This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Finally a Black Coat with Some Design Detail, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, December 19, 2008

On the Street....Finally a Black Coat with Some Design Detail, NYC


It was great to finally see a girl wearing a black winter coat with some really great design details - like the oversized buttons and a dropped waist belt.

Comments on "On the Street....Finally a Black Coat with Some Design Detail, NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 AM) : 

Love the coat and this girl's look - I have been scouring the women's departments for a new coat, but now I will go over to the men's side.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 AM) : 

I love the belt low on the hips... and are those Doc Martens??? She is a modern, elevated goth girl after my own heart. This would have been even better with old school platform creepers i/o the Docs. First Morris Day, now Siouxsie...what's next, Morrissey?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:45 AM) : 

Yeah, this coat is very nice, but I did get a good bargain on my lambs wool, black coat in Fiorenze for 30 Euro! I usually add my own details to my coats if they are too boring.

Heather

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 AM) : 

That coat looks fabulous on Sarah! I, too, like the belt on the hips. I think this photo sets the bar for black coats...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

she's very smart!

 

Blogger annie said ... (11:15 AM) : 

it's a great variation but the belt on the hips isn't flattering at all. still -- she can pull it off.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

Not bad, and Sarah looks good in it, but it's really just a trench. I have a black Yojhi that could teach this coat a few things about extraordinary.

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (11:18 AM) : 

that belt REALLY wants to be higher.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 AM) : 

Whoa! Love the BIG buttons and belt. Hot hot hot!!!

 

Blogger Katarina Kühl ~ PencilFashion said ... (11:42 AM) : 

i really like her hair!

 

Blogger Jimin said ... (12:14 PM) : 

awesome coat!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 PM) : 

I've yet to see the beauty in oversized buttons. To me, they're just...clutter. I wish they'd go away.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:46 PM) : 

I actually think the dropped waist belt is unflattering.

 

Blogger lambchop said ... (12:47 PM) : 

love the button details and those pins on the left side. fun!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 PM) : 

Please. This girls is perfection from that inky bob to the docs. A dropped waist belt isn't for everyone but she ain't everyone.

Monique

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 PM) : 

i'm not crazy about the dropped waist - it makes it really hard to figure out what i'm sure are nice proportions. looks like a different body cut-and-pasted between her head and legs.

 

Blogger meredith said ... (1:39 PM) : 

This picture is so cute I want to bite it!

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (1:42 PM) : 

This is such a great style !
The coat is amazing and I'd love to find a similar one...
I'm a sucker for a black or navy coat..
The narrow trousers and boots are just perfect with the heavy belt on this beauty...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:13 PM) : 

Is the the gal with the ripped nylons back in November?

Coat looks just a tad busy for my taste. Sorry!

 

Blogger Stephanie Clayton said ... (2:18 PM) : 

ooooo, now that's a stylish coat! usually i don't like oversized buttons, but they really look good here.
wish i could pull off this low-belt style, but it probably takes a taller silhouette (she looks tall-ish).
the cut is clearly fabulous on this girl!
oh, and that all black (or is it navy?) with her black hair & pale skin...divine.

 

Blogger Kelly Erin said ... (2:24 PM) : 

I think that the dropped waist with the oversized buttons is a bit overwhelming for her. The waist isn't working with her body, it looks like it might be hard to walk. But, to her credit, she is adorable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:46 PM) : 

I am loving the Louise Brooks haircut!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:58 PM) : 

She is so charming-looking. Inspired by many periods and making a great cool modern fusion of them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:09 PM) : 

i love it on her BUT while shopping for a coat this year i couldn't find anything except for big ol' buttons and dropped waist belts. this coat is done well but i don't think the details you pointed out are particularly special.

 

Blogger J.A.F. said ... (3:29 PM) : 

Striking, love the severity and the masculine pant with the chunky Doc (I'm presuming). Coat is perfection.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:57 PM) : 

This pic is an excellent illustration of the importance of dressing for your body type. A curvy girl with boobs/booty and short legs cant really pull off this look, but her thin, long frame wears the coat incredibly well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:11 PM) : 

A) I love oversized buttons for their graphical nature.
B) The dropped waist totally works on her. This pic is an absolute optical wonder - she looks 7" tall, especially since there isn't anything else in the pic to reference her height.
C) I have been trying to find a way re-integrate my Doc boots & this provides me with the reinforcement I need to confirm that they are still FAB.

 

Blogger Paige said ... (4:37 PM) : 

So awesome!!

 

Blogger Shaynuh said ... (4:47 PM) : 

Very androgynous. The oversize buttons do add some contrast to the already dark coat. As for the waist belt its an added accessory that could work even better not there or higher above her waist.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:26 PM) : 

It's probably a man's coat. Notice the way the jacket laps (left over right instead of right over left).

I wish the jacket was 2 inches shorter--then it would be perfection.

 

Blogger Mo said ... (5:29 PM) : 

Yeah, indeed, I don't fancy the belt part either. I got a black winter coat with dropped waist belt from Elie Tahari a few years back, and I found the belt at the hip so unflattering that I finally had to get rid of it all together, after which it looked fab.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 PM) : 

Beautiful coat, definitely one of the better ones I've seen all season. Like the pants and her haircut too. If she had worn different shoes she'd elevate the outfit to crazy chic and less goth. But who cares, she looks great.

Enrgie

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (5:51 PM) : 

Yeah, I like detail in clothing. This coat is awsome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:15 PM) : 

agree with most that the drpped waist is unflattering, but otherwise she look so great!

 

Blogger SparkleQueen said ... (8:22 PM) : 

I totally agree! love the details.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 PM) : 

Love this coat...the drop waist is quite lovely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 PM) : 

great look; great photo.

 

Blogger raynaae said ... (10:43 PM) : 

i wish the waist belt was LOWER, or higher. It's in an odd place but i like the coat a great deal.

 

Blogger Motozulli said ... (11:34 PM) : 

What a fabulous, modern take on the 1920s silhouette. I love that her hair matches her coat. And her ultra-skinny jeans are the modern girl's answer to silk hose. Right on!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 AM) : 

I beg to differ. I think it looks too busy not to mention slightly unflattering at the waist. It seems to me like the kind of coat that would be good for one season and then you'd get tired of it. On the other hand something like this would make a good "second coat" (or third ahah) for those days when you wake up with an extra spring in your step! lol

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:17 AM) : 

Totally androgynous!! She's so cool!

-VD-

 

Blogger M said ... (5:02 AM) : 

In reply to 1. Is this a male coat then?

 

Blogger Disneyrollergirl.net said ... (6:29 AM) : 

Gorgeous coat - like the military style AND it looks properly warm!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 AM) : 

Blue-black bob haircut, military coat, sta press trousers and dr. martens(the perfect shoes to complete that look) a reminiscence of the early 90's avant-garde total black chic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 AM) : 

Like so many above me I just can't get on board with this drop-waist belt. Maybe it's just because I'm incredibly long-waisted, but I balk at nearly everything that makes the torso look long and the legs short (low-rise jeans anyone?). Unless you have extremely long legs and a very short torso, why wear such a thing? For all I know this girl does have long legs -- but who would know.

Move the belt up a few inches and I'd love this. I agree with Sart on the buttons, though -- they're quite nice!

And her hair looks great!

 

Blogger Ivy Lane said ... (11:10 AM) : 

Finally!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:40 PM) : 

yes, finally!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:56 PM) : 

looks like dior homme to me. looks fantastic on a girl!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:43 PM) : 

are those jeans creased !?
i'm obsessed. what a cutie.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:23 PM) : 

Apparently, I the only person in the world that hates oversized buttons.

I will say don't find the big buttons as twee in this look, which is fantastic.

Perhaps I have just been overexposed to oversized buttons done in a poorly executed fashion. Pardon the pun.

 

Blogger A La Mode said ... (2:30 PM) : 

She looks so cute!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:31 PM) : 

this coat is alright....the most compelling idea about this posting is just that it's a man's coat worn by a woman. this is the same sarah that Sart photographed wearing a Dior men's suit earlier this year?...last year? makes me think the coat is also men's Dior...

she's pretty cool...she sold me my Balenciaga bag a few years back when she worked there...and she's also from the same midwestern state as I am.

lastly, wondering if it's more polite to say..."It was great to finally see a (young) lady wearing a black winter coat..." instead of 'girl'. not likely that a sentence on this post would say "It was great to finally see a boy wearing..." probably would say 'guy' or even 'man'...just saying.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:48 PM) : 

big buttons remind me of H&M. it's hard to find coats WITHOUT big buttons nowadays. dropped waist - i like the look, but again, its a bit of everywhere.

 

Blogger Tiger Fodder said ... (12:19 AM) : 

It looks warm!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:18 AM) : 

C'est tres Louise Brooks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 AM) : 

Perfecto! The coat compliments her chic look.

 

Blogger Allen - East Hampton said ... (11:12 AM) : 

She looks great in every way, and I like all the geometrics - her haircut and the background.

 

Blogger Lenoxave said ... (1:11 PM) : 

Now THAT is one sharp coat. I love the military style tailoring and that wonderful low belt. Very cool.

 

Blogger Ammie said ... (2:11 PM) : 

The drop waist cinching on the coat gives it just that little bit of interest. True that not everyone can pull that off, but here it is very nice!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 PM) : 

she looks so TALL!
is she really as tall as she looks?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 PM) : 

Love that Film Noir/Matrix look to it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:47 PM) : 

ooooooooo, i want this girl to call me

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:37 AM) : 

exclude the belt...she's very sharp and chic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 AM) : 

'girl' is a such a fashion term. it's silly, but forgivable!

 

Blogger Carlotta said ... (9:18 AM) : 

delicious!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:30 PM) : 

Well, for you who have a hard time finding unique wool coats and jackets, especially if you're on a budget, you can "borrow" my trick. I buy a very basic, inexpensive wool coat at H&M or a similar place that fits my budget. Then I go buy a secondhand coat with great vintage buttons (or buy just the buttons themselves). Then remove those ugly plastic buttons on the new coat, and replace them with the old vintage buttons. Presto, you have a unique coat, that looks expensive and unique.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:02 AM) : 

I´ve got one like hers in Paris this winter, more or less I think.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:13 PM) : 

the coat is dior homme, although could me a special one that people with connection somehow get their hands on...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:57 AM) : 

I'm sure the coat is Dior Homme because I have a friend that has the exact same coat in canvas.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 PM) : 

I am pretty sure that this girl is a SA at Dior Homme NYC Boutique. She is very cool too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:05 PM) : 

Sarah, you look great and cool as always. See you when I'm back in town.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 PM) : 

I know this girl. She works at Dior Homme in Midtown. Nice as can be & always looking very unique in the best ways.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:15 PM) : 

ooh i want! is that the girl that was wearing the dior homme suit a little while back? that haircut looks familiar.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 PM) : 

I loved everything except the shoes. She should have worn boots. Apart from that, the rest is perfect, includint the hair style.
She reminds me of Betty Boop!

 

Blogger PunkiMeowMeow said ... (7:29 PM) : 

I love this look from head-to-toe! Very edgy and cool. Awesome =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 AM) : 

I think, you posted this girl maybe a year ago. In front of the dior homme store in ny! shes great. she remains faithfull!

 

Blogger Style Eyes said ... (8:38 AM) : 

I agree. I spend a lot of time looking at people in plain black coats. That is the problem with winter

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:30 PM) : 

this is amazing! great look.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting