This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Spring In Her Step, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

On the Street.....Spring In Her Step, NYC


I was a little frustrated yesterday.

Even though the weather was very nice I didn't get even one shot after about four hours of walking.

Finally I had to give up and go pick-up my little girl from school.

Because I'm a big softie I went to get my little one a cupcake for afterschool snack and boom....there was this young lady in there buying cupcakes for an office birthday party.

Sometimes doing something special for your kids can have a way of working out for you.

Actually this whole crazy ride started with me just taking pictures of my kids. (please don't tell them that though because I will end up paying dearly at birthday time)

Comments on "On the Street.....Spring In Her Step, NYC"

 

Blogger Felix Werbowy said ... (8:35 AM) : 

Looking at an image like this one can make your day start off on a soft note. The color of the dress looks great against her skin.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:36 AM) : 

Clearly fate had a hand in your cupcake mission... The blue is beautiful and I love fold and fit of the top of the dress. (Also love that sunshine.)

 

Blogger Emily said ... (8:38 AM) : 

I love the blue of her dress with the yellow flowers (daffodils?) just behind.

I also love that you started by taking pictures of your kids.

 

Blogger mette said ... (8:58 AM) : 

I see a cute blue summer dress. Sorry,that´s all I see.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 AM) : 

Please tell me if anyone knows where she got that dress. The color is perfect cornflower blue. I love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 AM) : 

Grrr, once again, a woman who is pretty enough to make you ignore the fact that her clothes DON'T FIT. It's a great picture, but it is not truly great style.

Her dress is wrinkled and gaps at the bust. Even if it was intended for layering, it shouldn't pull that way at the top button. The pleats should lie flat all the way down. And I don't iron either, but I don't buy linen. Her sash is squished and her skirt is all creased.

I've said it here before: women need good tailoring at least as much as men do.

 

Blogger Jana said ... (9:15 AM) : 

Cute dress.. feels like summer's here already!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:25 AM) : 

Weren't you at one point a children's photographer? I remember your site, it was still up in the Sartorialist early days. I've always wondered why that part of your bio never made it into the articles about you.

Alex

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (9:33 AM) : 

I remember some early photos of your daughters. They should be pleased to have provided to inspiration for this blog! (And you DO owe them at birthday time)

 

Blogger momo said ... (9:49 AM) : 

She is lovely! I also like the dress.

 

Blogger Moniker said ... (9:49 AM) : 

wow must have been a really nice day!

we're still wearing jackets in DC.. :(

i love how elegant yet soo simple her outfit is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

I love that you can see scars on her shins. The bumps we get through life! It's details like that that make your photos so great and real.

 

Blogger Diana said ... (10:06 AM) : 

I think this girl is very cute. Beside the dress, i love the blue patches (is this the right expression for that?) on the legs, (like little children have when they fall down) i think it completes the picture.
:-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 AM) : 

So when you ask these people to take their picture, do you explain who you are? Or do they think you're just a crazy dude with a camera? How is it that they agree to be photographed?

 

Blogger Ling said ... (10:19 AM) : 

Nothing wrong with a tidy dress, a pair of simple flats during the first few days of spring!

 

Blogger Heather said ... (10:24 AM) : 

She is truly lovely!

Heather

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 AM) : 

Lovely. The big comeback of all kinds of dresses is one of the greatest ideas in fashion nowadays, and a huge, huge favor and compliment for all women.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (10:50 AM) : 

Her dress is adorable! Such a beautiful color!

 

Blogger Alysa said ... (10:51 AM) : 

Classic Sartorialist shot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

Simple and sweet.
Nothing wrong with that.

 

Blogger bridal fashion by MILLIE said ... (11:23 AM) : 

I've been loving blue lately....and this shade is perfect. Is that a tank under her dress?? Good layer.

 

Blogger O!Lightning said ... (12:10 PM) : 

beautiful girl. her dress suits her look of innocent charm. i love the color on her and the shape is just right for her body, and for spring.

 

Blogger Jerome O'Brien said ... (12:28 PM) : 

Love the story. Don't love this image. She's beautiful, as all the women you shoot are, but this just seems so bland to me. Like the dress alright, but this needs better shoes and where the hell is her handbag? Lady must have a bag! Accessories? She needs one more element to make this worthy of a shot.

 

Blogger Laura said ... (12:47 PM) : 

I've enjoyed reading your thoughts these past few posts. Please continue!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 PM) : 

She looks so pretty and happy!

 

Blogger Cacey said ... (1:15 PM) : 

Awe, how sweet! Isn't it wonderful how your day can turn like that? I love this picture. I love her natural look, hair, makeup, and the simplicity of her outfit. And how it fits her so well. This shot and your story make me happy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:28 PM) : 

where do we think she got that dress? I want it like burning.

 

Blogger M/B said ... (1:38 PM) : 

i wish it was spring here too…
instead of that, it's… snowing!
can't wait anymore

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:14 PM) : 

The simplicity of this seems bold: no jewelry, little or no makeup, simple hair, simple flats.

Just a beautiful young woman in a perfect casual summer dress (which, I would argue, is actually hard to find!). And she seems to be stepping towards the viewer. The result is an incredibly compelling picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 PM) : 

ameliaeve is correct. the dress doesn't fit quite right, but it's still a fabulous dress.

 

Blogger Raven said ... (3:09 PM) : 

This is a perfect look for cupcake baking or buying! A ring or watch wouldn't hurt -- nothing fancy, but some kind of jewelry to take this beyond just a dress.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:49 PM) : 

Dear Sart,

A true XXI century American beauty if there ever was one!

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (3:54 PM) : 

Thank you for taking a picture of a woman who is not carrying a rucksack-sized bag.

 

Blogger Nadine said ... (4:02 PM) : 

Love it. A good dress (with a cami) and some nice flats are all you need.

 

Blogger S. said ... (4:44 PM) : 

Blue it's so nice, really feeling that colour.

But I really don't believe its warm enough to wear a dress and just flats now!!! ? At least she must have worn a cardigan..

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (4:55 PM) : 

I've always said cupcakes are good for you! See?
Great dress, and what a great sport this lady was to let you take her picture!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:26 PM) : 

Cute but c'mmon.. which part of NYC was she in?? It was not that warm...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:59 PM) : 

ahhh, it's so nice to see some simplicity after all of the winter layers.

and who cares if it's a little bit wrinkled? 1) she works in an office and probably spends most of her day sitting. 2) sometimes the perfection is in the imperfection.

 

Blogger Kati said ... (6:32 PM) : 

The color is beautiful, the shot is beautiful, and the daffodils make me happy. But, it is a very "basic" outfit--not especially daring. Although I agree--the bruised shins are a nice touch, and add a wonderful dose of humanity to the look. I just wish it was maybe done with funkier shoes, or something to give it some zing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:34 PM) : 

Yikes, it was NOT that warm here yesterday!!

 

Blogger Scent Hive said ... (7:21 PM) : 

What a sweet dress. I wish it were warm enough here to wear a summer dress. Lovely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 PM) : 

i do love the daffodils in the planter boxes. what a lovely civilising feature in a city, nice shot.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (8:11 PM) : 

for Anon 6:34
she put her coat on the side with her box of cupcakes

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:33 PM) : 

Where did you go to get your cupcakes? I have been having a cupcake craving for months, but I felt I should put it off for the coming of spring.

This is the perfect cupcake-buying dress. It has inspired me to pick out a festive ensemble for my next cupcake endeavour.

BTW, you wouldn't have to pace around for 4 hours if you could just find me!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 PM) : 

what a beautiful photograph. your work is really an art.

 

Blogger discotheque confusion said ... (9:26 PM) : 

ohh i wish my dad bought my fresh cupcakes for afterschool.

shame i'm in college; i don't think having my papa waiting at the gates for my has quite the same effect.

ahh, nostalgia.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 PM) : 

I agree with Amy and Amalieve about the fit, but one bus ride could rumple linen, and the outfit is so simple and sweet, with such a great color. I like seeing these more diverse figures and the ways they make shapes work for them, rather than the perfect models in very high end outfits with unlimited grooming budgets.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 PM) : 

This is just THE dress. Flattering denim-like shade of blue, with *big* symmetrical pleat details, which visually lengthen the torso while making the chest area look well-proportioned as well. I also love the horizontal tucks at the hem. This is elegant cuteness and good design personified, and works well for many body types. You have inspired me, sir! ^^

*rushes out to find a similar dress pattern*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 AM) : 

Gosh there's such innocence in her eyese and he whole demeanour, include the dress she's wearing and the fact that she's wearing flats, compliments that. I think it is a beautiful picture.

Energie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 AM) : 

she looks kiwi.and the dress+flats look looks quite kiwi too..is she kiwi by any chance?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:27 AM) : 

Ah... but the weather was just wonderful yesterday & will be better today....

Lovely dress & photo...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:02 AM) : 

Sart- I would love if every pic had underneath the story of the day before it was taken-
I know it's time comsuming but it gives a better view of the pic itself.
Lovely!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 AM) : 

Eh, voila!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 AM) : 

So simple and so pretty

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:30 AM) : 

i guess in a not-yet-warm new york this would really sand out.
it's a beautiful blue. but the dress can't be more boring. she looks like every other girl in west village.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:18 PM) : 

I think we should excuse it's wrinkles, please, because she is a real person who is out and about, not a model with a garment steamer just out of frame. The dress is linen or thin cotton, the wrinkles are part of the package.

As for the fit about her bust, it probably could have been fixed by readjusting its placement on her shoulders, but again, she is a real person and didn't have a stylist doing "last looks" before the photo was snapped.

Appreciate this for what it is, a lovely, functional outfit, nicely layered and textured, in a beautiful color.

 

Blogger Nathan said ... (8:21 PM) : 

i like how well her dark, flat shoes and pulled back hair seem to harmonise so well with the cut, length and colour of her dress. perfectly balanced i think in an everyday way.

 

Blogger Bexann said ... (10:45 PM) : 

The vivid colors are lovely, but there isn't much else here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 AM) : 

I wish we could see some cupcakes.. kind of goes hand in hand.. sweet looking lady with sweets

 

Blogger Ann (MobayDP) said ... (7:46 PM) : 

I wish I had someone to buy me cupcakes as an after work treat! Oh well...I guess I'll just buy them myself :)

I love the colour of that dress. That blue is so pretty.

I keep looking on her face and thinking that i might know her. Hmm.

 

Blogger ES said ... (11:45 PM) : 

Something I wish I had designed. It's lovely. She is mostly and the dress complements that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:09 PM) : 

the perfect blue for nice day in spring. great look. and so pure: i like that she's not wearing any accesoires.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:28 PM) : 

What did she do to have so many bruises? I love the dress color and the yellow flowers. I also wish she was holding the cupcakes in the photo.

 

Blogger Lucky said ... (5:44 PM) : 

That's a lovely colour on her. Does this look 60's to anyone else?

 

Blogger sarah said ... (12:59 PM) : 

I have a really similar dress from Mango. It isn't that lovely blue though. And it doesn't look as good on me!!

 

Blogger Liv said ... (12:10 AM) : 

I love this dress!
I really appreciate this as a photo,too- the dress, the way she is standing (slightly stepping forward, hands held softly by her hands and the daffodils suggest this beautiful innocence, yet this is juxtaposed by the bare trees, the stark buildings and the "danger" sign behind her.
It really captures the city life.
Love, love, love!
This picture has made my day. Thank you.

 

Blogger miznyc said ... (12:40 AM) : 

oh my word. I want that dress. Anyone know where I can get it?

I'm not crazy about the shoes but they go perfectly with her hair, expression, shin scars, stance and the daffodils - that is to say they all exude a sense of the fresh and the innocent.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:37 PM) : 

why don't you just go over to 27th? the street is constantly filled with young people who have interesting style

 

Blogger cara said ... (6:35 PM) : 

i love how simple this is... but mostly, she has beautiful arms and hands~

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting