This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...Casual DB, Florence

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, July 27, 2008

On the Street...Casual DB, Florence


I always think of DB's as the most formal of jackets - very buttoned-up.

here I love the idea of a casual cotton DB worn in a very easy way.

Comments on "On the Street...Casual DB, Florence"

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (10:22 AM) : 

i like this idea too. i've seen very similar cotton DB english workwear jackets from the 30s and 40s.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 AM) : 

I like the drama of his lappels. I also like how his blue watch strap matches his blazer! Neat pockets too. A very cool understated look!

His shaved head adds a cool vibe. I like it!

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (11:15 AM) : 

It's nice to take a formal style and liberate it for everyday use.This is the way in which I can most easily imagine myself in a db. Have anything in olive? Which reminds me, whatever happened to olive? It's my best color and I haven't been able to find anything in it in years. It's time for it to come back.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 AM) : 

The jacket looks baggy to me, maybe it's because his hands are in his pockets and it pulls it away from his body. The lapels are huge and I'm not a big fan of his flying collars, but I guess it's a look. The watch is great, though.

Big lapels coming back?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

Lovely color, but it looks a tad too wide and you could land a plane on those lapels. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:18 PM) : 

His looks works because of his comfortable confidence. He looks like a spectator that enjoys being spectated...a man of cool conversation. A great way to resuscitate an old style if you ask me...HB

 

Blogger Kelly said ... (2:36 PM) : 

The color is incredible, and I love how it's such a unique, casual take on a formal look. I think the oversize lapels are quite cool, actually.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:40 PM) : 

Sart, who is his tailor? You have posted a few pictures of this man and he always seems to have very fitted/unique jackets/suits.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:55 PM) : 

Love the color, love the watch, love those awesome glasses!

Looks comfy too.

 

Blogger Maggie May said ... (3:01 PM) : 

he looks like Ben Kingsley!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:30 PM) : 

I like this blue!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:46 PM) : 

It's amazing... All those heads looking like perfect roman sculptures nowadays. Unbelieveble!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:15 PM) : 

Why are you saying db jackets are out of style then you post this pic? Very confusing...

For guys this would translate into always or never wear double-breasted jackets, or peak lapels with a low gorge or something like that.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (5:41 PM) : 

for anon 5:15
i think you misunderstood what i was saying

 

Blogger Gai said ... (6:06 PM) : 

this guy is always the best.
are you going to reveal his identity already? you posted his pictures maybe 5 times already..

BTw I am trying to find sunglasses like his. any tip?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:11 PM) : 

no, i read exactly what it says...

For guys this would translate into always or never wear double-breasted jackets, or peak lapels with a low gorge or something like that.

please clarify..i don't think i'm the only one!

 

Blogger SpanishGent said ... (6:15 PM) : 

Great to know that there are still men who do not think of style as a "fashion" thing. Yes, this jacket style is not what fashion dictates at the moment as it does not have that "I outgrew my jacket on my way from my flat to the office" look, but it is certainly a beautiful jacket and probably from the 80's. My congratulations to this gentleman who understands that true classy style sets trends, not follows them!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:26 PM) : 

for Anon 6:11

that was written as an example of choosing a "personal silhouette"

that a man might choose to always wear a DB or never wear a DB

it was an example not specific advice

 

Blogger leather girl said ... (7:12 PM) : 

I love how the details make all the difference here. If these buttons were any other color it would not have the same striking effect, I love this almost nautical effect the white has against the blue. And that pocket on his upper left chest, correct me if I am wrong but looks like it was created for a cell phone. I love the wide lapels. Especially since it can hide the cell if it were in there.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (7:26 PM) : 

I like the color and the fabric and I love the wide lapels. I'm not crazy about the cut. To me it looks like a woman's jacket (an older woman) - esp. where the shoulders meet the arms. It's a bit puffy there. I also think the buttons are too wide apart and that the jacket in general should be a bit more fitted without robbing it of it's casualness.

On the other hand, perhaps it's his pose. If his hands weren't in the pockets the jacket might look better.

I will say that this guy (if it's the same guy I think it is) always has his own style thing going on and that really goes a long way in my book. Whether or not I like every piece he wears is irrelevant (certainly to him but also to me) because he's always worth talking about.

I love the idea of a casual DB. I have a few myself. My favorite one is in dark denim and is very versatile. I wear it over my workout clothes or a more tailored pair of slacks. But it is cut close to the body and has more of an early 70's vibe than this one.

Lastly, DBs, IMO, tend not to be flattering on larger or wider frames. If you're not slim you might wanna get a second opinion on sporting one. The width of the lapel and the horizontal distance of the buttons is very important. It can make you look wider.

 

Blogger John Danner said ... (7:34 PM) : 

If the lapels were smaller I would love this.

 

Blogger V said ... (7:55 PM) : 

looks really smart. him being bald really enhances the look as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:38 PM) : 

I wish the jacket was a bit more fitted through the torso. Here, it looks like some sort of crazy lab coat. Otherwise, great. I love the mammoth lapels and the white buttons.

Also, I wish his watchband was some color other than blue. It might be used, like a pocket handkerchief, to add a pop of color. What if it was red or yellow?

Maybe he's wearing red Converse?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:44 PM) : 

Folks,
A classic DB would always have
substantial lapels. It's how the
whole thing balances out. They are not oversized. It's not
new. It's the way it's always been.
That's why it is what it is.

 

Blogger Cathy Phillips said ... (9:04 PM) : 

I think he looks great. I love clothes that meet in the middle of casual and formal - they create a look that is just right.

-Cathy
cathyphillipsfashion.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Couture Carrie said ... (9:11 PM) : 

I love his style. He may be the first person to ever cut open and use the front pockets of a sport coat!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:48 AM) : 

Too contrived, results are so bland, especially when coming right after the ultra-cool gentleman shown right below. Appreciate the effort though...

BTW Sart, I do find it interesting that you would perceive DB as the most formal of jackets, since you are someone who has had access to the fashion world, and must have at least seen DB jackets shown and worn in the most casual of styles by at least a few designers, if not by the style-makers that you inevitably come across :-)

--PLO

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 AM) : 

Nice idea... Not for my personal taste, but done tastefully nonetheless.

Love the sleeve length, and patch pockets. Not such a fan of the wide lapels (and don't much like peak lapels at all, but hey it goes with the DB territory I suppose).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:29 AM) : 

IT's really nice looking, but as I live in Hawaii, it's way to warm for something like that, very envious

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:58 AM) : 

i love the idea and i love the colour, but those lapels coming right up to the shoulder like that - not so keen. Mind you with Mugler and Montana making a comeback he's right on trend...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:00 AM) : 

Maybe I am too much of a traditionalist but this has got little to do with DB: the slanted breast pocket, the redundant top button(hole), the patch pockets...and yes, the lapels almost peaking over the shoulders are also over the top.

But I admit, he wears it in a very cavelier manner.

 

Blogger Observer said ... (6:10 AM) : 

Interesting, specially because it looks so timeless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:40 AM) : 

I'm not sure I can follow along with you here. I really don't like the jacket with tighfitting slim pants, at least the way its worn here. It looks to me as if the jacket is actually too small, the pockets awkward for hands, the sleeves too short, even if it is loose in the waist. Give me a pair of loose linen pants with it and I might like it, but not here. Or maybe I'd like it larger with slim pants but preferably on a woman then. Also, the color combo is dull.

 

Blogger Karmander said ... (9:36 AM) : 

The fabric of that jacket is to die for. Perfectly aged and worn. I would LOVE to have the jacket with a few feminine alterations. Pull it in at the shoulders and switch the pockets to side pockets. And of course I'd have to have the glasses. He looks kind of like a James Bond villain. I'd like it with linen pants too, but I like the slim cut jeans as well. 6 of one, in my opinion.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (9:38 AM) : 

Love that bright blue croc watch band!

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (8:16 AM) : 

I too like the idea of this being casual. great shot.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:01 PM) : 

The work wear style pockets on this jacket are out of place, really breaks up the elegant line that's needed.
This jacket should not be worn with jeans, the jacket
color really poses a problem. The jacket is best suited
with a pair of chino's. the shirt is a bit messy as well.
Cut his legs off and he could bounce around.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting