This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Bleecker St., West village

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

On the Street....Bleecker St., West village

To me, this is so American, strong/healthy, so perfectly Spring-ish in feeling that you don't even need to see the front of the look to understand exactly what it's all about.

Comments on "On the Street....Bleecker St., West village"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:50 PM) : 

So Nice. I bought your book in london, it's realy greate !

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (2:00 PM) : 

I agree. Although, it feels less than Spring-ish at the moment!

 

Anonymous Scarves said ... (2:01 PM) : 

looks like a sturdier chloé sevigny.

http://madeofscarves.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 PM) : 

No helmet?

 

Blogger DayDreamer..! said ... (2:05 PM) : 

Amazing outfit!! So simple, but still so stylish!

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (2:07 PM) : 

Interesting green paint on the floor - I like the bike colour two and how the two match & clash. Is this typically American? The surroundings are but, otherwise, imvho, the person on the bike could really be in Paris (she would probably be on a vélib, though) or in Scandinavia.

http://davidikus.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger De todo y nada said ... (2:10 PM) : 

Nice look! Is it so hot in NY to wear shorts?? Envy!!


Allanita

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:12 PM) : 

I completely agree. This is the essence of American style.

 

Blogger Cely said ... (2:14 PM) : 

lovely picture

leboudoirmonster.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:20 PM) : 

Perfectly worded. This photograph has that energy I admire.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:21 PM) : 

Although it would have been nice to see her from the front....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:21 PM) : 

All American. Yes! Right down to the vintage red bicycle.... all the right clues are there to tell the story without needing to see the face. Bravo!

 

Anonymous the free ladybug said ... (2:21 PM) : 

wow!!!it seems my style!!!very simply but so nice!!

 

Blogger impressionsforbreakfast said ... (2:21 PM) : 

i agree. everything is just perfect about this photo! i love the colours and the light in the picture.
xx Isabel

http://impressionsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:24 PM) : 

seriously that's american to you ?
i'd thought american was a obese dude in a fast food joint.

nice picture regardless.

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (2:24 PM) : 

I agree with you! You don't need to see the front to get it.

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous That's Not My Age said ... (2:24 PM) : 

Another lovely lady on a bike!

 

Blogger Skytsengelmin said ... (2:27 PM) : 

Hi,

This is so sporty and so classical - and so American as you self say it!

I love spring :)

http://jesuisunerevuse.blogspot.com
http://louiseblossfeld.dk

 

Blogger F.E. Castleberry said ... (2:35 PM) : 

Very nice shot Scott. Love the cuffed shorts.

UnabashedlyPrep.com

 

Blogger Babinella said ... (2:37 PM) : 

new york spring!!!

 

Blogger SarahPeslar said ... (2:43 PM) : 

so right!
the back says the whole story.




www.fashionsmind.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:43 PM) : 

Heading to NY soon. Glad I don't have to buy anything before I go! Your NY photos tell me anything goes. I will buy, however, when I get there! Any shops not to be missed???

 

Blogger Yoli said ... (2:44 PM) : 

It is true, you do not need to see the front to know what it is all about. Great capture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:46 PM) : 

yes, love the book.

 

Blogger Emma Hoareau said ... (2:46 PM) : 

AMAZING- SO PERFECT!

http://lolitasaysso.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger kelly said ... (2:48 PM) : 

yes, absolutely american! even the hair, which i hate that length/color, is a perfect example of health/strength.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:57 PM) : 

I agree. That's a sweet vintage bike she's riding. She looks like she just rode it out of a Ralph Lauren ad! Great pic. Makes "green" transportation look stylish! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:57 PM) : 

American? why?

 

Blogger Cristina said ... (2:59 PM) : 

Reminds me of Carolyn Bessete Kennedy (+)...great american style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:05 PM) : 

fantastic picture. great american look as you said, just what i like !

Camille from http://lecharivari.net

 

Anonymous Carly said ... (3:16 PM) : 

LOVE the shots of people and their bikes! Wonderful for the spring.

 

Anonymous CandV said ... (3:32 PM) : 

oh niiiice..its just so rainy all about germany, we want some sun, too!!
www.modeschwestern.tumblr.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:35 PM) : 

I love white shirts for summer, they look so fresh. This one with all the seams in the back and with a short waist is especially nice.

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (3:37 PM) : 

Love the photo...makes me want to get out there and enjoy the nice weather.

Hey...think I'll go bike riding tonight!LOL!

THANKS SCOTT!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:37 PM) : 

I completely agree with your caption. I love how you've portrayed a woman whose beauty is her strength. She looks crisp and fresh, even while surrounded by the concrete of the city. The vintage-y feel of the bike enhances the beauty of this look.

From a photographic standpoint, the light in this photo is an element in itself. The highlight on her hair and the shadows on the concrete serve to further enhance the juxtaposition of her fresh look and the urban environment.

I love this post. It's a great example of how street photography and fashion are intertwined, and how beauty can come from a healthy place.

 

Blogger Jennie Nguyen said ... (3:47 PM) : 

love the photo!

xx http://www.asianeyedgirl.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Theresa said ... (3:55 PM) : 

This is lovely, the lighting is beautiful.

 

Blogger BlumeBloom said ... (4:05 PM) : 

You are right on, but I am really curious about the shoes. They look interesting, beautiful and practical!

 

Blogger Kathleen said ... (4:14 PM) : 

I am wistfully remind of the late Carolyn Kennedy. Don't know why, think its the long blond pony tail and the beautifully graceful legs. I love this picture Scott, just beautiful.

 

Blogger Nedda Ebo said ... (4:15 PM) : 

I couldn't agree more.

Mustart x

 

Anonymous walrus studio said ... (4:21 PM) : 

I like it from the back, too. In my head she's Chloe Sevigny

 

Anonymous TIASglass said ... (4:25 PM) : 

I agree, the shoes look fab. The photo is great, has a good feel of spring in a city in it. Love it

 

Anonymous Silla said ... (4:31 PM) : 

If it only was this warm here... :/

www.the-swedish-way.com

 

Anonymous Roberta R. Sanches said ... (4:50 PM) : 

I think bike makes any clothe fashion. I loved the pic

 

Blogger Susan said ... (5:01 PM) : 

Usually the "American" look to me is a nice pair of shorts and a polo for the summer, but this look is great! A more stylish American look.

http://mushitushi.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (5:04 PM) : 

I love the pose, we have all been there- ready to go! It is a classic outfit, but it is accentuated by the fabric straps in the back, and the sheerness of the top, you can kind of see through it but in a very classy way. And the coup are the shoes, very delicate, almost dressy! Jorge from WPB

 

Blogger SabinePsynopsis said ... (5:04 PM) : 

Great spring spirit. Also love the Caravaggio effect in this picture.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:05 PM) : 

First, I thought this was a man. Second, while the rider may look "stylish", those shoes are too flimsy for biking, the shorts look darned uncomfortable on a saddle, and the lack of a helmet is foolish. I'd rather see serious cyclists with real style, not some fashion plate posing on a bike.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:12 PM) : 

I can't see the details that well but I wasn't sure if this was a woman or man. However, my first impression was European, maybe Dutch or Scandanavian with the strong, tan limbs and the blondish hair. Most Americans are still in their cars. It's a nice vision you have, though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:25 PM) : 

I am pretty sure that this is a man. He lives in my Bklyn building.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:35 PM) : 

Completly agree.
I will like you to keep posting like this Amrican-ish looks.
Thanks Scott.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:19 PM) : 

... in others words, it is so stereotyped.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:34 PM) : 

I would have to say this is the typical "dressed up" dutch girl two summers ago. No helmet (mind you, only toddlers do over here), relaxed unisex look, long blond pony tail... yep, i would say she's dutch.

 

Blogger Sara said ... (6:37 PM) : 

Such a beautiful shot!
xx

 

Anonymous Danilo said ... (7:03 PM) : 

I don't like her hulking, stooped posture. As much as I wish a girl on a bike was classic american, I can only agree with you as far as the no-nonsense clothes and ponytail.

 

Blogger AndreaC said ... (7:12 PM) : 

I love all this bike style! Yet as someone whose main mode of transportation is a bicycle it worries me to see all these beautiful people without helmets. Although helmets are somewhat unattractive, I'm even less attracted to people who'd rather put their lives in danger than ruin an outfit. But maybe that's just me!

 

Blogger Bianca said ... (8:02 PM) : 

I love: this picture, the shorts, the white shirt, the bike...
Is so vintage!

maniasdabi.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous cityamour said ... (8:38 PM) : 

so true your can definitely see what time of the year it is from the back!!

 

Anonymous Doncella said ... (8:42 PM) : 

the shorts & blond hair says ALL-AMERICAN GIRL without a doubt. I like the dimensions of her shoes from the side.

 

Blogger Hal E. Liebling said ... (8:51 PM) : 

You're right, perfectly spring-ish. Love this shot.

HALCOHOLIC.com

 

Blogger Lucy Laucht said ... (8:58 PM) : 

man looking at your blog makes me so excited; I'm moving to New York next month and can't wait for sunshine, dusty streets and just the feeling of being there.
Lucy Laucht

 

Blogger David Kim said ... (9:38 PM) : 

i need to get myself a vintage steel bike.

 

Anonymous Wrenaissance Art said ... (9:53 PM) : 

Perfect WASP/preppy tomboy. Tonight she'll show up at a party wearing the perfect black sleeveless dress and some diamond drops, beat the boys at poker and make all the girls jealous!

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (9:53 PM) : 

cute look but is it healthy not to wear a helmet?

 

Blogger *sunday* said ... (10:28 PM) : 

I agree with Scott! Although I find the "Anonymous" said quite interesting (quote: "seriously that's american to you ?
i'd thought american was a obese dude in a fast food joint"). I dont know if this is "American" but it sure is "New York". When i was visiting NY last year, the friend i was staying with told me that there are no fat people in Manhattan. When I later pointed one out on the street, he said: "Oh, but clearly they are tourists!" .. I was lost for words

 

Blogger Shoe said ... (11:18 PM) : 

The back, and the sunlight in her hair! Beautiful!!

thingsididmyself.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Iuncta Iuvant said ... (11:57 PM) : 

That's not really American spring. That's an American who hasn't gotten too lost from her Scandinavian roots. Cheery, if rare, isn't it?

I love this website. Thanks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:42 AM) : 

oh love this photo! i love her outfit!

 

Blogger ROXY MARJ said ... (1:02 AM) : 

I LOOOOOOVE THIS PHOTO! Would love to see more bike pics if possible! :) COME to Salt Lake City this summer! So many bikers here.... :) it is wonderful!

 

Blogger noelakadjtambour said ... (1:18 AM) : 

fantastic torso and limbs that go with it

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (1:30 AM) : 

to Anon 2;24
You must be French, they don't travel much.

 

Anonymous THE [re]VISIONARY said ... (1:32 AM) : 

Gees!

How hot is it in New York by now?

Back here in Europe the sun's taking forever to come back out!

 

Anonymous Ian said ... (2:10 AM) : 

To all those commenting about helmets: helmets don't work. They don't prevent serious head injuries. Therefore, there is no point in wearing one.

Don't believe me? Do some research.

 

Blogger z.ok said ... (4:04 AM) : 

classic. the straps on her shoes add an elegant femininity. weather looks perfect in nyc right now!

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (4:08 AM) : 

incredible light

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:25 AM) : 

So many bikes in your photos lastly! I think it's great too, and for me a very stylish accessory. I didn't think it was so frequent in Manhattan?!
Great pleasure to follow your work as usual.

 

Blogger Sara Lee Bentley said ... (4:25 AM) : 

Great photo! Totally full of motion even though she's pausing at the moment. Can imagine her ponytail swinging behind her as she takes off!

www.sarabbentley.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Ana said ... (4:39 AM) : 

Yeah, that's why I like so much your pictures from USA: healthy/strong factor! They instillate energy immediately! I like it (maybe because i'm from a very old country in Europe - Portugal, where energy is lacking).
More pictures from USA, please!

 

Anonymous CROATOR.NET said ... (5:02 AM) : 

If this is a man, he is so sexy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:15 AM) : 

I thought it was a man

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 AM) : 

agree on all except for the shoes which are not american in feel.
more like old fashioned spanish or even older Italian

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:55 AM) : 

Anon 2:24 and the Sartorialist:
What's this all about???
I am French, I travel a lot and I don't think all americans cart their obese bodies to fast food chains.
The photo is great as all photos are in my opinion. The woman could be american, she could be european, she could from the moon, most of all she looks healthy, well dressed, unaware of the dangers of city cycling and careless and happy to be out in the sun.
Let's not make it a diplomatic issue.
Love your blog, it brightens my day to see how people take life all around the world. No need to see beyond that.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:58 AM) : 

Anon 2:24 and the Sartorialist:
What's this all about???
I am French, I travel a lot and I don't think all americans cart their obese bodies to fast food chains.
The photo is great as are all your photos in my opinion. The woman could be american, she could be european, she could be from the moon, most of all she looks healthy, well dressed, unaware of the dangers of city cycling and careless and happy to be out in the sun.
Let's not make it a diplomatic issue.
Love your blog, it brightens my day to see how people take life all around the world. No need to see beyond that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:22 AM) : 

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:31 AM) : 

I Spotted an other great cruiser as well, a Johnny Loco bike!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:33 AM) : 

i like the look. but is this a man or a woman?

 

Blogger Christinnnna said ... (8:09 AM) : 

i agree, i love this :)x

 

Blogger lenmeister said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Really? That's debatable, this stroke me as being more European. American bikers aren't always so stylish when biking (unless you're referring to a specific neighborhood maybe?). Compare contrast your U.S. shots and your European ones on the blog, I think most would agree

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:45 AM) : 

I think what Sart is referring to when he says "American" is the strength and sport you see in this woman's body. America has a rich tradition of sports; one that starts at a very young age and is encouraged for both boys and girls, men and women for life. This includes baseball, softball, basketball, kickball, football, hockey, soccer, lacrosse, gymnastics, cheerleading, dance, swimming, volleyball, etc. Sports are social in the United States, and cultural.

I think what Sart is referring to is the sport in this woman's body. She surely played one of the above aforementioned sports- as is seen in the strength of her legs and the strength in her upper body.

Some have posted silly "is she a man?" comments, which reflects naive chauvinism at worst, and cultural differences at best. For all those people in the world (specifically Europe) who say America doesn't have a culture--- take a look at this picture. In this picture you will see a healthy strong beautiful American athlete. And that's just her body language!

As for the style, arguably also American in the soft khaki + white tones.... notice: no black or bright colors.

 

Anonymous josh said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Somehow, this pic tells of her whole lifestyle. Very NYC... which is very American. Beautiful.

 

Anonymous Hollis said ... (11:25 AM) : 

I wouldn't be surprised if this girl were European as New York City is more European than it is American in some ways. Totally a guess but I would say this girl is French.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:35 AM) : 

While regrettably, I am not the woman in the photo, this would be just my luck. I run into The Sart in my neighborhood, he's impressed by my personal style enough to take my photo....and it's of my backside!

Wish Spring would return to Bleecker Street. Instead, rain has replaced the weekend's howling winds...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:46 AM) : 

the colors are fantastic. so very american indeed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

I think the photo represents a certain "type" of Americaness for sure! I mean there is a class, health, and race piece to this picture that can't be ignored.

I wouldn't generalize it as an American representation ...

GREAT SHOT all other thoughts aside!

-huracán

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 PM) : 

Well, ab04bace, it's definitely a man's bike, a man's pose and a man's body. Agree the dress sense is feminine so maybe you're the naive chauvinist making a sexe judgement based on clothing...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:29 PM) : 

@ab04bace: Couldn't agree more! Well said. Cheers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 PM) : 

For whatever reason- and someone feel free to back me up here- I sort of cringed at the terms of "strong/healthy" that were used to describe this woman. They made me feel as though Scott just HAD to distinguish her from the models and waifs he seems to normally shoot, and that this this fact somehow lends to the quality or specialness of the photo and her ensemble. This woman is, what, maybe a size 6? Eyeballing it. Possibly an 8? Since when are "strong and healthy" AMERICAN characteristics? Look at the majority of us! Neither word would qualify to describe the phenomenon occurring here. I'm possibly half this woman's size, or maybe just a bit more than half her size, and when I WAS her size I was certainly never made to believe I was "strong and healthy." Just normal. Average. And I got the sense that Scott, in using these terms, is almost implying that her stylishness is so special in light of the fact that she is, well, normal and average (when taking into account, as I said before, the medium size of women normally featured here). Anyone else see my point??? Perhaps I just hate any reference to body type at all in fashion blogs....

 

Anonymous little blog of style said ... (2:11 PM) : 

Looks like a beautiful day in NY.

 

Blogger the nickel fit said ... (2:34 PM) : 

so new york. so easy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:45 PM) : 

yes, i thought exactly the same thing - strong, healthy, long blonde hair, tanned, no fragility at all! you wouldn't use the word chic, but still stylish!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:38 PM) : 

Gosh, another bike. Who knew the accessory of the season would take this shape!

 

Blogger red Lips and blue Jeans said ... (4:53 PM) : 

love the photo .. its look like summer

aly

http://redlipsandbluejeans.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous style said ... (6:25 PM) : 

Shame you didn't get the front, looks like the perfect spring look at you say.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:29 PM) : 

She reminds me of Carolyn Bessette Kennedy... Shame it isn't her...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:25 PM) : 

So carefree. Strong and yet elegant. Great picture.
Antonogni

 

Anonymous sofiaramsay said ... (12:11 AM) : 

so NY. love riding my bike downtown, it can be so inspirational!

-sofia

www.sofiaramsay.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:27 AM) : 

If by American, you mean WASP, then yes, yes it is. But luckily Americans have far more diversity and that's is far more attractive than high waisted shorts and being a wasp.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:44 AM) : 

Man/woman... American/European... this is definitely a strong, healthy, stylish and sexy specimen!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:30 AM) : 

Perfect!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:14 AM) : 

I don't see why some are getting offended, Sartorialist included.

I agree with Joelle. She could indeed be American or any other nationality. And, Americans aren't the only people who do sports. So, maybe certain Americans should also start traveling (I mean, the French don't travel? Where the hell did you get that from???) and see what's going on in the rest of the world before getting all offended about nothing and posting silly remarks.

True enough though, this is very New York.
Although, I must say, being a New-Yorker myself, spend an hour sitting on a bench in NY and you'll see the entire world walk by.

The girl in the picture has a gorgeous style, let's leave at that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:29 AM) : 

The ghost of Carolyn Bessette Kennedy.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (9:56 AM) : 

Nice pic, very summer-y. Although, I don't approve of men with long hair and pony-tails.

 

Anonymous Allie said ... (10:19 AM) : 

I love your caption. It's true, there's such an essence here you don't even need to see the whole in order to grasp it. Fabulous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:03 PM) : 

I HAVE to play the devil's advocate:) I do understand what you mean about this image being "so American."

However, with so much cultural and racial diversity not only in America, but in New York, I think many people will have their own subjective opinion as to what the true "American" look looks like.

That being said, I always find it foolish to wear those type of shoes while bicycling. Obviously, she may not have to ride that far, but still, she is right in middle of traffic...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

North America? Central America? South America?
So american from which country in the continent?

Love the picture though!! Nice work!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:03 PM) : 

To me he looks like a Swedish death metal singer, minus the stage outfit. Must be that waist long blond hair...;)

 

Blogger the coolbirth kid said ... (9:12 PM) : 

can't help but think,
she looks like tonne goodman from the back.
true?
i wonder.

 

Anonymous Bill Chrismer said ... (10:11 PM) : 

Strong, understated and yet elegant. American Style without european lineage

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:54 AM) : 

Familiar and yet absolutely fresh. Effortless elegance.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:49 PM) : 

WOW! No cigarette

 

Anonymous Jonrah said ... (5:36 PM) : 

Uh, i agree with the post who said it's Caroline B. Kennedy's ghost riding through NYC. And my whole take on Scott saying its an "American" style is that its reflective of the look American designers (Kors, DK, Ralph Lauren) have made synonomous with the country in regards to sportswear. Afterall thats what the American designers are known for.

 

Blogger Caroline Mason said ... (6:37 PM) : 

i want to live on bleecker street!
its my favorite street in the world. its beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:10 PM) : 

Can anyone identify the brand of shoes?!

 

Blogger Susanne said ... (6:26 PM) : 

This is me ! 25 years ago anyways, thinking (hoping) that strong, healthy, and fresh was the way to go! It is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 PM) : 

i actually know her very well. SHE is russian but moved to the states in her teens - so enough to understand and embody american style.

i think her style is definitely American in that its not fussy or overdone and is stylish and classic.

she is proof that you don't have to be American to capture its spirit.

 

Anonymous FashionFoodFatale said ... (7:36 AM) : 

She is just like Carolyn Bessette Kennedy. This image epitomises true American beauty. Love.

 

Anonymous anna said ... (10:10 PM) : 

i thought she is a man untill i saw her shoes. so muscular, strong!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting