This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Via Tortona, Milano

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

On the Street....Via Tortona, Milano


This is one of the few gentleman in Milan that I see consistently wearing vintage clothing. It's interesting that vintage is such a nonfactor here in Milan.

Comments on "On the Street....Via Tortona, Milano"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:26 AM) : 

oh my. his hand is doing what? :O

i like the clothes too tho, minus the cigarette

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:45 AM) : 

wow. Velcro trainers on the Sart?

Not a fan of this look, the shapes combine to make him look too stocky. Cool sunnies though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:54 AM) : 

I dont know. On one hand I want to say, yes, very cool. But on another tip I just wanna say: No way! Im 21, maybe its my young age, but if I was this man's age I would just wear straight colors every day. I guess checkered jackets and yellow shirts are not my thing. But then again, that's what's cool about style. You make it up as you go.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:06 AM) : 

Very typical of italian male !!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:11 AM) : 

I think he looks great. Fantastic use of colour and pattern. What's more if he wants to stop for lunch somewhere on a whim, say a picnic table for example, he has a ready made table cloth! Keep up the good work.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:03 AM) : 

I like the jacket but would combine it with better fitting navy pants and t-shirt. Also a white dress shirt would look nice.
Keep to that jacket, sir, it´s really cool!

 

Blogger Syed said ... (6:49 AM) : 

I love the fact that it looks totally thrown together, but it works so well. You'd think it wouldn't suit his age, but it just makes him look super cool!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:50 AM) : 

he looks like the kind of dad who really embrasses his kids

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:16 AM) : 

It all fits very well together. He knows where to take a risk. The shoes could just look cheap on anyone else, but he makes them "fashion". The yellow shirt works very well. It is colour-perfection. Guy has humour (and the cohones to show it).

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (7:52 AM) : 

I dislike this look. Vintage, in my book, are timeless garments that were originally crafted with high quality- and not necessarily expensive. I usually buy OLD LLBean from when everything was manufactured in the USA. Personally, when an item I wear is clearly vintage, everything else I pair with it is either basics or just normal, newer stuff. A vintage piece is something you have to frame with other garments to make it pop. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:04 AM) : 

Those sneakers bring me back to my childhood. The hand with the cigarette is ok, the other one, well, my grandmother wouldn't have approved. It is a very good picture, a bit scary maybe, very cheerful colours, but very serious face, he seems ready to fight. "I might be dressed like a clown but don't mess with me". I wonder if this is what he told you when you took the picture...

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (8:14 AM) : 

Love his individuality, but the velcro sneakers have to go!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 AM) : 

Pino is the last dandy around Milan. lunga vita a pino.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 AM) : 

The fact that this man is wearing velcro closing shoes negates everything else, no matter how stylish the other elements may be. I think when you start wearing shoes like that, it just says "I've given up." It's the footwear equivalent of supping on a can of Vienna sausages.

 

Blogger InStudio Blog said ... (8:35 AM) : 

I like this look from head to . . . ankle. The Velcro shoes kill it for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:38 AM) : 

The jacket is very 'Don Cherry'. I have mixed feelings on his age and wearing vintage, because then it just comes across as never updating your closet. However, those shoes are amazing... SIMPLE and AMAZING (if he was really going for vintage, he should've kris-crossed the straps for more of an effect).

 

Blogger a reference said ... (8:57 AM) : 

I love a man of a certain age! But please, I miss NYC! I still need to bump in to you.

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (9:10 AM) : 

he looks like an unsettling character from a David Lynch film.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM) : 

oh wow. my mom had this jacket in the 70s. the white stripe is kind of puckered. i had completely forgotten about it!

 

Blogger Orchid & Wasp said ... (9:26 AM) : 

Love the jacket!

It is interesting to me that you're not seeing alot of vintage on the streets of Milan... what do you think is happening with all of the old clothes? Are they just being trashed? Bought up by other European buyers at estate sales?

 

Blogger Lizzie said ... (10:05 AM) : 

velcro tennies!

 

Blogger meredith said ... (10:06 AM) : 

To kaibutsuone:
Phooey! He balanced it perfectly. If he had dark shoes, for example it would have been too much contrast, but with that lovely neutral bottom half, it sings. (I question his gesture though. Should a gentleman hold a hand in the waistband?)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 AM) : 

purfect colour combinations!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 AM) : 

Nice shirt, jacket, and pants. Cool and comfortable for a warm day.
I don't love the shoes. Canvas loafers would work much better.
And, as much as I'd love for Scott to take my photo, I wouldn't pose with my hand stuck in my pants.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 AM) : 

see... and he's the few men (of your photos) from milan that i actually i find interesting...

 

Blogger Bess said ... (10:52 AM) : 

like the look-- but what is up with that pose?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:32 AM) : 

So many cigarettes in Italy! For me, at least, it's detrimental.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

Very cool. Very tongue in cheek. The man is wearing white tennies and white pants, hah hah. The jacket is hilarious. What a sense of humor. Get your hands out of your pants though, man. You're not watching TV. And that cig is gonna give you emphysema. Love the glasses. Like a stern Italian Pipi the clown, this man is.

 

Blogger Miguel said ... (12:06 PM) : 

The shoes defenetly no! no!... The rest is very nice but casual shoes would have serve better that combo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 PM) : 

No one's gonna say it? I'm gonna say it. The hand in the pants completes the look! It's like a very more fashionable Al Bundy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 PM) : 

I think this look is appropriate for Italy but I don't know, even in the summer right now in Toronto he might not fit in... but that may have been his purpose, which is usually what fashion is about, to stand out of the crowd.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 PM) : 

I just hate white sneakers. Especially white velcro sneakers. I don't think they are appropriate for anyone who says they are interested in fashion!

 

Blogger Paolo Manaloto said ... (1:30 PM) : 

the colors play out great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:24 PM) : 

he has his hand down his pants. there is nothing gentlemanly about that, sorry.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:29 PM) : 

AL-esandro BUNDY alive and beaming in Milan. Where's the Lluomo mag ? HA ! Day in the life, colorful comfort, easy in the heat. The yellow softens the punch. Those look like older Dolce shades, the Fly. I'd like to see a little more suppression at the waist of jacket, a bit of trim with the leaner pant. He's a character, thats what counts. Grazie.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:19 PM) : 

Lovely positioninng--facing backward against the tide of time. But Scott, for God's sake, be careful about standing in the middle of traffic with Italian drivers tearing past!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:19 PM) : 

i want the feminine version of this outfit. maybe the blazer more fitted with a yellow dress? it could be the perfect 4th of july outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:29 PM) : 

No, I do not care for this look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:07 PM) : 

I love his shades. He looks handsome.

 

Blogger O!Lightning said ... (6:39 PM) : 

spot on, except for the velcro shoes, they just kill it for me.

 

Blogger Number21 said ... (6:54 PM) : 

Like those shades and sneakers. I don't like the fit of the jacket and pants. Plus it doesn't look age appropriate. Can you say Miami Vice?

 

Blogger CULTURE CREATORS said ... (7:35 PM) : 

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. i dunno.






xCC

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 PM) : 

I'm getting old, but I guess 70s and 80s can now be considered 'vintage.'

 

Blogger Dan Rousseau said ... (8:21 PM) : 

The jacket makes a huge statement, but to me, the glasses and hair make the look. I don't want to call it "Doc" hair, but it is a bit back to the future.

The glasses are outstanding.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:29 PM) : 

really?

 

Blogger tanya said ... (9:33 PM) : 

I remember seeing that checkered pattern on a dress shirt from Topman. I really wanted to buy it but it was too big for me :C

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 PM) : 

love this look...
especially the super sport of the shoes mixed with the casual look...
great use of primary colors...
i think dark pants or shoes would definitely turn the impact of this look down drastically.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:27 PM) : 

What's wrong with velcro shoes? I applaud him for wearing them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 PM) : 

"Should a gentleman hold a hand in the waistband?)"

or

"Plus it doesn't look age appropriate"

break up the tabus!

I do not agree with these sentences..

I guess the pose its very relax, and what the age has nothing to do.. it�s the spirit folks, the spirit!

Open your eyes and minds

 

Blogger PhilM said ... (11:45 PM) : 

oh god, no! Sart, tell me you're trying to be ironic here, please. he looks like a used car salesman, or worse, a Las Vegas tourist from the American midwest.

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (11:58 PM) : 

My, my, my. My Uncle Bill in Tucson had a jacket just like this. Oh, he was swell. Quite a dandy, and a charmer. He was an ironworker and built most of the skyscrapers in that city.

 

Blogger b. cheng said ... (2:36 AM) : 

With the exception of the coat, he could pass as Paulie Walnuts, fuggedaboutit...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 AM) : 

what a very oddly proportioned fellow... even right down to the hairstyle...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:54 AM) : 

he has his hand in his pants!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:12 AM) : 

I have a neighbour that is also seeing consistently wearing vintage clothing.
20 years ago we won the lottery and he bought a new car, a Bang&Olufsen HI-FI,... and a complete wardrobe - winter, summer, beach, cerimony, bla, bla.
Then we lost all his money gambling. We sold the car, the stereo and, till today, we weares the clothes. Luckly for him, we didn't get weight.
I'm happy to say that we doesn´t uses velcro and we uses the pockets.
The End
Cristina

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:00 AM) : 

you can wear white velcro shoes if you keep em nice clean.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:08 AM) : 

Is he Giuseppe "the clown"?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:28 AM) : 

Oh come on, people, all of these comments about him having his hand in his pants... what's wrong with you? Why so uptight? It's not like he's touching himself, he's just posing, don't be so prude!!!
I think he looks great. I can imagine him being a really strong character and a gentleman.
Good picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:43 AM) : 

haahaha, i actually really like this look -- one of my favorites these past couple of weeks. the guy looks quite fun to hang out with. i don't understand why people dislike his shoes that much... it's so cool to have a sense of humor about what you wear

ps: yeah, he might be a bit too old for all-vintage. but i guess it all comes down to the kind of person he is after all

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:24 AM) : 

I want that jacket!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:58 PM) : 

Jack Nicholson's Italian counterpart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:27 PM) : 

i love the look! and the guy looks great :)
E.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:09 PM) : 

Honestly just a note (I don't smoke) if you've ever been to Italy there a bunch of people smoking its not about glorifying smoking its about taking pictures of people as they are which has always been the blog's stated aim so please get off your high horses

 

Blogger comtedamour said ... (6:22 PM) : 

um...sorry, but he looks like gianni belushi...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:48 PM) : 

is he a clown ?

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting