This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...American Chic in Milan & Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, July 28, 2008

On the Street...American Chic in Milan & Paris



Comments on "On the Street...American Chic in Milan & Paris"

 

Blogger porter hovey said ... (8:28 AM) : 

Just can't get enough of the polka dots! Just the perfect addition for summer. And the always photograph sooo well!!

 

Blogger miss sophie said ... (8:47 AM) : 

not terribly flattering photos of bonnie in the last two, but i love the pop of the red belt against her dress in the first one. gorgeous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:49 AM) : 

Oh, she really really looks great. I love the fact that she's not a stick figure, but these are clothes that no doubt models would be wearing, and she looks just as amazing in them. This is the kind of style and self confidence I really admire.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 AM) : 

She looks great! I love that tropical patterned skirt.

 

Blogger Sean Santiago said ... (8:56 AM) : 

Ooo, is that Bonnie Morrison? She's wonderful, why does she work at Men's Vogue? I love that her bag isn't some ridiculously oversized thing. The "tucked-under-the-arm" look is a nice new alternative to the "hanging-from-the-crook-of-the-elbow" look.

 

Blogger so said ... (9:17 AM) : 

i'm really drawn to look #3.

i like the unexpected mix of pieces---how the button-down doesn't look so preppy with the necklaces and that great skirt---and, the casualness of her ponytail and the over-the-shoulder cardigan.

love it.

 

Blogger j'taimee said ... (9:17 AM) : 

I love how fluid she appears - another one working, not being worked by the fashion.

 

Blogger "Eddie in the corner" said ... (9:32 AM) : 

Top photo: This is what life should look like!
Thank you Scott.
(and O'Keefe's cloud painting never looked better than on the lady's dress)

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (9:35 AM) : 

She looks great, especially in the third photo with the oxford shirt worn casually with the patterned skirt. Nice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 AM) : 

bonnie is doing PR for MV. and she looks great here! having worked at MV i have to say, she's super nice, funny, down to earth and friendly. and slightly crazy (she talks to herself!) but she's really sweet. glad to see her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 AM) : 

the lady has got style...
and blue loves her!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 AM) : 

I like the three different looks. The blue spotted dress is one I wish I could find for myself in some version. Why are good dresses so hard to find ?!? When I see movies from the 50's I'd kill to find those dresses today. They make it easy to get dressed,are ladylike, and cover the bits that need to be covered (like upper arms) when you get to a "certain age".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 AM) : 

I LOVE HER STYLE! simple yet elegant. how old is she? she looks as if she could be 15, 18 or 30. that skirt, that skirt, that skirt! and no make-up! could she be any more beautiful.

 

Blogger JO said ... (10:47 AM) : 

Oh I love that bottom shot! AND her look. Gorgeous skirt!

 

Blogger Coryn said ... (10:51 AM) : 

I am in love with the second picture! I have actually been trying to create a look like that recently! What a great ensemble!

 

Blogger Mamacita Chilena said ... (10:56 AM) : 

I am always all the more impressed when you put up multiple pics of one person and they get is SO right every single time.

 

Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said ... (11:08 AM) : 

I love her style.

I too have a hard time finding dresses that fit. I'm only 5'2 but very curvy. Actually I have a hard finding clothes that don't make look like top heavy munchkin. :(

I really like her skirt in the third photo. Interesting combo with the striped shirt.

 

Blogger The Pilgrim said ... (11:37 AM) : 

I just love her look in the last picture, the blue shirt with the printed skirt and perfect accesories... so easy and chic!

 

Blogger andrewS said ... (11:43 AM) : 

I just love number 2, she looks great in those jeans, they fit her perfect. Also, the dress in the first is also very lovely.

 

Blogger plate snapper said ... (12:06 PM) : 

in each one of these photos she looks chic and effortless - which is a twosome that we all should shoot for in day to day dressing.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (12:07 PM) : 

Wow. She's so pretty. Without knowing her I can see that aside from her good looks, she's intelligent and witty too. She exudes it. And look at the smile - I want her to be my sister.

I love the polka-dot dress on her. It's so ladylike and fresh and yes, very American Chic. It's not my favorite look but on her it really works. I'm thinking that one of the good fortunes of being a black (or Latin) person, aside from the #1 gift - black not cracking, is that you can wear very conservative clothes and just by virtue of your race you won't look conservative.... Yes there are plenty of black folks where this doesn't apply (Condoleezza Rice) but if you have good hair (i.e. - a good style, not "good hair" in the old-school way - black folks you know what I mean) and face it's true.

She looks good in the second photo wearing a perfectly functional and comfortable ensemble. If I had to change anything, I'd give her a different colored bag but that is about as nit picky as it gets 'cause she's pretty damn perfect.

The last photo is delicious.... God, I love this look on her (and myself). It's pulled-together, perfectly loose and easy and feminine. I'm not a fan of ankle straps on anyone less than a mile tall but they don't distract from the excellence on display here.

 

Blogger Cathy Phillips said ... (12:11 PM) : 

I love that she is so classic and fresh. I've been thinking a lot about doing the classic, preppy, all-American (Ralph Lauren-ish, if you will) look for the fall but updated with modern twists. She is totally pulling off that idea. Love it.

-Cathy
cathyphillipsfashion.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 PM) : 

The blue and white dress is amazing! More women should dress like that. Really classy and a great colour aginst her skin. Of course smiling makes a huge difference. The second shot is a great casual look, although not smiling, she must have been caught at an odd moment.

The thrid picture is a great way to show mixing of different pieces. All shades of blue really flatter this woman!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 PM) : 

ahhh love her i used to see her in the elevators when she worked at kcd in awe every day!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 PM) : 

Beautiful. And beautiful legs to match.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 PM) : 

She looks pretty, but I find her style kind of ho-hum. Maybe these looks stand out in Milan and Paris, but they're so chock-a-block on American streets that I can't get very excited about them. Too Old-Navy/Gap for me.

 

Blogger amyonymous said ... (12:56 PM) : 

when i glanced at the first picture, i thought this was Michelle Obama. then i looked, and realized it wasn't. i love this woman and all three of her looks. AND I wish Michelle Obama could dress like this and we could have a first lady that wasn't all stiff and formal!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:13 PM) : 

Great style. So ladylike and understated.

Although, her facial expressions in the last two are unfortunate and not too flattering.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM) : 

The skirt is Proenza Schouler! She looks great and is so funny and cool...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM) : 

I think Steven Watson is American Chic...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 PM) : 

Er, Stephen Watson!

 

Blogger anon said ... (1:57 PM) : 

I always see the subjects of these photos carrying little envelope looking things, what in the world are they??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:09 PM) : 

She looks lovely, vibrant and fresh. I like all her looks.

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (2:12 PM) : 

Bottom pic, with the tropical skirt, is fantastic. I love how the necklaces and the skirt play against the jacket, skirt and watch, while the shoes are timeless and classy. The blue dress seems a little frumpy with the length and the high waist, however.

 

Blogger Tea Lady said ... (2:13 PM) : 

This lady has a beautiful smile! Fantastic body! And I love that blue dress. How ladylike and feminine.

 

Blogger dwashington314@gmail.com said ... (2:24 PM) : 

Thank you for including a powerful and stylish woman of color. I hope it inspires all girls considering the fashion biz to pursue their goals!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:25 PM) : 

Love the second look. I like the wide legged jeans a lot but I wonder how would that look work with a pair of skinnies...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 PM) : 

Thank God. So nice to see some images of classy black women. None of that American video ho nonsense.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:22 PM) : 

I second that,anon 2:49 pm.
Anywho I love all three of her looks.
The bag tucked under the arm look is very fresh.
:-)

http://sharifaknows.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:22 PM) : 

Bonnie is beautiful and classic! Thanks Sart, this made my day.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (4:41 PM) : 

She has such a great style! Love the second look!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:08 PM) : 

The only problem I have with her is her choice of pockets in the 2nd picture. I never understood that kind of cargo pant-ish pocket that kind of sticks out on your thighs. Other than that I adore her style and find it to be the truest form of American patriotism, especially in an industry where everything has to be "Parisian chic" or "sensual Italian".

-AM

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:15 PM) : 

oh, i absolutely love her! who is she and will she be my bff?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:15 PM) : 

I love the 2nd picture...so chic. Does anyone know where I can purchase the vest?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:21 PM) : 

I LOVE those jeans in the second photo. Any one know who they are made by?

 

Blogger matt williams said ... (8:07 PM) : 

I love Bonnie's looks. She is very stylish in these photos. I've seen her in varous fashion mags, chiling at a number of parties but have never seen pic of hear on a day to day bases.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:44 PM) : 

I hardly ever see the photos on this blog and think "I must have that shirt/skirt/shoe!" Maybe it's being stuck in Texas; it's just hard to imagine how I would bring these looks into my wardrobe.

But the last picture? I must have that skirt. And seeing her wear it, I think I can understand how I'd put together a lot of similar looks.

Geeenius.


-Sarita

 

Blogger Diana said ... (3:24 AM) : 

It is great that you could get three different styles of the same lady.
Nowadays it is very hard to get inspiration (if you don´t like pastel, floral print dresses and gladiator sandals), but these 3 pics are great.
Thanks for the ideas.

 

Blogger George A. said ... (4:09 AM) : 

Ahhh, I love Bonnie Morrison. She does a great job at representing American sportswear and while the word is overused - yes - it is quite "effortlessly" done.

 

Blogger andrewS said ... (1:45 PM) : 

La Donna on the left in the background of the first photo also looks pretty good in those sandals, don't know the appropiate name, and the white linen dress, also don't kno the appropiate name for that. But she looks good also.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

she kills it, plain and simple
day in day out
hands down
3 cheers for the MV staff

 

Blogger Am said ... (3:51 PM) : 

As a black student with aspirations for the fashion industry it's amazing to see Bonnie rock these stylish, elegant looks as great as your every day Parisian. It gives me hope!

 

Blogger marie said ... (5:30 PM) : 

Hmm... ever wonder what happens when you cross a manly Oxford shirt with a feminine patterned skirt? Perfection, obviously. I wonder, do people try hard to look like they didn't even try to achieve perfection or does it just come naturally? I am so jealous of this talent. When I don't try to look good, I get just that exact result. Wish I had it, she has it! Good eye for catching this gem of a look.

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (8:32 PM) : 

i love that blue summer dress - a breath of fresh air!! she's lovely!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

I love how this woman can pull off so many different looks. She is very versatile. The first blue spotted dress is so darling and retro in a good way. I also love the casual but chic striped long-sleeve shirt matched with the vest.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:15 PM) : 

I'm a magazine junkie. I would love to see more of her and what she has to stay. I feel like she is living my dream.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

I just love her versatility. It's not an easy thing to sport such contrasting looks, but she pulls it off with ease! Beautiful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:14 AM) : 

She is beautiful!!!!!!!!

 

Blogger pringleofbelgium said ... (8:08 AM) : 

On point in every shot - simply stellar! Lil' Kim needs to take notes from Bonnie.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 PM) : 

She has style - d

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 AM) : 

work miss bonnie!
x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:34 PM) : 

She has a bit of Michelle Obama to her.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting