This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street......Proportion Play, Stockholm

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

On the Street......Proportion Play, Stockholm


One of the reasons I keep going back to Stockholm is because they are very good at taking classic shapes and shrinking, stretching, or pulling them into a new play on proportion.

If you review images that I have taken in Stockholm over the years you will see that this is not a city known for color or prints or overt sexiness, but they do seemed obsessed with shape and proportion.

I love the idea of a Jil Sander-esque coat with a super classic ascot.

Comments on "On the Street......Proportion Play, Stockholm"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:12 AM) : 

stunning background in the first picture. the colour of his outfits are nicely balanced, love the tightness.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM) : 

I think the Jill Sander-esque coat is by Acne. Nice.

 

Blogger miss sophie said ... (9:19 AM) : 

i'm really into skinny khakis this season - i'd love to see you post some pics of women in unconventional twists on classic pants! stockholm style looks, as always, directional and understated.

 

Blogger David-Alexandre said ... (9:22 AM) : 

Perfection

 

Blogger James Jean said ... (9:45 AM) : 

Now that you mentioned it, that's very true about the being minimal with color but more bold with proportion and fit which I think is great. Love the look of his trouser in that photo. Only someone with true style can pull that off b/c you can't fake that

 

Blogger InStudio Blog said ... (9:55 AM) : 

He looks like he's right off the set of Madmen . . . Love it.

 

Blogger Rene Schaller said ... (10:02 AM) : 

he has a great style

 

Blogger John B Pritchett said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Love the blue blazer and the way it it fits. I know not everyone can pull this off but he looks great in it.

 

Blogger May Kasahara said ... (10:07 AM) : 

oh that BLUE.
I just died a little.
so good.

 

Blogger diane said ... (10:21 AM) : 

I think I'd like that blue sweater a lot more if it was peeking out from under a coat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 AM) : 

Love his "clean" 1950s look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

i think this guy just need a moustache to be perfect! it is all about proportions!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 AM) : 

The blue jacket has a softness to it-looks like it's made of felt or fine velvet. Note to self-start matching jacket & socks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 AM) : 

That guy works in the Acne store in Stockholm. Dig his style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 AM) : 

Top pic is taken close to the restaurant Riche on Birger Jarlsgatan.....I work on that street a couple of meters up towards Stureplan.

 

Blogger LivingGolden said ... (12:00 PM) : 

I'm going to have to try a girly version of that first look. Love it.

 

Blogger Brian said ... (12:05 PM) : 

Pee Wee Herman's stylish love child...

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (12:30 PM) : 

I adore that bold blue blazer. It really makes a statement, without being annoying.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:42 PM) : 

He works at Acne, and is one of the coolest guy of the crew !

 

Blogger Amra said ... (12:47 PM) : 

I haven't been to Stockholm for quite a while. Though I should. Wouldnt wanna miss out on the proportion play you're writing about. :D
Love the blue jacket in the first picture by the way!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 PM) : 

What of the coolest looks I've seen! At least that fit my personal taste. Who made those khakis? They're absolutely amazing.

 

Blogger Jake Money said ... (1:34 PM) : 

I really would like to see more men wearing ascots with very contemporary selections.

 

Blogger hc said ... (1:44 PM) : 

8/10. simple, yet fixating. amazing what slight discoloring of the socks can do.

 

Blogger David Casavant said ... (2:17 PM) : 

I really love that shade of blue- and I love the pants paired with the shoes!

DavidCasavant.net

 

Blogger Allen - East Hampton said ... (2:56 PM) : 

Pic #1 - As I scrolled down my opinion went from "Yes" to "No." (that said, it's a brilliant shot, Sart)

Pic #2 - Much, much better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:23 PM) : 

Count Fersen is alive and living in Stockholm (again)...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:51 PM) : 

Interesting how the material is played with. He's not neccessarily skinny but the tight jacket is flattering. Something to think about.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (4:17 PM) : 

Yeah, it's true. The shape and proportion of their cloths is really unique! The oversized-trend you see nowadays is definitely inspired from the people in Stockholm.

 

Blogger beths said ... (4:38 PM) : 

Am I the only one who finds the fit of the pants in the top photo extremely unflattering? I really do think PeeWee's trousers fit him better.

 

Blogger CW said ... (4:46 PM) : 

I like the lower photo. However, I think that the model cannot wear the jacket in the upper photo with the coat in the lower one. Lastly, the shortness and tightness of the trousers would work better with dress boots than with low-vamp loafers.

The blue jacket is an exaggeration of the short "Ivy" jackets of the late 1950's and early 1960's. Great hue of blue!

 

Blogger The Khaki Crusader said ... (6:12 PM) : 

bottom photo looks a little like a Swedish Scott Schuman to me

 

Blogger MONI said ... (6:28 PM) : 

his moccasins are gorgeous.
http://www.moneasywardrobe.com

 

Blogger Sidney Rhule said ... (7:27 PM) : 

Too cool for school, gives me the feeling of a modernised twist on vintage.

love the cravat / smoking scarf.
http://filterlife.blogspot.com

 

Blogger premsone said ... (7:34 PM) : 

Love the bleu coat. The fit is perfect. This gentleman has great style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:55 PM) : 

C'mon. That blue jacket is way too small for him. Gives the LOLs though!

 

Blogger Peteykins said ... (8:56 PM) : 

What's cracking me up is that the blue garment in the top photo appears to be not a coat or blazer, but, in fact, a cardigan sweater styled like a blazer. Is it not a knit?

I can't tell you how much I want one. Does anybody know what it is?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 PM) : 

Why don't you agree on that they have a better body proportion to be taken advantage of ?! that's why I don't find H&M looks as appealing on the American as on the Swedish.

 

Blogger John Danner said ... (10:28 PM) : 

Another place that comes to mind that is obsessed with shape and proportion is Helsinki.


I'm not completely sold on this look though.

 

Blogger thestyleadvisor said ... (10:42 PM) : 

Not nearly enough people still sporting the ascot. Its a great look, I hope it is on its way back!

 

Blogger CW said ... (10:49 PM) : 

Khaki Crusader - the model looks more like a Swedish Glenn Beck.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 AM) : 

mod much?

 

Blogger kramsurag said ... (3:39 AM) : 

Damn, I shouldn't have returned my slim khaki's to H&M

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:08 AM) : 

Stockhoooooolm in my heart!!

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (7:53 AM) : 

I just love Stockholm and its fashionable inhabitants. Very much my style as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:04 AM) : 

This guy is called "the bomber" [bombarn] in Stockholm.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:31 AM) : 

I love the way both of them have played with the classic chinos-shirt-jacket combination to create something which looks quite individual.

I'm especially digging the ascot...

 

Blogger Katie said ... (9:00 AM) : 

I've been feeling the khakis for spring as well! It's been a LOOOOOng while since I put 'em on my body.

They looked stale for many years to me, and I would quote Beck in my head: "Beige is the colour of resignation."

No more! They're back, styled '50s, Mod, or Nautical -- fresh again.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:21 AM) : 

The trousers fabric in the first pic not so great… but the 'obsession' is there! Second picture, great outfit (same trousers?!).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 AM) : 

he is really handsome. adorably chic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 PM) : 

i agree... he would be perfection with a moustache!

 

Blogger Barima said ... (1:09 PM) : 

I'm all over cropped sportsjackets (and ascots/cravats), but this proportion can also be glimpsed in almost any European city with a COS, H&M or Topman ;)

Actually, I think Stockholm is most talented at making neutral coloured clothing more interesting than what's seen at first glance

http://barimavox.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 PM) : 

The top look is really hard to pull off without the right build--this guy makes it all work seamlessly. I really like his shoes, tassled loafers have such a clean look and his are especially sleek and expensive-looking. The lower shot is the proper way a short coat should be worn, with streamlined pants. Genius--great job, Sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:37 PM) : 

The jacket on top is also by Acne; it is the Saint Martin Fleece jacket and is made of "Japanese cotton fleece." I got mine at hejfina in Chicago and am a little nervous about sporting it because I'm not particularly skinny. It is wonderfully soft and flexible like a sweater, but cut like a blazer and seems to hold its shape well. I think he pulls it off nicely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:28 PM) : 

I wished more guys would dress like this. Wow I absolutely love it!

 

Blogger Peter Breese said ... (7:59 PM) : 

Ascot is a interesting touch, do you think they will catch on again?

 

Blogger Ida Kjellgren said ... (8:39 PM) : 

Oh I miss my swedish men! And yes we are not a colourful people but we do have style! Oh I miss that style!

 

Blogger Katie Wilkes said ... (3:22 AM) : 

I really like the bright blue jacket. Unexpected, but I think it works.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:01 AM) : 

swedish men have got it going on, obviously!

in the past year, stockholm has fast become my new 'wish-list' destination! people there seem to dress fabulously.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:42 PM) : 

The blue is fun, but those clothes simply do not fit correctly. Buying one size too small is not a substitute for tailoring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 PM) : 

wait where are those khakis from? anyone have any similar ones?

 

Blogger ginjin3 said ... (8:53 PM) : 

That's my type of city! I noticed that from most of your shots from Stockholm.

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (2:45 PM) : 

The first picture makes me think that if he waked down any street looking like that he would be hit on by half the male population. Or maybe 10% of them.

He looks totally different in the second pic. Older! In a good way. Very chic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 PM) : 

Classic style is always good on any guy 8)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

does not anybody find the style of the first picture dangerously evocative and nostalgic???or is it just me?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 AM) : 

I love, love, love the first outfit. Everything is so well put together.
Also think the jacket in the second picture is fantastic.

 

Blogger Passport Stamps said ... (3:45 PM) : 

Tintin...20 years later

 

Blogger Serchileo said ... (4:05 PM) : 

Stockholm has style, has modern style, has not colour but has perfect style. I really love how people is dressed in Stockholm.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:57 PM) : 

I love his style

 

Blogger Simo said ... (9:47 AM) : 

He is fascinating me.
he has that "something"

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting