This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

San Francisco Book Signing at Paul Smith

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, October 26, 2009

San Francisco Book Signing at Paul Smith


Wow, San Francisco was great! Great turnout and really cool people. Dallas was also really cool, but I forgot my stupid camera so you will just have to take my word on that.


A big thanks to all of the people who waited in line for hours.

I took this picture out of the window behind my signing table. It must have taken these people another 2 hours before they got to the front of the line.

Don't let this scare you though, while I was in D.C. three different couples told me they had met at my gallery exhibit two years before. I guess it is not such a bad formula to bring together well-dressed men and women in a cool setting with a few free drinks.


Again I'm so proud of the variety of people - Vintage, Trads, Glams... all across the board.

Comments on "San Francisco Book Signing at Paul Smith"

 

Blogger Singapore Short Stories said ... (7:10 PM) : 

oh that is a great event!

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (7:10 PM) : 

awesome photos!

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous Esmoquin room said ... (7:11 PM) : 

We wait for you in Spain. When are you comming?

Best!
Jose

 

Blogger Barbora said ... (7:21 PM) : 

Such a great energy coming out from those pictures!

barboradudinska.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous davidsl said ... (7:28 PM) : 

so glad to see that sf turned out in numbers with enthusiam for you! sorry to have missed it, but i'm lovin' your book!

 

Anonymous Susan said ... (7:35 PM) : 

What a wonderful stylish group!

http://mushtushi.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Luke said ... (7:42 PM) : 

YESSS! thanks for coming to SF!
it was awesome to see you even if it did take hours.

-L

http://san-york.blogspot.com/
COOLEST BLOG EVER. (i swear)

 

Blogger Dee said ... (7:42 PM) : 

Still kicking myself I missed my chance to have my book signed when you where in my backyard, Dallas.

 

Blogger Barron said ... (7:44 PM) : 

by the time i got there (715) the line wrapped around 3 blocks. it wouldve taken hours to get into the store. sad i missed it! hope you come back soon.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:45 PM) : 

I wait for you in ARGENTINA!!!
I wanna buy your book, but i'm loss, is it not here, right?

AWESOME PHOTOS, MAN!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:50 PM) : 

I wish I could have made it to the D.C. signing! Come back again. I do have one observation. The way I see it, The Sartorialists' key objective is to take candid pics in various locations of people with their own sense of style. I think it's quite humorous to see people "dress up" to go to his book signings. Irony at its best.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:00 PM) : 

One of those people behind the glass door is me! We never actually attempted to make it inside as the lines were insanely long, deservedly so. It was entertaining nevertheless.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:00 PM) : 

Proud to be on The Sart, though only ant-sized:))) Baby steps...

 

Blogger Mikey McFly™ said ... (8:00 PM) : 

Cant wait until you come to philly

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:03 PM) : 

Proud to be on The Sart, though only ant-sized:)) Baby steps...

 

Blogger -ONE-PUCK- said ... (8:06 PM) : 

Hey Scott...cool post for SF.. we did not wait in line but thanks to Guillermo at Paul Smith that let me go inside to take a few snaps...

couple more pics of you here..

http://www.cyclezine.net/2009/10/21/the-sartorialist-book-signing-san-francisco/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:07 PM) : 

Oh I hope you are planning on doing a book signing in Boston sometime soon! Give the well-dressed of New England a chance!

 

Blogger Dis(clothes)ed said ... (8:27 PM) : 

Please come visit Miami! Perhaps at The Webster?

 

Blogger missdreass said ... (8:34 PM) : 

hey scott! great turn out in sf. i meant to tell you when i had met you at paul smith that i am a writer for the examiner.com san francisco (i was so nervous! - i was stuck) my column is called "union square style" i wanted to directly link you to the article i had wrote about you (http://www.examiner.com/x-22792-Union-Square-Style-Examiner~y2009m10d21-The-Sartorialist-by-Scott-Schuman-book-signing-in-Union-Square-today)

it was a pleasure to have met you, and let me tell you, san francisco loves you! please come back soon as you've inspired us all!

xoxo
andrea (and arieson) - "friend of rob" (the one who gave you the bottle of wine :)

missdreass.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Jose Gutiérrez said ... (8:40 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Jose Gutiérrez said ... (8:44 PM) : 

nice...really nice!

Congratulations from Spain!!
When are u comming?¿

 

Anonymous Blade said ... (8:45 PM) : 

It's great to see that all the hard work that goes into producing an original content blog can pay off

Congrats on the great turnouts

Blade

 

Blogger Leslie in Adams Morgan said ... (8:53 PM) : 

@ the Sartorialist: since you mention DC in this post, when are you going to post some street pics from our area? I know we are ungodly conservative but there must be someone here who caught your eye ... :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:57 PM) : 

Congratulations! It is nice to see all this people, beucase it means you're doing a great job!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:01 PM) : 

Lookin good Sart!!

 

Blogger uhuhuhjn said ... (9:08 PM) : 

THEY ALL LOOK EXCITED AND HAPPY. NICE PICTURE.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:10 PM) : 

beautiful pictures
i always love your work

http://foryourSATISFASHION.com

 

Blogger Daktari said ... (9:11 PM) : 

Looks hella fun! Thanks for posting those pictures. Nice to see different fashion trends blend together!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:13 PM) : 

I want my book signed...come to Chicago, please!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:15 PM) : 

Your mass appeal is to be expected, you've stuck a cord...smiles...

 

Blogger Style Scanner said ... (9:17 PM) : 

That looked fun.

 

Anonymous Kat said ... (9:42 PM) : 

i think it's time for you to come to Sydney! Beautiful city and lots of cool people, especially in Surry Hills! Would love to see some Sydney pictures

 

Anonymous Room for Snark said ... (9:43 PM) : 

Beautiful clothes, beautiful pictures, beautiful people! Sad we didn't get to see you.

 

Blogger sd said ... (9:52 PM) : 

i'm so upset I didn't get the chance to attend the event.
i've been thinking and planning on going for days, trying to figure out which BART will get me their the fastest, and if a BART tram could even bring me back after it was all done and finished.
but unfortunately I had to work. it took a lot of self control not to call in sick just to attend the event. but let me tell you the whole time i was working i was bitching and moaning about how much it sucked that I couldn't be in San Francisco getting my book signed haha.
anyway glad the event was a success.

 

Blogger Chateau de Chic said ... (9:54 PM) : 

In the bottom picture, I like JD Elquist's blazer. It looks quite august.

I agree with Anonymous. A tuxedo makes you look just slightly overdressed for a book signing.

 

Anonymous Holly said ... (10:03 PM) : 

Looks like so much fun!!!

 

Blogger Shayne said ... (10:22 PM) : 

Please come to Boston!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 PM) : 

you've got me hooked onto your site i'm saving up to get your book!

 

Blogger Skinned A lie said ... (10:47 PM) : 

That lad in the plaid is Mr. Elquist of SF/NY.

http://www.jelquist.wordress.com

Cheers Mr. Schuman & Thank you Paul Smith for a wonderful evening.

 

Blogger WebMaster said ... (10:50 PM) : 

So cool! Here in Santiago you can do it at the lounge of W Hotel ... sounds good to me!!!

 

Blogger Jenn said ... (11:11 PM) : 

NEAT!!!!

Please don't forget nashville!

 

Blogger Mr. Jerry Seguin said ... (11:17 PM) : 

haha, the closest I'll ever get to be in your blog, and I'm a spot in the back, but I think it's me!

XO JS

 

Blogger Caitlin said ... (11:23 PM) : 

Looked like a blast! I've loved your work for a long time and always looking forward to the next post...regretting not heading down to DC....Hope you make a stop in Philly soon!

 

Blogger MOD PAUL said ... (11:32 PM) : 

Sporting that one arm desk pose again HaHa.. But really it nice to meet you @ Barneys last week.
Cheers!! Mod Paul.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:54 PM) : 

I'm not wearing a tuxedo in this photo. Do you know which one I am?
S

 

Blogger tiBetnChina said ... (11:58 PM) : 

Short anecdote: My younger sister waited 3 hours in queue at Paul Smith to get your book signed for me; I, unfortunately, have been unable to make it to your East Coast signings because of work.

My sister is a shy and sweet academic who is sometimes too frazzled to notice what she's wearing half the time. BUT, after waiting those 3 hours (and skimming your book during that time), she ended up purchasing your book for herself and is now inspired to go shopping with me (and probably, 'shopping' in my closet).

Apparently, "The Sartorialist" isn't only good for the fashion forward, but for bringing siblings closer together as well. Thanks.

 

Blogger g.lock said ... (12:04 AM) : 

i love san fran. the inside of paul smith looks magical--like the dark.

coming to salt lake city at all for your book signing tour?

 

Blogger C A said ... (12:38 AM) : 

Scott you look so great in the picture, your blue eyes and your suit makes you a "Blue eyes, blue eyes..." face for Ralph Lauren's perfume.

PS: when do you come to Portugal? There are thousands of fashionistas here too! ;)

@ MaisonChaplin.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Anthony Burke said ... (12:39 AM) : 

Congratulations on how well your book is going. I have always loved your blog, and it has inspired me to start my own a few days ago. streetspaghetti.blogspot.com
It is about street Art, fashion and design and I would love to get your opinion about it!!
Keep up the edgy and inspirational work!

 

Blogger Keebuhm said ... (12:53 AM) : 

I really wanted to go to this but couldn't make time for it... It looks amazing!

 

Anonymous Ezra Miranda said ... (1:31 AM) : 

It was a pleasure meeting you Scott. This event will be history for San Francisco. Congratulations on your book and your success with The Sartorialist. I hope you make it back to San Francisco again.

All the Best,

The man in the "Tux"

 

Blogger BlumeBloom said ... (1:33 AM) : 

That looks like so much fun! I wish I could've make it into the city for your LA signing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:35 AM) : 

I'm coming to your next New York signing! I've been criminally single forever; my married friends stay in and can't be bothered to set me up, except when they DO, which is far far worse. Dating is hell. See you in NYC.

 

Blogger Victoria said ... (1:45 AM) : 

I've commented so many times, but I love you! Thank you again for coming to SF! YAY for the SF pics! I've been waiting for them to make their debut.

Yes, it did take hours...3.5 hours to be exact, but it was well worth it. Trying to find a great frame for the photo that you signed of Carine Roitfeld for me!

P.S. Thanks for letting me take the picture on my good side. ;)

xoxo,
Victoria

 

Blogger ChoeNY said ... (3:02 AM) : 

when you come to Bombay??

 

Blogger JJ Casas (jcasasphotography.com) said ... (4:49 AM) : 

It was great meeting you Scott! I was the one who asked if you'd ever shoot in San Francisco! I posted up a small post on the experience on my blog, check it out if you can! All the best.

http://jcasasphotography.blogspot.com/2009/10/book-signing-scott-schuman-aka.html

 

Blogger Chateau de Chic said ... (4:50 AM) : 

Hey Scott, of course I know which one you are! I was talking about the gentleman between you and JD. I definitely think it's tasteful for someone to wear a suit to their OWN book signing.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:36 AM) : 

Why don't you come to Beijing?

The sad thing is blogspot.com is blocked in China, most of Chinese cannot read your blog.

 

Anonymous garciamadrid said ... (6:40 AM) : 

congratulations!!!!!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:59 AM) : 

I live in San Fran and love it. I just wish my family was with me as well. I visit lake city every weekend, Its awesome.

SAM
http://99.dresstailor.net

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:48 AM) : 

GREAT shots, like always.

Mr.G

Blog it! >> http://fashionmeetscologne.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Mike R said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Since nobody has said anything -- I have to say the lady in the red skirt really looks fab! Great style and panache with the scarf.

Lovely.

Mike

michaelrehderdesign.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Christian said ... (10:09 AM) : 

Love the city, love the store! The one in LA is also quite good.

www.lifebychristian.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Exciting event in SF! Love the beautiful vintage girl in the chair - wow!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 AM) : 

Wow. You're a phenom. That's interesting. But you haven't mentioned Los Angeles. We tried to get to the Beverly Center with our book, but traffic defeated us. PLEASE mention L.A.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (11:35 AM) : 

Can't wait for your 2nd book !
Would consider making a second one ?
...
It's such a great inspirational to have around when you just don't know what to wear in the morning !
...
PS can't wait to see an "Eva" shot again !

 

Anonymous J.Elquist said ... (11:37 AM) : 

Amazing turn out Scott, It's inspiring to see people flock for there chance to meet the man behind many of our inspiration. Hope to see you in NY....

 

Blogger East Coast-er Momma said ... (11:58 AM) : 

*sigh* I think I have a crush on you. Wait. That's very unOrthodox of me. I'm married.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 PM) : 

are you coming to germany too?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:38 PM) : 

So sorry to miss! Was silly enough to get there at 7:15, and lines were already hours long. Had to bail after a couple hours....devastated! Was glad to see SF show up in style. Please come back!

 

Blogger VeeKaye said ... (1:47 PM) : 

a sartorial rat pack. you're looking hunky scott. are you available?

 

Anonymous Stephen said ... (5:10 PM) : 

Thank you for coming to San Francisco. I was unable to go to the signing to say so personally. Please come back to take more photos. San Francisco knows how to dress, regardless of our reputation.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:34 PM) : 

A great feast of friends. Nice pics & people.

 

Anonymous jenny said ... (6:59 PM) : 

Salut! Great to meet you at the book signing in Dallas. I echoed some of your readers' amazement in meeting so many "cool" people in one place. I take it as the simple joy of meeting like-minded people that aren't superficial or frivolous just because they pay attention to style. And, I liked what you said about seeing your subjects as abstract people with only fashion identities.

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (7:54 PM) : 

i wish you had selected my photo for the dc book signing.

 

Blogger Miguel said ... (8:23 PM) : 

Great pic... Love the brown & blue jacket....

 

Blogger TheHypeAround... said ... (9:01 PM) : 

Great shots! I love the elegant retro look of the young lady dressed in cream and red! she is sexy AND curvy!

 

Anonymous Allie Tishgart said ... (9:22 PM) : 

I am melancholy sad that the one weekend you were in San Francisco I was gone, and your book sat home alone on my shelf. I don't suppose you need an 18 year old intern?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:30 PM) : 

You are a lucky man. I envy your "job".

Thank you for making me smile and for being a wonderful outlet for my love of a fashion.

Ok, one more time please come to St. Louis.

Ciao and happy travels.

Kim

P.S. Wonderful bookstore...Left Bank Books.

 

Anonymous Ella said ... (2:04 AM) : 

Scott-
It was a big pleasure meeting you in SF. You were even more handsome in person. I appreciate the information you gave us. I hope the book helps us in our future endeavors. Again, hope to see you soon. Hopefully sooner then later and in Milan next time. Enjoy the rest of your tour. Lots of love from Sf. xo- Ella & Lui
fashionwithaview.blogspot.com

 

Blogger nothingness said ... (12:02 PM) : 

th last photo is so gorg

www.jetblackdye.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:55 PM) : 

Sorry I missed this!
Very worried about the person near the top that writes for examiner.com and doesn't know her verb tense- that's not right!

 

Blogger gold_dust_woman said ... (6:43 PM) : 

It was a lovely night @ Paul Smith. I am now lusting after some of the clothes in the men's section after waiting in line amongst them!
I didn't know until I was reading blogs the next day that you are also from Indiana. There's something nice about knowing you're from my home state. I agree with everyone else who has urged you to shoot in SF- we've got some amazing style going on here and the most beautiful scenery in the states.
Who knows, maybe we'll run across each other this winter in Indy! I'll have my holiday best on.
Thanks for all the inspiration-
b

 

Blogger Tundrababe said ... (10:09 PM) : 

What a great looking group!

 

Blogger Oksana said ... (4:14 AM) : 

I couldn't make it this time, so I'm really hoping you will pay another visit to San Francisco soon!

I hope you liked our city!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:13 PM) : 

Wow, the red head remains me of molly ringwald for some reason. Totally beautiful

 

Anonymous E said ... (12:55 PM) : 

Since when has "vintage" been a type of person? Ugh.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:24 PM) : 

Handsome...! (the blue eyes guy:)

Cheers from paris
Monica

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:11 AM) : 

oh that is a great event! One of those people behind the glass door is me! We never actually attempted to make it inside as the lines were insanely long, deservedly so. It was entertaining nevertheless.
SEO--SEO

 

Blogger rockstarbabu said ... (5:37 AM) : 

I love the elegant retro look of the young lady dressed in cream and red! she is sexy AND curvy! What a great looking group
SEO--SEO



VIKAS

 

Blogger Tim McFarlane said ... (11:43 PM) : 

Great shots! I'm glad your tour has turned out so well. love the 'vintage' look on the lady in the second to last shot.

 

Blogger eye of the gate said ... (1:58 PM) : 

The only reason why I didn't go was because I was out of town. The couple of hour wait is completely worth it :(

Thanks for being such a great inspiration!

J

www.eyeofthegate.com

 

Anonymous Daved Jone said ... (5:14 PM) : 

Lol.. cute pictures, i am also planning to visit sydney in december. i need an advice is december the right month to visit sydney because i have heard that winter and summer season are very different in australia than rest of the world.

 

Anonymous Bunny said ... (1:06 AM) : 

Awww, I wish I'd known about this! October was crazy busy & I'm just now catching up on your blog. :'(

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting