This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Left Bank, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, August 28, 2008

On the Street.....Left Bank, Paris

Comments on "On the Street.....Left Bank, Paris"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:38 AM) : 

jcrew 96

 

Blogger Karina said ... (10:56 AM) : 

She is soooooooooo casual, but she's well-put-together. Comfy and casual without being sloppy - she does it nicely and you shot it well, of course. Thanks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 AM) : 

Someone else who shows us she knows herself and her body and how to dress it. The flip-flops are the piece de resistance. I admire her relaxed confidence.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:13 AM) : 

The colors work so welltogether.It's very casual but it's chic.She pulls it off well.

http://sharifaknows.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Cate O'Malley said ... (11:25 AM) : 

Casual and confident. I love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

Who would have thought a pair of elastic-waist pants and flip flops could look so good?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:58 AM) : 

Le quai des bouquinistes... fantastic area of the town, really in adequation with the style of this woman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:05 PM) : 

Dries head to toe.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:23 PM) : 

what? no! those flip flops are not okay!

i deeply love everything about this until the flip flops. i get that it's totally pared-down and Dries and fabulous. i get it. but you get to the flips, and they just feel like a cop-out. cred went out the window when i espied them.

too bad :( and i'm sure that i'll get disagreed with from here to breakfast, but i stand by my opinion. sorry, friends.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 PM) : 

Great color combo. Her face reminds me somewhat of JLo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 PM) : 

As comfy as jeans and a t-shirt, but sooo much better looking.

 

Blogger G2 said ... (12:30 PM) : 

Love the rich colors, her sleek ponytail and her posture.

Love the elastic waist pants on her.

This young woman's strong presence
makes her intriguing and her clothing choice looks deliberate and casual.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:40 PM) : 

gorgeous, more commenting on her face and the way she carries herself. reminds me of a modern day frida

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (1:03 PM) : 

Beautiful flowing, relaxed look. Drawstring pants can be a killer, but she pulls them off well by pairing them with other simple items. For the flip flops, she probably could have pulled it off with a better constructed sandal, maybe leather. My main beef with the ones she has on is that they are green right against a different green from the pants. I like the look overall- I never can look this relaxed! Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Blogger Jana FitzGerald said ... (1:07 PM) : 

I like this...I think linen is incredibly chic. I don't think people would be saying she's soooo casual if the material of the fabric was different, perhaps if she was wearing crepe de chine trousers. What I think is important here is the silhouette. Of course it's all about context, but what is appealing about this look is the cut of her clothing and the way she carries herself.

 

Blogger b said ... (2:20 PM) : 

Blue and green should never be seen unless they're in the washing machine. Bleck!

Ab

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:51 PM) : 

i love the grey in her hair

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:14 PM) : 

I love it! The simplicty of it all. She's done, but not too done. Totally natural. Totally confident. This is an ideal look for me. The only thing I'd change is the flip flops but otherwise she pretty much nails it. Nice choice of colours!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:22 PM) : 

how do you do it sart? do you boldly go up to the person and say, "i think you look great, can i take a picture of you?" how much time does it usually take for you to set up a shot (if there's any setting up done at all)?

thanks!

 

Blogger missmaia said ... (4:42 PM) : 

I love all the different colors. I have been trying to get away from being too "matchy matchy" myself and find this look totally inspiring.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (4:56 PM) : 

Love her shirt!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 PM) : 

I love the contrast of colors between the olive green and the navy blue. And the trousers are just perfect. This woman has a certain elegance to her that I love.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 PM) : 

I would have never thought of pairing this shade of blue with olive. My new mission - to find a shirt like that in either colour. I've always adored crisp linen in summer, but it only always seems to come in neutrals or black.

I wish you would frequent Paris as often as you do Stockholm. Really I don't understand why it's style central atm...it's beyond me.

 

Blogger Teena Vallerine said ... (5:26 PM) : 

When I was about 6 we had a family friend who's hair had turned silver almost overnight when she was in her 20's. She was so beautiful, I always dreamed of having silver hair - until my late 20's when I realised it's not so easy to carry off and still look young and healthy! This lady reminds me of that family friend. t.x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:51 PM) : 

why is it always on the left bank?!?

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (9:05 PM) : 

She manages to pull of an elasticized waist and even the loathsome flip flop (which I despise with a passion unless you're at the beach or a spa). You know, on the right person at the right time, etc.... She is certainly the right person.

I think she's got some gray hair happening too. I love that. With a young, pretty face and fit body like hers gray hair works. It looks like a style choice as opposed to just not knowing what to do or not caring.

I love the shirt, her collar bones, her relaxed elegance. I would definitely rock this look -- but with different shoes - perhaps even leather flip flops in the Born, Soft, Clarks vein; or espadrilles or even huaraches.

Lastly, and most importantly --- Please, please, please VOTE!.... God, I so wanted to bombard you with my own liberal opinions.... but I have the grace to realize this is not the arena.

Peace on earth and good style to all - that's all I can say.

 

Blogger Celia said ... (9:20 PM) : 

Everything about this should be so wrong and sloppy, and I can't figure out why it isn't really...but it's just great.

 

Blogger Tsar Kasim said ... (9:39 PM) : 

Hey, Scott...nice blog you've got here; I've been visiting for about one week.

As for the photo itself...whenever I mix and match, blue and green is always one of my "go-to" combos. I think it works here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:56 PM) : 

I don't quiet agree with those two colors togheter, I looove that shirt though.. She might look for another hair color to go better with her young look don't you think?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:30 PM) : 

beautiful colors.

 

Blogger anonymous said ... (1:53 AM) : 

Love it! The colors, the casualness... I think my favorite part is how she has the sleeves rolled up on the shirt. Very assured.

 

Blogger ellastica said ... (2:57 AM) : 

sublime

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (3:22 AM) : 

wow is that a beautiful mane of grey/gray hair? lovely!!

 

Blogger Brightlightwarriornika said ... (4:01 AM) : 

She looks youthful and cool and the colors are beautiful!

 

Blogger La Clocharde said ... (5:07 AM) : 

She's so cool. And elegant in an effortless way.
And I never thought that green and that blue could match so well.

The only "but": the flipflops. They don't look good here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:39 AM) : 

Yes, yes, the old blue-and-green question! Where does that actually come from? Blue and green should never be seen etc. Or as you say in German: Gruen und blau schmueckt die Sau. I think those two colours go so well together, it would be a sin not to combine them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:48 AM) : 

Bonjour
Je passerai bientôt à la boutique Dries.... et oui Olga a l'oeil....
Bonne journée... Moi je ne suis pas fan des tongs... je préfère les ménudier (lol)Olga

 

Blogger Observer said ... (6:22 AM) : 

Oh Sart,

Another fantastic example to show how 90% of style and glamour is in the attitude and the beauty of the person and not in the clothes.

The same outfit in somebody else would certainly look quite dull and cheap (I had a lovely cleaning lady in the early nineties who used exactly the same outfit... and I do not think you would have posted her picture)!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:43 AM) : 

great look. does anybody here know who makes barack obama's suits and shirts?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:27 AM) : 

isn't that this women the director of the Dries boutique in Paris quai de Seine? Explain the colors.
CAroline

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Very "The Passenger" era Maria Schneider. Hot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 AM) : 

The flip-flops throw off the look because they're the wrong height and the pants can't show off the full range of their drape. She could do something with a similar casual punch but which had a little bit of a heel. Espadrilles? Otherwise, she does pull this off well, due largely to her quiet confidence.

 

Blogger Jazzbuff630 said ... (10:31 AM) : 

Her features/coloring are striking.
I would definitrly wink at her if we were passing each other on the street...and at the risk of sounding like I have a fetish, nice
toes!

I'm still trying to figure out why/if the blue and green work.

 

Blogger meredith said ... (11:08 AM) : 

I'm really inspired by this woman; she looks healthy and confident and I love the simplicity of her clothes. The color choice carries the look.
Also, I'd like to wear simple long hair, even after it's gray, if I have the nerve to!

 

Blogger Liz said ... (1:41 PM) : 

i hope i look this well put together in another 15 years. gorgeous! not to mention not many women can pull off long grey hair. it makes her look so young!!

 

Blogger Liz said ... (1:43 PM) : 

oh, and i think blue and green are perfect, making one think of earth and sky. two of the most natural colors ever.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:51 PM) : 

Please, what is wrong with flipflops with a casual outfit?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:50 PM) : 

elegant. very elegant. The grey hair is beautiful too. I once met a french beautiful woman that had the hole hair grey, it was amazing, so charming.

 

Blogger swilek said ... (10:20 PM) : 

i love the left bank but can't say i'm fond of what this woman is wearing....i'm not sure why because i am open to all sorts of creative fashion, but not a fan of this outfit

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 PM) : 

She definitely doesn't need to colour her hair in order to look better nor younger. The fact that she embraces the natural beauty of its colour shows how much great confidence she holds. Also, why shouldn't blue and green go together? We see those two colors together in great unison and I doubt any living, breathing person thinks that the green grass and blue sky look horrible together. The colours look earthy and simple--which is great for this look. I think the problem with the shoes isn't that they're flip-flops, rather that their green is different from the green of the pants, and the two colours clash. All in all, this woman is gorgeous and clearly knows how to present herself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 AM) : 

The colours, oh the colours!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:37 AM) : 

Love the two greens!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:04 PM) : 

I love it. I love everything. It's absolutely perfect. Dries is perfect. She looks so simple and clean, like you could almost smell the soap after she stepped out of the shower. The colors work incredibly well together, bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:05 AM) : 

I'll never be a fan of the grey hair. the only exception is the model Carmen.

 

Blogger siakohneh said ... (8:42 PM) : 

i love this! i can actually see myself wearing something like it. ;-)

 

Blogger Wolf189 Photography said ... (9:26 PM) : 

She has the right look for the style.
Shirt is great....color and style.
Style of pants is great as well...it's color? not so much.
And shoes: Colors and style both are wrong.

 

Blogger Настя said ... (10:10 AM) : 

I'm still not used to that pair of flipflops even though it's a staple in the country I'm currently staying at (Singapore)...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 AM) : 

Tahiti´s flower she is! Hurray for the grey hairs and the flip flops.
She doesn´t need our opinions to live and look gorgeous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:55 PM) : 

I never would have thought I liked any outfit featuring drawstring pants, but this whole outfit looks great on her. She is a beautiful woman and looks perfectly at home in it. Lovely color combination. I'm not even bothered by the flip flops! Although they would have looked better with the pants if they were the same shade of green or maybe just all black.

 

Blogger FoundVintageStyle said ... (10:41 PM) : 

the blue and green work because they are the same intensity. she has a long neck which shows off the casual shirt well.i have to agree the flip flops kill the line here. a great pair of sneakers would work, carrying the weight of the look right to the bottom.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:00 AM) : 

Looks like the pants they were selling in all of the markets in Peru. The solids were hard to find and I bet she paid a boat load more than the $6 US these were selling for.

 

Blogger B. FLY AND THE CITY said ... (5:45 PM) : 

REMINDS ME OF 5TH AVE, NEAR THE MET.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 AM) : 

Wrong shade of green si je puis me permettre.
Hermestique

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:47 PM) : 

I don't like those flipflops at all, but other than that, our wardrobes are eerily similar. Love the colours, maybe a braided leather bracelet would've given it more oomph - should her obvious charm fail.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 AM) : 

she is absoloutely beautiful. and ageless! i could not tell you what age she is.
to the people who commented that she should have another hair colour, or should dye it to get rid of the grey, i think that is a really sad reflection on consumer driven values regarding beauty. Just because l'oreal tells you old is ugly doesn't make it true. they make money out of having people try to defy time. try to think for yourself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:34 PM) : 

Beige espadrilles would have given her some height. The pants pool around her ankles.

My first impression was that only someone thin and with long limbs could carry off drawstring pants.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 AM) : 

Dries indeed! the shop is right across the street. A must-visit when in Paris!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 PM) : 

this is casual dressing at its best but i really don't like those flip-flops.

 

Anonymous LIZPR said ... (9:32 AM) : 

I don't get it. I dislike this outfit. I love the shirt; the COLOUR of the pants; love the casualness. But I don't like the pairing of the top with those pants, and I really don't like the style of the pants at all. The elasticised waist creates a pleated front effect - not good. Flip-flops are not my favourite, but can look cute. I prefer to leave them on the beach.

 

Anonymous Brynn Watkins said ... (10:55 PM) : 

Wow the Left Bank of Paris, one of my favorite spots for people watching and home of my favorite bookstore Shakespeare and Company. I love her business-like denim blouse mixed with he flowy army green pants. She is comfy and loves a good read.

 

Anonymous Banking News said ... (12:42 PM) : 

it's nice.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting