiling!

~ Miss Mary

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 AM) : 

Love the gut. Love the cigar. Love the stubble. Dis guy's very comfortable in his own skin...and it shows. Bravo!

 

Blogger Rebecca said ... (10:41 AM) : 

I love that you are adding more personal commentary to your posts. I think it will help people see where you are coming from and where to look for inspiration in your pictures! Bravo!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (10:48 AM) : 

Unique style! Love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 AM) : 

Another example of unbuttoned shirt cuffs.
Do we see a trend developing before our eyes?
The scarf and the blazer work nicely together.

 

Blogger NorthShore Chicago said ... (11:02 AM) : 

He is definetaly ready for spring.

 

Blogger Emma2M said ... (11:08 AM) : 

Pink & electric blue... a cool spring association, I have to think about it. I'm keen on those people who dare to wear that kind of glasses. I love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 AM) : 

Why should it surprise anyone that people with lots of money, style assistants, or jobs in the industry tend to have noticeable clothes?

These things tend to correlate with high quality up-market clothing, liberty, and/or the necessity of looking fashionable.

Obviously, Sart's blog proves (among other things) that style and fashion don't belong exclusively to the rich, famous, or industry insiders.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 AM) : 

YES! Love this young man.

 

Blogger Jo said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Such fun! May he continue to be forever young.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 AM) : 

Sart
As, ahem, older fan I am pleased that you choose your subjects for their style, not their beauty, fame, age or wealth. And the cigar? a thing of beauty.

PG

 

Blogger tintin said ... (11:41 AM) : 

So that's where Flusser is getting it from.

 

Blogger BLOGGGGG said ... (11:49 AM) : 

love, LOVE the glasses.

 

Blogger Unicorn Jones said ... (11:49 AM) : 

SART!!!

I love love love your commentary with the photos. It helps us understand why you chose those people, what you like about it, and how what we like about is different or the same. I know you can't comment on ALL the photos, but whenever you could, please do!! it really adds to my experience. thanks!

-uj
http://www.unicornjones.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Cerisa said ... (11:58 AM) : 

oooh dandy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

+1 on Rebecca's compliment about more comments from Sart, and ...

... oh ...


... Spring has sprung!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

He makes me smile, and so do his clothes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:19 PM) : 

"This young man "
Thank you, Scott! You got the point.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 PM) : 

Wow, what a character! I'm not surprised you can see him from two blocks away :)

In response to the age comment above, I think it is perfectly acceptable to name this gentleman a young man - it is simply a polite use of words :)

Ruby
www.urbankittys.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:09 PM) : 

the colors of the shirt and pants together look startlingly hideous.

is he color blind?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:29 PM) : 

Pictures like this make me want to age so that I can pull off outfits like he is wearing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:36 PM) : 

Great colour combination. I had trouble with the young comment too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:41 PM) : 

Maybe I have been in the Palm Beaches for too long, I dont think the frames are that extravagant. I do think that one bold piece per outfit is enough- two is one too many. I would have picked between the bright pink shirt OR the plaid scarf, but then maybe I am too conservative. The clothes fit very well and that makes for a great outfit nonetheless. He looks happy and that's all that matters. Jorge from West Palm Beach.

 

Blogger xx.e said ... (3:07 PM) : 

so stylish, so chic. that azure?? blue against the khaki is so gorgeous!! (and the pink.. ahh!!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:09 PM) : 

Scott,

You and your blog became my addiction. My daily routine which I did not have before and my curious hunt for images that surprise me with their approach..

 

Blogger ALLIE said ... (3:22 PM) : 

Scott, please keep up with the personal commentary. It really elevates the site to something more enjoyable. I really do love his scarf.

 

Blogger Mitchell Weiss said ... (3:41 PM) : 

This shot made my day. My late grandfather had a coat in this color blue. His smile makes the shot as someone already commented and I completely agree.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (3:43 PM) : 

Wonderful photo, Sart. I absolutely love the colour of this young gentleman's shirt. It pairs well with the trousers and specs. The colour of the shoes is superb too. Are they EGs (Asquith? Canterbury?)? In all, a great pic. Well done.

 

Blogger Sabrina said ... (4:23 PM) : 

Thank you many many times over for this photo! The color combination is so inspiring. I love individuals who have developed their own sense of style beyond runway trends.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:28 PM) : 

Would be wonderful to have a colourful man like that in my life when i get old! Lovely!

 

Blogger JO said ... (4:33 PM) : 

He looks like he is from Maimi South Beach :) Love his colors :) and smile!

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (4:34 PM) : 

What character!

I enjoy your 'old man style' shots. They remind me of the men that populated my childhood. My grandfather was a grounds keeper at a masonic retirement home in the 70's. The 'guests,' as they were called, were always in jackets and ties. That generation did it well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:39 PM) : 

He looks like an architect or art critic to me.

Love the glasses.. wonder where you can get frames like that?

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (4:57 PM) : 

I like people who dress like this. I don't know why, but I tend to gravitate toward them, asking who they are, what they do. Why? Because they just look interesting and approachable. That's how I met Howie and Tawny, some friends in Hollywood (on my blog now). They were dressed much the same.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 PM) : 

The whole package is fantastic. He just exudes jolliness and laughter to me! You should really come to SF and Oakland for some personal style. Oakland is also the epicenter of stylish people on bicycles. I personally love your bicycle shots - being a bicyclist myself, I check out the person AND the bike!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:05 PM) : 

i don't believe you...i think you have the numbers of some of the sartorialist "stars" and call them up to shoot them if you happen to be running low on good shots.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (8:09 PM) : 

For Anon 8:05

Like who?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 PM) : 

love him!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:02 PM) : 

Sart,
Love the blog, love the subjects, love the commentary!!!Love it, love it, love it...Truly inspirational.
Love the the bold colors on this gent, looks as if he brings his own personal sunshine wherever he goes.

 

Blogger discotheque confusion said ... (9:29 PM) : 

i love that you're posting more commentaries at the moment, it makes the pictures seem that bit more special when you can explain the circumstances.

and to anon 8.05, that is quite possibly the silliest idea i've heard all day; but I love the fact you actually put it out there.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:48 PM) : 

so good!

 

Blogger Nelson vH said ... (5:09 AM) : 

Good morning Scott,

funny how some people just cannot believe that there´s Gentlemen, like the one pictured here, who are daring, humorous and tastefull that they dress like this everyday.

Folks, lemme tell you: If you know who you are, you start to give a f..k what others think about how you dress! Freedom of mind is the key to a unique style!
It´s not about knowing whats hot in Paris...it´s about knowing what you want to see in the mirror!
Think about it!

About the gentlemens look:
Great colours! Fresh and daring but still absolutely classical. Worn with a state of mind that shines trhu´in the details! I like the scarf, the coat, the shirt, the shades. Also, check his cuffs - undone!

I wouldnt go for blazer pockets on a sportscoat, I wouldnt wear pants with pleats - and still have to say this is a GREAT and TASTEFULL look!

I guess: HE REALLY KNOWS WHO HE IS AND WHAT HE WANTS TO SEE LOOKING IN THE MIRROR!

 

Blogger Char said ... (5:10 AM) : 

Don't know about the salmon/candy pink shirt, but the jacket and the scarf work. Somehow I get the feeling of more European.

 

Blogger maggieescargot said ... (7:29 AM) : 

he is an inspiration (:
i only wish to be that hip when i age.
i mean..look at those hip sunnies- and even at that age, they look awesome.

i always (secretly) feared that i can't be fashionable when im older, i.e, when i have grandchildren -
but now, i'm simply inspired.

thanks mr. satorialist. :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 AM) : 

come on- THIS is a fashoinisto indeed!
I would be lucky if ANY man I know would dress up this masculine and confident!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:40 PM) : 

I simply love the top photo. I cannot help but smile when I look at it.

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (12:54 PM) : 

I think it boils down to being comfortable and accepting with who you are and how you feel.

The people I've liked the most on this blog, whether or not they're in the industry, are the ones who have that something extra --maybe it's a smile, or a knowing look that yes, they know life it's better to laugh and skip.

Even if you leave your house with your sweater on inside out and backwards as I did the other day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:13 PM) : 

Reminds me of the old "Daniel Hechter" days. Personally not into it but glad he is. He definitely is enjoying, which is a critical ingredient to pulling this off. I like the jacket and scarf together, I might have gone subtle on the shirt. Can not stand pleated tapered trousers of any kind, Incotex, Barbera, doesn't matter. Just me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 PM) : 

He's so Wes Anderson-y!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:22 AM) : 

I don't understand the objection to pleats on trousers. They are a detail that add class- a fullnes, a richness to even the most ordinary trousers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:26 PM) : 

To me there always is a thin line between extraordinary style and looking ridiculous. He definitively shows great style, admirable! I especially love the scarf with the entire outfit and the shoes!

 

Blogger Carl Hult said ... (6:20 AM) : 

The belt - from Hackett - first I´ve seen wearing it besides myself. Looking at this fella it doesn´t surprise me thought, We have the same style with the exception that the strong colors would´t fit my pale swedish complexion. A summer in the french riviera will fix that for me.
Carl

 

Blogger Susie said ... (7:24 AM) : 

I love your commentary too, so please keep that up. I'd love to have lunch with this man. I'm sure it would be an excellent time. In the second pix his smile and his expression!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 PM) : 

Yes - to the first comment - it is Fabrizio.

And Scott, just picked up Fantastic Man - the article is great! Congrats

 

Blogger Lucky said ... (5:43 PM) : 

hahaaha, HE IS MY FAVOURITE PERSON EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

 

Blogger amyw said ... (6:10 PM) : 

I love this. He just exudes personality and creativity in his smile and his ensemble.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:05 AM) : 

lovely!! just Lovely!

 

Blogger Salóme said ... (9:46 AM) : 

I think I love this man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:27 PM) : 

He looks so freaking fun, you just wanna go talk to him! Haha! And the glasses are really neat!

 

Blogger devon said ... (10:44 PM) : 

PERFECT backdrop!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting