This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Thea, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

On the Street....Thea, New York

Isn't it so refreshing to see a sixteen year-old dressed like this?

I didn't immediately know if I wanted to take this shot. While I was deciding I thought about my own daughters and realized it would be nice for them to see a young lady ,that is obviously very cool, dressed like this instead of the constant media parade of Britneys and Lindsays. This is the anti-"Jersey Shore" (I mean the show not the actual place)

Comments on "On the Street....Thea, New York"

 

Blogger Stacy said ... (9:01 AM) : 

Yes, classy! Oh to be 16 again...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 AM) : 

Great to see someone young swimming against the tide of conformity. Margaret Howell with painted toe nails. GB

 

Anonymous Cecylia said ... (9:03 AM) : 

So clean and fresh!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:04 AM) : 

love it, totally agree with you, so refreshing, reminds me of a world past which I now realize I miss.

 

Blogger Tanya said ... (9:06 AM) : 

She looks so adorable! The look is so in my style - so, Scott, tnx a lot for the shot!

 

Blogger Ashes said ... (9:06 AM) : 

Definatly, she looks lovely. Her colour choices are amazing and that shirt with the cute buttons is simply charming.

www.ashleigh-chapman.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Lady M said ... (9:06 AM) : 

Chic styling.
And I can feel fresh summer.

 

Anonymous James Taylor said ... (9:07 AM) : 

She's sixteen? She looks about eleven!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 AM) : 

so beautiful! thanks for posting this its quite refreshing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 AM) : 

So cute ^^ Young and with style

 

Blogger mustownmore said ... (9:09 AM) : 

She looks lovely - young, fresh. It's an outfit that is appropriate for her age, but could equally be worn on a fashionable 40 something too.

 

Anonymous Rachel said ... (9:11 AM) : 

Adorable! It is so refreshing to see a well-dressed young lady. Very classy and mature. Also, she dresses better than me...I need to step my game up to her level!


lonerandrebel.wordpress.com

 

Blogger Claud said ... (9:13 AM) : 

Love it! And, OMG, she's 16?! Wow.

 

Anonymous Lee Oliveira said ... (9:13 AM) : 

WOW... loving her style and her simplicity
LOx

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:13 AM) : 

Wow - wish I'd looked like this. I cringe when I see photos from when I was 16!

www.blahblahbecky.co.uk

 

Blogger Jungsu Kim said ... (9:14 AM) : 

so cute!

 

Blogger Jungsu Kim said ... (9:15 AM) : 

wow she's so cute!

 

Blogger Ray said ... (9:23 AM) : 

So cute:))

 

Blogger P said ... (9:24 AM) : 

she's dressed perfectly and has such a calm air about her!

http://www.pinkpeonieswithlove.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (9:24 AM) : 

I love it. Why didn't you want to take the shot initially? SHe looks fantastic.

 

Blogger mixedtapediaries said ... (9:25 AM) : 

Sparse.

 

Blogger Román Iglesias said ... (9:26 AM) : 

I'm envious to be like her in New York this time ...

http://coolneeded.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Nityalila said ... (9:26 AM) : 

classic!

 

Blogger Notes From ABroad said ... (9:29 AM) : 

Adorable.. look at those long legs ! I totally agree with your choice and your words.

 

Blogger MouseClark said ... (9:30 AM) : 

Great outfit.
A 16 yr old who knows herself and is willing to step away from the crowd. That is brave. I salute her!
So different to almost every 16 yr old in the UK right now who is wearing leggings and floral bodies (yeuch)

 

Blogger Susan said ... (9:30 AM) : 

wow, it is great that you took this photo- and I totally agree with you on the comment!
keep up the great work.

 

Blogger Luna : said ... (9:30 AM) : 

if only to be sixteen again with this girls fashion sense!! how life might have been different ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 AM) : 

THANK YOU. AGREE COMPLETELY.

 

Anonymous Katie said ... (9:34 AM) : 

she looks very nice! but how did you get from milano to new york in 1 day and still be able to take these shots? or do you take many photos and post them all later? thanks! :-)

 

Blogger The Voguette said ... (9:36 AM) : 

I wish I was that well-dressed when I was 16...

 

Anonymous Annika said ... (9:36 AM) : 

I'm sixteen and it really is refreshing to see girls dress like this at my age. I try to look classy and put together so thank you for the extra inspiration!

 

Anonymous Doug said ... (9:37 AM) : 

Classy and refreshing. Much better than the omnipresent neo-trashy look.

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (9:40 AM) : 

She looks fantastic. I'd love to see you photograph her in 5 years - she already possesses a quiet confidence of someone twice her age.

Hand drawn:
myclosetinsketches.com

 

Blogger Gary said ... (9:41 AM) : 

Ah, this is impressive ! So young and already a person of good taste ! Who are her parents ?

 

Blogger Patrones bebé said ... (9:41 AM) : 

Lovely style!! so cute!!
You are invited to visit my blog (from spain)
Ainara white!!!

 

Anonymous Nansosi said ... (9:42 AM) : 

Wow, Scott! I would have gone right past her without taking notice of how remarkable it is for a 16 year old to be dressed this way. Yes, it's very refreshing. And the way she holds herself — a young lady with a very strong sense of self. Absolutely lovely.

 

Anonymous needle+thread said ... (9:46 AM) : 

isn't she fresh? good style choices at a young age... rare, but she looks lovely and somehow age appropriate. as always, you capture a range. love that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 AM) : 

Simple, elegant, classic, and totally adorable. You've got great taste Thea! Love it!

 

Blogger MartaPalczewska said ... (9:49 AM) : 

Very simple ;) Oh, i like it! ;)

http://waronclothes.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Liz S said ... (9:51 AM) : 

Very cute and simply stylish. Love that refined tomboy look she has going on. The scrunched toes are the best part for me, hinting at her youth and the fact she still has to grow into her full security and confidence.
And it is hard to believe she is 16--definitely looks younger--although she may not want to hear this!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 AM) : 

Yes.

 

Blogger InStudio Blog said ... (9:53 AM) : 

You should post this picture all over the U.S. as a public service announcement.

 

Anonymous Marie b said ... (9:55 AM) : 

You did well! I think the outfit (the shirt in fact) is a bit to sober for teenager.

A bit of fun don't hurt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:56 AM) : 

The way I dressed when I was growing up. Lovely and nice to see her carrying it off so well.

 

Blogger Sarah J said ... (9:58 AM) : 

She's stunning. I love the shirt, its just so elegant!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 AM) : 

Looking at Thea takes me back to 1968, when Pappagallo and Villager, and that haircut, were giving way to tank tops and hip hugger jeans. Thea, you look adorable. Thank you Scott, once again.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Very sweet. Agree completely.

 

Blogger Б.Баясгалан said ... (10:05 AM) : 

to be sixteen again.

 

Blogger DOLLED-UP said ... (10:06 AM) : 

This gives me hope. Seriously!
SOOOOOOO classy young lady!

-ABBY-

http://www.abegailbarriosdesigns.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:08 AM) : 

Amen to that. Thank you, Scott. Take note, Scott's daughters!

 

Blogger franca maisha said ... (10:08 AM) : 

true. a very stylish kid indeed!!

 

Blogger Christina said ... (10:09 AM) : 

What's interesting is that most teens are trying to look older and by dressing like Britney they are actually making themselves look younger. They look no different than any other teen their age. This look sets her apart and makes her look unique and mature for her age. I love it.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:09 AM) : 

She's actually embracing her age! Refreshing to see a true beauty who's just herself!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

I love this outfit! I am wondering if anyone knows where the shirt came from? I would love to have it!

 

Anonymous Best of Beehive said ... (10:13 AM) : 

So much class to be only 16. I love the sandals. They make the outfit for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 AM) : 

and good to see a teen not fall for the crimes against fashion being pandered by American Apparel et al.

 

Anonymous Lisa Marie diary said ... (10:16 AM) : 

So fresh

Lisa marie Diary
http://fr.lisamariediary.com/

 

Anonymous hukurou said ... (10:23 AM) : 

YES YES exactly what is happening over here (UK) too. Come on young generation, stop watching that box and reading the wrong things.

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (10:27 AM) : 

She looks so classic and yes, refreshing in that oufit. Great shot.

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger John B Pritchett said ... (10:27 AM) : 

There is still a glimmer of hope for teenagers! Wonderful and refreshing. I agree the whole"Jersey Shore" and droopy basketball shorts with butt showing is atrocious. She's to be applauded.

 

Blogger nicolecprevost said ... (10:31 AM) : 

I've got the 9-year-old equivalent of this. May seem not-the-same to some, but if you saw that most of her 4th grade classmates dress the same as most of the 16-year-olds out there... You'd better believer I'm encouraging her choices of dresses on a daily basis!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

A very mature young lady...and I mean that in the best way possible.

 

Blogger Karoline Kalvø said ... (10:33 AM) : 

I love the blog. It's so inspiring. Love it. Always.

Check out my blog:
http://karoline-secondhandnews.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Caddy said ... (10:47 AM) : 

She looks clean, fresh and casual. A great outfit for summer in the city.

 

Blogger Chas said ... (10:48 AM) : 

Lovely outfit, so classy!

http://fromdenimtodessert.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 AM) : 

While I agree that the outfit is pleasant, this girl looks much younger than 16. As I was scrolling down her picture on my computer I saw her face before I saw her outfit and I thought she was about 12. If she had a more mature face I wonder if she would pick the outfit.
k8b8

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 AM) : 

Being from Jersey this is actually anti-Jersey shore the place too for the most part! sadly.

www.fpnson.tumblr.com/

 

Blogger the chirpy bird said ... (10:54 AM) : 

Oh I just love!!! That's certainly not what I think of when I see a 16 year old girl, especially from NYC... J'adore!

xo tash

http://www.thechirpyladybird.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 AM) : 

I love that blue shirt!!! You can see that kind of looks everywhere in Korea though.....

 

Anonymous CK Dexter Haven said ... (10:58 AM) : 

Very 'Betsy Draper.' The style, not the character.

Stay elegant, young lady. Don't fall into the pack.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 AM) : 

European style in USA :D nice :D

 

Blogger sk said ... (11:03 AM) : 

Just gorgeous!! So clean and fresh. I love it! Good for her for breaking out of the mold.

I'm so glad you chose to photograph this young woman. It's very refreshing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

i was kinda disappointed that you thought that it was so refreshing, because i am 15 and me and a lot of my friends dress very similar to that beautiful girl's style. you should come to Germany soon, if you want to see young people ;)

But i simply love the girl's outfit!

 

Blogger sarah said ... (11:05 AM) : 

lovely!

 

Blogger katpski said ... (11:08 AM) : 

i have faith in the young once more!

 

Anonymous sexyetsy said ... (11:09 AM) : 

love the 'preppy' look, & especially the boyish haircut!

 

Blogger SallyO said ... (11:10 AM) : 

She is indeed the exception, and she is exceptional!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 AM) : 

This young lady looks like she is going to, in the words of my late grandmother, "amount to something in this world." Congratulations on poise, reserve, and taste, young Miss.

 

Anonymous jenny said ... (11:15 AM) : 

She is way ahead of her game, but still looks age appropriate. I like it when girls don't need to accessorize.

 

Anonymous Curro said ... (11:22 AM) : 

Its so easy to be dressed nicely!!!

 

Anonymous marianne said ... (11:24 AM) : 

She's darling and it's so refreshing to see a young teen looking so chic and tastefully dressed--I think she's a rarity from this generation! MM

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 AM) : 

So many people have commented that they have faith in the young but is it because she's dressed as if she is older? There is nothing wrong with a sixteen year-old dressing like everyone else. Sooner or later they will embrace their own style but it's part of growing up and finding yourself. You go through the bad to get to the good. Too many parents and kids are focused too much on growing up too quickly. It would be a shame if she looked back on this period and wish that she had dressed a little crazier.

 

Anonymous Lia said ... (11:40 AM) : 

Dear Miss Thea,
I showed my two girls (ages 5 and 8) your picture and we talked about what a classy, stylish young lady you are. They would like to look like you. Thank you for the breath of fresh air.
Lia

 

Blogger RouseCat said ... (11:42 AM) : 

She looks fresh, sweet, and stylish. She makes me feel hopeful :o)

 

Blogger Kelsique said ... (11:45 AM) : 

Definitely refreshing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

Hallelujah, Sart! Thank you for encouraging appropriate dress among teenage girls. This young lady is SO much cooler and stylish than any Lindsay or Britney will ever be!

 

Anonymous Min said ... (11:50 AM) : 

I love picturing her getting up in the morning and ironing the shirt she wants to wear that day. While eating a toaster strudel!

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (11:52 AM) : 

Taste has no age...And she has youth and good taste.Oh my God...Thanks!

 

Blogger choppie said ... (11:52 AM) : 

I agree with you 100%! Adorable!
By the way, I am addicted to this blog. Have a nice day, Scot.

 

Blogger megan said ... (11:58 AM) : 

Your photography has always made me happy. This is no exception.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:58 AM) : 

She looks confident, and classic.
I thought this shot was taken in France. It is not an american look.

 

Blogger Ripped Jeans said ... (11:59 AM) : 

i love it! it makes me happy to see someone in their teens not dressing like a hoochi mama!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

wow what a pic...

 

Blogger eli said ... (12:01 PM) : 

Wonderful pic...She's so clean and chic, and her pose, little smile and toes remind me of her young age!

eli
www.eli-a-porter.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Erin said ... (12:01 PM) : 

She looks lovely. I find it ironic that there is an American Apparel advertisement featuring a young woman wearing only a thong under a sheer skirt next to this classy post.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

ooh what a pic...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:04 PM) : 

She looks darling and so put together.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:06 PM) : 

This is one very stylish girl... I wish more would dress as such...

Refreshing picture


http://valentineavoh.blogspot.com/
-diary of a fashion stylist-

 

Blogger CTstyle said ... (12:14 PM) : 

So modest, lovely and age appropriate.

 

Blogger Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said ... (12:18 PM) : 

I'm glad you did take this picture in the end - very refreshing to see a 16 year old dressed like that indeed!

 

Blogger glamour. monster. said ... (12:18 PM) : 

very refreshing! im 16 myself, and i rarely see outfits on the streets like this. i absolutely love your blog, so inspiring!

ps. check out www.twogirlsonecloset.blogspot.com, we're new and open to linking :)

 

Blogger Sofie Marie said ... (12:21 PM) : 

I find it kind of dissapointing that people don't have much faith in teens. There are many of us that dress in our own way,and do not just follow crowds-This girl is an example of many of us(though I'll admit it's a minority group)
Please have some faith in us!
Sofie
onetoomanywishes.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous jimjims said ... (12:23 PM) : 

fresh...!

great to see our youth changing it up...

http://jimjims.net

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:23 PM) : 

She is a pure example of class and she will be for the rest of her life!

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (12:25 PM) : 

You're so right Scott...good choice! She looks sweet, innocent & refreshing!

http://lisapetrarca.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 PM) : 

She is a pure example of class and will be for the rest of her life!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 PM) : 

Meh, this outfit is so American Apparel. And being young is a time for experimenting with style and having fun!

 

Anonymous Lizzy said ... (12:37 PM) : 

So glad you posted this. She's great!

www.citizette.com

 

Blogger indigo warrior said ... (12:39 PM) : 

I raised teenaged boys. It was tough. Our issues were the sag and bag. The girls though? In eighth grade they looked like working girls, and you know what I mean. It's must be tough as a parent to fight the good fight with regard to girls and the skank culture.

Good for Thea. (c: She must have parents who've taught her to value herself.

 

Blogger Mai said ... (12:41 PM) : 

lovely! so good to see the next generation of stylish folk might have other options than the fast fashion of h&m and f21.

 

Anonymous marimbo said ... (12:42 PM) : 

Seeing this I realise I look forward to a time when 'fashionable' will not rhime with 'bitchy' anymore.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:42 PM) : 

Yay and good for you for taking this photo! You hit it right on the head, I want my daughter to see that there are cool, stylish, classy girls out there to be inspired by too. Please do more of this! I think it's absolutely refreshing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 PM) : 

I love her! The fact she has her feet together, and her hands in her pockets make her look younger. She's also got no make-up on...

I wish she was my friend, she's got a great face.

K, 26, England.

 

Anonymous Sophie said ... (12:50 PM) : 

Oh she's beautiful! I'm glad you took this shot. It's never too early to start being classy.

 

Blogger Jo said ... (12:53 PM) : 

I asked my 7 yr old daughter what she thought of this photo - she said, 'she looks like a college girl' :)

 

Anonymous Dana said ... (1:00 PM) : 

She is absolutely lovely. She has confidence to cover up and look great. She will be a fine woman as well.

 

Blogger La Clochard said ... (1:05 PM) : 

You could wear it at any age! And it would look as great both if you are sixteen or sixty

kisses :)

 

Anonymous aaryn b. said ... (1:10 PM) : 

God, this is both hopeful and a relief for the parent of a 5-year-old girl. This young woman is darling and has an inner confidence that doesn't require her to seek it through revealing clothes. So glad you took this pic.

 

Blogger Semone said ... (1:18 PM) : 

I have a daughter of my own, so yes I know what you mean. I love this photo:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 PM) : 

when the page opened and I could only see the upper half of the photo I firt thought it's an 11 year old boy!

...but I agree the look is nice and clean.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:23 PM) : 

absolutely lovely!

 

Blogger Ro said ... (1:24 PM) : 

smart girl, classy and lovely!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:28 PM) : 

lovely!!!
:)

 

Blogger nickythekid said ... (1:29 PM) : 

dig it

http://tobethegreat.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous hanna brooks olsen said ... (1:38 PM) : 

Perfect. I love it.

 

Blogger Maria said ... (1:38 PM) : 

though I secretly love Jersey Shore....

She seems like such a nice & well-dressed girl!

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (1:45 PM) : 

Why didn't you want to take the shot? The simplicity of the look? Thanks for posting it though -- perhaps there will be a butterfly effect, sending subtle winds of modesty, restraint, and class to that age group!

I do like how the black sandals and indigo toenails add fun edge to the ensemble. Shows she's not prim, just choosing a crisp, classic look.

 

Anonymous IS THIS IT? models review said ... (1:46 PM) : 

This is simply a breath of pure fresh air! Lovely.... and enchanting.

http://www.isthisitmodelsreview.com/

 

Blogger 82Brute said ... (1:48 PM) : 

I'm really glad you took this shot. She's lovely, self possessed and confident. This young lady is going places.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:59 PM) : 

"Anonymous said...
European style in USA :D nice :D

11:02 AM"

European? Not at all.

 

Blogger Linda said ... (2:01 PM) : 

Her style is so clean. I love it!

 

Blogger Alexandra said ... (2:02 PM) : 

Upon first glance of the picture, I didn't even register that she was younger. I just through "what a cool, classic, chic outfit". That a 16 year old is wearing it and with such a confident attitude is awesome. Definitely would agree that this is a refreshing thing to see on someone so young.

http://tovogueorbust.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger The Styleograph said ... (2:14 PM) : 

lovely style! better than Britney! :D

Shots of lovely people on the street

 

Anonymous Laurent said ... (2:21 PM) : 

125 comments already! NY teenagers: sophisticated and confident. Commentor above remembered 60s and Papagallo! The first thing I thought was in the 60s she'd be wearing Bernardo sandals.(classic P.Beach, S'hampton look) Beautiful, confident girl who will grow to be stunning. How about the women in background in black? Get a Pic? Please? NY is wonderful.

 

Blogger Richie Designs said ... (2:25 PM) : 

thank gawd for this

{the 16 yr old trash is so unappealing}

 

Anonymous Niamh said ... (2:25 PM) : 

This is great! This is what we need to see more of. She looks so cute and chic, and most importantly she looks her age. She also looks so self-assured for a sixteen year-old too.

 

Anonymous Voon said ... (2:27 PM) : 

I could totally see her strolling on a beach boardwalk too...such an effortless and crisp summer look

well done young lady!

 

Anonymous Laurent said ... (2:30 PM) : 

My wife called me at work after seeing this, said it should be a Ralph/Tommy H/Gap 50 foot board in times square. Cool everyone down and make them smile. Does she have an agent?

 

Blogger L. said ... (2:32 PM) : 

Oh she's classy! Wish I was like that when I was 16...

 

Anonymous linda riva said ... (2:59 PM) : 

Ah, bellissima.

 

Blogger paristempslibre said ... (3:07 PM) : 

wow wished my pupils dressed like this and i could photograph them!!!
xo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 PM) : 

eww

 

Anonymous Ela Merve said ... (3:16 PM) : 

Thank you for taking inspirational shots for EveRyone! .. including your youngest group of fans and those adults who are already in or those who will step into parenthood!
I love this anti-jersey shore theme you have officially begun with this photograph.
~Greetings from Istanbul, Turkey

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:17 PM) : 

Wow, 16! Very refreshing!!

 

Anonymous Katherine said ... (3:19 PM) : 

I couldn't agree more!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:22 PM) : 

I have struggled all my life with what to wear. I remember my teens being the worst time. Your site is pure inspiration to dare... and this picture in particular brings so much peace to my mind. I was indeed lost in the multitude. Her freedom is very inspiring and comes right on time!

 

Blogger cpt said ... (3:32 PM) : 

Wonderful! Couldn't agree with you more!

 

Anonymous Karin said ... (3:36 PM) : 

The commenter who said "Meh, this looks like an American Apparel ad" does not know what they're talking about. American Apparel would never be this tasteful. I love this girl! Beautiful and with a wonderful youthful elegance.

 

Blogger Christina said ... (3:37 PM) : 

Bravo Thea! She's ahead of the curve.

fridayswithcilantro.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Angel said ... (3:38 PM) : 

I love white clothing in the summer... nothing could look more clean and easy

 

Anonymous Karin said ... (3:38 PM) : 

Also, to the person who wrote "And being young is a time for experimenting with style and having fun!"

Why do you assume she's not having fun? And she IS experimenting with style if she is dressing nothing like most American girls her age. It's daring to be yourself.

 

Blogger ღ The angel of leopards ღ said ... (3:44 PM) : 

SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



http://theangelofleopards.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Fashionlass said ... (4:09 PM) : 

This totally reminds me of myself at around 15 (two years ago, haha), minus the glasses and other such awkward early teen things...
And I agree. I'm really tired of seeing all of the tight, revealing, monogrammed clothing girls this age are wearing now.
Classic and fresh is beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:10 PM) : 

Adorable. Nothing like being young.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:12 PM) : 

love her, she look a little bit younger but shes adorable
http://pineplanet.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous dbwick said ... (4:23 PM) : 

she looks lovely. a great style role model for teens.

is this a good time to pick a bone with you about accepting ads from american apparel? i really dislike the 70s porn-star aesthetic they push at teens...

 

Blogger kukla said ... (4:24 PM) : 

If only more adult ladies aspired to be Thea. THANK YOU SARTORIALIST!!! Thank you THEA!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:29 PM) : 

To an other Anonymous, this shirt comes from the A.P.C. s/s 2010 collection, but in my opinion it's sold out in a lot of shops !

 

Blogger Q said ... (4:35 PM) : 

This girl is really classic and crisp! but i was kinda dissapointed to see how people keep saying "how refreshing to see a teen with style!" there are alot of us with style out there! I find it very stereotypical to say that the magority of teens dress like britney spears, cause that's really not true! If you want to see what i mean, visit my blog. Im a teen, and im pretty sure i don't dress like britney.

 

Anonymous Veronica said ... (4:51 PM) : 

This is so cute and innocent! it's a bout time a child acts her age!

 

Anonymous Well Done said ... (4:52 PM) : 

I'm in total agreement. You only get to look young and fresh once. In addition, the slutty, milf look is a nightmare. There is nothing sexier than elegance.

 

Blogger Fashion Cappuccino said ... (4:56 PM) : 

Thank you so much for this! I'm horrified at how young teenage girls dress these days and I hope there are more girls like her!! xxoxoxoxoo

 

Anonymous Jonathan Garcon said ... (5:21 PM) : 

I actually love this photo. It's so pure. And you are very right.

 

Blogger E. said ... (5:23 PM) : 

Its is so refreshing!!! Plain and simple. Two thumbs up!

 

Blogger E. said ... (5:23 PM) : 

Its is so refreshing!!! Plain and simple. Two thumbs up!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:29 PM) : 

She is so cute! BTW, her shirt is an APC shirt of this S/S10 collection, reference "chemise 70's" or something... I have the same ;)

 

Anonymous kelli said ... (5:32 PM) : 

I'm so glad you took this shot- beautiful on so many levels!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:34 PM) : 

I wonder if her mum told her to put those clothes on because she´s on her way to see someone who wouldn´t approve of a normal 16 year olds style??!! :))) but she looks gorgeous!

 

Blogger Maria said ... (6:04 PM) : 

adorable and so chic! LOVE IT.

 

Blogger Jennie Freeburg said ... (6:12 PM) : 

Yes, refreshing! Thank you!

And I agree with MOI on the public service announcement : )

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:08 PM) : 

yes, brava chica! after going to uni in egypt with 16 year-olds wearing gucci bling, this is so nice to see... plus in america teenagers dress even worse... she has her parisienne chic going on and isn't apologizing for it - brava 16!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:19 PM) : 

THIS IS MY SISTER. ;)

 

Blogger julia wheeler said ... (7:27 PM) : 

SO refreshing... a 16 year old with style to envy. i love! there's hope for my future children!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:30 PM) : 

Wow, I'm really glad you chose to take this photo!

 

Anonymous Wedding Cakes Pictures said ... (7:41 PM) : 

simple and refreshing!

 

Blogger Cristina said ... (8:13 PM) : 

The blue toe nails make all the difference. Super cute. and totally updated.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:24 PM) : 

What a fabulous young woman. She is DEFINITELY going to amount to something. Not only is her outfit balanced and stylish, she is bursting with poise. Reminds me just a little bit of Ellen Page. Hope my 3 year old looks like this when she grows up. Congrats to Thea and her parents!

 

Anonymous mimi said ... (8:59 PM) : 

i love this look. elegant but youthful!

i dont understand the references to "omg at least she's not dressing like britney or lindsay" - such comments are kind of irrelevant given the fact thatboth britney and lindsay are adults. britney is not exactly at the forefront of teen pop culture like she was ten years ago, and no one cares what lindsay is wearing but moreso how she handles al her arrests! lets get some more relevant pop culture references (i appreciate that you're horrified by jersey shore aesthetic scott!)

if anything, im glad she's not dressing like TAYLOR MOMSEN, who is also her age but dresses like a hooker. for real.

 

Blogger Friend in Fashion said ... (9:02 PM) : 

agree - a very clasic look!

- Friend in Fashion
www.friendinfashion.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:10 PM) : 

It sure is a anti Jersey Shore ( the show). Those people have a hella tacky style. They define tacky. This girls is so cute.

 

Anonymous Helen said ... (9:21 PM) : 

16 is such a fleeting moment, how lovely to celebrate it rather than run full tilt into adulthood only to wish later in life, that you had treasured and valued that time more. Once gone, never to be recaptured. She looks very beautiful and I am happy to see a teenager who appears happy to be just that.

 

Anonymous mabelmabel said ... (9:49 PM) : 

Love her. So young to convey such confidence, an air of carrying herself as if she knows that identity comes from the inside, not the outside....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 PM) : 

Lovely and yes so refreshing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 PM) : 

I think she looks lovely, but I have issues with how some of you think about teenage style and style in general.

I am 17. I have funky style and experiment, but I am modest. My friends tell me that I am the most modestly dressed person they know. In addition, I am a wee bit more developed than the girl pictured here.

Therefore, if I wore her outfit no one would be calling me a breath of fresh air because it would be much more difficult for me to get this outfit to fit correctly on me, because I don't have a stick-straight figure; with that said, I know some adults have stick-straight figures naturally, and some who do not.

I just wish there were more curvy people out there classing things up a 'smidge because it's definitely more difficult to find clothes that fit right and aren't slutty if you are curvy! It's not always our fault if we look not as classy! (but then again, the Taylor Momsen look is an obvious faux-pas)

*And for the record, when I say curvy I only mean curvy, not Va-Va Voom. I am a size 2-4, I am 5'2" and I have boobs. Not small boobs, not huge boobs. But they are there, and they certainly affect what I choose to wear.

 

Blogger willi float said ... (10:51 PM) : 

and so beautifully anti-hannah montana. shes super perfect




theballonrouge

 

Blogger Taylor said ... (10:54 PM) : 

She is so crisp.

 

Blogger elizabeth said ... (11:24 PM) : 

how beautiful and refreshing. she looks lady-like, sophisticated, but still her age! absolutely darling.

thecoffeeexperiment.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous ren said ... (11:37 PM) : 

definitely refreshing! can't agree with you more sart!

thanks for the great work!

 

Anonymous ren said ... (11:40 PM) : 

why do teenagers like to dress like britney anyway? don't they know she's always on top of the worst dressed list :)

 

Blogger Holly said ... (1:05 AM) : 

i also dress like this in wekend.. but i am 25.... love the sweet 16!

 

Blogger Holly said ... (1:07 AM) : 

Ooo... did she painted her toes in dark blue/ black? Love this too!

 

Blogger kukla said ... (1:22 AM) : 

I THOUGHT GIRLS LIKE THIS HAVE DIED OUT. WHERE DID YOU FIND ONE? SAVE HER, BREED HER!!!

 

Blogger Sofi said ... (1:31 AM) : 

I'm fifteen, and I love that this shot of a young girl is on the sartorialist. I think we can have a sartorial expression no matter what our age. Love this!

And her skirt (shorts?) is lovely.

Thanks!

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (2:06 AM) : 

she looks far more confident than the kids who desperately want to look 'cool'.

 

Anonymous Jamie Saunders said ... (2:55 AM) : 

I love everything! Indeed when can you see teenagers wearing a beauty like this? Sooo classy!

Sugarchilli
Swimwear Australia

 

Blogger B. said ... (4:44 AM) : 

And seriously i don't understand why "jersey shore" is so successuful...i mean that's trush.

Aout the picture,very cool.i wish when i was 16 i had that taste.seriously

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:07 AM) : 

You can't buy class.. This picture shows that some people are just born with it, and some will never get it right as hard as they might try. Love it!

 

Blogger Jane See said ... (6:06 AM) : 

I'd love to see more sixteen year-olds dressing more like this. She looks so clean and fresh, and I love her skirt. :)

www.themadjungle.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:31 AM) : 

I hope to see my own daughter like that someday (she´s one now!) instead of following the Lindsay-of-then trend. This is so much more original precisely because you don´t see many girls dress like than anymore. Superb!

 

Anonymous Purses Pastries Etc... said ... (6:45 AM) : 

Thea is completely refreshing and totally stylish -- I love her style! Well done, girl!! :)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting