This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

A Simple Portrait

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Simple Portrait


More than the Comme Des Garcons black/green camo jacket, I love the gentle spirit of this young man.

For me, the whole shot is about the way he holds his hands and his posture. This is where personal interpretation comes into play - is this heartbreaking? tender? calm? sad? reflective?

Comments on "A Simple Portrait"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:03 AM) : 

you're up early! Nice shot!

 

Blogger Yassmina said ... (7:09 AM) : 

I would say nostalgic, if anything.

The shoes are quite cool though. Velcro is always awesome :)

An interesting bangle too - similar to one sikh's wear, i think?

 

Blogger James Jean said ... (7:11 AM) : 

I'm gonna guess tender. I usually do that when I'm in some kind of sensitive thought haha. Great photo.

 

Blogger Cal at Northern Sky Knitting said ... (7:11 AM) : 

I would say pensive and quite calm.

 

Blogger Ruhvana and Flanelli said ... (7:13 AM) : 

I fell in love with this photo. The background is stunning. And he is just beautiful and his hands are so gentle.

Ruhvana

 

Blogger I'm a mean street kid. said ... (7:16 AM) : 

he looks like a deep thinker. i like how the sky behind him seems to reflect his mood - sort of mellow, and somewhere in between a sunny & stormy day. like a layer of cloud over his mind.

 

Blogger Monika Poppy said ... (7:17 AM) : 

very nice



http://www.monikapoppy.com
LOVE FROM MONIKA POPPY
LIVING AND LOVING IT UP IN LONDON

 

Anonymous bigwink said ... (7:17 AM) : 

Lost?

 

Anonymous STYLE SCANNER said ... (7:18 AM) : 

That tunic is amazing (very Rik Owens)- great hair too.

 

Anonymous Dr. Sax said ... (7:18 AM) : 

I'd say he looks more awkward, like he's not really too sure what to do with his hands. Perhaps he's not used to being photographed?

Man, I gotta tell you this blog has changed my life. I've always been interested in style but this blog and your photos have opened my eyes wider and now it all pours in and wont stop.

Get your arse to London again Sart, we've got it all...

 

Blogger Noa Raviv said ... (7:22 AM) : 

Beautiful picture!!

I really love it!

Hook The Look

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:23 AM) : 

Beautiful photograph!At first I thought that this young man is a prist.

 

Anonymous Antonio Barros said ... (7:27 AM) : 

I like his outfit....
He looks reflective in a sad way...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:29 AM) : 

Love the sneakers. Very cool!

Sart, when will we see you in Helsinki?

 

Blogger Karolina said ... (7:30 AM) : 

He seems very reflective to me and british.

x

 

Blogger fikrifayi said ... (7:35 AM) : 

that's cool!

 

Blogger Gwen said ... (7:43 AM) : 

Agree with Northern Sky--pensive.

 

Blogger Paulina said ... (7:58 AM) : 

I couldn't agree more with some of the previous comments. This is a great photo (and the shoes are excellent!)

Paulina

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:58 AM) : 

Agreed : he looks like a priest. His hands call for a book to hold.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:06 AM) : 

He looks like someone that has just lost a thumb wrestling championship.

-Pietro

 

Blogger Rafe New York said ... (8:12 AM) : 

there's an air of melancholy in this picture. he looks like somebody just broke up with him. :-(

http://rafeloves.rafe.com/

 

Blogger Hawa said ... (8:37 AM) : 

i would say thoughtful...but he does kinda have that awkward charm, he truly doesn't look like he is used to attention/photography for that matter...but this is a classic case of true personal style...simple

 

Blogger A home far away said ... (8:44 AM) : 

Lovely photo!

Hugs Gunilla in Singapore

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:44 AM) : 

Sad - like his lover is leaving on that plane out of Casablanca.

He does look cool, though!

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (8:54 AM) : 

i think good style is more about the spirit and less about the clothes. this past weekend, i had a t-shirt on and simple shorts...and i got a ton of random comments. ive worn it a million times but this particular time i must have been in a good mood.

LOVE this photo.

 

Blogger Stephon said ... (8:57 AM) : 

I digg with this one... Masterpiece !!

http://fashioneptunes.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Scott W said ... (9:32 AM) : 

Ahh. Being himself.

 

Blogger kahartland said ... (10:04 AM) : 

all of the above!!


www.getobsessed.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous holly said ... (10:09 AM) : 

He looks as if he might be waiting on something or someone...there's such a distance look in his eyes...Talk about a great capture you got one

 

Blogger Nandi said ... (10:29 AM) : 

*Love the emotion in this picture...sweet! ;)

 

Anonymous lj said ... (10:29 AM) : 

I would say reflective, or given the hour maybe sleepy. I love your work, very inspiring.

 

Blogger Matt said ... (10:38 AM) : 

Ah, never so simple. What's with the necklace, and how does he fit a wallet or keys in the pockets of those pants?

http://ourtownssite.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Malicious Mallory said ... (10:45 AM) : 

I would say... regretful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 AM) : 

I see longing and sadness...I want to run up and squeeze him tightly!

Long time lurker, first time commenter - I love your blog :)

 

Anonymous Nada said ... (11:19 AM) : 

Simple is right, I always say less is more.

" I've got one that can see !!! "
http://www.theyliveandwesleep.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 AM) : 

i love how the shoe complemented and completed the whole outfit. even though it was a all black ensemble the necklace, zipper, bangle and velcro made it nothing short of interesting. love the expression on the face. sort of lost, in deep thought (about something sad!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 AM) : 

I would say heartbreakingly reflective.

I love how the green gem on his necklace pops against the black.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

i love everything but his hands and face. i agree that he looks awkward and overly conscious that he is being photographed.

 

Blogger J.Teheren said ... (11:45 AM) : 

i find it reflective. he appears to searching for something not readily available.

Dope shoes!!!

 

Blogger TERI REES WANG said ... (11:53 AM) : 

Yes, it is all about posture for this one. Eyes searching for the horizon, heavy jaw, poetic-tender-heart-hands, That tentative stance.
...And maybe that double pancho layer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 AM) : 

Yup, that's awesome.

Very nice capture.

Passport Foodie

 

Blogger Cristi Silva said ... (12:04 PM) : 

so right on!! :)I want to like hug him or something. You rock

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 PM) : 

Doofus?

 

Anonymous Dawne said ... (12:18 PM) : 

Ah, yes please. Wistful in Comme des Garçons.

 

Blogger iida said ... (12:37 PM) : 

I love love love this photo. His expression seems wistful, the way you feel when you've just seen someone off at the airport...?

I saw someone commented and told you to come to Helsinki, Sart. I so agree. Asap!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:48 PM) : 

This photograph really made me pause and think. The tense, grasping look in his eyes, the delicacy of his hands, and the wistful expression of his posture make for a truly incredible photograph! Even though his eyes aren't looking directly into the lens, they manage to hold such an intense power over the viewer. This photo is so much more about street style, it's a work of art on its own!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 PM) : 

perhaps a dance class would help with the posture and the seeming lack of confidence. might be fun too.

 

Anonymous Emma Howard said ... (1:01 PM) : 

Reflective:

"Sherwood Forest welcomes you to a week-long celebration of the life and times of the world's most famous outlaw - Robin Hood! 2009 will be the 25th year of the festival, which is organised by staff of Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre The fun packed event takes place in and around the Visitor Centre, located near the historic village of Edwinstowe in North Nottinghamshire."

 

Anonymous Ed said ... (1:13 PM) : 

Your photography is wonderful and I love just about everything about this blog. I am particularly grateful that you have almost single handedly turned me on to style and fashion once again. These are interests that I had left behind many years ago. Having said that, I must note that the only thing this picture says to me is "dweeb." However, it is also the first time that I have been moved to comment, so perhaps it is the most effective post ever? If art is meant to elicit a response then this certainly qualifies. I absolutely adore this darn blog, even if this particular picture leaves me thinking that his musings consist of things like, “I am standing here listening to an inner monologue consisting of chirping sounds and the occasional baby talk.”

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:17 PM) : 

I imagine that this is what Eleanor Roosevelt might have looked like if she had been reincarnated as a rather fashionable young man.

 

Blogger Max said ... (1:19 PM) : 

He looks melancholy.

 

Blogger Fashion By He said ... (1:22 PM) : 

great pictures, lovo the photos

fashionbyhe.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:32 PM) : 

I've been a long time reader of your blog and always wondered how I would pose if you ever asked me to. I'm also a very behind the lense personality although most people would say I don't dress very "behind the lense." Looking at this guy, I'd think he's not new to "posing" or VERY new to it. It's almost apologetic, in a dreamy, in the moment but not OF the moment pose. I'm so happy to see one of my long limbed peeps too.

BTW - I had my first sighting of you on Sunday leaving Central Park Summerstage!!! I couldn't get to my camera fast enough. Next time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

Reflective

 

Anonymous J. McC said ... (2:06 PM) : 

GOD, I LoV3 Those Shoes, Margiela Perhaps?

 

Blogger miss sophie said ... (2:58 PM) : 

his velcro hi-tops remind me of the ones i wore in middle school. but i'm mostly intrigued by his awesome jewelry...especially that necklace! from a distance, it looks a bit raw and yet a little delicate at the same time.

 

Anonymous Web Hosting Reviews said ... (3:16 PM) : 

This post really sounds very interesting,for which there is no specific reactions portrayed in the picture.Hence,the model had perfectly made a great confusion to the reader's minds,I still like this.

Very Cool!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:23 PM) : 

I see sad, pensive, heartbroken, unsure, and homesick. Could be wrong. It is unique though

 

Anonymous piatenko said ... (4:02 PM) : 

cold romantics :) i like his hairstyle

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:08 PM) : 

I ordered your book last night! I can not wait to get my hands on it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:18 PM) : 

hello everyone,i m the guy featured in this picture.Well i loved all your comments,and i thank scott for taking a picture of me and all of you that looked at it.
I'm wearing for those who're interested
maison martin margiela velcro shoes
comme des garcons skinny pants
modernico necklace
acne dress
comme des garcons trench coats
dior homme bangles from Slimane era.


best regards

Federico Gabrielloni De Santis

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:49 PM) : 

Reflective, he has great hands.

Great outfit too. I'd wear it, love mono.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:33 PM) : 

I think he looks quite sad.

Mike

 

Blogger AnnaCatherineQ said ... (5:40 PM) : 

I totally agree. He is an inspiration

 

Blogger J.R. said ... (5:41 PM) : 

I'm really into the all black outfit and the necklace. Does anyone know what kind of shoes those are?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:46 PM) : 

Contrived? Trying too hard?

 

Blogger Bronwyn said ... (6:03 PM) : 

Gormless.

 

Anonymous yellowRose said ... (6:09 PM) : 

like a modern Oscar Wilde

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:27 PM) : 

Someone said it earlier: "eyes searching for the horizon"
I took that he was waiting for someone, something... Knee bent, playing with his hands as if he cannot wait and does not know what to do with them. His eyes are squinting into the distance as if he is trying to tell if something has arrived. Obviously this is just my opinion -- this picture is a perfect example of how art can invoke so many different emotions for different people.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:27 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Anonymous paul said ... (7:54 PM) : 

.................. all of the above!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:07 PM) : 

This guy looks like the [evil]* version of "The Dancer" from a few months back.

"Evil" may not be the right word.

It's hard to imagine him doing anything evil with such a docile little mien. I think this might be The Least Threatening Person I Have Ever Seen.

He looks like he would cry if he dropped something.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:38 PM) : 

"i wear black on the outside, because black is how i feel, in the inside..."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 PM) : 

his expression is so cute and sad. i want to cry.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 PM) : 

His jewelry! Don't forget that! Stylish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 PM) : 

I really like the outfit but I hate his facial expression. I get so much more spirit from your other photos and looking at this one the thing that stands out most is that he looks uncomfortable. It looks kind of funny; like he stretched his neck out and tilted his head as if to look somber. It just doesn't really look natural.

 

Blogger DENNI said ... (12:33 AM) : 

TRULLY SEEMS THAT. LOVED THE SHOT.
KISS


NEW POST!



CHICMUSE
http://thechicmuse.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Spardha Malik said ... (3:00 AM) : 

the lost boy.
an over grown kid.. something very teenager-like about him!

 

Blogger Chanelle19 said ... (3:17 AM) : 

Gorgeous photography, while the pic might be mind-blowing.. *wonders what that dude's personality is like*...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:17 AM) : 

I really appreciate this photo -- a clear link between fashion and photo journalism. It's a reminder that those photographed have deeper lives than we can imagine.

 

Blogger Katya said ... (3:56 AM) : 

Pretty outfit!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:41 AM) : 

I'd say not ready.

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (7:47 AM) : 

hmm lots of emotion in this shot..there is something about him.

http://fashionroadkill-halifax.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:58 AM) : 

He is waiting. He's in the present only in so far as it leads to the future. A really beautiful moment of perfectly stilled, perfectly contained departure.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:07 AM) : 

i don't know what you guys are talking about. he just looks extremely awkward in front of the camera.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 AM) : 

I really like what he is wearing. The jacket reminds me of one I have similar to what he is wearing. I like the contrast of his dark outfit against the colours of the background.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (9:31 AM) : 

I'm looking at the photographer's perspective. An excellent timing of capturing this young man's pose.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:55 AM) : 

does he need to go to the washroom?

nice shoes though.

 

Blogger Agathe PHILBÉ said ... (10:21 AM) : 

uh... heartbreaking? wearing such an expensive jacket? definitely not...

 

Anonymous Verdiales said ... (10:27 AM) : 

"heartbreaking? tender? calm? sad? reflective?"

lost. confused. isolated. maudlin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 AM) : 

Ethan Frome: seized with the dread of being alone, feeling trapped like a handcuffed prisoner by his poor choice, and the movement on his jacket expresses his rebellion; he's about to do something to get out of the conflict he feels. Do I go too far?--Ruth

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 PM) : 

what kind of sneakers are those?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:28 PM) : 

Federico Gabrielloni De Santis, you rock!!

 

Blogger squajo said ... (2:21 PM) : 

Reminds me of the great photo by August Sander of the young gypsy man in a jacket and collarless shirt--somewhat forlorn.

 

Blogger Olviya said ... (6:21 PM) : 

i would rather say sensitive...

 

Anonymous An said ... (9:46 PM) : 

His pose is almost wistful, but his face looks pissed. Or like maybe the sun is a little too bright, so he has to squint.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 PM) : 

I dunno, I this this description sums it up best:

http://thirdarmpit.blogspot.com/2009/08/sartorial-satirist.html

 

Blogger Pictures on Page said ... (12:03 AM) : 

I really like this photo. His pose, monochromatic outfit, and facial expression. I'd say reflective.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:00 AM) : 

I think he hurt his thumb and might be contemplating keeping it away from the nail next time he hammers one.
Juuust kidding!

 

Blogger Willow Paule Photography said ... (4:22 AM) : 

Hmmm...I think "angst" when I see this guy.

 

Blogger SequinsandBangles said ... (6:58 AM) : 

He looks lost and tender. Like he's lost his one true love. Beautiful shot though, makes me feel quite sad looking at him :(

http://sequinsandbangles.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Ashleigh Jean said ... (2:01 PM) : 

I love it :] I'd have to say it was a reflective nostalgia.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:25 PM) : 

He's my brother

 

Anonymous oscar said ... (8:42 PM) : 

nice look, but not quite self confident

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 PM) : 

longing.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:14 AM) : 

a little too nerdy for me, although I love the drama of it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Are those shoes Margiela?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:18 PM) : 

He needs to smile, the men in Florence radiate a much more pleasant air of happiness, perhaps he is trying to match his personality to his "intellectual style clothing"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 PM) : 

So young and delicate. Just you wait!
There is much more to come~!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:00 PM) : 

He reminds me of Tom Cruise mixed with someone else. Either way, I'd have a coffee with him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:19 AM) : 

Oh, dear Sart. You have many true intuitions, but this is not one of them: A little too silly like a bad actor (or, oh, dear, actress).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 AM) : 

If Jacques Brel had been in The Strokes...

 

Anonymous Isabella said ... (5:24 PM) : 

Now, this is probably the only photo on this entire site that I don't particularly like. It's not the clothes (wonderful style) or even the way the photo was taken. There's something... soppy about the expression on his face.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 AM) : 

Ta shi Simple Jack!

 

Blogger spin said ... (12:56 PM) : 

that's cute ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:49 PM) : 

He looks like a modern version of a character from a Bruegel painting

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:59 AM) : 

he is picchio!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:39 PM) : 

This shot is my favorite.
To me, it looks like he knows what he wants but he isn't sure if or how he can get it.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting