This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Let's Discuss....Suspenders

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Let's Discuss....Suspenders

I'm so tired of my pants riding on my hips (like jeans) and not on my waist(right below the belly-button) where they should be. All day I'm adjusting my pants hoping they will stay in the right place. My belt doesn't want to help the situation either. It's either too tight or too loose..always.

The other day I broke down and bought a pair of suspenders for my new Ralph Lauren Purple Label suit. After wearing the suspenders just one night I will probably never go back to belting suitpants again. Suspenders work!!

Suspenders keep your pants in place like no belt ever could. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the look of suspenders and I hate funny or theme-y suspenders, so i hide my braces under a vested suit.

The downside of this new love is that suspenders are so hard to find, at least in New York. Suspenders and cufflinks are two of the most important accessories for men and yet the challenge of finding great options is almost insurmountable.

So, what do I need to know about the art and craft of suspenders and where can I find some good ones?

Comments on "Let's Discuss....Suspenders"

 

Blogger Sara Kristiina said ... (3:04 PM) : 

Very nice!

 

Blogger Cheryl Houston said ... (3:06 PM) : 

I love the contrast of the dragon tattoo with his outfit!

 

Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said ... (3:07 PM) : 

I've noticed that suspenders are v. popular among well dressed men in Italy.

Rarely did I see men in L.A. wear them.

Why is that? Because L.A. is more casual?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:07 PM) : 

Hi Scott!
I share your frustration. Although I don't use suspenders as a man would, I love to wear a loose man's pants with suspenders so the pants hit at my waist.
I LOOKED EVERYWHERE for a vintage inspired, clean leather version and finally found one on Ebay - hope this suggestion helps. You would definitely look HOT with suspenders - lucky Garance :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:08 PM) : 

the rise is perfect :)

http://www.buttonsandbowsla.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 PM) : 

The suspenders are surprisingly an effortlessly chic touch to any suit.

 

Blogger Daria Hlazatova said ... (3:11 PM) : 

i have no idea! but they look good

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:13 PM) : 

Turnbull & Asser in London stock a good selection of suspenders. Albert Thurston and Drakes of London have websites that customers can order from.

 

Blogger Ross said ... (3:13 PM) : 

Cigar Inn on 71st and 1st has a nice selection of Men's Accessories, not to mention cigars.

http://www.cigarinn.com/catalog/03_menprod_pgs/03_menprod_fr.htm

 

Blogger Javier Gandara said ... (3:13 PM) : 

I like this outfit, the tatto is really cool, he isn´t like the normals bussines man

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:14 PM) : 

I want one of these. No, no, not suspenders; a fabulously aged man with salt-n-pepper hair who can rock a nice suit and a dragon tat. Oh yeah.

 

Blogger Robert said ... (3:14 PM) : 

horses for course. i don't like my pants riding too high. i'm also only 30 and an accidental suspender reveal may as well be of the feminine type. embarrassing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:19 PM) : 

Where was this photo taken, Scott? And who is he?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 PM) : 

Awwww. So cool until I scrolled down and saw the tatoo. Ruined the whole look for me.

 

Blogger CHARLie'S said ... (3:25 PM) : 

I work at Ralph Lauren, and we have suspenders...

 

Blogger ali said ... (3:25 PM) : 

My extremely stylish 93 yr old grandfather wears (usually) thin leather suspenders with brass clips for all his suits, both winter wool & summer seersucker- most of which he's had for 40+ years! Recently, though, he was very pleased to pick up a Hickey Freeman suit at the Junior League for a mere $15 whilst visiting me out in Oregon. (His enthusiasm shaped by both impeccable style & coming of age during the Great Depression).
I meant to send pics for the vintage postings; maybe I'll get on that now!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:25 PM) : 

What are "suspenders" - are you talking about braces?

 

Blogger Michael Q. said ... (3:28 PM) : 

I believe Albert Thurston crafts the best braces in the world. They'll even tailor them to your specifications for a fee. I recommend braces with white fittings, which are more versatile. (you can get any of them changed to white fittings too)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:28 PM) : 

Thurston. Paul Stuart. J Press.

Also, there is a school of thought that if you are going to wear braces, your pants should not have belt loops. I have gone back and forth over the years, but it's just a thought.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:28 PM) : 

I thought suspenders were the ones with the metal clips, often worn by tradesmen. While braces are the ones with leather straps that attach to buttons in the waistband.

Or is that American vs. British terminology at play?

 

Blogger marlie said ... (3:30 PM) : 

This guy is downright HOT. I love the ease with which he wears the suit and the suspenders, and then the tattoo shows off a little bit more of his personality such that one wants to know more about him. Plus, love the salt & pepper hair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:30 PM) : 

He look great! ....but the supenders in his case are a fashion detail. No need for them at all with that outfit. The pants are to tight for a belt and for a supenders. So the man are all "chic" !!
Only one negative comment; he´s wearing the pants way to high (wish gives him a feminin figure/body..)
Saludos

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:32 PM) : 

Ralph Lauren have a decent selection, Paul Stuart do as well. less variety but a nice collection of solids at Saks and brooks Brothers. Bromleys at www.classicwardrobe.co.uk have a HUGE selection available online.

 

Blogger Sarah Dee said ... (3:32 PM) : 

Im not quite sure but I really like the look of suspenders! They're dashing really ;)

Sarah
theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

 

Blogger allieleigh said ... (3:34 PM) : 

I actually own a dress with suspenders and the suspenders are actually the reason I bought it. Suspenders feel kind of vintage (but in the best possible way). Also I like the trend of menswear for girls.

Also the man in this photo is fabulous. The tattoo makes him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:37 PM) : 

Well, American Apparel does some thin, unobtrusive suspenders? Their advert is in the sidebar of the blog... Shouldnt you be recommending them?
Also, in England we call them 'braces': suspenders are a different thing entirely... I thought I'd accidently gone to the Bad part of the internet when I saw 'Let's Discuss....Suspenders!'

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:37 PM) : 

Great!!

monegasque@email.it

 

Blogger istanbul fashion addict said ... (3:37 PM) : 

confused by opposites here tattoo+suit+suspenders but completes every detail.

http://istanbulfashionaddict.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:40 PM) : 

No distinguished gentleman should ever wear a suit without his braces. There are tons of places in NYC to buy braces- the following stores have beautiful braces: Paul Stuart- Herzfield on 57th Street- they too have beautiful braces. Alan Flusser and the last spot I recommend is B.Oyamma in Harlem on 7th Ave (Adam Clayton Powell, Jr Blvd) btwn 136th and 137th St. He also has a website where you can see the braces- www.boyamanyc.com

Happy Hunting!!!!

 

Blogger Nicolas Lazaro said ... (3:40 PM) : 

Alexander Olch man, they're made in NY. I think some are available at Lark, not sure who else carries his suspenders.

 

Anonymous Brennan said ... (3:40 PM) : 

Brooks Brothers has nice, plain braces and I have always had good luck with them. GQ did an expose on suspenders recently (maybe even last month) but I am not sure they are what you are looking for.
But yes, braces are the most convenient way to hold up ones trousers, no matter the height desired.

 

Blogger lenmeister said ... (3:40 PM) : 

Hello Sart, I've been curious about suspenders as well as of recently. Last I checked, Barneys NY on Madison had a good selection. I will go back and keep you posted.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 PM) : 

Get yourself to London, and Jermyn Street in particular, plenty of places that do them there!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:45 PM) : 

thrift stores.

 

Blogger James Cardinell said ... (3:45 PM) : 

http://store.dynend.com/
It's Will Boehlke's store (http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/)
He's got the best, and link to the other bests of menswear. I've always preferred braces- I just keep my coat on if there's no vest.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:47 PM) : 

Dig THIS!! Braided leather.
http://www.beltoutlet.com/flbrlebusuby.html
Also available elsewhere.

 

Anonymous Ed K said ... (3:49 PM) : 

Yes Scott i agree with you, its a shame you can't find any good suspenders or cuff links anymore, I do own quite a few Burberry cuff links but would love to have a more variety.
Oh by the way just stumbled on a blog today thats a copy cat of yours and its about Cats??? very weird i must say

 

Blogger Tomma said ... (3:55 PM) : 

I'm not sure if I like suspenders in general, but I love this man's look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:55 PM) : 

I want him too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:55 PM) : 

Tattoo is nice, funky!

I like suspenders too and, in difference to you other guys, I love also their look. With a borsalino hat and suspenders you look like Columbo or Humphrey Bogart, nice!

I'm 100% for suspenders!

 

Blogger Steve said ... (3:55 PM) : 

I concur with the comment above. Turnbull and Asser have a great selection of braces and also great underwear not sure if they have a shop in the U.S. but they do have an online shop. Ede & Ravenscroft's are cheaper haven't seen them live though

 

Blogger Nicholas said ... (4:01 PM) : 

www.classicwardrobe.co.uk is a good site to hit if your looking for braces, this dapper man could be in the mafia. beautiful blog x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:01 PM) : 

Try Freeman's Sporting Club on Rivington.

 

Blogger anthony said ... (4:02 PM) : 

Really nice. Enjoyable article too. Not keen on the tattoo. The shirt collar is curious. I've decided to award marks: 9/10 !

 

Blogger dbzc said ... (4:02 PM) : 

I like the double-ups. They look stylish and are more like vintage button suspenders.

Try, www.suspenders.com/products.htm

 

Blogger Instant Stylist said ... (4:03 PM) : 

This may be pretty obvious, but Paul Stuart carries nice suspenders -- not a huge selection, but nice choices. I get my husband's suspenders there.

I have to say, there is something sexy about a plain, nice pair of suspenders over a crisp white dress shirt on a man. Maybe for us women it's the equivalent of how men feel about a garter belt on a woman. Suspenders remind me of manly film noir detectives pulling a flask of scotch out of the drawer of their wooden desks while asking a red-lipsticked lady if she has an alibi. Very Perry Mason.

I wouldn't say to walk around with only suspenders and no jacket, but the suspender reveal is a special moment for us ladies at the end of the evening when we are home with our man and he is changing out of his suit.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:04 PM) : 

and now you know the pains of strapless bras.

 

Anonymous JP said ... (4:07 PM) : 

Try Seigo at 1248 Madison Ave
(between 89th St & 90th St. Very nice store owned by a very nice Japanese gentleman with unique ties and suspenders. Let me know what you think about it.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/seigo-neckwear-new-york

 

Blogger Philknoex said ... (4:07 PM) : 

I think suspenders don't look that bad. I don't know if they ship to the US but you should try http://www.albertthurston.com/

this is the classic stuff!

The most important thing is that you don't wear them with clips, but with a leather piece in combination with buttons on the inside of your pants.

Otherwise, come to the Netherlands and buy them at shoes&shirts, for example (store in Maastricht)

 

Blogger Eternal Worrier said ... (4:10 PM) : 

He looks so cool and I love the dragon.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:10 PM) : 

Try Seigo on 1248 Madison Ave
(between 89th St & 90th St). A very nice Japanese gentleman puts a unique touch to his ties and suspenders.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/seigo-neckwear-new-york

 

Blogger Rob Boddice said ... (4:13 PM) : 

I found some Thurston's - really good English braces - in Saks 5th Ave not long ago. Give them a try.
VB

 

Blogger Patrick said ... (4:13 PM) : 

This was fascinating to me - you say you broke down and bought a pair. Clearly you are not a suspender person. I'm a loyal follower of your blog but have rarely, if ever, seen you photograph a gentleman wearing suspenders. I love them so much, I've begun attaching buttons to my blue jeans and wearing them with traditional button-down shirts for precisely the reasons you mentioned. If you like them, you have to start looking on ebay and at thrift stores. My favorite ones were purchased there. Not a fan of silly ones either, but different leathers and in the narrower widths always strike a chord. Clip-ons rarely, but I confess I DO wear them in black or navy.

 

Anonymous Louise said ... (4:15 PM) : 

What Anon 3:14 pm said! Oh yeah.

 

Blogger Lillian said ... (4:15 PM) : 

i wish i knew what the place was called but there's a GREAT vintage shop on greenwich ave right off 6th and they had lots of suspenders!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:16 PM) : 

My dad exclusively wears suspenders (with bespoke suits), never belts, and he is the best dressed man I know. I think he gets them at J Press. Also perhaps Brooks Brothers?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:20 PM) : 

You can get them from albert thurston, remove the belt loops from the pants and add side adjusters

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:21 PM) : 

Saks Fifth Avenue has a good selection, as does H. Herzfeld on East 57th Street. That's where I bought my husband his first pair, and he, too, has never looked back.

 

Anonymous Christopher Gloria said ... (4:21 PM) : 

I feel the same way about suspenders as I do cufflinks. If you notice them on somebody then they are doing something wrong. Both are totally functional, but shouldn't draw unwanted attention.
(Read: Keep them concealed.)

 

Blogger FindingFashionland said ... (4:21 PM) : 

omg i love it. the tattoo, the suit, the smile the additute.. Brilliant!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

Hello Welcome to my realm i only have one brand to mention all the others need not apply

http://www.albertthurston.com/

These will not disappoint


. James

 

Anonymous Ville Raivio said ... (4:28 PM) : 

Dear Mr Schuman,

the answers to your questions can be found from www.albertthurston.com

Cordially,
Ville Raivio
Webmaster at www.keikari.com

 

Blogger JimmyP said ... (4:28 PM) : 

There is really nothing to discuss, suspenders works!
I use Albert Thurston, they are absolute top quality, and comes in 3 diffrent sizes.
As I am in Copenhagen, Denmark, I really don´t know where to find them in NY, but that must be possible, otherwise I am sure you can buy them online at http://www.albertthurston.com/

Best Jimmy

 

Blogger The Sluice Box said ... (4:34 PM) : 

The blog A Suitable Wardrobe has an excellent posting about suspenders:

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2008/05/barathea-time.html

www.thesluicebox.com

 

Anonymous Archibald said ... (4:41 PM) : 

Albert Thurston, London, supply the greatest suspenders of all time, since 1820.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:54 PM) : 

I promised a banker friend of mine some suspenders as a gift for his first big paycheck. I found that Brooks Brothers usually has a decent choice.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=233&viewAll=t&sortBy=

Although they have more belts, i think the suspenders are quite good.

 

Blogger Mina Park said ... (4:54 PM) : 

You can find some great suspenders at your local thrift/vintage store!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:12 PM) : 

let me add one more vote for albert thurston: http://www.albertthurston.com/

customer service is as good as their braces.

in fact, i learned about them from this blog!
http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/2007/08/on-streetold-school-braces-new-york.html

 

Anonymous DSC808 said ... (5:14 PM) : 

www.albertthurston.com

I have a suit made from Meyer and Mortimer in London and they make adjustable tabs for your trousers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:15 PM) : 

This is Giampaolo from Al Bazar, Milan. A great guy and very knowledgeable on suits.

 

Anonymous aggy said ... (5:17 PM) : 

Me thinks you need to start a suspenders and cufflinks line! It's also interesting that the blog "Stylesigntings" post today is also about suspenders.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:18 PM) : 

thomas pink??? i think theyre kind of endearing.

xoxo,
F

lekisskiss.blogspot.com <-- texas gal bloggin fashion from NYC!

 

Blogger The Clever Pup said ... (5:20 PM) : 

This guy's a sex-bomb. I'd blush with him in the same room. My husband would love to wear suspenders but has a hard time finding pants that are suitable.

 

Blogger Moorea Seal said ... (5:20 PM) : 

I Have found numerous FABULOUS suspenders in vintage shops all over the U.S. Seattle has a particularly large assortment in the vintage shops called Red Light. Good luck on your hunt!

 

Blogger Percy Chatsworth said ... (5:20 PM) : 

Vintage stores for suspenders and cufflinks.

Remember, one doesn't need to take off his jacket and show his undergarments! (Old rules of proper dressing) Nobody sees the suspenders, and you are left with pants which remain where they should remain.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:22 PM) : 

Paul Stuart in NYC.

Charvet in Paris.

-j

 

Anonymous Diana said ... (5:26 PM) : 

Personally, I love suspenders on a man, and I like the look of them. My husband wore them for our wedding (underneath the suiting, of course.) He had his custom fit at a Men's Wearhouse - I know, not high couture, but it worked for him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:38 PM) : 

Try Barbara Shaum, a leather craftsperson, in NYC.

 

Anonymous Merinos said ... (5:41 PM) : 

There is only one real suspender brand and that is Albert Thurston: http://www.albertthurston.com/

Also google the name "Jort Kelder", he is a celebrity dutchmen that wears suspenders all the time.

 

Anonymous Martin said ... (5:42 PM) : 

He went over the top with the blue-ish croc strap, instead of sticking with a brown one.

 

Blogger rebekah said ... (5:47 PM) : 

Wow, all stripes and spots! (And dragon tattoo-ed!). Suspenders definitely take me back to another time. Makes me think of fin de siecle Irish immigrants in New York City.
http://stripedandspotted.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger パスカル said ... (5:47 PM) : 

Come to London. You'll find them everywhere in Jermyn Street

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (5:47 PM) : 

He is rocking the suspenders! x

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger Megui said ... (5:54 PM) : 

as a girl, i totally love the way suspenders look on man. don't get me wrong, suspenders can make a man look super stupid, but if worn well, they make a man look very very elegant.
i know the exact places to get suspenders in barcelona, i don't think it will help right now, but BOW-TIE or MIL have elegant ones (my older brother uses suspenders, he loves them).
hope it hepls :)

 

Blogger SabinePsynopsis said ... (5:55 PM) : 

Sorry, can't help with the suspenders, but still wanted to say that this guy is so old school hot in a slightly criminal looking way. Like straight from 'The Sting'. Great picture!

 

Blogger Briana said ... (5:57 PM) : 

I love suspenders in general and use them fairly often. I get all of mine at thrift stores and flea markets and have been able to find some nicely decorative ones with elegant engravings on the metal snap parts. They also always have a big selection of the braces, usually more than the snaps. Happy hunting!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:58 PM) : 

Barker Black has braces....and lovely mens shoes

 

Blogger Addict said ... (6:00 PM) : 

This guy is cool, with his tattoo and the suspenders. The graying at the temples also works.

http://outfitaddict.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:06 PM) : 

I live in S. Texas, very, very hot weather, therefore, my late husband seldom wore a jacket. So, his show of style were beautiful ties and great braces. One day when I introduced my self to a famous politician, he didn't remember my husband's name but remembered his ties.
Great picture of this stylish man... if he could just loose the tattoo

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:15 PM) : 

I think suspenders are so sexy. He looks fabulous!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:20 PM) : 

Thurston is the best.

 

Blogger Kaila said ... (6:27 PM) : 

GREAT! Love the peak of the tattoo!!

www.cestclassique.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Corinne and Brad Evans said ... (6:31 PM) : 

Check out Albert Thurston online. I buy all mine from them...I'm a 31-year-old banker in Atlanta and have not worn a belt with a suit since college. Make sure to take the belt loops off your trousers.

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (6:34 PM) : 

I don't know Scott, but I'm guessing that after this post & with your fashion influence, we will see stores that sell them popping up all over!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:36 PM) : 

You can find a wide selection of braces (suspenders) in any shirtmaker on Jermyn Street. That guy looks sharp

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 PM) : 

Brooks Brothers makes great suspenders, a couple seasons ago they even had a pair of formal ones with prince of wales pattern, but they have plain blues and blacks.

Paul Stuart also makes great suspenders, if you are feeling crazy they even have some lime greens and reds!

Good Luck!

 

Anonymous Payton said ... (6:39 PM) : 

vintage, vintage, vintage. I have found some of the best suspenders in vintage shops. Like new.

 

Blogger The Vegaran said ... (6:41 PM) : 

Yes braces! They are not appreciated enough. I have a pair that's red, that I have owned since I was 8, but they scarcely sell them anywhere. I'd recommend going to markets in provincial towns in Europe, they're more likely to sell them, but that's a far trip for a pair of braces. A handful of vintage shops here in Toronto sell them, so try vintage shops in New York, there should be at least a few that still sell braces.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:45 PM) : 

Try Amercian apparel. I used to work there and they had some. I know there are some awkwardly bright yellow ones but there's a some of a nice shade of blue :) goodluck!

 

Blogger Angela said ... (6:46 PM) : 

I have a black pair and never wear them. Don't get me wrong though, I love them. I should say I don't wear them because I keep forgetting that I have them.

 

Blogger CW said ... (6:47 PM) : 

Almost any good mens shop in NYC will have a selection of button or clasp-style suspenders (braces, for you UKspeakers). Alternately, go online. There are also side-style suspenders (no back strap) available from Duluth Trading and other casual online outlets. These are better for jeans, chinos, and any trousers in which you are more active than suit or sportcoat trousers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:50 PM) : 

Have you come across this?

http://www.bownsbespoke.com/albertthurston.htm

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:55 PM) : 

Excuse me people... Despite the fact that I'm italian... I must admit that a one stop and satisfaction for suspenders is Brooks Brothers (anyone?!) They have a big selection and they are very classy.

At least the ones that are sold here in the Brooks Brothers shop in Milan.

Edo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:57 PM) : 

He looks cool but he is just wearing them as an accessory, they aren't holding his pants up and they are a size too big.

I spent years constantly pulling my pants up until in middle age I finally bought some braces/suspenders and a new era dawned.

I then spent several more years buying every brand imaginable from all over the world via the internet until eventually after numerous different brands and types I found Thurstons so another vote for them, their classic design and quality of manufacture are head and shoulders above all the others.

Remember too that size is an issue. Although you can adjust them to fit if they are too big the yoke at the back will be uncomfortably high so go for the smallest size that will reach over. The guy in your photo is wearing a size way too big, you can tell by how high the adjustment clips are, they should only be a a few inches above the bottom yokes rather than up on his chest.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:13 PM) : 

i love a man in suspenders.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:15 PM) : 

Faute de goût: on ne met pas une cravate à pois avec un costume rayé et une chemise à lignes. Par contre, le tatouage c'est rigolo, ça fait un peu bad boy qui s'est embourgeoisé.

Manu

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:18 PM) : 

Yes on braces/suspenders. I find (even as a young man with few opportunities to rock my favorite suits) there is really no question as to the superiority of braces over belts with fine men's clothing (western suits aside). To be honest I spend my working life farming in overalls, which carry the same advantages over into work attire.

No on silly braces/cufflinks. I am nearly always disappointed with the silliness of the cufflinks offered by my local retailers. Luckily/sadly my father's understatedly elegant silver Art Deco links are now mine.

Suggestions about retailers in the NYC area, maybe Marsh's or Mitchell's up in CT. they are both now related to Wilkes Bashford my favorite store in SF, but if you are ever in Northern California you will be well served visiting Peter Navin in Sacramento (a little over an hour from SF), along with his outstanding custom gentlemen's clothing he also stocks a notable selection of cufflinks and braces.

Good luck with your new interest, welcome to the Belts Are For Casual Clothing Club.

Kylan H

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:20 PM) : 

The best cufflinks can be found at antique shows that have jewellery collectors on site. Try it. I have found many fabulous pairs, men's, that I wear...even thought I am a lady.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:33 PM) : 

I donn't know where to find suspenders and cufflinks in NYC but if you'r in the vacinity of Amsterdam go to the english hatter they have a wide selection of classic ( so no silly ones) suspenders and cufflinks

 

Blogger *sunday* said ... (7:43 PM) : 

I always wonder why my dad wears suspenders over a belt and i never bothered to ask him, but now i know..

i say stock up while in Milano!!

 

Anonymous loolah said ... (7:51 PM) : 

I love braces. Always have. I like them out in the open, un-hidden, taking in the view, seeing and being seen.

But ONLY if they're buttoned, and not those awful clip-on things.

Liberty of London used to do a stirling range. Whether or not they still do I couldn't say because I now live in Sydney.

I like the blokey in the picture - the braces and the tat are a marriage made in stylistic heaven.

 

Blogger AtomikBomb said ... (7:54 PM) : 

I started wearing the occasional suspenders as a teenager in the '90s (oh, the return of punk-rock...). Even to this day, I'm still making my own. I find that the metal and the elastics are easier to find then already made ones. If you don't have the time or patience, it's pretty easy to find a good pair in Montreal!

 

Anonymous Helen said ... (8:03 PM) : 

from a womans perspective this gentlemans look is incredibly sexy, and I'm not a huge suit fan, but man...he wears it well.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:09 PM) : 

Log on to Albert Thurston. If they don't have it, you don't need it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:35 PM) : 

Scott, I had the same problem. Solution: have some pants made, preferably by Ambrosio in Napoli, or any reputable tailor in NYC. Braces are best found in London. Regards,
Byron

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:38 PM) : 

Three words: Mork from Ork.

 

Blogger chibi said ... (8:38 PM) : 

YES SUSPENDERS!!!
I just bought one for myself and they work superbly!
It is a shame not many men wear it anymore, with the buttons on their pants specifically for their suspenders etc... I think suspenders on men look very nice :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 PM) : 

All you need to know about wearing suspenders or any type of gentleman's attire can be learnt from a girl: Janelle Monae!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:46 PM) : 

On a recent trip to Boston I came across the store (and the man) Bobby from Boston. He stocks a wonderful array of vintage braces in both clip-on and button styles. In store I saw over 50 braces (got two of them) and was informed that he has two warehouses of extra vintage clothing. Not only are his suspenders great but he's got wonderful american vintage clothing. Great place to look.

 

Blogger The Gent. said ... (9:03 PM) : 

For me suspenders are very elegant items, they work for almost evry outfit.
Thanks Scott

 

Blogger stoneandcloth said ... (9:03 PM) : 

suspenders are pretty cool, especially on women. but also on older men, they give their outfits more character with a classic touch.



stoneandcloth.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous kagitsune said ... (9:20 PM) : 

Try thrift/resale stores. That's where I found mine. <3

And I personally *love* suspenders showing. Especially with tattoos. :D (wonderful shot)

As a girl interested in menswear adopted for women's street fashion, I think I'm just going to go ahead and read all these lovely comments. Should be educational. ^^

 

Anonymous Dr. K said ... (9:33 PM) : 

Just remember, if you plan on wearing suspenders with a suit, do NOT use clip-ons: get classic suspenders with leather button loops. Have your tailor remove the belt loops on the suit trousers and affix buttons to the insides of your waistband (four in front, two in back). Not wearing braces myself, I'm not familiar with all the manufacturers, but I do know Albert Thurston has been making quality pairs for a while; if I wanted a good pair, I'd start by looking there.

 

Blogger Caitlin said ... (9:36 PM) : 

My brother-in-law is only 20 and he is swears by suspenders.

 

Blogger Sydney said ... (9:54 PM) : 

The tie is the best part.. I love this

http://bigorangetaxii.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger CDS said ... (10:05 PM) : 

There's nothing quite like a man who has confidence and can dress. Suspenders...takes a certain kind of man. Kudos!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 PM) : 

He is so hot. Perfect. Look at that smile.

 

Blogger Laura said ... (10:14 PM) : 

suspenders = sexy

allsienna.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:24 PM) : 

I spent two years looking for a beautiful pair of simple but interesting braces - eventually i got a tweed pair by rag & bone and I know they have others.

The men who I've met who have great braces have always said they got them vintage, the best are old braces going back decades.

 

Blogger Yoli said ... (10:54 PM) : 

I LOVE SUSPENDERS! His are so chic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:37 PM) : 

I love suspenders even though I am a girl and I agree it's hard to find good quality braces. The high street seems to only make cheap plastic versions but I did manage to see some gorgeous ones in Ebisu Jeans (pleasantly surprised) and Brooke's Brothers seems to have some nice ones, too. I hope that good quality braces trend will come one day then the choices will expand exponentially!

 

Blogger kpf said ... (11:45 PM) : 

My Dad looked so great in his suspenders! I wonder what happened to his collection. They're sexy and manly and wonderful - don't go back to belts.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 AM) : 

Check out David Owen's vintage clothing on 154 Orchard. There's great vintage suspenders and cufflinks there!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:12 AM) : 

I love the contrast of the fabulous suit with the tattoo...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 AM) : 

I have been wearing suspenders for about two years now, I had all my suits worked out so they have buttons for them. I think they are the best decision I've made and I even love the way I can accesorize with them. If you're looking for some suspenders I recommend two shops, one is Señor in Barcelona, they have a great selection by Leyva and Pep Mateu and also a shop owned by a very nice lady in the corner of Via del Corso and Via Frattina, she has a selection of about 100! Good luck with that ;)

 

Anonymous pRiyA said ... (12:39 AM) : 

He has an amazing smile, a face radiating with happiness and confidence. Gotta love him instantly :)

 

Anonymous NYMINDED said ... (1:04 AM) : 

My statistics professor was big on style and he would add points to my grade when ever I would attend class in an outfit that he considered stylish. I always wear suspenders with my suits, and he would tell me "Firemen wear suspenders, gentlemen wear braces" lol I will never for get that.
As for a good place to get them, my tailor always has a big selection and tells me they are Italian. Jpress has some nice ones but Tim Taylor on Tool Time-Home Improvement has the best.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:33 AM) : 

Hi Scott, suspenders are my favorite accessories for men. They are very good with suit but also with jeans. Here is link for shop, where you can find a lot of different types of susspenders: http://www.tie-rack.co.uk/. Regards from Prague, Czech Republic... Denisa

 

Blogger Arlenesfelt said ... (2:15 AM) : 

Yes the braces are great, but bottom line, this guys appeal goes way beyond that. The hair, the smile, his demeanor all make me want to know him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:26 AM) : 

Odd collar, pants too high, hate the tattoo........yet love him. Must be his apparent ease and big smile. Or wait, is it the braces? Hmmm.

 

Anonymous domesticgodess!! said ... (2:31 AM) : 

Dont know where you can get braces outside of Perth, Western Australia, but I just bought my husband a magnificent pair of cuff links by Thora Walton AND they come in the coolest box with tassles!! They are designed by the wife in a whole family who designs cufflinks (or so the guy who owns the store told me) this is the website http://www.wdlondon.co.uk/

 

Blogger Blindcopy said ... (2:49 AM) : 

wow. fabulous kind-of-mafiosi style. love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:52 AM) : 

Dear sir, Colin Thurston, in London, are the best suspenders in the world and you can find those ones that a proper gentleman ought to wear.
Sincerely.

 

Blogger Volga said ... (3:14 AM) : 

I don't have an advice on where to buy them, but I share the positive feeling to them for their functionality. Me and my 6 years old daughter just love them. I also like look of them on a man or a woman or a child.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 AM) : 

I think I'm in love! :) He looks effortlessly fabulous. Another great shot that captures a wonderful vibe.
J

 

Blogger Yanes Alicante said ... (4:02 AM) : 

It's difficult to find good bracelets for men. Here very good ones. J'aime.

http://myjewelsandmore.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:04 AM) : 

There is a little zeitgeisty about your posting Scott. I adopted braces when Wall Street came out back in the day.... and here we are the sequel out and I wonder if there is something about the confidence it generates that is defying the times a little now....

the key with suspenders is a good drape with the trouser and preferably a fuller cut or better still pleats (gosh, shock, horror!) that allow the fabric to fall just so.

and yes, the shameless swan about when you take your jacket off is certainly a mojo moment!

cheers

Phillip
Canberra.

 

Blogger Michael Joseph Owens said ... (4:12 AM) : 

This dude couldn't be sexier. Everything works here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:16 AM) : 

Come to London or Oxford mate.

 

Anonymous Nici said ... (4:22 AM) : 

You could also check out some stores (online and off) that sell Old West Clothing for Cowboy Action Shooting and/or reenactment. Suspenders are a must for any man shooting CAS, so the retailers specialising in the clothes needed always have a good selection of suspenders (with buttons of course).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:26 AM) : 

Albert Thurston and Turnbull and Asser are the best choices in London for a wide range of suspenders.
In NYC I bought very nice suspenders vintage style at Barker Black (198 Elizabeth St)in which you can also find beautiful shoes.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:37 AM) : 

You're right...suspenders do work, specially with Suits...try them with tight jeans and its not the same...tho probably if they're tight enough, you won't need them!;)

 

Anonymous Ingjerd Cathrin said ... (4:38 AM) : 

I'd say search ebay for suspenders! I'm so hooked on ebay right now.. I can find anything I like there.. and I like som weird stuff that I could never find in today's stores. :)

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (4:43 AM) : 

I love that picture and i find it elegant,modern and masculin at the same time.I loved to use suspenders and i found it confortable (when i was in my 20's) but people looked at me as i were disguise.(I confess:in the spring/sommer with a conotier hat)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 AM) : 

There's a pettern here - London. Where else in the world are there entire streets devoted to just 'purveyors of gentlemen's attire'? Braces are ubiquitous here - even the high street sells them (John Lewis, Marks & Spencer etc.), and not the kind with clips! Most Londoners are a little behind the rest of the world. We still think it's inexcusuable to wear a belt with a suit. Scott, you may have a pair of mine.
NW
P.s. I should mention you'd get an unwelcome surprise if you asked for suspenders in London.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:04 AM) : 

i like the suspender look

http://bulbizar.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Henning Pfeifer said ... (5:13 AM) : 

Suspenders are cooler not worn with a suit but more proletarian, skinhead like...
They are also better if you are skinny, in my opinion

 

Blogger Julia said ... (5:15 AM) : 

Ahh Braces. I was wondering what i would find as I scrolled down the picture as suspenders are what wewomen wear to hold up our stockings. I love braces,very English, I love the look of them and used to wear them myself as a teenager it was part of 'my look' at the time. England is the place to go to find them. A Gentlemans outfitters is where to look. I wish you luck, I think they look great! Julia

 

Blogger Back said ... (5:15 AM) : 

I totally agree.....suspenders really do help pants to stay where they should be......

But i do like some funny patterned suspenders...is cute to show them :)

 

Blogger Steven said ... (5:51 AM) : 

In Amsterdam you can buy them at every men's wear shop. You should google 'Jort Kelder' a Dutch prominent who is famous in The Netherlands because of his suspenders.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:18 AM) : 

Yes, us English lads have always been faithful to braces…

I believe the above poster is referring to Albert Thurston: http://www.albertthurston.com/
who, indeed, is a fine purveyor of men's braces. I also like his black calf wallet.

 

Blogger Bell said ... (6:33 AM) : 

I think the suspenders are practical and comfortable, make us thinner the tummy to men over forty. Models are well suited for safe.

 

Blogger Cyclo2000 said ... (6:36 AM) : 

Ede and Ravenscroft on the corner of Saville Row hold a nice range of braces (women wear suspenders to keep their stockings up).

I wear them with all my suits. A "correct" english look is to match the braces to the colour of your shirt.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:19 AM) : 

Very beautiful!
Ana Paula (from Brazil)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:19 AM) : 

Nice Silk-suspenders or leather ones!

www.bavarian-suspenders.com

 

Anonymous Borja Agramunt said ... (7:21 AM) : 

Hey Scott! I am a big fan of suspenders just because they make you look taller and thinner with the right suit. I always use them when wearing a suit.
Check out Hermés, they have lovely silk suspenders, and they will last like forever!
See you in Spain!

 

Blogger Fuji said ... (7:29 AM) : 

Albert Thurston makes very high quality suspenders, I don't know if you can buy the in the US, but in the UK they are reasonably easy to find. They are made the traditional way using cat gut.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:29 AM) : 

Albert Thurston are the best of the best find them here - http://www.classicwardrobe.co.uk
I only wear braces with a suit too. Lush.

 

Blogger The Little Marina said ... (7:32 AM) : 

Do you know who is Pedro J Ramirez?
Is the director of a spanish newspaper and he´s well-known because of his suspenders. He´s got every color you can imagine!! :)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trends-for-the-Masses-TFTM/107936765914304?ref=ts

 

Blogger Álvaro said ... (7:53 AM) : 

love the mix of the suit & the tattoos

 

Anonymous Kerry said ... (7:59 AM) : 

You won't see many suspenders with the leather button tabs these days because they're a little old-fashioned. They go with trousers that have the buttons sewn along the waistband, not too common nowadays.

Also, elastic suspenders should be treated like ladies' brassieres when it comes to laundering. Hand wash in tepid water and hang to dry in order to preserve the elastic.

 

Anonymous Middleseason said ... (8:24 AM) : 

Why to hide them? The suspenders give elegance and an orginal look. As in your shot anyway.

 

Anonymous Duke of Winchester said ... (8:30 AM) : 

Now look here, old chap.
1) Braces not suspenders.
2) No gentleman would dream of wearing a belt with his suit trouserings.
3) always button-on, not clip-on braces
and 4) for more sartorial advice of this sort, I find that www.thechap.net and www.sheridanclub.co.uk are good places to start.

Pip-pip.

G

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:57 AM) : 

Eek. If I squint my eyes and get rid of the suspenders and the tatoo(!!) he looks almost nice.

A haircut would be nice, too.

If suspenders are to be worn, I think it best to do it old world. Not this flashy way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 AM) : 

There is a tie shop on the lower level of the Rockefeller Center concourse that offers a surprisingly wonderful selection of suspenders. I have two pairs and I find them to be the perfect width. They have clips rather than the button on straps I would prefer but the hardware is of a much higher quality than most I have seen. I think they have at least a dozen solid colors.

 

Blogger Angel said ... (9:16 AM) : 

I've been wearing suspenders since I was about 15, and only silk ones at that. People don't understand a proper pair of braces do not snap back. I have a few pair of random pairs. a flowery pink with little sail boats, Confederate flags ( which I do not wear anymore) some crazy black with disco looking colored squares on them.. but my fave are my black, or red pair. I can never find a pair that is affordable at any department store, I've had most of my luck at local mens stores, Grady Ervin & Co. here in Charleston is where I go.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 AM) : 

he looks great

it makes me laugh

the contrast between the dragon bracelets
and chic outfit

personally i prefer sagging pants even to go to work
in Madrid many men wear suspenders

see u

 

Blogger Matthew said ... (10:06 AM) : 

Oh the insurmountable challenges of Scott Schuman's life...finding suspenders and cufflinks

 

Blogger Natalia said ... (10:13 AM) : 

great, great and blue is everywhere! :)

The (im)Perfect Harmony

 

Blogger Christina said ... (10:20 AM) : 

My husband wears braces with certain suits and looks great. I love them.

fridayswithcilantro.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Terry said ... (10:29 AM) : 

Now that's Hedge Fund Dressing. Really close to Apparel I design.

Check out at: http://terrycorbettbespoke.com/

 

Blogger Alicia said ... (10:33 AM) : 

vintage! the fancier the clips the better, imo.

 

Blogger cherry arceo said ... (10:42 AM) : 

i haven't worn a suspender yet my entire life, not that i don't want to because I do. the opportunity just hasn't come yet. but i do own one. it's yellow and I can't wait to wear it soon!

 

Anonymous Alek said ... (11:13 AM) : 

In Switzerland:
http://www.affolter-debeaufort.com/page/home_frameset.htm
Produkte->Accessoires->Suspenders

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:49 AM) : 

I used to be an assistant buyer at Brooks Brothers...and bought braces, among other things.

BB is the place to go --- they are simple, classic, well-made, and best of all, affordable.

 

Anonymous Giovanna said ... (11:57 AM) : 

I love the tatoo! His outfit is very classy too
xxx
Giovanna
www.bohomarket.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:06 PM) : 

Very Stylish !!! Great colors...

http://valentineavoh.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:12 PM) : 

I don't know about suspenders, but there is a woman who sells vintage cuff links out of her tiny store on 9th between 2nd and 1st ave. You should check it out! xxx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 PM) : 

Does this mean the Gordon Gekko stigma is finally gone?

 

Anonymous Pico said ... (12:23 PM) : 

You should order them from Albert Thurston, they are great and the only classic ones!
(www.albertthurston.com/)

 

Anonymous Charles said ... (12:25 PM) : 

It's already been commented on numerous times here and, not to be too repetitive, but these are braces. They are not suspenders. Period.

More to the point, I've never had any real problem finding braces and have them in braided leather, fabric, and silk.

I'm not a fan of the elastic ones, but that's a personal preference. And though I did not with my last two, I generally have buttons added when I purchase my suits.

I do not wear suspenders, although I'll admit I did as a child. And with a belt? No comment!

Last, but not least, Robert Talbot makes some great cufflinks. I have four or five pair, and get complimented on them almost every time I wear a pair.

 

Blogger Marie said ... (12:47 PM) : 

the contrast of tattoo and outfit is just soo cool!


http://from-a-to-zero.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:50 PM) : 

has Syms gone out of business-
that is where i always bought suspenders in cincy -

john in nc

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

the only thing i have to say about suspender is: show them off!!!! they look great!

 

Blogger Btucker said ... (1:40 PM) : 

The best I've seen are here: http://www.basilracuk.com/

Hooray for suspenders!

 

Blogger meindabindi said ... (1:40 PM) : 

I like the suspenders/tattoo/mixed stripes look, but not with the polka dot tie or the long hair. Too much blue, too much hair for an older man, handsome though he is. IMO, not many older men can pull off long hair.

 

Blogger Tanya said ... (1:46 PM) : 

Braces with button loops!
Next step: take all your trousers to tailor, have belt loops removed & buttons for the suspenders sewn into the waistband.

Will from A Suitable Wardrobe might have some tips http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/

 

Blogger Tania said ... (2:01 PM) : 

As you don't want to show them off, only hold up your trousers correctly, Brooks Brothers seems the perfectly reasonable option. My design-conscious Milanese husband grabbed his braces there and has been very satisfied. And I too had to get used to hearing them called braces, since in the US, my dear UK counterparts, braces are what they use to wire your teeth straight. (Insert unflattering remark about British teeth here.) And women do not hold up their stockings with suspenders in the US because (1) pantyhose have existed for decades, (2) few of us have even worn pantyhose for about 15 years, and (3) at any rate we call them garters, which only fetishy brides ever buy. Brooks Brothers will know what you mean whatever you call them, but in Jermyn Street you probably had better say braces.

 

Blogger workroom said ... (2:19 PM) : 

I agree, Albert Thurston! Best suspenders/braces
http://www.albertthurston.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM) : 

Now that the sequel to "Wall Street" is coming out, I think you won't have any trouble finding suspenders.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting