This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Why Don't You... by Diana Vreeland

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Why Don't You... by Diana Vreeland

Paint a map of the world on all four walls of your boys' nursery so they won't grow up with a provincial point of view?

Comments on "Why Don't You... by Diana Vreeland"

 

Blogger Jem said ... (7:07 PM) : 

not just in boys rooms, girls need to learn these things too! this is a great quote though... Diana Vreeland was amazing in my opinion.

 

Blogger Christa Weil said ... (7:10 PM) : 

Daffy on its face but true to the core. Which is pretty much Vreeland in a nutshell.

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (7:11 PM) : 

Great idea!

 

Blogger cewek said ... (7:38 PM) : 

Don't forget little girls rooms also!

 

Blogger Punctuation Mark said ... (8:17 PM) : 

Very wise... people need to see the big picture from an early age... this world is too big to not explore it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:21 PM) : 

she never fails to make me laugh with her wonderful and sometimes cynical advise, thanks Sartorialist

 

Blogger 6-3-2 said ... (8:43 PM) : 

Maybe, but it will stop being cool once he gets into high school.

 

Blogger KohCo said ... (9:03 PM) : 

She really was amazingly fab in every single way

http://kohandco.blogspot.com

 

Blogger The Red Velvet Shoe said ... (9:29 PM) : 

Amen.

 

Blogger RR said ... (9:30 PM) : 

This statement intrigues me.. i've traveled to a number of developing countries and find trouble in the meaning of 'provincial'. From a worldly perspective, I see a unique sense of sophistication in these so called provincial areas. Better opt, travel with your kids!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 PM) : 

What's wrong with a provincial point of view?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 PM) : 

i appreciate this quote. i've planned for a while now that when i have kids i'm going to do that. i won't paint it though, urban outfitters has wall murals. but regardless i'm so glad to see this quote, makes me feel like i have a good plan!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 PM) : 

Thank you!

 

Anonymous BellaMouse said ... (12:38 AM) : 

Very, very good advice. I feel like there's a whole generation of people who need this advice STAT.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 AM) : 

So how do you explain the oh-so provincial attitudes of quite a few (by no means all) New Yorkers? Mommies didn't get them maps?

 

Anonymous Nadia said ... (12:54 AM) : 

oh please putting shit on the wall will not make ur kid anymore cultured than if you dont get them to experience it. Why not teach the child different foods, songs and art, as well as, allow them to befriend others from different races. Its up to the parents interaction with the child and the environment...not simply putting something up on the wall and expect them to 'get it'.

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (12:57 AM) : 

This is a fab idea for every child's room! xo

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger Nicky Dunbar said ... (1:47 AM) : 

"Why Don't You wash your blond child's hair in dead champagne, as they do in France."

But my question is, who had dead champagne lying around?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:50 AM) : 

I was just thinking about time hanging a world map in my 7 year-olds room, to spark her curiosity about the world. I'm thinking of making a game of having her choose a country every week and researching it, eating at restaurants that serve its food, etc. Thank God I live in NYC.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:32 AM) : 

It's wrong not to see yourself as a part of the whole universe, to think that your yard, your town is it.
Very wise sentence by Diana Vreekand.

 

Anonymous laura said ... (5:18 AM) : 

D.V. forever! I just finished her autobiography and I am in love with this little canary bird of fashion history.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:26 AM) : 

It's really perplexing that while encouraging a world view, this was restricted to only half of the population!! Is this a direct quote from Ms. Vreeland? I don't know whether I'd feel better or worse if it was ...

 

Blogger butterfly307 said ... (5:27 AM) : 

I think this is a good advice...
Nothing is wrong with provincial point of view if it doesn't assume that any other kind of view is wrong/twisted/funny... and according to my experience - it often does.

 

Anonymous Roses said ... (6:03 AM) : 

Girls need big dreams too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:14 AM) : 

This statement is interesting. I'm not sure what it means. It seems to be to imply that a 'local' manner is less desirable than, say, a 'global' (more sophisticated) one? Since when did 'provincial' become so pejorative? I come from a very rural province and have never been privileged, financially or otherwise. I doubt a map on a wall would give me some sort of broad-mindedness. Moreover, I doubt that travel (virtual or otherwise) gives many people an ability to appreciate other people, where they come from, and their many diverse ways of living. Some of the most narrow-minded people I know have been great travellers. I feel I'm able to relate to many people from many backgrounds despite my 'provincial' background, accent and mannerisms. Screw the map - just see the beauty in everyone from everywhere.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:58 AM) : 

I love provincial point of view!

 

Blogger Alexandre Camarao said ... (8:39 AM) : 

better travelling...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

"I'm thinking of making a game of having her choose a country every week and researching it, eating at restaurants that serve its food, etc. Thank God I live in NYC."

Believing NYC is the center of the universe and that cultural stimulation cannot be found elsewhere is no better than having "a provincial point of view"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:11 PM) : 

divine diana! loving the vintag shots scott! i have a glorious collection of my own family travelling the world in the 30's and 40's - glamourous, chic and impeccably put together - so inspiring!

 

Blogger unoqueopina said ... (1:21 PM) : 

First they drew maps, then they conquered.

The foundations of cosmopolitanism are questionable to say the least.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:23 PM) : 

Very true. When I was six, my parents took my sisters and brother and me to Europe, and again when I was 12 and 15. This was on a prop plane that had to land in Greenland to refuel. Travel was not common then as it is now, but I remember clearly the different foods, cultures, the railroad stations in England! It broadened my outlook and gave me a fantastic thirst for travel all of my life.

 

Blogger Ian said ... (1:50 PM) : 

I think that it is the idea and the spirit of the statement, moreso than the literal interpretation of it, that makes it so striking and realistic.

The idea behind it is that your child will see, on a daily basis, the other areas of the world and, in turn, hopefully, be inspired to want to learn more about the culture abroad, and travel out to experience the world.

Although I am not certain if my mother knew of this quote exactly, the idea and essence of this was certainly expressed by her to me, by way of showing me new things, introducing me to a vast array of reading material and, when her finances permitted, taking myself and my younger brother on trips, first within the US and then, as we became of age, outside of the United States borders.

Don't be so literal, some of you. Embrace the spirit and idea of the statement!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:35 PM) : 

Love the idea...and Diana Vreeland!

atticusshop.com

 

Blogger 50two said ... (4:38 PM) : 

ahahahaha @ the people who took it literally.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:00 PM) : 

I have a strong feeling that this quote is being appreciated just because it was posted on this blog--this is not an original idea at all, let alone that maps are the best wall decoration anyway.

 

Blogger Anne said ... (7:30 PM) : 

Ha, very true. I can name a handful of guys whose mothers should've done that. Such a shame when people never really leave their small hometown and realize all the things that are out there.

 

Blogger Alice Liddell Blog said ... (7:40 PM) : 

Oh this makes me wish I had a little boy!! I might have to treat myself.

p.s. Anonymous: does it really matter if it's posted here as an 'original idea'? It brought a little light to my day, I think that counts for more.

 

Blogger B said ... (9:47 PM) : 

One of her boys grew up and was my grad school professor. There was nothing provincial about him. He was utterly charming and, perhaps not so surprising, always beautifully dressed.

 

Anonymous alexandra said ... (9:30 PM) : 

my mother brought home a globe for me when i was four. to this day i remember "playing" with it for hours. i would spin the globe and while it was whirling i would close my eyes, point my finger and place it on the globe to slow its spinning. as soon as it stopped i would open my eyes and see where it landed. my mother would play this game often with me, telling me stories about all these far off places. for as long as i can remember i have been obsessed with travelling, learning about other cultures and experiencing things that are outside my "personal world."

not only was a great at geography growing up, but the desire to live and learn outside of my comfort zone has really driven me to interesting places in my life (both physically and intellectually)... and i'm only 21! i can't imagine where the next 21 years of my life will take me and i can't wait!

-and i don't think i would be who i am or where i am if it wasn't for my mother and her globe-

 

Blogger bintbattuta said ... (10:40 PM) : 

This is exactly what I plan on doing! I have a huge world map hanging up on my wall now and always wished I could paint it all over my room.

PS: I don't think the quote is meant to belittle "provincial" points of view, I think it's simply meant to provide an alternate method of teaching your children about the rest of the world :)

 

Blogger brrock said ... (12:01 AM) : 

I think this idea is playful and fun, sort of along the lines of Sark... but I strongly support the idea of being less provincial... not in terms of inherited customs, traditions, and most especially, clothes and food, which adds beauty and richness to the world, but in terms of being unaware/intolerant of of the ways of other communities

 

Blogger Maria Ana said ... (11:47 AM) : 

great ideia! i'll do that to my room;)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting