This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Rosie, Vintage Photo Contest

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Rosie, Vintage Photo Contest

Recently I ask my grandmother to send me some old pictures of herself and our family, as my girlfriend and I started decorated the apartment. This is one of those photos. She was 14, a freshman in high school and apparently on Belle Isle in Michigan. She looks beautiful. Also, she said at that time, 1949, she made her own clothes, which is pretty neat.

Comments on "Rosie, Vintage Photo Contest"

 

Blogger Pronto. Calcei said ... (6:28 PM) : 

Very nice shot.

 

Anonymous Pavitra said ... (6:32 PM) : 

What spunk :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 PM) : 

wow, fabulous! it's such a timeless photo! could also have been taken nowadays! just amazing!

http://some-kind-of-style.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Diana Mieczan said ... (6:41 PM) : 

That is one great photo....Great idea to decorate your apartment with old pictures!
Your grandma must be so proud!
Greetings,
Diana

 

Blogger stylenuggets said ... (6:44 PM) : 

Nothing like a black and white photo to bring back that era.Lovely

 

Blogger The Baker said ... (6:54 PM) : 

I love it!
If only I looked so cool when I was fourteen (and made my own clothes).

getyourowncake.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Kar said ... (6:56 PM) : 

wow so cool, i love your website. I'm trying to make it like yours!

 

Blogger 6-3-2 said ... (7:04 PM) : 

Belle Isle is specifically a large island in the Detroit river with landscaping by Frederick Law Olmstead. It has been a long time inner city get away for Detroiters.

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (7:13 PM) : 

Awesome! I love this photo and her expression seems also defiant. It is cool she was making her own clothes as well. x

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger Fabiola "Fab" said ... (7:23 PM) : 

how cool is that!!! I love this photo!! she's gorgeous!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:35 PM) : 

a follow up to this idea that would be great would be to show remarkable men and women such as these...(wow rosie you go girl) and then show them now or as they were in their elder years....

these photo's help to remind us all that we did not invent cool. and to help put perspective on aging.

 

Blogger beruno said ... (7:38 PM) : 

love it! :)

 

Blogger mina said ... (7:44 PM) : 

gorgeous.

 

Blogger Jill GG said ... (7:44 PM) : 

Love those bangs!

 

Blogger Izzen said ... (8:01 PM) : 

Nice shot.

http://izzenxoxo.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Kate Rose said ... (9:06 PM) : 

what the?!? fourteen?!?!?!? She looks so mature for a fourteen year old...people just keep looking younger and younger these days...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:11 PM) : 

It's so amazing to see our elders as young people. She's got flair! very stylish,

 

Blogger Yoli said ... (9:56 PM) : 

I love when you show us vintage pictures. Very touching. She was indeed beautiful and style runs in the family.

 

Blogger secretleaves said ... (10:18 PM) : 

She IS beautiful and has a great sense of style. And I agree with one of the other comments that this photo is timeless...it could be now. Love this kind of thing--thanks for sharing it.

Sharon

 

Anonymous fashion clothing said ... (10:28 PM) : 

Beautiful lady. It is a pity that the art of making your own clothes at home has been lost. I think it has killed a lot of the fashion creativity within us.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 PM) : 

fierce!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:16 AM) : 

I love her attitude! I, too, wish I had could have had that kind of confidence at 14. It makes me happy to see Belle Isle represented here! It's a beautiful place - definitely one of Detroit's gems. This picture was taken during Detroit's heyday, and it's amazing to think about what it must have been like back then. Detroit is still an amazing city, but it has changed, and parts of Belle Isle feel forgotten.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:21 AM) : 

A waif that made her own clothes. How ahead of the times for the 1950's!

Olive

www.VisforOlive.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Milt-fresh_best-dressed said ... (12:26 AM) : 

GREAT PHOTO!!! LOVE VINTAGE PHOTOGRAPHY!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:30 AM) : 

This pciture is awesome, grandma is a total bad ass! She looks a bit defiant and timelessly beautiful. The fact that she made the clothes makes it even better!

 

Blogger diana said ... (1:32 AM) : 

simply beautiful!
i love looking at my mothers and grandmothers old pictures! <3

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:34 AM) : 

Hi Scott,
I think you are going a bit too much "vintage" lately. I do not only refer to this pic, I refer to a lot of your latest posts... "old"-looking interiors...
ugh.
Its horrible. This affection for a fake-looking past. American Sentimentalism.
Get over it! Please!

 

Blogger MEO said ... (5:03 AM) : 

I love this story .. great vintage photos .. I wrote on my blog ..BRAVO BRAVO!!!


http://meoutfit.blogspot.com/2010/04/meoutfit-350-sartorialist-vintage-style.html

 

Blogger Patient x said ... (5:37 AM) : 

so beautiful!
http://randomnotesonrandomstuff.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger laurelbis said ... (6:05 AM) : 

Buena instantánea, excelente idea para la decoración de tu apartamento!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:30 AM) : 

beautifull.

http://bulbizar.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger O Bernas said ... (8:59 AM) : 

gorgeous, your grandmother !
give her a big kiss from Portugal..
:)

 

Blogger Diane said ... (9:09 AM) : 

She was so bold for that era!

 

Blogger Nancy said ... (9:21 AM) : 

beautiful! I love vintage photos!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 AM) : 

firstly this looks like the girl from Alice In Wonderland, small frame and a beautiful porcelain face. I also wonder whether she hand stitched her clothing, or had a large old fashioned mechanical sewing machine. i love sewing, however if i had grasped it at 14 i would be proud, and probably out taking inspiring photos of people wearing my stuff like this lovely picture, its hard to be motivated when in year 12...too many things to do.

 

Blogger Alana said ... (10:56 AM) : 

Love that this awesome shot of a girl who clearly had quite a bit of style was taken in Detroit. Being a teenager from Detroit I love shots like these, taken when the city was in its heyday. I love my city and hope that images like this one can offer a little help in changing the reputation it has gained in recent years.

Aside from all of that, your grandmother is fabulous, I love the expression on her face!

 

Anonymous men's t-shirts said ... (12:52 PM) : 

Attitude!

 

Blogger Caylen said ... (3:42 PM) : 

Georgeous shot. Love old photos!


xx
cayliek.blogpsot.com

 

Blogger jackie said ... (3:55 PM) : 

I think that we also forget that many people in the earlier part of the 20th century, and earlier, of course, made their own clothes. People, mostly women, had more developed "home-ec" skills. Many had very developed skills which are often lost in our disposable culture or becomes expensive college curriculum and not part of the quotidian experience, handed down from parents and grandparents.
I miss looking at vintage/junk stores when you could actually find clothing that was "handmade"(which is such a cheeky term these days since most things were DIY for the majority). We've got short sight too, not just in thinking we've "invented" cool but also in more universal daily creativity, i.e. cooking, sewing, gardening, puttering in the garage/over the workbench. Our mothers though, might consider this a bad fit of nostalgia.

 

Blogger Francie said ... (5:49 PM) : 

What a face! She is so modern looking, so sassy!

 

Blogger fresh oil said ... (8:41 PM) : 

in the past 100 years the sexiest women have been from the 1940s..hair style, dress, and I also have a foto of my mother in a dress...she is drop dead gorgeous and it's taken on Belle Isle too @1949 (she's with my dad, who is super cool w his bowtie!)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:52 PM) : 

love it. i think i'll take a few shots on belle isle this summer too!

 

Blogger taryn said ... (3:37 AM) : 

This photo is fantastic!

~taryn xx

 

Blogger Izzen said ... (6:35 AM) : 

Pretty!

http://izzenxoxo.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Anna Marie said ... (10:54 AM) : 

i love how the angle of this shot really amps up the glamour.
xo

 

Anonymous Joanna said ... (12:33 PM) : 

Beautiful photo, I really love it ( the signature - awesome!). My grandmas and greatgrandmas also made their clothes themselves, but when they were older. It was more because of that there wasn't much in the shops during comunism (I'm from Eastern Europe) but still, it's important to be creative.

 

Blogger Joan said ... (2:55 PM) : 

oh my god! your grandmother is such a doll!

Hello Dasein!

 

Anonymous openscarf said ... (4:33 PM) : 

Rosie is a gorgeous girl and this is a luscious photo. Is this Sart's grandmother or the grandmother of who won the contest...? Sorry I don't log in everyday. I love seeing pictures of older people when they were young, it helps puts things in place for me. Rosie had a good photographer too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:11 PM) : 

she is absolutely beautiful.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:16 PM) : 

Yup that is me,61 years ago, it was taken with a very cheap camera and I cannot remember how the shot was taken, I think I was in the boat and somebody was in the water . It was a great time and yes I am proud of Mike Correy for thinking of his Grandmother, Thanks Mike and Carrie





























c

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 PM) : 

she looks like she has some 'tude!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:19 PM) : 

It is a great photo. She looked great at 14 years old and still looks fantastic today. Way to go MOM !!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:23 AM) : 

Far the best picture,of the bunch , It is of my oppion... That she looks just as beautyfull @ 75yr.s old as@14 yr.s old,,,Just a wouderfull humin being! (I KNOW SHE IS WITH ME 24/7) :-),AS I HAVE A TATOO OF HER ON MY ARM...Best of luck.....you'll Allways be #1 with me ! ! ! I LOVE YOU :-)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:51 AM) : 

Brings home the thought that beautiful young women exist in all times. Makes me think of the women in my family who came before. Great photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 AM) : 

I'm proud to say I was the photographer. We were canoeing that day. We all got soaked that day. She turned and I took the pic. Good times.
Jo Ann

 

Anonymous Denna said ... (8:00 AM) : 

Timeless, simply timeless! Very nice and very sassy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 AM) : 

SHE LOOKS GOOD! My mother was a Rosie too!!

 

Blogger roccodante said ... (12:22 PM) : 

I LOVE THIS PHOTO!

 

Blogger Marvin said ... (12:51 PM) : 

Rosie has the classic look of the late 1940's early 1950's. She is slim and alluring in a subtle and wonderful way. It's just a great picture.

 

Blogger Candy said ... (2:09 PM) : 

La, la, la, LOVE this pic! A real beauty!

 

Blogger Robert said ... (3:26 PM) : 

A classic photo of a truly beautiful person. Rosie, you put the "Belle"
(1. a beautiful girl or woman
2. the most attractive or admired girl or woman at a place, function, etc)
In Belle Isle.

 

Blogger Li-Li said ... (3:38 PM) : 

I love this ! Canoeing on Belle Isle in 1949... amazing. Of course she's a Detroit girl! The attitude is still here, come see for yourself sometime. xoxo

 

Blogger Libby said ... (10:00 AM) : 

!!!!!!! I love belle isle! and she is gorgeous, of course. Detroit is beautiful.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:05 AM) : 

I know Rosie and she is just as gorgeous and spunky today as she was in 1949. You should also post a current picture, her timeless beauty will be appreciated.

 

Anonymous Erin said ... (11:16 PM) : 

I know your grandma well, she is a beautiful woman, it would be cool to have her then and now and with your aunt's they all look great!
Good luck on your contest!

 

Blogger M said ... (10:29 PM) : 

I love this! My grandmother also has some amazing pictures taken on Belle Isle. What's really a shame is how the island has deteriorated in recent years ( with no thanks to Kwame Kilpatrick who chose to put the available funds into preserving and old baseball stadium instead of what was the oldest still running aquarium in the nation ). In any case, Belle Isle is still a beautiful place with a lot of history for not only the inhabitants of Detroit, but people all over the country.

 

Blogger hlj said ... (9:12 AM) : 

Sassy.

 

Blogger Jazzbuff630 said ... (4:12 PM) : 

She looks like she was her own person even then.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting