This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street......Steal Her Style, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, May 18, 2009

On the Street......Steal Her Style, NYC

Comments on "On the Street......Steal Her Style, NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 AM) : 

love the casual rolled up and open shirt

 

Blogger Nathan said ... (9:09 AM) : 

omg. love her shorts

 

Anonymous CrisTina said ... (9:10 AM) : 

Hello, I'm new in this blog, and just love. Saved on my iinternet explorer as open window... =]

This shot: style!!!

Kisses from BRazil...

 

Anonymous dagna said ... (9:11 AM) : 

steal her tan ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:11 AM) : 

great for a summer's day. lovely, especially the shorts.

 

Blogger Martini said ... (9:11 AM) : 

I love how the graffiti from the mailbox echo the ethnic patter of her shorts.

 

Blogger Filipe said ... (9:12 AM) : 

This isn't too hard to pull nor steal.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:12 AM) : 

WoW! I love her denim shirt, it's so cute!

 

Blogger miss sophie said ... (9:13 AM) : 

summer in the city..love the pattern of her shorts! reminds me i need to pull out my linen shirts soon...

 

Blogger Molly said ... (9:16 AM) : 

this is a great shot...love the graffiti in the background!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM) : 

like this one! fresh

 

Blogger INES said ... (9:19 AM) : 

oh so stylish and summerish

 

Blogger demetric wheeler said ... (9:20 AM) : 

Something about a woman who doesn't have to spend 2 hours in a bathroom with surgical gloves and six stylist. A laid back confidence,love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:21 AM) : 

Love this photo. Cute shorts. Love the mailbox too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

what a beautiful shirt!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

what a beautiful shirt!

 

Blogger Jini said ... (9:42 AM) : 

love it! casual cool. usually i don't like flip flops but i like them here, especially with those great shorts!

 

Blogger Hadley Makes said ... (9:45 AM) : 

Oh, how I long for the perfect chambray shirt.

This gal is so lovely, and looks so relaxed. If only she had a bunch of flowers in that hand instead of a phone gadget!

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (9:46 AM) : 

Those are men's JCrew sandals, one of the few shoes they still manufacture in Italy- they are worth every penny! The shorts look killer on her, as does the linen shirt, high quality linen is always a great addition to an outfit! Jorge from WPB

 

Blogger stylethread said ... (9:55 AM) : 

epitome of effortless and androgynous style. I actually had to scroll back up to see it this was a man or a woman.

~stylethread.com

 

Blogger Victoria Clover said ... (9:58 AM) : 

Boring!! Looks like she lifted it from her mom. Yawn.

 

Anonymous mimi said ... (10:03 AM) : 

she reminds me of lily cole.

love the shirt :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:08 AM) : 

I want that shirt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 AM) : 

Uncontrived style. She looks very comfortable in her skin. I'm thinking she's one of those people who effortlessly manages to look pulled together no matter what she wears. One of those "you'd look great in a potato sack" women. I'll be in new york this weekend. Plan to pretend to be Sart for a day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 AM) : 

Oh gosh. I think im in love.

 

Blogger kayang said ... (10:12 AM) : 

OHH I like it. It's laid back.

 

Blogger Emily said ... (10:46 AM) : 

shirts like this are perfect during hot hot summers


http://erosandthewhale.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger James Jean said ... (10:49 AM) : 

Beautiful look....it could very easily be a mens size small linen shirt but nontheless it's a great look

 

Blogger Angeles Almuna said ... (10:50 AM) : 

Casual! Relax! and I love her shorts :)

 

Blogger HLEure said ... (10:56 AM) : 

perfect. this would be an ideal look for here in austin, texas, too--the shirt might be a bit much for summer, but i would try it. thanks, as always, for sharing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

Perhaps this is a tad too laid back to really be stylish....looks like she should be on her way to the beach.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36 AM) : 

Nice, she's spot on!

 

Anonymous ashley said ... (11:45 AM) : 

she looks very relaxed and clean. i love it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:52 AM) : 

...how come is so flipping hot over there that everyone is wearing shorts (and flip flops). No surprise, here in the UK it's rainin again and so chilly I have a hot water bottle while I'm working at home, lol.

 

Blogger ATTN said ... (11:55 AM) : 

Anyone know where she got those shorts? The pattern is derived from a traditional African textile - I'm writing a paper on its contemporary aspects, and this would make a great reference!
Ah, apologies for bringing academia into fashion, but I couldn't resist! hee hee

 

Blogger andrew said ... (11:57 AM) : 

thanks for this... inspiration!

 

Anonymous Katrina said ... (12:08 PM) : 

Fantastic image construction - the blue of the shirt - the pattern on the shorts - all against the graffiti - it's perfect. But guys come on - the short are horrible! Well I guess that's what style is all about eh? It really is in the eye of the beholder..xx

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (12:17 PM) : 

J-Crewsy but I love it. She looks cool (in the hip way as well as in the temperature way) from head to toe in great casual pieces. And she has the good sense to buy leather flip flops which look infinitely better than rubber ones.... rubber flip flops look trailer trashy even on Park Ave. feet. Good eye Jorge for identifying the shoes. You are superoptic.

Those shorts are a must have for me. Gotta find them or something like. I may go crazy in my search because not just any tiki/batik pattern will work. Anyone know who makes them?

Gorgeous girl standing near the most beautiful graffiti mail box ever - nice shot, Sart.

 

Blogger . . . said ... (12:20 PM) : 

Love the casual look of this - so simple and comfortable for the really hot NYC weather.

 

Blogger Fannah said ... (1:08 PM) : 

these shorts.. the print..

yes yes yes. a definite yes.

 

Blogger Hanna Persson said ... (1:16 PM) : 

I can't decide if I love or hate her shorts, but I think I love them!

 

Blogger needle+thread said ... (1:21 PM) : 

so easy to bite this style... perfect ! no fuss, ease... going to copy it a zillion times this summer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 PM) : 

LOVE the backdrop. LOVE NYC. Glad you're back, even if it's just for a little bit ;)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:26 PM) : 

simple, unqique, cute, casual. Awesome photo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:26 PM) : 

Yes everyone looks like this these days. Totally distracted by some gadget and oblivious to the outside world.

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (2:43 PM) : 

Looove the shirt and the juxtaposition against the tribal print short.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 PM) : 

Hmm... This is the way I schlep around the house and yard and on the odd very early morning hit the dog park. It is casual, it is easy, it just doesn't strike me as stylish street-wear. It is not terrible, it is just not special. She is lovely.

I seldom comment because I usually get what your seeing. This I am missing...

D.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (3:59 PM) : 

No girl in the world has the guts to steal this style. Most ladies are trying too hard. This girl looks really laidback; My kinda girl.

I love this picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:29 PM) : 

This shouldn't be on a woman, this should be on me.

 

Anonymous Alex said ... (4:56 PM) : 

Perfect casual, but I would be afraid of my feet. Didn't notice, that this tribal chic is back - is it really? I mean, well I really don't know, because of the length of the shorts.

It's irish linen by Brooks Brothers, isn't it?

 

Blogger M&S said ... (5:01 PM) : 

holiday's style

 

Anonymous Eddie said ... (5:15 PM) : 

The print on the shorts was used by Norma Kamali in the early 80's. Looked great then and looks great now...

 

Anonymous zuccotto said ... (5:28 PM) : 

Nifty contrast with the photo that follows...

Both good photos of interesting people- I would be more comfortable being around this lady.

Glad to see flip flops get a pass from the sartorially picky - don't think I've noticed that before on this blog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:28 PM) : 

Love the contrast of the casual shirt and patterned shorts - Aboriginal androgyny style...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:31 PM) : 

I'm overwhelmed by how masculine this image is.

Yes, the clothing's comfy. Sart has also taken a beautiful pic, but the girl's clothing and body position is all Male...

 

Blogger just.a.train said ... (5:33 PM) : 

She looks like she's about to go on a safari. In a city. *laughs*

 

Blogger beans and mango said ... (7:16 PM) : 

So glad you are back in NY. Love her shirt.. Not quite sure about her bag :)

 

Anonymous The Stylist said ... (7:25 PM) : 

I love this, I strive for this type of wonderful balance. Completely natural but very chic about it.

Streetfancy.com

 

Anonymous spoozylicouzz said ... (7:25 PM) : 

This is just the definiton of "relaxed" attitude towards fashion...despite the fact, that the colour of the shirt does not match her trousers, she is unbelievable cute...no fake boobs, no fake hair, just a lovely tan and an "lean back and enjoy the sun" attitude...10 points!!

 

Anonymous Michele said ... (7:27 PM) : 

wouldnt look twice at her in the street...not very anything!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:50 PM) : 

you know that's her boyfriend's shirt and she hadn't been home yet that day :]

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 PM) : 

I love this look, i have a dress in that same print that I bought at a thrift shop but it is too big these days, maybe i'll have the fabric made into shorts?

I also love her bag, mainly because I own it! It's made out of recycled sails.

 

Blogger jennifer said ... (8:45 PM) : 

She wears this look so well! I think I would look like I had just rolled out of bed if I attempted this...in a bad way. I love the candidness of the photo, as well.

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (8:46 PM) : 

so summer!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 PM) : 

And add to that she has beautiful feet!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 PM) : 

Wow - she's gorgeous. Love the rope handles on her bag.

 

Blogger Cultivated Ah Lian said ... (10:12 PM) : 

ooh............

 

Blogger roberta jane said ... (10:54 PM) : 

Understated, beautiful and her own... Love.

 

Anonymous Dustyflint said ... (10:59 PM) : 

Love the grafitti echoing the pattern on her shorts. This is an everyday look here in Honolulu!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:32 PM) : 

Love the shorts. I know it's a tribal print, but is it reminding anybody else of Keith Haring's work?

Olive

www.visforolive.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Katie said ... (12:13 AM) : 

some are saying it's too casual or too plain. I disagree. Clothes don't need to be wild or extremely polished or dressy to be stylish. I think she looks unique and herself, not trying too hard to please, not trying to be high fashion, not really even trying to get attention. Just a casual, personal look. I love it.

 

Blogger Yasmin Ali said ... (12:19 AM) : 

I don't want to be negative but I've seen better... of course, everyone has their opinion, thats the beauty of blogs! I guess I'm just 'eh' about it because my younger sister works at J.Crew and wears stuff like this all the time and I've never thought of it as impressive. If I was walking down the street I wouldn't look twice at her honestly. But its great that Scott has his own vision and makes people (even me!) re-evaluate style. I'll have to show this to my sister and see what she thinks! (She owns those flip flops too! ...and I borrow them on the down low... shhh!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 AM) : 

is this considered trendy NYC street style? Like Honolulu, this is the uniform here in San Diego. We thought we were just dressing comfortably but who would have guessed we were on the pinnacle of modern fashion all these years :) The Satorialist needs to make a visit out here!! I'll host!

 

Anonymous Niki said ... (1:51 AM) : 

Now this is something I can pull off. The flip flops and shorts are already ready. I love casual style. :) Great photo too! Love her hair.

 

Anonymous FvaD. said ... (2:10 AM) : 

scrolling down ; a graceful look with a wonderful linen Shirt that has the right percentage of creases.scrolling more down: I am not a fan of "going out in my boyfriend's boxers " look.

FvaD.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:47 AM) : 

Sick, Sick, Best outfit so far......

 

Blogger Sara Sherlini Febriajie said ... (5:03 AM) : 

I LOVE THIS! Effortlessly stylish!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:34 AM) : 

nope - it's too 80's sofa fabric for me....
but the background is vibrant and a whole lot less mundane!

 

Blogger thwany said ... (5:57 AM) : 

ahh, summer...

 

Blogger Maliha said ... (7:58 AM) : 

I love the entire look altogether, but I am not the biggest fan of those shorts or the half of the bag that I can see. I do however, like how the bag matches the graffiti in the background.

 

Anonymous The Barton Girl said ... (8:01 AM) : 

Yep, great style indeed! Love that easy, summer-in-the-City look which New Yorkers seem to pull together so effortlessly.

But is it already that hot in NYC?

 

Anonymous bitsy said ... (8:18 AM) : 

I love that she's wearing the most ordinary articles of clothing, just shirt, shorts, and flip flops - and she looks so effortlessly stylish.

 

Blogger Nikki said ... (9:00 AM) : 

Love how casual and summery this is... her shorts are so great. Fits right in with the graffiti... simple and awesome!

 

Anonymous Mesquita said ... (11:11 AM) : 

les shorts sont givenchy, non ? très très chic, j'adore.

 

Blogger Sea/ Silver/ Stone said ... (11:48 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger doingtheunstuck said ... (12:21 PM) : 

no, most of us wouldn't look twice at her on the street—and it doesn't matter, because that's not what "style" is about. this is breezy and beautiful—and it absolutely lets her natural loveliness stand out. there's nothing manly about this woman.

 

Blogger nikky said ... (12:22 PM) : 

her shorts are crazy cool.

pattern is great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:55 PM) : 

what a beauty! It is nice that she makes kinda maskuline clothes look so feminine :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:40 PM) : 

Her jewelry, although very understated, certainly completes the outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 PM) : 

A lovely photo, lovely lady with lots of style, clearly. As for the clothes themselves, I love them but for the beach not the city. I really wish people would "bring it" a little more. I don't mean simply dressing up or going more formal, not at all. But, for example, leave Nantucket reds on Nantucket, leave anything fraternity/sorority related in the pajama drawer, etc. Also -- I know I am hugely in the minority here -- but flip flops in NYC just seem all wrong to me. I want to see *real* shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:38 PM) : 

her style is sheer youth and good legs. I like the style of the mailbox better.

 

Blogger noelakadjtambour said ... (11:19 PM) : 

this look should be easy enough to steal but harder to own

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 AM) : 

The style is all her own.
The jewelry is all her own.
A real natural beauty.
Real
Authentic
I love it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:59 AM) : 

amazing shot, she looks so nonchalant and relaxed! you really got her at her most comfortable. very very classy at the same time. xx kate

 

Anonymous aleksina said ... (6:12 AM) : 

What a pretty outfit for the summer. The shirt looks exactly like the one I got from H&M (L.O.G.G.) a while ago.. Have to try something similar soon.. :)

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (8:01 AM) : 

Love her casual stylish look!

 

Blogger Gary K. said ... (12:27 PM) : 

Ditto on the flip-flops comment above. They're good for the beach or even the sidewalk in a quiet little town, but the concrete jungle of NYC? Ouch. Wish she were protecting those pretty toes!

 

Blogger Ivo said ... (12:53 PM) : 

I´m in love. Her style is perfect.

 

Blogger mydrid said ... (4:33 PM) : 

great, this shot is all about style

 

Blogger raguandroses said ... (11:52 AM) : 

the shirt is so fresh and sexy.I love the crumpled easy-goin' attitude and the afro print.Would have chosen a gladiator sandal instead of the flip flops...

 

Blogger Alexandra said ... (3:18 PM) : 

Beautiful shot- are these candid photos?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:42 PM) : 

um.. not really..

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (10:39 PM) : 

is this girl an australian in NY? she could be...cute relaxed look!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 PM) : 

i keep coming back to this photo. i am drawn to it! thanks sart.

 

Blogger Rayray said ... (3:26 PM) : 

Really cool, so relaxed. Wish I could pull that off! And what lovely legs!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:20 PM) : 

my mother had a few pieces of norma kamali from the 80's (which i still have) that are exactly the color and print of those shorts! amazing.

 

Blogger dnqcnn said ... (4:45 PM) : 

Yes, yeeees! Fine shorts, must love them!

 

Blogger Deafkid said ... (8:23 PM) : 

Has nobody commented on her hair? It's what stood out at me most. It looks adorable.

 

Anonymous georgia said ... (9:51 AM) : 

I LOVE this whole outfit, the shorts and shirt :)

Propsforbella.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:17 PM) : 

<3 everything, 'cept the iPhone.

amazing site btw- bookmarked and inspirational.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:38 AM) : 

Am I the only person here who thinks this actually looks more sloppy than stylish?

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (4:10 PM) : 

Flip-flops in Manhattan?

Is she catching a bus for the Hamptons?

 

Anonymous Hannah said ... (5:38 PM) : 

I love when people dress to express themselves. This seems really practical and genuine.

 

Blogger Octavia Morris said ... (6:55 PM) : 

well you've got a very clever eye - i can see what you're getting at but actually it's the shot that makes it look good - mailbox, legs etc. - anyone else trying to pull this off would look frumpy

personally i think it's not a look for the city, and the shorts and tote are grim

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:39 AM) : 

Are the flip flops J.Crew?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:54 PM) : 

love the pants and the naturally rolled up shirt. her bag matches up perfectly to the entire look

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 PM) : 

Yes. The flip flops are J.Crew.

 

Blogger Aussie said ... (9:26 PM) : 

J. Crew is selling shirts like those. love it x

 

Blogger lunaed said ... (6:26 AM) : 

Such beautiful indifference, something that cannot be learnt.
Sadly!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 PM) : 

I am not sure how I happened upon this but I know who she is. She is not from Australia, she is from Maine. The look is all hers though. She has always had an etheral look. Very neat to see her on here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:07 AM) : 

"Love breaks the wings of a butterfly on a wheel..."

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting