This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....The Dogwalker, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, April 11, 2008

On the Street.....The Dogwalker, NYC


This is what I call real personal style because it looks great on her but I'm not sure many other people could pull this off.

Comments on "On the Street.....The Dogwalker, NYC"

 

Blogger donutcake said ... (10:28 AM) : 

I concur. That is so her.

 

Blogger tea said ... (10:29 AM) : 

...and what a great pairing with what is written on the pole!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 AM) : 

i simply love your blog and your photos. i am a photography student but i have a pashion for fashion. hahahhaha nice said, he? i just don't know how i was ablde to live so long without your blog.

it ist fascinating, how you are able to find all this people.


greeeetz

amanda

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 AM) : 

Well i can see a tall skinny and white girl wear it but i think you have to have curves or none.. Im not so sure, well well, who knows?

 

Blogger *L said ... (10:43 AM) : 

I want to be her friend.

 

Blogger wideyed said ... (10:43 AM) : 

Her skin glows next to the purple on her shirt, but I would look washed out and sickly.

Did anyone else notice the words on the signpost?

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (10:44 AM) : 

Love the background! Your shots have really become more sophisticated in the way the surroundings comment on and enhance the subject, Sart.

 

Blogger Monique said ... (10:46 AM) : 

The caption says it all.

It's that beautiful face of hers that really brings it all together.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 AM) : 

i agree. love her hair ;) she seems very comfortable with herself. always a beautiful thing <3

 

Blogger Michael said ... (10:49 AM) : 

GENIUS!
This picture is pure genius!
Love her, love the setting!

Kinda made my day!

 

Blogger Dare said ... (10:51 AM) : 

what a beauty! I hope to marry someone like this someday.

Love the picture too. The little scribble on the metal pole adds alot of attitude to the picture.

 

Blogger Sam said ... (10:53 AM) : 

Is this over on The West Side by Chelsea Market? I like her smile!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:56 AM) : 

another case for a great smile being the best accessory. great location too (not just the graffiti) i like the way the pillars echo the colour of her stockings and boots. an odd style choice all the same but very pretty lady.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:00 AM) : 

Yes, i totally agree with you because she is amazing and everything but on me nap…

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 AM) : 

she's gorgeous. so much radiance, so much vitality. man, i feel so weak and pasty looking at her. i'm going to start on a multi-vitamin course right away.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 AM) : 

My thoughts exactly

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

Agreed - her panache is what makes this outfit sing. That, and her smile.

Nice shot also - love the graffiti.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 AM) : 

A-OK with me. She seems very comfortable.

I've seen her on other sites.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 AM) : 

i think she looks awesome. i had a shirt just like this when i was little.

 

Blogger Jerome O'Brien said ... (11:09 AM) : 

amazing....she really knows herself. what cute hair. and the outfit reminds me of an updated version of what my mom wore in the early 80's.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:17 AM) : 

I love this. She wears it so well.

 

Blogger Emma2M said ... (11:19 AM) : 

Shiny! She's not me, I'm not her. But I do believe in the woman bermudas coming-back! Great perspective.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

La phrase a-t-elle ete ecrite par vous? Parce que si ça n'est pas le cas, le "you're not me" correspond tellement au personnage...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:40 AM) : 

Genius with the graffiti on the beam...don't know how you do it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 AM) : 

Love the "you're not me" tag that she is leaning on, maybe without even knowing..

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (11:43 AM) : 

Agreed, she looks fantastic. This is a great photo too - her pose and that confident smile amid the colourful backdrop is superb.

 

Blogger Kathleen said ... (11:45 AM) : 

The etching on the pole makes this so much better!

 

Blogger CB3 said ... (11:46 AM) : 

This is the smartest dressed dog walker I have ever seen. She is truly in a class all her own.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:04 PM) : 

your caption sums up the graffiti next to her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

delicious!

 

Blogger Ave said ... (12:11 PM) : 

I especially love how the graffiti saying "You're not me" almost complements the individuality and uniqueness of her style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 PM) : 

For once I agree with you. The girl looks pretty and wears her clothes in a relaxed,easy way.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:14 PM) : 

With a smile like that, she could pull off anything.

 

Blogger Red Flashlight said ... (12:15 PM) : 

I love how perfectly her tights match her boots. I think that's a great technique for controlling the viewer's eye (but it's hard to do unless you're wearing black)!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 PM) : 

Agree with you that this is great personal style and not may people could pull this off - even the "you re not me" on the post she is leaning on confirms this. I would be very comfortable with the shirt and shorts, but not with the tights and boots. Obviously she is very comfy and happy.

Love the lighting and background, but where is the dog?

~ Miss Mary

 

Blogger Felix Werbowy said ... (12:26 PM) : 

oh...I love this shirt.

 

Blogger Jessica said ... (12:27 PM) : 

But where are the dogs?

 

Blogger Kara said ... (12:32 PM) : 

Inspired! I love how the tights blend into the tasseled boots! She's got such a genuine smile, too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 PM) : 

I agree....and you are not me.

 

Blogger a girl dreaming of a wild, dangerous life tinged with anarchy said ... (12:42 PM) : 

she is stunning! nice shirt... and you're right. few people could pull this off, but somehow she manages it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 PM) : 

i don't know why but it does work, she is adorable. i would look like a tyrolian troll girl. it's that killer smile. well the long legs help out.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:49 PM) : 

description perfectly captioned of course by the graffiti...i swear, the shots on this site are more brilliantly set up every day

 

Blogger NATRIBU said ... (12:52 PM) : 

I like her blouse and her short trousers, and her hair!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 PM) : 

great photo. Love the "you're not me," particularly for this woman, who seems to have both lovely personal style and demeanor.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 PM) : 

Not into the brown legs.

 

Blogger Kelly said ... (1:02 PM) : 

it definitely works for her. but, yeah, never on me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 PM) : 

I don't care much for what she's wearing-- honestly, she could be wearing a garbage bag, she would still be hot. This is a beautiful woman with a radiant smile and the camera loves her.

 

Blogger Hugh said ... (1:21 PM) : 

wow, great shot, whered you take this?
i love how shes standing next to the words "you are not me"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:28 PM) : 

i think it's amazing how you state not everyone can pull off this look. meanwhile, the woman is standing next to a support that reads, "you are not me."

intentional or not, it's wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM) : 

I'm not sure she pulled it off, either. But still ... foxy!

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (1:44 PM) : 

love the browns and the blues (in the background) and the graffiti (YOU RE NOT ME) and her smile...she reminds me of Lisa Bonet.

 

Blogger Le Hot Tomato said ... (1:45 PM) : 

I'm going to have to disagree with everyone. I feel like I know many people who could easily pull off this look. Seems very chic and wearable to me.

Not that she doesn't look fabulous because she does. The colors make her glow!

 

Blogger Sabrina said ... (2:25 PM) : 

What a beautiful smile! She has a fascinating way of making her clothes her own.

 

Blogger Chike-Ikechi said ... (2:45 PM) : 

Your comment about her making this style is personal own really goes hand in hand with that what's scribbled on that pole. Were you cognizant of that writing or it was a chance opportunity?

 

Blogger Andy said ... (3:04 PM) : 

She is awesome and you are a master.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 PM) : 

For Heaven's Sake Anon. 12:57 PM. She has brown legs whether she wears stockings or not!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:16 PM) : 

Hey, does nobody read the comments or does the Sart print them all at once. A bit repetitious

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:17 PM) : 

great shot Sart

she looks fantastic !!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:22 PM) : 

Very insightful photo and comment that should encourage everyone to try to understand what they look good in. It's not hard to look good in something that is in style but it is pretty hard to be original and look good at the same time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:30 PM) : 

I love this. I want to be her friend too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:44 PM) : 

to: alexandra 10:31am
i'm not quite sure what you mean by a tall skinny white girl wearing this outfit. why do shorts and a buttoned shirt have to be worn by a particular race or body type?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:15 PM) : 

have you ever thought about putting out a book? I would go and buy it!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 PM) : 

I love the shirt and shorts and the leggings/tights and boots look great on her. For me, I would leave off the tights and boots and put it with a cute casual pair of high heel sandals. That would be fun and cute!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:09 PM) : 

Her tights prefectly match her boots; I hope people realize how hard that is to actually pull off! Brown is like red - it comes in an infinite variety of hues and tints...

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (6:13 PM) : 

Yes, it's pulled together by her confidence, which radiance both through her stance and smile.
Bravo!
I think this blog should be mandatory viewing for all writing students.

 

Blogger Irides said ... (6:24 PM) : 

I can think of -one- girl who can wear this and pull it off.. except she probably would have made some changes.

The look wouldn't be the same, in any case. This woman wears this outfit like it's naturally a part of her and it glows with the same strength and vitality that she brings. But the person I'm thinking of would have worn it the way she wears every other outfit--as though it was thrown on without thought, and that indifference encases her outfits.

Lovely picture, lovely caption.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:43 PM) : 

hey, sart, I looked for april french vogue at borders and b&n and neither has it shrink-wrapped with your models supplement. am so disappointed. I know it exists obviously and I see it mentioned in the table of contents under deuxieme cahier or something. and I see yr photo with the contributors. do you know what's up with this?

 

Blogger Anne Corrons said ... (6:44 PM) : 

I love this shirt, but you are right it's not easy to wear!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:59 PM) : 

She looks great and comfortable!

The only thing I don't like are her tights. What other color could they be instead?

The "personal style" shots on this site are the best and my favorites.

 

Blogger Miss Cavendish said ... (7:51 PM) : 

This young women has a winning smile and is able to transform a look that would be totally preppy on someone else into something "downtown."

The madras colors look stunning on her.

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (7:59 PM) : 

love it - completely original.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:14 PM) : 

I love love love what she is wearing and it makes me happy seeing a fellow curvy girl with great style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:22 PM) : 

aww, i wish she had a handful of dogs on leashes to add to this shot...

 

Blogger Yael said ... (8:52 PM) : 

Kanani, I agree with you that this is a great blog. I love practically everything I see on it, but I'm not sure why you think every "writing student" should read it. Care to elaborate?
I love the high waisted shorts with the tucked in blouse and the pop of printed colour looks great with the neutral tones of the shorts. The matching boots and tights make her legs look super long and I think it's a great tip for people who want to get that look. It creates a trick for the eyes that is very flattering. I might just try it soon.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 PM) : 

oh my god. she looks exactly like my mom ca. 1977. i love everything about her. more photos like this please, sart. personal style like this is what i love most about living in new york city.

 

Blogger k said ... (10:24 PM) : 

Marvelous! Totally carefree and joyous. I'd love to have coffee with her and talk about life. She's fun :)

 

Blogger Bexann said ... (10:38 PM) : 

If you look good, like her, pretty much anything looks good on you. She's the very picture of health, vitality, and natural beauty. Otherwise, the tights and boots would have to go.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 PM) : 

She's beautiful! But if I was the dog, I would be ashamed to be seen with her in those leggings.

 

Blogger Candace said ... (11:06 PM) : 

She looks very approachable, i think it's that winning smile of hers....the best accessory for anyone! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:03 AM) : 

she just radiates happiness and it is so great to see. my favorite thing about this outfit is the brightly colored shirt and that she turned the collar up ever so slightly. love it! unfortunately, i think most women would pass up the opportunity to wear such an eye popping plaid shirt. thank goodness she didn't. i also appreciate that this outfit is so casual but she could have taken it any number of directions just with a different choice of footwear.

ok, but i can't get over her smile. you are so lucky, so much sunshine in new york.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:12 AM) : 

I do love how you bring the environment in. I really love rusty and old looking metals, and old buildings.

Finding your blog, has made me more conscious about how I present myself, and it takes my dressing experience to a different level.

I am all about expression and personal style, as I am an artist and yoga teacher (who really loves great clothes, bags and shoes), and love putting things together.

Its wonderful to see people that are not afraid to have fun with how they dress.

 

Blogger Livia said ... (12:32 AM) : 

Just to say that your blog was commented on a Brazilian magazine.
It's The Sartorialist all over the world. Well, you deserve it, such a great work you do!
P.S.: I from Brazil and don't pass a day without check your blog.
Congrats!

 

Blogger Blaise said ... (4:13 AM) : 

That pole says it all..

 

Blogger Carl Hult said ... (6:31 AM) : 

Really nice from waist and below - safari style with ladylike boots.Awesome smile and hair cut. I´m not sure about the shirt, Good thing it´s a mens shirt a blouse wouldn´t fit the picture, but the colors are a bit too much I think. Who cares she is lovely anyway.
C

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 AM) : 

Oh my god, this is so great.
Where did she get that shirt? I need it. If someone knows, post please!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (10:59 AM) : 

Beautiful shot!
She has a cute style! love her boots!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 AM) : 

this is a great look for a sunny yet still mildly chilly spring day in the city. She's straddling the line between two seasons. Genius

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:56 AM) : 

Beauty personified.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 AM) : 

I love the colors on the shirt, with all that neutrality for contrast and the darker brown of the belt to anchor it. I think the problem for most women replicating this wouldn't be the color of the shirt but its untailored shape. I'd wear a tailored version in a heartbeat (which would make it totally different, I know, but I am not her, as the sign says).

Also nice to see somebody looking good without complex layering, too.

 

Blogger s t a r m | s t said ... (12:44 PM) : 

her smile brought the entire outfit out. :)

 

Blogger pollymorph said ... (2:32 PM) : 

Brilliant picture. She looks like a Robert Crumb drawing with her shorts and boots and the great colours in her shirt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 PM) : 

What I love is that usually, boots + tights + shorts are rock'n'roll. She makes them down to earth. And I love how crisp her shirt is. If everything were in black, it would be such a different feel, but the "preppy" elements make it so fresh. Lovely smile too!

 

Blogger BeautyPopStar said ... (5:51 PM) : 

Wow, yeah, it looks great on her!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:30 AM) : 

love what she's wearing, but the smile makes the pic. beautiful

 

Blogger Fred said ... (2:41 AM) : 

Nice dress

 

Blogger lorrwill said ... (3:21 AM) : 

Sart, I remain in awe of your eye as a photographer.

Dang you are good.

Oh and this ensemble fully rocks - not only the outfit itself but the young ladies presence, as well.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:42 AM) : 

this is my favourite photo!! I just love what she's wearing and the way she presents it/herself...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:46 AM) : 

OK, this is slightly offtopic and naive question, but: how do you hold the camera while taking a picture like this one? Simply standing up, at your and subject's eyelevel, or lower? I really like the photos and one way of learning is imitating a master :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 AM) : 

Love this girl, from top to bottom. Seeing her brown tights- it's kind of enlightenment, considering last & this season black tights/ legging so-everywhere. Her look is an inspiration and I think I'm gonna steal it.

One more thing, I'm so jealous of her great & healthy legs.

 

Blogger momo said ... (9:59 AM) : 

I'm sure that if I saw here striding through town with dogs, I'd stop and smile, maybe wave, because she radiates health and joy. I love those boots!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:32 PM) : 

You see, Scott? Now, everyone's happy. THIS is exactly what we are looking for on your blog: Normal people in some clothes we could eventually have, only done with great aplomb, instead of lines of fashionistas who have access to crazy stuff none of us could dream of.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:55 PM) : 

Yes. Iove the utility and style of this ensemble. The mocs, the tights, the safari shorts, the belt, and the unexpected boquet on top work for me. This woman is comfortable in her own skin. She radiates the most important accessory for all stylistas - confidence.

 

Blogger secondvurss said ... (2:26 PM) : 

very nice!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:34 PM) : 

i like her because i'm wearing an outfit with shorts made from the same exact pattern and color her shirt is made from. xD

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:59 PM) : 

That's the perfect "yes attitude" !
Great !!!

Tucdual Marin

 

Blogger Zelmarific said ... (10:31 PM) : 

What beautiful legs she's got.

 

Blogger WendyB said ... (11:17 PM) : 

Very cute, and it's refreshing to see someone who is not a fashion editor/stylist/model.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 PM) : 

I agree with veronique... I bet plenty of readers will be going through their closet tonight to see if they have boots that can tone down a preppy outfit or can actually pull off shorts with tights (which I didn't want to like before this pic). Maybe it won't work for everyone, but it definitely qualifies as inspiration.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:05 AM) : 

Great boots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:37 PM) : 

REMINDS ME OF MY SAFARI DAYS

 

Blogger Lucky said ... (5:39 PM) : 

So true! She's beautiful! She should be a professional model

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (5:48 PM) : 

I love the safari shorts and plaid shirt combo. It looks boyish yet feminine. And she has a beautiful smile.

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (6:24 PM) : 

She's fantastic, and those boats slightly remind me to a brown verion of Phoenix's. Not THAT bad, after all...I'm not sure if I like the setting, the 'you are not me' think looks too obvious, as if the photo had been prepared in advance and I like to believe it wasn't.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:06 PM) : 

Actually...it's not the outfit that makes the picture. It's the way she wears it that makes it work. She's really confident and happy with herself!! That works with any outfit. :D

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting