This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...Fifth Ave., Manhattan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

On the Street...Fifth Ave., Manhattan


A little Zoran, a little Chloe

Comments on "On the Street...Fifth Ave., Manhattan"

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (8:42 AM) : 

I love this photo!
She looks amazing!

 

Blogger Kwana said ... (8:45 AM) : 

Her proportions are perfect and I just love her pink flats.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 AM) : 

you know, I don't like her outfit much...a little disjointed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 AM) : 

oooh when i grow up i wanna be just like her...

 

Blogger InStudio Blog said ... (8:54 AM) : 

. . . and a little Chanel ;- )

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:01 AM) : 

This is one of my favorite of your pictures. She exudes confidence and is so stylish. I agree with the person who wants to be like her. Me too.

 

Blogger Nor said ... (9:12 AM) : 

Oh, my lordy! This is exactly how I want to look when I'm her age. What an inspiration! What a motivation to live to be 'older'.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:14 AM) : 

This lady looks lovely - and so happy to be photographed by you.

 

Blogger Scott W said ... (9:17 AM) : 

I love the beauty and grace of the older women of NYC.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:25 AM) : 

My immediate impression was "she's not an American", something about her aura, her confidence and the way the picture captured both...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 AM) : 

She is lovely and has a certain joie de vivre.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:49 AM) : 

Oh MY Gosh I LOVE THIS! She is so incredibly gorgeous and NATURAL. And happy and comfortable in her skin. I want to be like her.

 

Blogger Susan B said ... (9:50 AM) : 

Truly inspiring. She's mixing classic (headband, pearls, Chanel flats) with funky (the clothes, the bracelets) and getting it all right. Sometimes as we get older we think we have to be so consistent with our look, when it really isn't so. She's age-appropriate and ageless all at the same time.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:56 AM) : 

i love the colours of her outfit but not the shoes. at least not with this ensemble.

 

Blogger Violet Harrington Pickles said ... (10:11 AM) : 

Do we know each other?
We ladies of the silver haired minx association
must stick together.
Fabulous look... comfort with style and panache!

 

Blogger An Aesthete's Lament said ... (10:14 AM) : 

... and a little bit CZ Guest ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 AM) : 

This look is divine! I love the pink Chanel shoes! And she does such a wonderful job mixing colors -- the pink, soft gray, teal and navy blue. And the pearl necklace! Perfectly elegant. This woman has class! Love it, love it, love it!

carrot

 

Blogger aviewaskew said ... (10:30 AM) : 

lovely, layered lady....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 AM) : 

And a lot of lovely!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 AM) : 

i love this, classy but with a twist!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:00 AM) : 

Gorgeous! Not so sure about the outfit itself but something about the way she's wearing it makes me want to be like her when I grow up and wear this very outfit. Good find

 

Blogger Jessica said ... (11:12 AM) : 

oooh, i LOVE this. i want to be just like this woman when i am older. she looks like she knows exactly who she is and is totally comfortable in her own skin. i think this is one of my favorite sartorialist shots ever!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

Sweater over jacket is unusual. I assumed it would not work because of the collar of the jacket, but here the collar of the jacket seems to disappear, allowing the outfit to work.
The pearls are classic.
Adding a jolt of color to the outfit is a great idea. The turquoise braclets do that, and they look great with the blue headband. But, I don't think that the pink shoes work here.
A lovely smile.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36 AM) : 

nice photo. i love it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 AM) : 

I disagree with whoever said she doesn't look American.. I think she looks every inch the American wearing expensive French clothes, and I don't mean that in a bad way. It's a very only-in-New-York look, and it works.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

love it! makes you want to grow old

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

You caught the face of Spring. The turquoise bangles are especially ticklish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

How chic...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 PM) : 

I'm from the American South, and you'll find this is the summer look of certain well-dressed affluent women there as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31 PM) : 

This woman is fantastic and inspiring. "Old woman style" at it's boldest. I hope I can be as cute when I'm her age.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:40 PM) : 

Oh my God! She is so goegeous! Ther is not one age to look fabulous. I'm gonna add my voice to the concert of women who want to look like her in a couple of years.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:19 PM) : 

So grey but so full of life. Simple and comfy. Just love those details. Pretty bold of her to combine turqoise with pink.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

OMG it's Genna Rowlands. Not.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:00 PM) : 

Beautiful!. I love when you photograph this age group. It's so inspiring. I want to be like this when I grow up. She's gorgeous.Great job sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:13 PM) : 

My girlfriend always tells me she likes dressing like a "donna di classe" and I always tell her I prefer the sexy look. After seeing this photo of clearly a donna di classe, I might change my mind.

she looks great

 

Blogger joshylola said ... (2:35 PM) : 

Grey and pink, linen and wool.. look pretty...and...¡ I love flats Chanel! jeje.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:19 PM) : 

finally! a classic sartorialist shot! i have been waiting for the return of a truly chic person on this website, she's to die for.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 PM) : 

She is very amazing!

 

Blogger MayKay said ... (4:17 PM) : 

Thanks, Sart!I'm a 50+ who used to dread getting older.Now there are many signs of a general shift in attitudes from ageism to something more accepting, and your photos are one of them.I especially enjoy how you look at, and choose, not-so-young people.Your models give an impression of being at ease with themselves, their age, fashion and our times.Thanks - but could we have some more of this, please...?

 

Blogger Seanrwatson2 said ... (4:40 PM) : 

Very stylish and fun while staying mature. Looks great. I would switch the bracelets to black.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:47 PM) : 

How cool is she? Very.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:55 PM) : 

Is that a skirt or divided pants?

 

Blogger k said ... (5:14 PM) : 

She's marvelous! Just adore her. And I'm loving her flats.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:19 PM) : 

i recognize her from my yoga studio. yoga = happy in your skin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:34 PM) : 

why can't this be my grandmother?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:45 PM) : 

Love the pearls and the rings........,slip her into anything and she'll still look fabulously wonderful...,you see it's the positive attitude she radiates!Smile and the world smiles with you!

 

Blogger tintin said ... (6:27 PM) : 

As they say in the south, "She looks ghau-ah-jus."

 

Blogger heidi said ... (7:31 PM) : 

SHe looks so somfortable & confident in herself... no hair dye, no visible face-lift... genuine smile. I should be this elegant at that age!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:34 PM) : 

i think the pepto bismol hue of the cambon flats totally kill the outfit, but everything else i love! would have preffered a classic black ballerina...

 

Blogger susand said ... (8:16 PM) : 

OOhh...!Zoran! She's lovely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:37 PM) : 

I think the shoes completely RUIN a look that would otherwise be great. She looks like she would be fun to talk to.

 

Blogger Willa said ... (10:19 PM) : 

She looks like the original Gossip Girl.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 PM) : 

I love every bit of her including the pink flats but the best accessory she had were the bangles and the pearl... except that the BOTTLED WATER ruined it for me... just a little though...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 PM) : 

So fresh...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 PM) : 

So fresh...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 PM) : 

I hope her life is as wonderful and complete as her smile conveys.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36 PM) : 

Are those coulottes? Lovely!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 PM) : 

Love the headband/pearl combination - so timeless. The turquoise bangles and pink Chanels are cute, but I personally wouldn't have paired those two colors. It seems a little too uncoordinated for my tastes. And I dislike the outfit proportions, especially the cropped sweater over a loose shirt.

However, as a whole, this woman's confidence makes the outfit and despite my nitpicking, she looks every bit the glamorous woman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:39 AM) : 

i hope to be as stylish as she is when i am her age. also, i love that she doesn't dye her hair!!!

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (2:08 AM) : 

Okay, so this is a lady who can pull this off. A million others couldn't, but there's something in her carriage that makes it all work.

 

Blogger Dianne said ... (3:25 AM) : 

Contrary to what an earlier blogger thought I think she exudes a very 'American' style-clean, fresh,pared down. She reminds me of C.Z.Guest the iconic American socialite who died a few years ago-she was one of Truman Capote's "swans".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 AM) : 

On the contrary Anon. 9:25 AM...this look is the epitome of American to me. European ladies of a similar age always look much more formal and heavily styled. This look is nonchalant, a little sporty, and undone.

The pearls are lovely and unexpected. I do wish, however, that both of her tops fit a lot better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:32 AM) : 

She exudes beauty, charachter & style. The outfit is just perfect and the shoes & bangles add enough of a twist to it all.

 

Blogger suzannemarques said ... (6:53 AM) : 

lovely woman. i adore her accessories. without them the simple linen and cotton would be a bit plain, but the flats, pearls, headband, and bracelet give it zip. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:38 AM) : 

Her clothes say to me she is an American. My mother would have no trouble compiling a look just like this at Talbot's or Olsen. The pearls look vintage. The turqoise is everywhere and anyone can find faux chanel flats in NY. The idea is to look expensive and she's fully in on it and that is why I do not think she is a European.
(first glance that looked like a double wrap hermes bracelet, that and her sweet Germanic face almost clouded my judgement)
-B.S.M.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:55 AM) : 

...and a little Chanel. Go Granny!

 

Blogger The Food Girls said ... (11:04 AM) : 

Love it! Love it! Love it! How perfectly adorable is she?

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (11:10 AM) : 

I agree --she's a Yankee!
I image she's the sort who doesn't demure from mulching in the spring, or separating tubers when it needs to be done. Most likely she got up, got dressed, discovered it was cold, went back in got a sweater and put it on! Her carriage took care of the rest.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 PM) : 

I love it when you post "women of a certain age". For more looks that leave the impression of being at ease with yourself, your age, fashion and our times, checkout www.asiaticakc.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:05 PM) : 

im pretty sure this woman works at Holt Renfrew in Toronto (the Canadian Bergdorf Goodman's) and I always see her when I'm looking for inspiration via Balenciaga, Dries Van Noten, Givenchy, etc..) she always looks amazing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:02 PM) : 

She is absolutely adorable. Love the pops of color in the flats and the bangles!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:42 PM) : 

She is absolutely beautiful!

 

Blogger CULTURE CREATORS said ... (4:19 PM) : 

What a gorgeous woman.

CC

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:58 PM) : 

Of course she looks american; this is what my mom and her friends wear every day. Though her posture and eye for color seem to take the whole look to another level.

And the poster who mentioned high society women in the South is spot on. Rich older women in Dallas, Houston, and other big cities dress like this. Lots of linen, flats and pearls.

 

Blogger Red Queen said ... (9:02 PM) : 

Hair, pearls, clothes are co-ordinated, with headband, bracelets and flats providing accents. Pink doesn't anchor the combination, which is why some of us find the whole a little unsatisfying. Dark pumps would work.

 

Blogger Val said ... (9:10 PM) : 

She looks adorable

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 PM) : 

She does work at Holt Renfrew in Toronto and she is hands down one of the most stylish women in Toronto! Eat your heart out NYC! :)

 

Blogger Fashion Tidbits said ... (1:28 AM) : 

i was getting some Chanel vibes...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:52 AM) : 

Culture Creators and many others before me said it best: what a gorgeous woman. And I adore what she's wearing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:09 AM) : 

good genes + 'class' + style + not taking one's self too seriously = this fantastic photo.

and love the fact that she threw in the hairband for good measure!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:43 AM) : 

To me it seems like she's wearing divided pants.. Btw, please, who is Zoran?!

 

Blogger Lizzie said ... (11:14 AM) : 

She is positively precious. I want to be her when I'm that age.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 PM) : 

She looks so happy to be alive that her quirky/chic outfit barely matters, the gorgeousness of this shot is in her face. Love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:48 PM) : 

This is exactly what I want to look liek when I'm 70.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

She is Canadian

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

you should see her daughter & granddaughter!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:12 PM) : 

ps-she does work at holt renfrew in toronto

 

Blogger matt williams said ... (6:36 PM) : 

Oh I just love her. Sat, I love it when you post mature stylish people. I can recall one such lady from about 2 years ago. I think that post got so many comments because she radiated so much postive energy and beauty.

 

Blogger bomb.ass.ting said ... (10:30 PM) : 

Beaaautiful lady, no question. I love this kind of casual 'society' style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:50 AM) : 

very c z guest

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:08 AM) : 

beyond fashion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do check asiaticakc.com where they use a 78 year old model to show true beauty with intelligence.

 

Blogger kaś said ... (6:01 PM) : 

yeah... if she had dark flats, I think this would be perfect. I think the pink ones are a little gaudy. but I still love this look and this woman and the charisma she exudes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:09 PM) : 

I know this woman. She isn't American she's Canadian. Works for Holt Renfrew in Toronto. She always looks fabulous!

 

Blogger mayim said ... (3:07 PM) : 

this site never ever ceases to inspire me. any time i feel myself falling into a style slump, i come here and become re-invigorated - my faith in my own authenticity and potential for creative freedom reborn. thanks sart!

 

Blogger quirkybeauty said ... (6:31 PM) : 

I work with her. She's not only super stylish to the extreme but also a very lovely person.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:36 PM) : 

i went in to Holt Renfrew in Toronto the other day and told her I saw her on The Sartorialist and she started blushing and was like "What?!?!" Too cute.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 PM) : 

She exudes the confidence of someone who's had a life well lived.

 

Blogger Saucy said ... (2:38 PM) : 

She is quite happy with who she is. I bet she has a few stories to tell.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 PM) : 

She's not American, she's Canadian :)
I actually shot a street shot of her today and she was telling me about this shot, so I thought I'd check it out! What a fabulous lady!
-A

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 PM) : 

Wow, i aspire to to as put together as this woman when i get older. she looks fabulous. love the sweater and the pearls.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:19 PM) : 

I love this look and the fact that an older woman is represented her. She's beautiful. As far as her pink shoes, I think they coordinate wonderfully with the off-white and gray of the outfit. Softer and less predictable than black, which would have been boring and predictable here.

 

Blogger bomb.ass.ting said ... (10:14 PM) : 

How come I don't see her when I'm in Holt Renfrew! I'm jealous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 AM) : 

Although there seems to be plenty of evidence above to suggest that this gorgeous woman is Canadian, I would like to throw-in the suggestion that she could be Australian. The braclets are by an Australian brand called Mimco, I know this because I own them myself. Prehaps she recieved them as a gift from Australia?.. I guess we will never know.
But this woman could certainly be Australian - the suntan, the relaxed slouched style and the sport edge which we all like to employ. Come to Australia Mr Sartorialist!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:27 PM) : 

i love this photo, i just want to go give her a hug! such a happy outfit, love the shoes!

.. and i must second the notion of annon 9:50am: COME TO AUSTRALIA!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 PM) : 

she is not australian nor american. she is canadian!!! we've got it going on north of the border

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:03 PM) : 

I completely agree that I am almost 99% positive this woman works at Holt Renfrew.
Next time I spot her perhaps I will ask if she was ever photographed for this blog. (I'll check in and let you all know! haha)

Absolutely adorable pic though.
She exudes confidence and just radiates this positive energy that makes me want to be just like when I am older.

 

Blogger Rich said ... (8:06 AM) : 

she looks fabulous and i adore older women who know how to dress with style and simplicity and comfort.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:38 AM) : 

There is one word to describe her flats: PERFECT.

She looks fabulous, and the smile complete the look.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting