This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...Fur & Sweatshirts, Moscow

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

On the Street...Fur & Sweatshirts, Moscow


Comments on "On the Street...Fur & Sweatshirts, Moscow"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 AM) : 

This is a very interesting look. Not what I would expect from Moscow-but I like it!

 

Blogger samuel.b.parker said ... (2:19 AM) : 

A Moscovite and Marlboro lights...

Good look, very trendy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:46 AM) : 

she doesn't really look like a usual Moscow girl. Maybe the "new" Moscow girl!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 AM) : 

Marlboro cool in Moscow banned in New York. Who'd a thunk it?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:11 AM) : 

Would the Marlboros leave a stench/scent on the sweatshirts?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 AM) : 

love this.

this is one of my favorite things you have posted because it is easy, androgynous, and label isnt important. it is about shape, color, and texture.

good job, moscow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:59 AM) : 

Love this - the silhouette and the mix of textures and i always love black and navy together. the whole look is at once sophisticated and unplanned. Cool.

 

Blogger fashion blah blah said ... (4:16 AM) : 

great shot!!!

 

Blogger Olviya said ... (4:23 AM) : 

agree with previous post... not that look i was expecting from moscow. i thought to see more color, expression...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:36 AM) : 

Looks a lot like Juliette Binoche, which indeed is a compliant.

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (4:37 AM) : 

I hope I'm not the only one, but I'm afraid I don't like the outfit as a whole at all...*quickly hides away in a corner hoping not to have stones thrown at her*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:01 AM) : 

I have not been to Moscow since 2006 : it's good to be reminded of the lovely architecture of the old center. That face... could be from a Tchekov play. Perfect skin.

 

Blogger 00 said ... (5:11 AM) : 

Interesting look, grungy student with a twist. Cant say I like the sweat pants though.

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (6:04 AM) : 

Hmm, I see youngsters in Amsterdam also wearing the same pants. But then even more baggy on the waist and very skinny on the ankles. Must say that I like it and I will try to snap a picture of it this week.

I love your close-up very much. Nice that you pay attention to the details so now and then!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:25 AM) : 

The pants feel unintentionally (yet very intentionally!) east bloc chic, which contrasts nicely with the Tsarist fur effect. Sart, you really did a good job picking a subject who is lovely but not obviously model-esque this time! I'm sure this will please a lot of people. The intensity of her gaze and the grip on the book in her left hand pleases me too. You've always been the aesthete's choice of fashion blog, but now I think you've got the thinking man/woman nailed down too (not that the two are mutually exclusive, of course). Thank you for such a thoughtful shot and contribution in general!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:40 AM) : 

this reminds me how much I loved Moscow when I visited. brilliant look too. thanks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:59 AM) : 

Cigarettes, the only weak part of this ensemble.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 AM) : 

Cosmopolitan art student

 

Blogger beths said ... (7:13 AM) : 

While west of Moscow, we enjoy the elaborate boot trend, this young woman wears old-school white velcro on her feet. I love the gray layers with the blue and the white and the Moscow sky. And her face.

 

Blogger Salucombo_Jr. said ... (7:18 AM) : 

America present in Russian!

nice view

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (7:48 AM) : 

Is this the sartorial equivalent of drinking good champagne from a plastic cup? I mean, wonderful setting, fur is exquisite, and paired with sweatpants? I await the rest of the comments while I go to Style.com and check out your other pics to get my creative juices flowing. Jorge from W Palm Beach.

 

Blogger jessicadrhp said ... (7:52 AM) : 

beanie is not too bad, fits quite well. Fur & sweatshirt is great, just as the post title indicates. I think a pair of skinnies would perk up the look, it seems just a little overloaded with 'bagginess'

 

Blogger Sara said ... (7:57 AM) : 

You can almost feel the textures. Nice!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:01 AM) : 

Your look is really interesting and I like it really much!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 AM) : 

I like the outfit from the waist up. She's adorable.

 

Blogger maggie_hogan said ... (8:23 AM) : 

but this is EXACTLY what i would expect from moscow~ it's super cold, and russian culture is a little sinister... so let's wear a dark, basic color palette with some fur to funk it up.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 AM) : 

wow

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:14 AM) : 

Is it Arbat or Kamergersky lane?
I praise you not to shoot at the Tverskaya street (in the center) all D&G there... which is bought in some marketplaces... girks there are too glamorous.
I'm so glad you came to uor great beautiful city ^)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 AM) : 

I hate the loook au complet, but I love the texture game. It would be nice to reprise the concept and make it actually beautiful.

 

Blogger mark lesser said ... (9:19 AM) : 

frumpy.. marlboro nice touch...

 

Blogger Steph said ... (9:29 AM) : 

So brilliant. I've never seen someone dress down fur so much. It's so nice because when you are young it seems that you either need to wear fur to events or just wait until you have gone up in years lol

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 AM) : 

it's stoleshnikov lane, good part of moscow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 AM) : 

I don't like it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 AM) : 

I haven't seen shoes like that in years!

 

Blogger biglakestyle said ... (10:15 AM) : 

Have said in the past that I strongly object to the pics with cigarettes. Sart, you know the whole deal with impressionable younger people, cigarettes and fashion. Please think about the impression you make; there is a reason NYC has banned cigarettes in restaurants, etc.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:24 AM) : 

wow! unexpected. i love the androgyny.

please do show more of sartorial russia. i'm heading to st petersburg in january and need (very) cold weather inspiration!

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (10:27 AM) : 

The fur totally makes the look whether this is intended as a style statement or is simply a look born of necessity in which certain juxtapositions happen to look cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM) : 

Well, if being honest, it's a very unusual look for Russians. As for the first, most of the girls here wear high hills. As for the second, not too many wear fur (yet her coat looks very nice). As someone above has mentioned already, I would think she was a student from Europe. That doesn't mean I don't like the outfit, of course. Just, as I said, something out of the ordinary. I understand though, this blog is not about comparing and contrasting people from different countries, and just about style that is equal all over the world.

 

Blogger Wanderlusting said ... (11:46 AM) : 

Like what many have said - not what we (Ok, I) imagine Moscow would be like (where are the grand old dames with fur coats and mufflers?) - but interesting nonetheless.

I don't really like this sort of style (the shoes, the pants) but I do like the mixture of textures and I DO appreciate how warm and cozy she looks. She owns it.

Can't wait to see what else you have in store!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 AM) : 

oh my god yes

 

Blogger its for your own good said ... (11:57 AM) : 

fur, the other weak part of this outfit. seriously, gross and depressing that everyone here is falling over themselves about the fur and how chic it is. gross.

 

Blogger Super Milk-Chan said ... (12:04 PM) : 

I'm sorry, I just don't get this. It doesn't look planned, or interesting or anything. It's just a girl bundled up in sloppy sweats.

 

Blogger MAJoR said ... (12:27 PM) : 

Moscow chic ... very nice

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:39 PM) : 

i like this kind of cozy, simple luxury.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:42 PM) : 

She looks comfy, and a beautiful Juliette Binoche face. (applause)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:46 PM) : 

wonderful.... fur and cigerettes. Sart????????

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 PM) : 

I tried to like it, but honestly - I don't! the fur is really nice but not it this combination :) The idea is not revelatory but also good!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 PM) : 

She's cute, ...but her shoes totally kill her outfit !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 PM) : 

I wouldn't expect Moscow to deliver this good, but voila... Brilliant easy look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 PM) : 

She are atypical Muscovite

 

Blogger Hannah Stephenson said ... (2:00 PM) : 

Strange, strange, strange.

I love the look of this girl (but not the clothing, perhaps). I like that she looks comfortable in her disjointed look.

 

Blogger Loulou said ... (2:29 PM) : 

I am growing weary of the dropped crotch trend, and volume to this level is sort of over. i love the bl/black. that was feautred in other postings as well.

on the issue of heels, she could really use them. with amazing stiletto booties (ysl inspired) and slim fititng skirt or pants, this would look amazing.

now there is just some nice texture and color.

 

Blogger LRB said ... (2:59 PM) : 

I love the close-up of the the knit sweater, the fur and the Marlboro Lights. Certainly fits my bill.

 

Blogger VanessasRunway said ... (3:04 PM) : 

Pictures like these make me wish California had weather it's more than 80 degreeeeees right now!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:34 PM) : 

From the waist up, awesome. Comfy, yet v. stylish. The sweatpants and shoes, though, not so much--for me, they cross the line into sloppy.

 

Blogger Ivy Lane said ... (4:18 PM) : 

Different, but in a cute way...she'll stay lovely if she stops smokin'!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:21 PM) : 

I never thought I would see cigarettes as “cool”, “trendy” or anything other than “stench” and “cancer”. I know its very classic though. To each his own!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:27 PM) : 

Oh, les américains! How boooring! This blog isn't about public health policy so, please, focus on the style and let us, french, russian, italian smoke our cigarretes in peace.
You don't see us complaining about all the fat you eat...
Bisous

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:30 PM) : 

Bonjour,

She looks like a student. I like the style from the waist up, but the sweat pants do ruin the total look for me. And I am not into fur.

Merci, Zoé

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:54 PM) : 

The Russians have style. I knew it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:04 PM) : 

Really nice match of blue with black...haven't seen this kind of shoes since the 80's though.
I have to agree she looks like a European student;-)

 

Blogger Shelby said ... (5:14 PM) : 

Beautiful textures.

I just love it.

Nix the cigarettes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:23 PM) : 

real genius

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:28 PM) : 

Quite a nice look, it's like a mixture off someone that you'd see on British streets and Moscow. The cigarettes work it too lol

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:02 PM) : 

love the silhouette and the shoes. great face too. not so much the marlboros.

 

Blogger Rakel said ... (6:52 PM) : 

I don't like this out fit very much... perhaphs it's too dark??

 

Blogger Raul Bonatiu said ... (7:55 PM) : 

cold isn't it?..the new moscovite

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:06 PM) : 

I don't like this at all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:10 PM) : 

sart, great shot. surprised and delighted yet one more time at the subtlety of your eye. i am russian living in usa but i am always stunned at the westerners' prejudice about what should come out russia style wise. russians are very much invested into looking good and they do look good, especially in big cities. they do love to play with clothing whether it involves something expensive or grandma's ol' stole in this case. this is russian thinking woman chic. all mixed up in an anti-glamor concoction. i know those girls too well, bet you anything she is a literature major with highly dismissive attitude towards fashion as value system. what she wears is more of a ideological statement then styling flourish. see it as such.
congrats, you got a strictly local phenomenon in women's dressing.
impressed regular.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:30 PM) : 

Somking kills ... not very stylish as well :p

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:30 PM) : 

Lovely top half and beautiful face. The shapeless trousers don't do her any favours at all, though, nor do the shoes.

It doesn't have to be a compromise between style and comfort. If her trousers were slimmer fitting (I'm sure she has the figure for it) and a pair of leather boots on her feet, she would still be warm and comfortable and also look beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 PM) : 

The sneakers are soooo wrong. Never, never right for a city look. (only at the gym or if you are running a marathon.) Everything is null and void because of the sneakers. However, the girl is very cute.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:44 PM) : 

In theory, this look shouldn't work but in practice, it does. I think it's the mix of textures & colours - as well as the high (fur) and low (sweat pants) that make it interesting... Never liked those hi-top velcro trainers though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 PM) : 

she is definitely not russian but i guess it doesn't matter, right? ;)
I love shoes and pants but not both of them together..
om.. sorry I just don't really think that I love this outfit at all. kinda homeless.. dont you think so?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 PM) : 

quit smoking and then it's chic!

 

Blogger daltonmc said ... (9:55 PM) : 

Looks very Russian. Not so chic, necessarily, not to progressive. It's more of a necessity I would think, in the cold. But still is fashionable in a sense. I like the detail on the pack of smokes, too.

Interesting.

 

Blogger John B Pritchett said ... (9:56 PM) : 

Great photographs but no way on the clothing. Looks like she's just trying to stay warm while having a smoke outside...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 PM) : 

White sneakers?

 

Blogger t. said ... (1:17 AM) : 

great style!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:14 AM) : 

Russian The Trendy

The Infininity

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:15 AM) : 

BORING!!! Where's the glamour? Where's the attitude? I have waited 2 days for you to post and I get this? And a close up of a pack of Marlboro's - what the? Scott - if I wanted photo's of uni students in layered knitwear, I would scout Facebook.

 

Blogger Grace said ... (2:18 AM) : 

very nice style

 

Blogger Grace said ... (2:20 AM) : 

coool outfit

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:08 AM) : 

Love the photograph, her palette and the fur/casual thing. I'd love to see her try chic-er trackies and darker sneakers as well.

The word verification thing for this post looks like it's translated from cyrillic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:28 AM) : 

Very warm looking

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 AM) : 

Wait - am I missing something here? What's cool about it? That she threw on her mink before running out to get a pack of cigs? I'm willing to bet that the girl was pulling an all-nighter studying for an exam... I do agree tho that it's not the "usual" Moscow look that you'd expect. ~jm

 

Blogger RubyRai said ... (12:00 PM) : 

I personally love this. I can never wear sweats in public without feeling self conscious but she makes them look stylish! I need me a cute faux fur cape.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:42 PM) : 

I don´t like the pants and that sneakers are horrible. It´s a pity because her face is beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 PM) : 

I adore her shoes! They look like the very old reeboks, but these are also very stylish!
Nice picture Sart, enjoy your stay!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:18 PM) : 

wooohoo.......I totally agree with Severine N, the american autopilot nix the fags comments are so tedious and predictable......I am going to say something about the shot but I just want to say that recently I was in a taxi queue at gare du nord enjoying a long-awaited cigarette when I heard a little American boy-voice, 'cute' commercial kind.....shouting in absolute horror "mommy! Look! She's smoking" Mommy didn't rebuke him for being somewhat rude, but replied soothingly "i know honey, some people do this in France..........I love the shot the mix of fur and trainers/sweats is cool and she looks way confident with her look......not at all like she popped out in whatever to pick up the cigs and got caught by Sart. Historically in Russia fur is habitual winter wear.......looks to me like its cold and bleak enough for it.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (3:20 PM) : 

love the detail-picture, you should do this more often ....
You get to see the fabrics even better - I just love it when you can almost *feel* the picture

 

Blogger Marina said ... (5:16 PM) : 

There are 2 types of russian girls: first is glossy, glamour and very trendy, second who said that they don't care about their style. It is not true. They just want to be like no over, unique. Frankly speaking, this is not my style, but I like that you choose this girl, because people all over the world think that we russians live between bears and ice, wearing only valenki and shapka and Dolce&Gabbana))
We all very different and because of this I love Moscow!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:55 PM) : 

fur?seriously.. its just so sad.. not chic at all..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:19 PM) : 

It's interesting how nobody seems to know if this is a carefully put together look or something she's messily thrown on to go and buy cigs, and in fact I don't think it really matters.

You don't have to be some sort of fashion pro to be on The Sartorialist, she must have just caught his eye and Sart's translated it into an interesting shot, which isn't the most exciting but it isn't bad either.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:31 PM) : 

I Love Marlboro Light, great shot

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 AM) : 

This looks like something I'd wear when I was throwing together warm layers to run the garbage to the curb (although I have no fur stoles in my closet), and in my opinion, that kind of outfit is not usually the flattering kind. This one certainly isn't.

Really like the detail shot - please do more of that!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:01 PM) : 

whether moscow ,india, kabul or greenland...why 'expect'? it is never always only about the place, but about the individual..
harmonoius contradictions... and the pleated trousers that at first glance seem like sweatpants. love it all!
not the shoes so much, but everything else...and the girl is such a natural.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:37 AM) : 

In NYC I hide behind office buildings to smoke. Never been to Moscow, but when in Paris, Marlboro lights are an accessory. Everyone knows where a Tabac is open at 11pm and even if you don't know the language, everyone knows Marlboro Lights.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting