This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Alexander McQueen Shop Window, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, January 31, 2010

On the Street....Alexander McQueen Shop Window, NYC

Alexander McQueen and Dries Van Noten were the two shows I was most excited to see during my first Paris fashion week.

To me, McQueen represented the drama of fashion. He represented the conflict and harmony of being a craftsman and an artist - Savile Row training, runway dreaming.


There are people in fashion I always figured I'd meet sooner or later.
I'd meet them in a very natural way (introduced by a mutual friend at a party or something) and the encounter would be so much more meaningful that way. McQueen was one of those people I felt I had time to meet. I almost wanted to save him for later. Not a conscious effort but just a concept. Well...I'm sad that won't be the case.

I hope we all remember him for the genius he brought to fashion.




ps. I'm rereading what I wrote and what has been written on other sites and blogs.

All very nice but I still feel so unsatisfied, so empty, even a little mad.

When a bigtime movie star or politician dies someone like Tom Brokaw has always been there to help put it into perspective.

If it was a sports star, fans would talk about it for days on talk radio.

However, for someone that loves fashion Alexander McQueen is just gone and no one seems to be able to make sense of it.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere to turn to make it feel right or understandable.

I don't have any answers for you either. All I know is this sucks.

Comments on "On the Street....Alexander McQueen Shop Window, NYC"

 

Blogger Nicole Cik said ... (6:14 PM) : 

:( I can't believe it.

 

Blogger Anya said ... (6:15 PM) : 

I'm still in shock. He will be greatly missed. True artist.

 

Blogger pdaervo said ... (6:15 PM) : 

RIP Alexander McQueen. :(

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 PM) : 

Well said. It's a huge loss for fashion and art and where they meet.

 

Anonymous Steph said ... (6:16 PM) : 

Very well said. I am in shock at the news. Immense, immense, immense talent.

 

Blogger IRIS said ... (6:16 PM) : 

this is a sad day.
we all admire mcqueen for his genius and amazing creativity.
we will never forget him... he brought a new era for fashion. rip.

 

Blogger DSA said ... (6:17 PM) : 

McQueen was the reason I entered the fashion world.. he's always been the the most refreshingly creative designers. I will always remember him for his articulate vocabulary of drama and passion..

 

Anonymous Jeanlaid Alvarez said ... (6:17 PM) : 

One of the greatest of our time...R.I.P. Alexander McQueen.

http://jeanlaidalvarez.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous iconjane said ... (6:17 PM) : 

there is no way that he will be forgotten...

 

Anonymous Connie @ Sogni e Sorrisi said ... (6:19 PM) : 

A tragic loss. My prayers to his family and friends.

R.I.P.

 

Blogger GwenS said ... (6:21 PM) : 

A soul of creativity with talent that was breathtaking.

His loss leaves one at a loss for words.

 

Blogger so said ... (6:21 PM) : 

he was my absolute favorite!!
i'm in shock & deeply saddened by this news...

 

Anonymous Sukhpreet said ... (6:23 PM) : 

"The conflict and harmony of being a craftsman and an artist": what a great articulation of McQueen's genius. I too hope that he will be remembered for it; that is surely what he deserves.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:23 PM) : 

I'm a visual artist I recently cross posted the latest McQueen Men's collection, FW 10, to my Facebook profile with the caption, " I feel I learn more about contemporary life looking at McQueen than most gallery shows in NY." Many friends agreed. There's always a lot of talk about the art/fashion crossover- for me, he was one of the few who truely made impacts in both arenas. I'm devastated by his loss. What a tragedy. God bless.

 

Anonymous Alexandra said ... (6:25 PM) : 

Your words were just perfect...he was a real artist , his sense of fashion was supreme...he really was a fashion genious...his work will be missed

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:27 PM) : 

Here's to an individual with an unfailing vision of stunning nightmares in space that reminded everyone of what it means to create art.

 

Anonymous Elana Robinson said ... (6:28 PM) : 

He will be greatly missed!

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (6:35 PM) : 

Unique!
A genious!

True talent above commercial appeal, an artist that made a huge contribution to all.

 

Blogger MISS GLITZY said ... (6:36 PM) : 

We will

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:36 PM) : 

A tribute is in order. He was a real artist, daring and dark and finding beauty under stones most forget to overturn. He was fearless, bringing to light "uncomfortable" topics and showing us all the beauty we didn't see at first glance.

He will be truly missed and forever idolized.

 

Blogger B. Boo said ... (6:37 PM) : 

NO! I had just discovered him as one of my favorite and most inspiring artists! This is so tragic!

 

Blogger C A said ... (6:37 PM) : 

I am so devastated, he was my God of fashion.. What did you do to your life Lee..

 

Blogger little J said ... (6:37 PM) : 

Fashion lost a genius today.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:39 PM) : 

R.I.P

 

Blogger JAJOGRI said ... (6:46 PM) : 

VERY SAD DAY AS WE LOST ONE OF A KIND IN FASHION. MCQUEEN WILL BE THERE ALWAYS.

 

Blogger This love gets easier the more it's sung to said ... (6:46 PM) : 

I felt my heart break this morning when I got the news. This man was my inspiration to get into the world of fashion, and I too dreamed of meeting him one day. I still can't wrap my head around never seeing a new McQueen collection. RIP Lee, the world will be a less glamourous place without you.

 

Blogger poppy bird. said ... (6:49 PM) : 

may he eternally rest among the angels.
he is sure to live on.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:49 PM) : 

R.I.P. Lee.

 

Anonymous anotherformofsilence.wordpress.com said ... (6:52 PM) : 

And he just lost his mother:(

I feel so so sad, for that whole family.

RIP, your art is beautiful.

 

Blogger The Concrete Commentator said ... (6:54 PM) : 

agreed!! I'll miss him.

 

Blogger QuotidianEditorialist said ... (6:56 PM) : 

A heartbreaking loss of staggering genius. RIP Lee McQueen :(

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:58 PM) : 

he helped me have bigger, more astonishing dreams. his designs surprised me, pushed me, taught me to see newly.

I wish it weren't true that he's died.

Nothing will fill his absence but our continuing admiration for his vision.

 

Anonymous Jane said ... (6:59 PM) : 

A genius indeed. So beautiful. So brave. So fun. I have only one pair of designer shoes - his. He was a true artist. I'm so sad. Love you, beautiful McQueen.

 

Anonymous cherylfenton said ... (7:00 PM) : 

i agree that this is flying under the radar, whereas with other industry losses they almost wail from the rooftops with camera crews. It was a staggering tragedy, one which we will never understand. whatever troubled him, he is at peace now. he will live on in his designs. RIP

 

Blogger zincink said ... (7:02 PM) : 

I had to read the news five times just to make sure I didn't comprehend something wrong.

He was an artist and most innovative fashion minds of our time. The only fashion designer I ever sent a note to say how much I admire his work. I don't know if he ever received it but I figured my fashion muse would always inspire people across the world.

I am lost for words. Rest in Peace.

 

Blogger indigo warrior said ... (7:02 PM) : 

It's like a little bit of the world's magic is gone. And a bit of the sparkle too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:03 PM) : 

Shade of the genius is the sadness

 

Anonymous Lea said ... (7:03 PM) : 

Truly devasting, the fashion world will never be the same again.

 

Anonymous La kat said ... (7:03 PM) : 

Lee was a true genius... He left way to early...it is so hard to understand, but there were indeed signs, a cry for help. RIP Lee

 

Blogger The Shitty Astrologer said ... (7:04 PM) : 

So sad. The fashion world will feel the void no doubt...

 

Blogger Niki said ... (7:05 PM) : 

McQueen is the epitome of the word CREATIVE. I will miss his colourful shows

 

Blogger KÍA said ... (7:06 PM) : 

His magical vision live forever within ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:06 PM) : 

I am am died hard fan of AMQ,this morning at BCBG show a friend told me about this...kidding????so sad!RIP

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:08 PM) : 

He would always make a explosive impression, and now there's only the deafening silence. He elevated the very notion of fashion, delivering in terms of artistic expression and not marketing or trends. Cheers for the memories - you are greatly missed.

 

Blogger mychameleon said ... (7:11 PM) : 

A beauitful post - and you are so right - our can anyone explain this tragic loss. Its almost like we now feel robbed. And also more upsetting is that he lived in this darkness for so long.
A true genius

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (7:11 PM) : 

Huge loss for his family, friends and the fashion world - he had so much more to give.

 

Blogger Lucy Laucht said ... (7:13 PM) : 

A devastating and mournful loss for both the fashion and art worlds- it's difficult to articulate with words but I think you did a fitting job.

 

Blogger Miriam Parkman said ... (7:15 PM) : 

I'm not so "into" fashion anymore, but when I was and when I really started to get an interest in it Alexander McQueen was one of the first to really catch my attention.
His work, always in between art and fashion, inspired me a lot.
Today when I rather check 40's magazines and old photoalbums for inspiration, he still inspires me.
He never became boring.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (7:15 PM) : 

It is so sad...

 

Blogger needle+thread said ... (7:16 PM) : 

these are the places we can come together and hear. you're right that it won't be a fitting, public tribute, not what we'd get for someone more mainstream, but in places like these, where those who love fashion come together, we can commiserate, lament the loss and remember his genius.

i'm saddened and shocked. to think there won't be collections to anticipate, pictures to pour over... my heart breaks a little.

 

Anonymous Nancy said ... (7:17 PM) : 

Alexander McQueen. An artistic genius. An explosion of creativity and passion like no other. Such gratitude for the beauty he brought into this world and an aching for his early departure. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

 

Anonymous hakkamui said ... (7:21 PM) : 

Perhaps is to respect what its official site has requested. That notwithstanding, I do wish to know more, hear more, read more on Lee McQueen.
Take care, don't get suck in.

 

Blogger Joann K said ... (7:22 PM) : 

RIP LeeAlexander Mcqueen!
One of the great artists of fashion.
The man has left us but what it represents and its work will always be there!

(sorry for my english im french)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 PM) : 

Like all of his devoted fans and followers, McQueen always left you with a full stomach of inspiration and imagination after a show, yet we were always eager for more, no matter how full. Now we may not be able to indulge in his wildness and dreams come to life on the runway anymore, but his presence dwells on with stunning livelihood that the industry will surely deem equally legendary and beautiful.

 

Blogger Peter Rock Ternes said ... (7:26 PM) : 

show us something of his... your favorites

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:27 PM) : 

There is a fine line between genius and madness. He will go down in fashion history as iconic. His skill and vision a rare talent.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:29 PM) : 

well put

 

Anonymous desertwind said ... (7:30 PM) : 

Maybe tomorrow we can find the words.

Not today.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 PM) : 

your p.s. comments express my sentiments exactly... i'm winded

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 PM) : 

The most important thing to remember is not this tragedy, but the mark he left on people and fashion with his art.

It is not about the destination, but about the journey to it.

I hope left this place in peace with himself. I know he will be rememvered as a magical person with a fascinating pashion for the craftmanship that is called fashion.

I can really appreciate your words dear Sartorialist.

Lee, you will be missed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:34 PM) : 

so shocking... I nearly cried.

 

Blogger Molly Gertenbach said ... (7:34 PM) : 

I still remember the first time I ever heard of Alexander McQueen, and what pieces of his I had seen. They took my breath away. Every year, he is always one of the designers I am most excited to see, and every year he rises above and beyond my expectations for that years collection.
He was such a genius, and the world simply won't be the same kind of place without him.
I had always dreamed of meeting him as well, I am saddened to know that know I will never get the chance to.
dear Mr. McQueen, you will be forever loved and forever missed in the world of fashion.

 

Blogger Beauty Is Diverse said ... (7:35 PM) : 

R.I.P Alexander Mcqueen.

 

Anonymous Luisy said ... (7:36 PM) : 

No words can describe how devastating this tragedy is for us that loved his work.
R.I.P. Lee.

 

Anonymous Paolo said ... (7:37 PM) : 

What a Tragedy, what a Loss; for fashion, of course, and for art, as well. It's hours I'm thinkin' about and still i can't make sense of it. I'm shocked.
RIP Alex, we'll miss you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:39 PM) : 

Such a great loss. I'm so deeply saddened that one so loved by so many could not be helped and this dreadful loss avoided. Where does it all go so wrong?

 

Blogger Neekoh said ... (7:39 PM) : 

It's amazing, but this is exactly how I feel. Though not in the trenches of fashion quite like you, Scott, I always figured I'd somehow, someway meet McQueen. His shows and inspirations were what I looked for in my morning news/blog feeds. And there's just something so somber about his passing... like, it's not a closed door, but just an open field with no direction, yet all the direction in the world. I don't know if that makes sense. But it does suck.

 

Anonymous FromASavileRowPunk said ... (7:40 PM) : 

R.I.P.! not just fashionistas will miss You, also all the people who don't know and will never know that the clothes they are wearing have been inspired by one of your shows, your lines, your genious mind; even those people will recognize that something's missing in the world of fashion!!!

 

Blogger Villa Nellcote said ... (7:45 PM) : 

Very sad xxx

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:48 PM) : 

always my idol. R.I.P Lee McQueen and his beloved Mum.

 

Blogger Hek said ... (7:53 PM) : 

Let's just hope that his soul will find peace now. He gave the world so much beauty, and we can only be thankful. He will truly be missed.

 

Anonymous r.e.v.f. said ... (7:54 PM) : 

i really feel the same way sart and have been in somber outrage all day:

why don't people care more?!

the average person might not know who he is but to the fashion world, he may as well have been the pope. i felt pain today like i have not felt for a celebrity since princess diana's death. people touch our lives with their celebrity in small ways but alexander mcqueen is a mogul, an icon, an inspiration to the fashion world, pop culture, designers and artists everywhere.

his pain must have been immense. none of us want to imagine what it must have been like to lose his mother at such a crucial time, to have such a huge pressure of scheduling and tying up lose ends for his shows while trying to find the time to mourn. so overwhelming it must have been for him.

my heart hurts. suicide is always a tragedy and you always want to say, while selfishly angry, that you didn't want to lose that person out of this world for the sake of ALL the things they have provided us with. the beauty he brought into this world is irreplaceable. it is a shame none of us will get to see his work, that you will never get to shake his hand.

i only hope that he is at peace now.

gianni must be lonely without competition up there in the clouds. i'm sure the runway is endless. i'm sure he brought with him his sheers and pins.

the show must go on.

thank you for all that you do.

 

Anonymous r.e.v.f. said ... (7:56 PM) : 

i really feel the same way sart and have been in somber outrage all day:

why don't people care more?!

the average person might not know who he is but to the fashion world, he may as well have been the pope. i felt pain today like i have not felt for a celebrity since princess diana's death. people touch our lives with their celebrity in small ways but alexander mcqueen is a mogul, an icon, an inspiration to the fashion world, pop culture, designers and artists everywhere.

his pain must have been immense. none of us want to imagine what it must have been like to lose his mother at such a crucial time, to have such a huge pressure of scheduling and tying up lose ends for his shows while trying to find the time to mourn. so overwhelming it must have been for him.

my heart hurts. suicide is always a tragedy and you always want to say, while selfishly angry, that you didn't want to lose that person out of this world for the sake of ALL the things they have provided us with. the beauty he brought into this world is irreplaceable. it is a shame none of us will get to see his work, that you will never get to shake his hand.

i only hope that he is at peace now.

gianni must be lonely without competition up there in the clouds. i'm sure the runway is endless. i'm sure he brought with him his sheers and pins.

the show must go on.

thank you for all that you do.

 

Blogger Robert said ... (7:57 PM) : 

Cathy Horyn left a lovely post on her blog.
As ususual she articulates so much w/ so little.

Such a shock.

So young, so much more to give.

 

Anonymous yoohoobooboo said ... (7:57 PM) : 

I simply cannot believe it, this news is extremely sad. We are losing so many of our masters: Lacroix(bankrupt), Valentino(pushed out), and now McQueen. I remember his very first fashion interview with then CNN fashion correspondant Elsa Klench and how incredibly shy he was, so much that he did the interview with his back to the camera. Since that first interview he slowly came out of his shell but I feel he never has fully accepted the glare of media. He has also brought attention to many London designers like Phillip Treacy and many jewelry designers. I am sure Alexander McQueen and Isabella Blow are having a romp up there with his mum. I will miss his vision and his craft. RIP

 

Blogger doubledcherry said ... (8:06 PM) : 

Scott it is so tragic, it is so not fair and more so because it does not make any sense. For someone like McQueen who had all the available resources (many friends, family, status, wealth, respect) to help him cope, to seek professional help. To be honest I have been in that very dark place. You feel no one can help you, no one can understand what it is you're going through and there is but one solution. Sadly he sought refuge by other means. It's just so sad to loose such a talented artist and a person who meant so much to so many.

 

Blogger The Fashionstar said ... (8:10 PM) : 

I was also shocked this morning - it's so horrible. And I also don't feel like it's gotten enough attention it's like no one really cares because he's apart of the fashion world.

 

Blogger Anneliese said ... (8:11 PM) : 

I feel very sad. He and his creations were fantastic and I've always been a fan. I just couldn't believe when I read about his death. He'll be missed! R.I.P. Alexander McQueen.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:11 PM) : 

I think you put that very well. There isn't going to be an understandable answer. It is just incredibly sad.

 

Blogger Emily said ... (8:12 PM) : 

I agree with you. There are no words to describe the loss of someone so influential and talented. We all must do our part to make sure that his fashion line remains forever.

xx

 

Blogger The Fashionstar said ... (8:12 PM) : 

And the funny thing is fashion has such an incredible influence on our society and culture, yet the mainstream world doesn't really respect the true artists or give them enough props. I just hope he rests in peace - the whole situation is really sad.

 

Anonymous Mister B said ... (8:18 PM) : 

The loss of Mr. McQueen has been felt through those who truly recognized his aspirations and vision within the industry. Though not memorialized in the manner of an athlete or common celebrity, it is best that those who mourn his loss are the one's who understand him best, and appreciate his genius within the contribution to art and fashion. We may not be able to turn to our spouse, friend, or television to understand or ease our mourning, but never shy away from mentioning his name and how he impacted you. Make them understand McQueen was an inspiration and a showman. It is only natural we continue to remember him for who he was.

 

Blogger emilia said ... (8:19 PM) : 

the terrible thing is after knowing about his death i had no one to turn to, no one around my world who would know and appreciate what a genious he was. movie stars with not a quarter of his talent die and the whole planet seems to stop for a split of second. its a shame that i feel i cant be fair whit his greatness cause i cant share my feelings... and being silent about something is lije denying its . a genius, a man who created pieces that should be shown in museums, should be forever remembered and talked about. not just those interested in fashion should mourn: every sensible man or woman should. R.I.P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:20 PM) : 

R.I.P Mcqueen

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:27 PM) : 

Your post made me cry; the first words I've read about this great loss to bring it home to me.

Could we call for Anna Wintour to do something? This loss needs to be documented and acknowledged in a big way, and this is a perfect opportunity for depression awareness to be talked about and for the millions of people suffering worldwide to know they are NOT alone.

 

Anonymous Tyler said ... (8:27 PM) : 

Hours after the death of an icon not one iota was mentioned on any tv news providers telecast, not one news providers home page, and will most likely be tucked away in a small editorial or small nook in the obituaries section. Yet, as we speak CNN in the states is playing non-stop coverage on a "simple" procedure performed on Fmr. President Bill Clinton. Maybe, if it was to much to ask, the nations of the world could refrain from yellow-journalism of the last century and focus on the facts, the news that actually matters, rather than what captivates ones mind.

 

Blogger Maria said ... (8:28 PM) : 

I totally agree with your last statement. He was a designer and an artist. He was thought provoking and changed the face of fashion and for that he deserves a proper mention.

 

Anonymous Nicole said ... (8:33 PM) : 

I am so sad that we lost such a great artist today. His work was a constant source of inspiration. Dammit.

 

Blogger RR said ... (8:35 PM) : 

well put, for what it's worth. couldn't have said it any better with your last line.

 

Blogger Anna Marie said ... (8:38 PM) : 

because mcqueen was the first designer i truly fell in love with, in fact the reason i fell in love with fashion at all, i feel like a little piece of my past has died as well. that may sound selfish, but most of my creative ideas in high school revolved around mcqueen. its like saying goodbye to an era, which i'm not ready to do at all. not just an era for me.. mcqueen had such an impact that i think he created a sort of "fashion era" for many,many people. and nobody is ready to close that book.

 

Blogger Maria Irene said ... (8:40 PM) : 

I completely agree. There are no words to describe it. It's just so sad.

 

Blogger Alexandra said ... (8:42 PM) : 

Oh thank you, thank you for this. I think we are all feeling the same sense of outrage and sadness that someone of McQueen's stature and genius is gone, yet all the mainstream media will drop the story because he's "just" a designer.

What a loss, made all the more difficult to bear.

 

Blogger C. Anne said ... (8:43 PM) : 

I completely agree. The news was almost unbelievable when I first heard it, it took awhile to sink in.

He was an amazing talent, someone who I felt truly put his heart and soul into every collection. I immediately looked back at images from his archived runway shows and was once again inspired.

 

Blogger bvann said ... (8:46 PM) : 

I was at work when I heard and had to go in the bathroom and cry for a few minutes. He was such an inspiration to me as a craftsman and a showman.
His quiet bashful smile after every one of his shows and his willingness to put things out there that were just the opposite of that quiet bashful smile. The world has lost so much.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:48 PM) : 

To take your own life is such a tragedy. We all need to look after each other and really reach out to people when they need us, instead of assuming that there is already someone else doing it.

 

Blogger lola said ... (8:49 PM) : 

i agree, this sucks. i'm still in shock.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 PM) : 

Your words echo my own thoughts and emotions about this tragedy so perfectly - the sorrow, shock, disappointment, even anger, that I and countless other people have been feeling since hearing the news. His work truly did touch my life, and the entire way I view fashion.

"All I know is this sucks."

 

Blogger D said ... (8:51 PM) : 

I couldnt have put it better myself

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 PM) : 

Do you actually mean Walter Cronkite and not Tom Brokaw?

 

Blogger Jessica said ... (8:53 PM) : 

I feel the SAME way! My friend texted me the news this afternoon and my jaw dropped! I always look forward to his shows, he truly puts art into his fashion and is so unique, there will be a hole left without him here!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 PM) : 

The (fashion) world has lost a wonderful and very special person. Truly a genius-who will be greatly missed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 PM) : 

you hit the nail on the head. i thought i had plenty of time to enjoy his work and maybe one day see his show in person. i looked up to him as a designer... he was never afraid of fashion. it was obvious to me that he put his heart and soul into every garment he created. i feel an emptiness in my soul. no one can do what he did.

 

Blogger tanvi said ... (8:55 PM) : 

you're right. there's only emptiness that words cant express. thank you for saying exactly what this is- a situation that sucks and for which there are no answers and may never be

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:00 PM) : 

I ...... hhhhhh ....
Agreed on the sucks. And the cognitive and metaphysical dissonance.

hhhhhhh ....

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:04 PM) : 

In respect to your post script, I really do feel as if I will forever be in shock.

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (9:04 PM) : 

This is so sad!

You would think with all the Fashion shows on television now, someone would come out with a Fashion News Channel. It could be used not only for fashion info, but also to pay tribute to those in the industry icons who have passed.

Thank you for this wonderful post!

My prayers are with his friends & family during this difficult time.

 

Anonymous CountyMuseum said ... (9:15 PM) : 

Feeling hurt and angry, and confused.

But mostly sad about losing a sensitive,creative soul that gave so much to those of us who love and live for Art.

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (9:20 PM) : 

Scott,

Here is a link you might be interested in that did a write up about his life & shows a video.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/feb/11/alexander-mcqueen-death-fashion-mourn

 

Blogger jungissara said ... (9:34 PM) : 

lee mcqueen RIP fashion genius

 

Blogger Prutha Raithatha said ... (9:34 PM) : 

i was still under disbelief that michael jackson was no longer with us and now lee.... whats going on? its seems like all the ppl i feel r major influences in my life are being taken away from me.... i just dont get it.. y?
http://www.donotshoeme.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Ana T. said ... (9:40 PM) : 

People cannot make sense of a death like his because they cannot understand the art he brought to the world. To most people fashion is not considered art yet. Fools. I heard about it on the radio this morning and was so sad all day long. He was indeed a brilliant mind.

 

Blogger Vee said ... (9:41 PM) : 

I have been in shock since I heard and i still am in shock now.

Such a huge loss of such an incredible man. Fashion was his art and he was brilliant at it and so his memory will live on because of his art and inspire many generations to come I am sure of, as he has inspired me.

My thoughts go out to his friends and family.

This truly sucks.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:45 PM) : 

Alexander McQueen!!!! I'll miss him! I'm still in shock .

 

Blogger Christina Song said ... (9:48 PM) : 

rip mcqueen

 

Anonymous ERIX said ... (9:48 PM) : 

He is genious and talented. So shock to hear the news this morning!
....its sad...

 

Blogger TheMinx said ... (9:52 PM) : 

although you say that you're unsatisfied with what you've written, your words are the most appropriate and eloquent that I've read. You have perfectly encompassed how I, and I'm sure many others, are feeling right now. It is truly a tragedy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 PM) : 

big loss... talent like him....
im still in shock, hope his family n friends are well...

 

Blogger fashion icons said ... (9:52 PM) : 

is true, the thing is that no one was expecting this, i guess thats why there are no words, only that we all know how much of an artist he was and how missed he will be.

 

Blogger PunkiMeowMeow said ... (9:56 PM) : 

Well said. It does suck big time!
I remember seeing him at The British Invasion Part II party that Saks held in the mid 90's. It was the time when McQueen, Philip Treacy, Stella McCartney, Hussein Chalayan and other British designers were taking the fashion world by storm. It was a great time. Alas, I didn't get to personally meet him personally. RIP (Lee) Alexander McQueen.

 

Blogger Dino said ... (9:57 PM) : 

stuck with grief; it's too much to take.. I feel the same in the sense that I hope to meet him one day.

an inspiration; his work marked his place as genius.

McQueen, you will be missed.
RIP

 

Anonymous Natashia said ... (10:07 PM) : 

it does suck..
ive always wanted to own something of his, but now i feel if i do go buy something it's only going to be because he died, as opposed to genuinely liking his work.

 

Anonymous Marjorie's Closet said ... (10:16 PM) : 

I completly agree with your statement =(

 

Blogger Anja Z said ... (10:18 PM) : 

Thank you Scott for a thoughtful memorium. I was looking for places to turn to for some sense and tribute and I knew that I would find it here.

The world has lost an invigorating perspective, a provocative voice, a raw talent. Hopefully, people will only find more ways to celebrate Mr. McQueen's life and work in the coming days.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 PM) : 

this is the saddest news

 

Anonymous AnonymousJK said ... (10:29 PM) : 

I hope in death he finds the peace that he couldn't find in life! No one knows why these things happen, but they do. We grieve the loss of a genius however; the genius grieved many things and made the ultimate decision to end that grieving. Be happy that he lived and was able to inspire so many, and be happy that he too is happy now...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 PM) : 

I'm still in shock.I cannot find the words right now.

 

Anonymous Frida said ... (10:43 PM) : 

I wept...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:44 PM) : 

I'm still in shock.I cannot find the words right now.

 

Anonymous Maija said ... (10:49 PM) : 

He was one my first, big, fashion inspiratiors. I started watching runway shows at the age of 12, during the nineties. One of the most influential shows I've seen to this day was by him, the one were the wedding dress was sprayed on in the end of the show.

He was a man of great words as well as of great art in fashion.

I wonder, if his greatest inspiration, or a muse, was his mother.

RIP.

 

Blogger Maureen Wanket said ... (10:50 PM) : 

An exciting and beautiful artist. We needed him. We couldn't spare him. I'm mad too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 PM) : 

Tim Blanks has a well written piece on style.com. Not quite fulfilling, but well said.

 

Anonymous Paolo Lopez said ... (10:58 PM) : 

I can't believe this is happening. I will terribly miss him. What a great loss in fashion. Condolence to his family. Beautiful person. We will miss you Lee.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 PM) : 

I almost didn't believe the news when I saw it. I'm saddened like the rest of the fashion world. It felt like just yesterday that I admired his spring/summer 2010 show. He always managed to break the barriers of conventionality.

I feel as if today is a devastating day for the fashion world, but for everyone else, today is just any other day. It's strange.

RIP McQueen. The world misses you.

 

Blogger parisgirl said ... (11:01 PM) : 

how very, very sad and tragic. bless you,lee. RIP.

 

Anonymous Pat G said ... (11:04 PM) : 

I am a staight 65 year old male who has always been fashion conscious. Hey. I lean mostly to Ralph Lauren because I am sort of a traditional type. At at point in history I became hooked on Perry Ellis clothes, he was exceptionally good at skirting the line between preppy and edgy (at the time). I never read fashion magazines or followed the news of the day regarding stye etc. This was all of course before the inrternet and easy access to fashion browsing. I knew Perry from the actual stores that sold his stuff. At the time I lived in San Francisco so I knew many young men who passed too early. When I saw in the paper that Perry Ellis has died I was stunned and obviously greatly saddened. I was kind of surprised by my own reaction since I did not personally know him and I had been to enough memorials to be somewhat unshockable. After some time passed I came to understand how much Perry had meant to my day to day life. Picking trousers in the morning, what sweater to wear to dinner, the Perry Ellis suit I wore to my oldest son's baptism. He had crept into my life and I missed him, I still do. So I suspect Mr. McQueen has done the same for many of you. My advice, wear his clothes and respect them. God bless his soul.

 

Anonymous Mimi said ... (11:10 PM) : 

He was a fashion genius, someone whose creations I looked forward to seeing each season. I miss him already. R.I.P.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:12 PM) : 

suicide always sucks. His pain now resonates in our hearts... a deeply sad note at the end of a lovely song. May he have found peace.

 

Blogger Candy9985 said ... (11:18 PM) : 

This news was so sudden and to think that it may have been suicide is even more shocking I am so upset by this news and disturbed that a person like him felt so alone or depressed that he would end his life. where was his family and friends ?Did anyone reach out to him? Why?To many questions and no answers.

 

Blogger YUKO said ... (11:28 PM) : 

His death is regretted.

Wish all of his creations and passion of Fashion will be forever.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36 PM) : 

Thank you, you're right. This sucks!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:36 PM) : 

I woke up to this news and was surprised to find that I was really upset about it. I'm not usually the type of person to subscribe to the kind of mass-grieving that has been so trendy in recent times.

Like you, I also had a kind of crazy idea that I would meet McQueen one day. It's just so disheartening that a visionary and an artist like himself is now gone forever - especially when he still had such a promising, pregnant future.

Besides The Sartorialist, my other favorite photos and discourses on fashion have always largely involved McQueen's work.

I can't seem to say what I really want to say. I don't think that I'm grieving his death on a personal, familiar level, but to lose someone so important to something I'm very passionate about is really very sad. The apparent circumstances surrounding his death only add to the feeling.

It's strange but as I got around to doing my morning routines, I sort of wished that I could have been there to maybe say something or do something for him... Eh. It's just sad.

Thanks for the post, sir.

 

Blogger suzi johnson said ... (11:41 PM) : 

so very true. weeks of tiger wood and john edward infidelities...but only ticker tape for alexander.
i love your line.....saville row training, runway dreaming. it makes me smile.

 

Blogger Martini said ... (11:52 PM) : 

His passing has gotten little news, time, I agree. It's sad really. I've always loved his shows. His collections have always pushed me to be wilder, to think differently and to rebel every day in the most subtle ways.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 PM) : 

unbelievable. the inertia of his creativity will carry on for a long time to come and will be seen and felt not just in fashion but in art and culture.
truly one of the greatest minds in fashion.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:00 AM) : 

Dear Scott,

I feel you on the comment relative to a need for perspective on the loss of one of the great ones of the fashion world.

Maybe we can take comfort in knowing that we have shared a bit of our time with McQueen, may he rest in peace.

And now we may continue his legacy. Rock on, rock on, rock on, rock on!

 

Blogger kayang said ... (12:06 AM) : 

Alexander McQueen was an astonishing artist. Of course, I didn't know him personally; it almost feels silly to have such a reaction over the death of someone you didn't know... But what I can say is that I am deeply saddened of the idea that his ingenius creativity ceases to exist. I always looked forward to his latest collections.

My heart goes out to his family, friends, and anyone else who was inspired by what he did. He was flawless at his craft, and he will be missed.

 

Blogger J. said ... (12:13 AM) : 

Feels like a dream. An uncomfortable one you can't quite get out of or control. It's an odd night for all of us...

Long live McQueen.

 

Blogger Alicia said ... (12:13 AM) : 

I've followed your blog for over a year, and have never left a comment. Very saddened by the news today, and you have put it very eloquently. You are right on in your thoughts, as are your lovely readers. May he be at peace. Such a tragic loss....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 AM) : 

when I was 10 I made a list of 'things I want to do before I die'. One of them was meeting Alexander mcQueen.

No idea what I'm going to fill in now.
Lagerfield?
Anna Wintour?

Hell no,
McQueen is a genius.

 

Blogger Donna Camacho said ... (12:19 AM) : 

This is truly tragic, he was so talented and creative.


R.I.P McQueen.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:27 AM) : 

When I saw the news online, I started to cry. I surprised myself at having such emotion and yet he was a definite inspiration to me.

 

Blogger Black Devil said ... (12:28 AM) : 

LONG LIVE MCQUEEN

 

Blogger Felipe Jansen said ... (12:31 AM) : 

That was really sad! Fashion lost one of its all time genious, one of the most inovator fashion designers. I´m sure people who love fashion will remember him.. Unfortunantly the rest probably forget it, or even not even know about that. =(
RIP Mcqueen

 

Blogger older said ... (12:31 AM) : 

wow. well put. im just maddened at the mass media's response, or lack there of, to this.

again, well said sart. thank you.

r.i.p alexander mcqueen. today he lost his life, and for everyone else, we lost a visionary.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:48 AM) : 

rip Alexander McQueen
prayers go out to the family

 

Anonymous Oonagh said ... (12:51 AM) : 

Tragic, What a loss. I feel for his family.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 AM) : 

Mcqueen has done a lot, his design is an unimaginable creation that nobody would ever get to recreate ,even myself dreaming pursuing my career as a fashion designer one day, I know that somehow I wouldn't be able to do what he has done. Sadly, he took away his life. In my country, the news were heard on the radio and everywhere. RIP Mcqueen.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 AM) : 

I am sad, lost, perplexed and (embarrassingly so) a bit devastated for the loss of someone, whom I did not know, but who none the less, still managed to to have a huge impact on my life.

I was simply in awe of Alexander McQueen. His collections are confections that were audacious, cerebral, provoking and mesmerizing, that were first and foremost, glamorously and uniquely his own. I remember when he came on the scene in the early 90's and EVERYONE sat up and took notice. He really was someone who moved the entire industry forward, keeping it alive, electric and constantly questioning and questing.

You had to marvel at his way of never letting a message be more important that it's medium. His clothes were irreverent but impeccably tailored, and you could always discern the pitch perfect counterbalance where classic roots met high flying artistry. Each season, I never failed to itch as time grew near to see what new vision he would lay before us, and the conversations and controversies it would inspire.

I know he had a some what tumultuous personal life, especially with his mother dying February 2nd - which I know had more to do with his suicide than not, but I completely admire, and actually, am beholden to him for living the life of a complicated, artistic, openly gay man, out and proud with out any apologies.

 

Blogger SteveO6290 said ... (12:57 AM) : 

I feel you Scott...today I felt like one of the only ppl in my circle of friends who really was saddened by this...it sucks so much..I just wish I could have hugged him and protected him from this

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 AM) : 

i never met him,of course, i´m from a little city in mexico all out of fashion and right now i want to call someone and say what is happening...but i´m pretty sure they won´t get it... who he was, what he means...
that´s what i read you blog first today.
i feel what you wrote. ´All I know is this sucks´.

 

Anonymous Nelson said ... (1:00 AM) : 

Your post rings so true, I never met Alexander McQueen personally, but I have worked with people in his circle. I have also lost several friends to suicide. It is unfortunate that many people only see the surface of these creative giants and forget that there is a human being behind the professional facade. His grief must have been overwhelming, there are times when even the closest of friends can't console that kind of grief.

His passing is a loss for all of us, I wish he had sought out counseling. I hope anyone out there who finds themselves in such dark places seek help, because as contrived as it sounds, we must all strive for a brighter tomorrow.

 

Blogger Oh my Dior! said ... (1:26 AM) : 

a tragedy for us, all fashion people :(

http://www.ohmydior.org/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:31 AM) : 

Just because his death hasn't appeared on US network news doesn't mean he's been ignored.

In the UK he's on most front pages, from tabloid to broadsheet, and mourned as a genius. Alexander McQueen was a much-loved part of our national fabric and rightly famed around the world.

It's perhaps a shame that US TV didn't rate him. But I really don't think he'd care, either.

 

Blogger Granny Panty said ... (1:51 AM) : 

I am just so sad. What a tragic loss.

 

Anonymous sadie said ... (1:55 AM) : 

You should take photo's and not articulate-you are very bad at it. Some one has killed themselves and YOU give yourself cause to complain???

Get real.

 

Anonymous Barrett Holmes Pitner said ... (1:55 AM) : 

I think for those who excel in an artistic medium words quickly become stifling. Artists elevate people to beyond words. They evoke powerful emotions. They bring about emotions that are above words. Alexander McQueen was one of those artists. I think it is fitting that people can't find the words to express their emotions. That is what being an artist is all about.

 

Blogger Breathless said ... (2:05 AM) : 

Shocked and sad. He will be missed.

 

Anonymous pianosa said ... (2:23 AM) : 

Other people have posted comments about crying when they heard.

I didn't cry until I read through each of the 137 comments before me, each paying their respects, each sharing their grief and actively remembering a man who did amazing things. It was the passion of the remembrances that got to me, the force of all these anonymous internet faces/names gathering with one voice to mourn.

There may be nowhere to turn, but look how many people are here, grieving his death and honoring his memory. It is enough to give me, at least, some hope.

 

Blogger Marina said ... (2:27 AM) : 

I'm so sad...I still cannot beleive it..

 

Blogger ricola said ... (2:39 AM) : 

it sucks indeed. I laid some roses at the 14th street store front, but left wnen some fashion students made it into some sort of odd photo op. this man changed how I think, constantly.

 

Anonymous alexandra holly said ... (2:41 AM) : 

what a terrible tradgedy. i feel truly shaken by this and feel that the fashion industry has lost one of its greatest minds. there will be a huge gap left where his designs and ingenuity have been in the past. i hope he's in a better place now. RIP

 

Blogger Tiffany Kadani said ... (2:47 AM) : 

He forced me into fashion. How could I not fall in love? How could I not draw upon his inspiration and perfect creations?

 

Blogger Diane said ... (2:48 AM) : 

RIP Alexander McQueen, I posted something related this morning...But I think you're right, it's so not enough...

I guess it will never be enough...

kiss

 

Anonymous Vas said ... (2:51 AM) : 

I feel bereft and that the world is a sadder place without his creativity and genius.I also feel sad because my one dream was to sit front and centre at one of his parades (or even right at the back for that matter). I too thought I had time. His mastery and vision, his rebellion and darkness and his sheer audacity will be sorely missed in a world that needs its boundaries pushed beyond mediocrity. Vale Lee. I hope that the peace you sought is now available to you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 AM) : 

Hello Sart,
Perhaps you should publish a photo of his work: I was in love with the butterfly Head, something that helps, really, to live…
Yours
Laura

 

Anonymous Magsli said ... (3:22 AM) : 

This is beyond heartbreaking. What an absolute star he was. The word genius gets bandied about so casually these days but Alexander McQueen deserved that label. He was a genius. The world has lost an icon. God Bless him and I hope he's at peace now. RIP AmcQ x

 

Anonymous Stacey said ... (3:24 AM) : 

This really is a tragedy for the fashion industry, and of course Lee's friends and family. It is hard to believe that he will not be a part of the future of British fashion

 

Anonymous sslunickoo said ... (3:47 AM) : 

Yep, I agree it is really sad. Even the fact, that they only wrote in my country, that he died and was a designer. No one mentioned, how great he was, I love his designs, was trying to draw by myself...And also always thought when I will grow...when I will be this big girl, I will be wearing his designs.Never gonna happen I hope he is in good place now...

 

Blogger F (The Very Subjective) said ... (3:48 AM) : 

yes it does. suck.

 

Blogger Polly said ... (3:58 AM) : 

MQueen probably was really lonely and unsatisfied inside.

Maybe reading the poem by Mary Oliver "The journey" will help. The only life you can save is your own.

Take care

Polly

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:59 AM) : 

he will always be remebered

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:04 AM) : 

Major loss in the fashion world, his vision is incredible and can never been replaced, I will miss him and his talents.

Long live Lee McQueen!

RIP

xo,
Tina

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:06 AM) : 

a genious, artist and icon has left us. it's just so sad :(

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:10 AM) : 

yr comments are spot on. i too searched for someone who could put into words the loss i was feeling. this really is too horrible. i just keep thinking why? such a waste, such a beautiful character, such wonderful talent and now hes gone. its more than sad.....

 

Anonymous Fashionvixen said ... (4:24 AM) : 

Shocking and unbelievable. My hart goes out to those near to him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:24 AM) : 

RIP McQueen. He will be missed.

 

Blogger clogg20 said ... (4:40 AM) : 

Tragic loss to fashion, art and those who were close to him. My thoughts are with those who are feeling the loss of the man, not just the legend.

 

Anonymous Miguel Ferrer said ... (4:43 AM) : 

Actually a genius. I'm in shock. Viva McQueen, Viva el "Infant Terrible"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 AM) : 

Big fan of you, as well a Mcqueen. You have done some job from the ground up in this fashion biz. Thanks for all you've done.

 

Blogger AnAzevedo said ... (4:59 AM) : 

I liked him so much!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:05 AM) : 

Thank you, Sart. I knew I could turn to you to put words to what I've been feeling since the news hit me. My mom told me and left me stunned. For what its worth, it was in the news, albeit briefly, in Spain.

Lee, may you rest in peace.

 

Blogger jasmintulk said ... (5:11 AM) : 

at the top of his game, always was, self-doubt? he must have had it - so devastated that someone with his genius chose to do this, RIP McQueen I could never afford you but I loved you just the same, you renegade rascale - peace xxxxxx

 

Blogger ΕΦ said ... (5:20 AM) : 

It's so sad that his art uniqueness didn't give him a hand out of the sorrow for his mother's death. He will leave an empty space in fashion but he will definately be next to YSL in the stardom of designers. RIP Alexander McQueen. You will always be in our hearts and in our inspiration. Thank you for what you gave us.

 

Blogger Maria Ana said ... (5:20 AM) : 

When I posted this news on my blog I couldn'r write anything, two words and a photo. Too sad.

 

Blogger Christopher Andrews said ... (5:22 AM) : 

To to leave a proper comment on here about how I feel about the death of Mr.McQueen would be cut by a tenth, due to character limitations. It's all just incredibly sad. He always seemed fragile, even hiding behind the tough imagine, his work spoke to this. It is sad that he was in such pain, if the stories of suicide are true. Yes, it is sad for us who love fashion and most of all love his ideas about beauty.In his way he changed the world, the fashion world before McQueen and after. His world was dark, romantic and for him, real. There will never be another.

 

Blogger B. Boo said ... (5:25 AM) : 

alexander mcqueen please don't go!

http://www.t5m.com/blackmarket-boo/alexander-mcqueen-please-dont-go.html

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:25 AM) : 

I cant believe it either, and you're right there is noone to make sense of it.
Also its so different working in an industry where everyone inspires each other and innovation feed innovation. Dont think this is reflected outside of the creative industries and for those working outside of this bizarre and wonderful world its difficult to comprehend what a huge loss this is.

RIP Lee, I hope you are at peace.

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (5:33 AM) : 

im still in shock too ...i was following his tweets, his mother passed away last week and he seemed down but hopeful...what a tragedy...he was a creative genius and an inspiration to SO many!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 AM) : 

Very said. He was great artist in in this century.

RIP. Lee MacQueen

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:53 AM) : 

The English press has some very good articles today Friday 12th about the contribution to fashion and personality of Alexander McQueen plus video tributes. Check out guardian.co.uk. and timesonline.co.uk.
How sad that someone so talented should feel so desperate about life. RIP.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting