This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Complicated....Not!, Florence

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, February 26, 2010

On the Street....Complicated....Not!, Florence

I love the look of this scarf knot and how the lines of the pattern emphasize the intricate technique.

Instead of describing how he did this knot...video!

Comments on "On the Street....Complicated....Not!, Florence"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:03 PM) : 

Wooowwww I like it, original ;-)

 

Blogger Hannah said ... (1:07 PM) : 

the longer is stared at this image the more confused i became... thank heaven for video technology!

 

Blogger Petite Annabel said ... (1:07 PM) : 

Intriguing...
x Petite Annabel

 

Blogger SabinePsynopsis said ... (1:10 PM) : 

So clever, so easy...

 

Anonymous T H E F A T T A C K said ... (1:12 PM) : 

so nice and so easy!

Love

S

 

Blogger Style Scanner said ... (1:16 PM) : 

That's a superb idea, bet it's knot as easy as it looks though...!

 

Blogger David M. said ... (1:16 PM) : 

cool

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:18 PM) : 

Hu, interesting ! Good idea, and thanks for sharing !

 

Anonymous Vanesa said ... (1:18 PM) : 

Great blog Scott. You should come to Buenos Aires, Argentina to shoot style.

 

Blogger Selfish said ... (1:21 PM) : 

wow! so simple, i thought it would be more complex. this is fantastic, thx for the video
http://vodkacaviardreams.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger burgundy lips said ... (1:27 PM) : 

haha, lovely!
Kiss!

 

Blogger Meg said ... (1:29 PM) : 

the ol' pretzel...

 

Blogger l´habitué said ... (1:29 PM) : 

Thanks for sharing this Scott!!!
Want more videos like this!

http://lhabitue.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger bam bee said ... (1:31 PM) : 

yeahh.. i do the same!

 

Anonymous Erin said ... (1:34 PM) : 

Not quite so original :) I saw someone with a scarf tied that way a few months ago and have been tying mine like that ever since! I love how elegant it looks and it's not a bulky as some other, more simple ways.

 

Blogger M said ... (1:34 PM) : 

haha! Good to know, will try this for sure :)

http://spottedbym.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Austin K said ... (1:38 PM) : 

I've been experimenting with scarf knots myself but i like this way more than anything I have come up with.

 

Anonymous evalyn said ... (1:42 PM) : 

Reminds me of the fancy knots men used to tie in their ascots. Not that I remember, but I've read about it.:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM) : 

Very smooth! Saw some scarves like that in soho at a shop called the meg cohen design shop- they have some really beautiful cashmere scarves similar to that one, with the v classic stitching, as well as fingerless gloves that are so soft! x

 

Blogger fig said ... (1:51 PM) : 

Had to stand backwards in the mirror to do it. Now can walk out with confidence :)

 

Blogger San said ... (1:51 PM) : 

Cool. Sooooo, stylish, will try it tomorrow.


Have a wonderful weekend.

http://the-man-made-project.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

Nice knot.I love it. i only have to wait until next winter to use it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:57 PM) : 

That's how i always wear my scarves...since I was ten!

 

Blogger Barbora said ... (1:58 PM) : 

So coool!
:)

http://barboradudinska.blogspot.com
"fashionably tasteful.have a bite"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

Love it! Love the tutorial! Love you!

 

Anonymous Siena said ... (2:15 PM) : 

That's one fine suit there...

 

Blogger Santino said ... (2:15 PM) : 

The process may not be complicated, but the look is overly complicated. It's such a simple scarf, but, tied thus, it weighs too much.

 

Blogger OLIVIA KIJO said ... (2:18 PM) : 

it's too hard :D

 

Blogger dmlittle said ... (2:19 PM) : 

Nice. How about allowing us to download the clip for future reference? Thx.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:21 PM) : 

So cool! :) I liked it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 PM) : 

So French...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:24 PM) : 

Superbe !

 

Blogger OLIVIA KIJO said ... (2:26 PM) : 

it's too hard :D

 

Blogger Nadine2point0 said ... (2:27 PM) : 

That is....so very cool. Thanks for the video instruction on the knot. I will be using it right away WITHOUT getting all tied up!

 

Blogger Eva said ... (2:33 PM) : 

j'adore!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:35 PM) : 

Hi!
That's really nice video. It is the first time I can see such a knot used by another person.
I've been using this knot, since December last year. That was my own invention in the use of nautical knot - polish name is "wyblinka".
World is small :)
fular

regards Vislav

 

Blogger CarolinaVK said ... (2:37 PM) : 

Love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:42 PM) : 

LOVE It. Now why didn't I think of that?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:43 PM) : 

I have seen that knot one people in the past and have always wondered how do it. It's So elegant and interesting. Thank you Sartorialist!

 

Blogger Judith Ross said ... (2:45 PM) : 

That's a keeper. Maybe I'll even forward it to my son. Thanks!

 

Blogger Susan said ... (2:48 PM) : 

love it! I had to watch the video a few times before I got it right :)

 

Anonymous Paula said ... (2:52 PM) : 

I learned how to do this know while in Morocco! I bought a hand woven scarf at a local market and the man who made it taught me how to do it! So cool :)

 

Blogger Christina Barrera said ... (2:58 PM) : 

I love a good detail that brings attention to something simple.


Christina Barrera

http://ilstilo.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:58 PM) : 

This is called "pretzel"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:00 PM) : 

It´s is a constrictor knot. Used to tien of bags etc. on boats. But this is a nice way to use it.

 

Blogger Lucie said ... (3:05 PM) : 

I love this knot too... I have been wearing it for about a year now, after seeing it on a blog (i don't remember which one unfortunately), but nobody ever took a picture of me in the street because of it :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:10 PM) : 

The video content is fantastic, and the scarf is equally impressive. I love the colors, and I love your blog!

 

Anonymous Garry A said ... (3:10 PM) : 

Awesome! I just practiced the technique. Going to class today with this knot!

 

Blogger gene doe said ... (3:10 PM) : 

i like that even though it's knotted, it sits beautifully on him and doesn't appear too bulky.

http://genedoeproject.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Monika said ... (3:11 PM) : 

Its so easy :)

 

Blogger superlinh said ... (3:12 PM) : 

love it! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:19 PM) : 

Very interesting, but it does look like he attempted to loop the scarf but just couldn't get the hang of it.... Looks good though.

 

Anonymous Paolo Convertito Blasio said ... (3:20 PM) : 

ahhh thanks for the guide..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:25 PM) : 

I like it and will practice until I can do it. Btw I love your blog, its fantastic! greetings from Peru!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:25 PM) : 

I like it and will practice until I can do it. Btw I love your blog, its fantastic! greetings from Peru!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:29 PM) : 

I do my scarf the same way! It looks so much better with a striped two-tone scarf though. Escher would be proud.

 

Blogger Matt said ... (3:29 PM) : 

Cool video Sart. Dumb jokes are great for Fridays-- CHEERS!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:31 PM) : 

Now THAT is a great knot.Works great with bigger scarves too,just tried it.

Thank you!

 

Anonymous Ryan Christopher said ... (3:32 PM) : 

the sartorialist does video... I love it (the scarf is a fresh idea to me as well)

 

Blogger DY said ... (3:35 PM) : 

Haha, It might not be complicated but I can't seem to keep my eye on the knot's twist & turns...

I'm definitely going to have to save this for next season though as it's already starting to warm up here in Austin.

Dig the knot.

 

Blogger Kathleen said ... (3:36 PM) : 

Very cool way to wear the scarf, I love it. Going to give it a whirl this evening. He's wearing some of my favorite nearly non-color colors. Would love to see the face, but I guess you'll keep us all in suspense. Being from Florence, I'm sure he is easy on the eyes!

 

Blogger babelux said ... (3:38 PM) : 

I love it! great idea.

 

Blogger Eric Scot Realtor said ... (3:38 PM) : 

LOVE IT! I live in LA. Believe me I will be working that!

 

Anonymous Smilla said ... (3:38 PM) : 

Thank you for the video. Now it's just a matter of practice...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:50 PM) : 

Very innovative! What's equally amazing is how observant you are, Scott. I probably wouldn't have noticed the knot if I had walked by this person.

 

Anonymous tina said ... (3:54 PM) : 

love it!
funny enough, i was researching just yesterday the tracht, a historical festive dress from where i come from (south tyrol) and found exactly this scarf technique (on women though). very nice!

 

Blogger Jennifer said ... (3:56 PM) : 

Thanks for the tutorial! I have seen a few people with their scarves tied this way and had wondered how to do it myself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:57 PM) : 

that is one hell of a not. Awesome but you are right, the is the right scarf to do it. With those thin lines, it really works.

 

Anonymous modepersonnel(le) said ... (3:58 PM) : 

Oooh I can't do it !!)

 

Blogger Haley said ... (4:03 PM) : 

Just rearranged my scarf. Awesome.

Haley
http://the-second-look.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Tiffany Kadani said ... (4:09 PM) : 

Sigh. Ties and knots- the Europeans just do them better.

 

Anonymous ANAPHOTO said ... (4:14 PM) : 

ACK!! This is pure genius. Thank you!

 

Anonymous abysmal.descent@hotmail.com said ... (4:45 PM) : 

looks great, thnx!

 

Blogger 1spartist said ... (4:46 PM) : 

Thank you

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:46 PM) : 

WOW! I'm feeling so stylish right now because I've been using this double loop knot for quite a while. I love it and looks quite nice even with single colour scarves.

 

Blogger Drea said ... (4:49 PM) : 

outstanding! just tried it at home. will be wearing this style tomorrow night.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:49 PM) : 

Never mind the knot and the tying -- though these show off the patterna and color of the scarf to perfection -- it's all about the pun in the title. LOL ;-}

 

Blogger Sarah Grace said ... (4:51 PM) : 

Really interesting way to tie a scarf...nice :)

http://thebuzzonfashion.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:13 PM) : 

ha one of my friends taught me how to "tie" my scarf exactly like this and I do it all the time!

 

Anonymous Patrick C. said ... (5:24 PM) : 

Years ago, Bill Cunningham devoted a whole montage to men on the street wearing scarves folded in half then the ends pulled through at the middle. The rest of that winter all the dapper circle seemed to wear them that way (that is, unless I hadn't noticed before). This will certainly be MY 2010 update! As Bill always says, "just MARVELOUS..."

 

Anonymous EdoubleM.blogspot.com said ... (5:52 PM) : 

Very original! Nothing I like more than originality! Good stuff.

 

Anonymous grizzlesnort said ... (5:59 PM) : 

thank you.

 

Blogger Claire said ... (6:20 PM) : 

a random stumble onto the QVC channel taught me how to do this like 2 years ago, been doing so ever since

 

Blogger Courtney said ... (6:22 PM) : 

Thank you so much for the video! I love it!

 

Blogger BobKentNoVa said ... (6:31 PM) : 

As an old Eagle Scout, I always love learning a new knot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:18 PM) : 

I used to work in high-end retail and believe it or not but this knot would "sell" a coat (big ticket item!) 80% of the time!

 

Blogger Aakriti Agrawal said ... (7:22 PM) : 

me likiee :9

 

Blogger Ozwald Boateng said ... (7:49 PM) : 

A very elegant touch. I love the choice of colour.

Check out fashion designer Ozwald Boateng's blog:

http://ozwaldboateng.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Kelly Johnson said ... (7:54 PM) : 

Thanks for the video. I plan to try this out as soon as possible. The Vancouver weather this week is begging for a nice warm scarf!

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (7:55 PM) : 

Very nice! I need to learn his new knot for my scarves.

 

Blogger Kelly Johnson said ... (7:56 PM) : 

Thank you for the video! I plan to try this out as soon as possible - the Vancouver weather this week is begging for a nice warm scarf...

 

Blogger Brummagem Joe said ... (8:04 PM) : 

In winter the scarf is man's main outdoor expression of Sprezz....an nice addition to the repertoire.

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (8:59 PM) : 

Ah! My sister had showed me this 'technique', and I had forgotten how to do it! Looks so brilliant with the stripes!

 

Blogger Samuel said ... (9:05 PM) : 

This is definitely how I will be knotting my scarf from now on. So classy and fresh

 

Anonymous Nancy said ... (10:25 PM) : 

Love, love, love the scarf, love the knot, love the video!

 

Blogger imogen said ... (10:47 PM) : 

I love this knot, I use it all the time come winter, and am often asked how I did it. Looks great with any scarf, and is superbly warm with a big pashmina.

It's actually really easy...I use a slightly different method, but however you do it, it only takes a couple of goes to get the trick & then you'll never forget!

 

Blogger Caddy said ... (10:58 PM) : 

COOL!!!!! Plus it looks quite elegant!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 PM) : 

Knot, cool.
Video, brilliant.

 

Blogger katieLove1 said ... (11:35 PM) : 

love that scarf knot. I already tried it out today. its so interesting. thanks so much for the videov :]

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:11 AM) : 

I learned this knot from a woman in Breckenridge CO a few years ago. I use it all the time and get compliments on it every time I wear it.

 

Anonymous Christine said ... (12:15 AM) : 

Thank you so much for this video! I just did it myself and I love it, but without the video I never would have figured out how he did it!

 

Anonymous Louise said ... (1:24 AM) : 

I've been tying my scarf this way for years. I learned it from a boutique owner in Tucson.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:48 AM) : 

Lovely! Haha thanks for sharing these small tips and tricks.

I´m embedding this on my blog aswell.

http://styleish.blogspot.com/

Peter.ish

 

Anonymous marymarou said ... (4:29 AM) : 

fantastic! needs a long scarf... got to find one.. :)

 

Blogger Deb said ... (9:21 AM) : 

It's times like these when I don't mind if Winter lingers longer;) Merci.

Now out to find some new patterned scarves. . .

 

Blogger eff said ... (10:32 AM) : 

Awesome!
And yes, thank heavens for the video... I was about to search all over Youtube for an instructional, myself!

 

Blogger My So Called Life said ... (10:51 AM) : 

This is such a cool way to tie a scarf!!!! Eyeryone has their own ways of tying scarfs but this one is just really easy and so nice looking. Scarfs are soo in right now in Paris too!!

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (11:28 AM) : 

Great knot and the tutorial was very helpful! I love the detailing on his scarf. xo

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:02 PM) : 

Amazing sync. I've filtered through plenty of knots one week ago, and have chosen this one to add to my basic one for going out. I'm using it right about three-four days. I'm really shocked...

 

Blogger Hussam Zain said ... (2:29 PM) : 

Awesome :)

 

Blogger Ryfka said ... (3:35 PM) : 

Thanks for sharing! I t(r)ied it and I love it :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:41 PM) : 

HA! I've been doing this knot myself for a while now. Funny how some people that have never met think alike. Thumbs up for the knot :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 PM) : 

Fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing the technique.

 

Blogger The Wandering StarDust said ... (4:43 PM) : 

I just tried it and I love it!! Thanks for sharing the video.

 

Blogger Charlotte said ... (5:16 PM) : 

now there's something that i can incorporate into my wardrobe - it's free!

 

Blogger Caroline said ... (5:47 PM) : 

I work in retail and am forever having to teach people this way of tying scarves... I know it as the "bella knot," from Italy. Love this post!

www.tastesofpinkchampagne.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:23 PM) : 

What an amazing know. The beauty is also in the scarf, this knot works better with a multi colored scarf.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 PM) : 

Putting this on video was genius.

Grazie!

 

Blogger a.flower.at.fall.of.frost said ... (11:10 PM) : 

I saw this last night and absolutely had to try it today with a lightweight scarf (it's already about 70 degrees here in Texas). I couldn't get the video to work on my computer for whatever reason, and it wasn't coming in very clear on my phone, but I figured it out on my own after about ten tries. I love it. I'd love more scarf tutorials!

 

Anonymous Mary said ... (11:35 PM) : 

I've been wearing scarves like this for awhile! I love how it looks woven but is so easy to knot =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 AM) : 

i love how he straightens his coat at the very end after the demo
that's the stylish touch

 

Blogger Fabio Bucciardini said ... (3:45 AM) : 

BELLO!

 

Blogger Sonia said ... (9:17 AM) : 

I know howw to do it from my mother long ago, it's really so easy yet timeless.

 

Blogger Ana said ... (12:36 PM) : 

Obrigado!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:12 PM) : 

awesome!!

 

Blogger Raimon said ... (4:36 PM) : 

Perfect! It's very cool!!!!!

touchebcn.blogspot.cm

 

Blogger Gabriela Berriel said ... (4:43 PM) : 

The video is genius. Will try.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:42 PM) : 

I LOVE the title - great play on words there! xxo

 

Blogger JP said ... (7:39 PM) : 

HOLY Crap!! That's an amazing i need a step by step guide though

 

Blogger Jin said ... (10:12 PM) : 

I just tried it, and it's so easy but looks so intricate! Any chance you have a picture of his full outfit?

 

Blogger U-NI-TY said ... (5:48 AM) : 

This style is great!

If you want and if you possess an I.phone, you can freely download the application U-NI-TY Paris, and discover in live on friday 5th of march the catwalk for the first U-N-TY woman's collection.

Have a nice sunny day!

 

Blogger amy said ... (7:52 AM) : 

GREAT IDEA to show the video - would make a great series!

 

Blogger xaevon said ... (8:00 AM) : 

Scott,that's the dopest knot I've seen...you just don't see this in the south, thanks for sharing!

 

Blogger Devi said ... (12:35 PM) : 

I love it and it seems easy, although I'm still trying to figure it out. Hope my boss doesn't walk by my office since I've been trying for the past few minutes...

 

Blogger Devi said ... (1:04 PM) : 

Finally got it. It's so easy (once you figure it out!). Thank you

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:36 PM) : 

Works like a charm! Great for a thin woman's scarf too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:42 AM) : 

Thanks for posting the video...it was really helpful! I wore my scarf like this on Sunday...easy to do and looked great! This might be my new favorite way to wear scarves :)

Laura

 

Blogger Smaug said ... (4:06 AM) : 

Learned and used!
Very nice

 

Blogger AnAzevedo said ... (6:38 AM) : 

Just tried it in pink :-) and it looks great, very easy, and now all my female colleagues want the same knot... in a single minute passed from having a "original knot" to a "everybody Knows this knot"...

 

Blogger nomi said ... (7:16 AM) : 

I LOVE scarves, and to give them just the right volume/length proportions, I've been using that knot for ages! Sometimes I choose to wear it half over my shoulder though, it just distributes itself better than a traditional knot. good to see it's now officially approved ;)

 

Blogger Philippe said ... (9:29 AM) : 

Awww Excellent :)

Philippe
www.punkgeisha.com

 

Blogger rhodobacter said ... (8:48 PM) : 

<3 it

 

Anonymous Lily said ... (12:12 AM) : 

The video was absolutely amazing. After two failed tries, I got it on the third, and I squealed for a good ten minutes over how amazing and unique this knot is.

 

Blogger Happy Snow said ... (7:40 PM) : 

This knot was made very popular by the Korean TV serial "Winter Sonata".

 

Blogger Gezbez77 said ... (10:23 PM) : 

SO FUN! i will try this tomorrow... thank youuuu!

 

Anonymous CiscaKid said ... (4:30 AM) : 

This is so cool. It's still warm weather in Australia but I'm walking around my house wearing a scarf with this cool knot! Thanks for the video.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:59 AM) : 

I've showed the knot to people since Georgina Von Estorff showed me and my friend Veronica about OMG more than twelve years now uff time flies :) i'm glad you showed it so I can tell people to watch the video and stop asking me how do you do it? it is very easy people c'mon :D

 

Blogger Renato Paschoaleto said ... (7:43 AM) : 

perfect!!

 

Blogger Lectrice said ... (2:00 PM) : 

Merci merci merci !!
porteuse avide d'écharpe, je ne connaissais pas ce noeud, idéal pour les longeurs.... Merci !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:35 PM) : 

Princess Letizia from Spain wears this knot!

It's a royal example of style! ;)

 

Blogger Drou said ... (9:12 AM) : 

I did this knot with a blue pashmina and all my friends were intrigued...
They all asked me how to do it!

Props to the video.

Ingenious touch.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 AM) : 

Got it.Thanks

 

Blogger Charles Chan said ... (6:58 PM) : 

Fantastic. Have started knotting my scarf like this, and I love it. Thanks for sharing. Charles from Sydney

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:35 PM) : 

Thank you for helping to alleviate the world of it's ugly scarf knot tying skills!

 

Anonymous enterrement vie de garcon said ... (5:34 PM) : 

I like scarf, the way he wear it is SO COOL.
Lilou

 

Anonymous chippendales said ... (5:40 AM) : 

i love it so smart

 

Blogger Molly Page said ... (6:55 PM) : 

Thanks for this tutorial. I linked to this post today because that knot is super cool.

 

Anonymous Pairwa Handmade Scarves said ... (1:55 PM) : 

Great style! I did this knot with my scarf and it's looking stylish.

 

Blogger socialraf said ... (7:11 PM) : 

I like it, I really like this style.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting