This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Piazza Oberdan, Milan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

On the Street.....Piazza Oberdan, Milan

This is one of my favorite shots in a while.

I love shooting older people not because I think they are more stylish than any other age, but rather because they have different design references than someone 20 or even 50 years old.


For instance, I have never seen a scarf rolled under the chin like this Milanese woman has done. So chic and so subtle; I love the waves of fabric cascading over her shoulder. Maybe in her younger days all of her girlfriends wore their scarves this way but I've never seen it.

This is pure inspiration for me, and inspiration at its most powerful because it doesn't cost money for anyone to recreate that element.

Comments on "On the Street.....Piazza Oberdan, Milan"

 

Blogger My Heart Blogged said ... (3:38 PM) : 

The waves on it are so beautiful. She looks so chic, and not overdone.
My Heart Blogged

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:38 PM) : 

Lovely shot. Amazing moment captured.

 

Blogger Wida said ... (3:40 PM) : 

She's very lovely!

Wida
Missing Amsie Blog

 

Anonymous tallulah said ... (3:41 PM) : 

Such a gentle, serene face who has seen life and experienced so much. What an inspiration for older years.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 PM) : 

It's a common look in New York and California with the older crowd as well. Wait for summer - I love this look, and I'm in my 20's!

 

Anonymous That's Not My Age said ... (3:45 PM) : 

Its pure inspiration for me too - absolutely lovely - thank you.

 

Blogger Sarah Weal said ... (3:47 PM) : 

I just think it is wonderful that you spotted this. You have a keen eye. I look forward to seeing all the beautiful young things sporting the rolled foulard look this spring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:50 PM) : 

I wish I led a life where discussing the qualities of a scarf was at the top of my list of duties.

 

Blogger Amy B. said ... (3:53 PM) : 

Beautiful.
Thank you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:54 PM) : 

She is just an "amore"!!! The world is not filled with young beautiful people, it is also filled with old beautiful people... What a great example!!!!

 

Blogger Blog Informativo said ... (3:55 PM) : 

I love this blog!

 

Anonymous Denise Laborde said ... (4:00 PM) : 

I love this too. Love imagining that this is how she wore a scarf as a young woman. I'm going to pin this photo - I think this look would work great for the windy spring days ahead in Toulouse.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:08 PM) : 

It almost has an Amish look to it.

 

Anonymous berkshire mems said ... (4:08 PM) : 

I'm 61 and I love your blog, and love that you don't ignore older women and men. Thanks.

 

Blogger caribbelle said ... (4:09 PM) : 

I like this shot. Many women still do this and I've seen more of them doing it with the terrible weather we've been having. It's a nice alternative to wearing a hat. It's very chic in a Jackie O sense.

 

Blogger The Photodiarist said ... (4:12 PM) : 

So true. As someone who wears a scarf over her head often, I will be using this new trick to tie them. Very inspirational indeed.

 

Anonymous Elisabeth - Everything's Better with Frosting said ... (4:13 PM) : 

Thanks so much for sharing this one! I feel like society is so quick to make anyone over a certain age "irrelevant" to a degree. It's heartbreaking to me because, as you say, they are able to afford us a peek into times and experiences that can never be relived.

Love it.

 

Blogger ladykatza said ... (4:14 PM) : 

Thank you for this lovely photo!

 

Anonymous ania said ... (4:17 PM) : 

if you've never seen this before, come to poland. especially to the small village. almost every old lady is wearing such scarfs this way. i think it's quite popular in east europe in general.

 

Blogger comme fraiche said ... (4:24 PM) : 

She has probably worn the scarf that way all her life, perhaps something her mom taught her

 

Blogger Monroe Steele said ... (4:24 PM) : 

I love how she did the scarf as well so sophisticated and delicate. I also love her gloves.

xoxo Monroe

Fashion Steele NYC

 

Blogger The Fancy Teacup said ... (4:27 PM) : 

She looks so graceful. I'm in love with how she effortlessly styled her scarf, too.

www.TheFancyTeacup.com
much love.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:28 PM) : 

Do you think everyone references a certain (influential) period in their life style-wise in some small way? I like this idea a lot...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:30 PM) : 

She's a really beautiful woman!
So inspiring!
V.
http://particuliereblog.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:31 PM) : 

You know the picture shows more than just waves of her scarf. It's great composition consistet of light scarf, but also hair, dark coat, gloves and bag. This picture really shows that being eldery doesn't mean ugly, non-elegant or non-stylish. I love it. But one thing to add - this way of rolling scarves is a normal and very common thing in polish older women.

 

Anonymous Sinead said ... (4:32 PM) : 

This look is really common in Ireland with elderly ladies also!! Particularly women from rural areas. And the like wearing the scarves multicoloured! Beautliful

 

Blogger Cecille said ... (4:32 PM) : 

yes, old people are very inspiring in all ways!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:33 PM) : 

I love it to. Very much.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:42 PM) : 

the scarf puts me in mind of grace kelly - perfect for zipping along a mountain road in a convertible!

 

Blogger Rose said ... (4:42 PM) : 

Magical. Thank you yet again for using your unique eye to bring us inspiration in places we might not have seen it.

 

Anonymous Vanessa said ... (4:52 PM) : 

It's a beautiful shot, really. I love it.

 

Blogger Madame Awesomepants said ... (4:52 PM) : 

I remember my grandmother, who is now 80, always wore her scarves like that.

 

Anonymous Jane said ... (4:52 PM) : 

Agreed! I'm loving anew your pictures at the moment.

 

Blogger Anna said ... (4:53 PM) : 

so beautiful!
theultraviolette.blogspot.com

 

Blogger My Savage Side said ... (5:08 PM) : 

I can't be more agreed!


www.mysavageside.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Stylethusiast said ... (5:09 PM) : 

most of the old women in the Romania countryside wear the scarf exactly like this..you should definitely pay a visit to Transylvania :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:16 PM) : 

I have your book and 2 others. It seems that noone ever comes to Portugal!!! The Portuguese are very stylish people. Please put us on the fashion map!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 PM) : 

This reminds me of photos of my Italian great-grandmother... She wore a headscarf the same way.

 

Anonymous Augusta said ... (5:19 PM) : 

Our grandmothers here in Italy always wear their foulard like that. My Grandm, in her 60s and all the way through her 90s never went out without it.

 

Anonymous The Minx said ... (5:23 PM) : 

I absolutely love this.

 

Blogger Jessie said ... (5:31 PM) : 

i couldn't agree with you more! such a true statement. what a great photograph.

http://wordbyjessie.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:33 PM) : 

you are so right, the scarf rolled into gentle folds really is inspiration... what a wonderful inspiration indeed-

 

Blogger rossana coro said ... (5:41 PM) : 

i'm so happy that you are back to shoot people and not only skinny models. so cute! congrats!

 

Blogger Ashton H said ... (5:52 PM) : 

lovely :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:52 PM) : 

I enjoy nearly all your photos of fashion and beauty, but I must have a thing for older people, because their faces and fashion are most absorbing to me. The others I might flick through, but I always stop and savor an old face, man or woman. Thanks for posting such a diverse group. - Jean

 

Anonymous Anna-Fee said ... (5:54 PM) : 

look at the gesture of her hand.... like and extension of the waves of her scarf, that frames her gaze and thoughts?..

 

Blogger Prutha Raithatha said ... (6:00 PM) : 

she defi has a lot of style in subtle ways... beautiful pic

 

Anonymous Maureen French said ... (6:01 PM) : 

I really applaud your ability to see the beauty in the everyday look of this woman. In our youth obsessed culture, it is always refreshing for someone to appreciate older individuals...

 

Blogger pinky said ... (6:03 PM) : 

brilliant.

 

Blogger pinky said ... (6:04 PM) : 

you are so finely tuned....

 

Blogger Kathy said ... (6:22 PM) : 

I love that you saw this...appreciated it..shot it...and shared....I love it as well....k

 

Blogger jae said ... (6:25 PM) : 

i understand what you mean about older people, they really are amazing and that scarf is just devine.

www.jaelikesclothes.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous RFOD said ... (6:33 PM) : 

Beautiful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:37 PM) : 

I Love this. She looks so classic and classy without trying...People don't dress like they did years ago...too bad..

Visit the Inspiration Board
http://inspirefab.wordpress.com/

 

Blogger jackie said ... (6:43 PM) : 

absolutely beautiful post. i didn't see the waves of fabric in the same way, until you mentioned it- so true- so subtle and lovely. also, the way you pointed out that she has different references than someone younger is very interesting as well. maybe she was inspired by the movie stars of her era and the way they wore those scarves over there heads with sunglasses on... like audrey and sophia: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhtlezzvOI1qze4yoo1_500.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vphrfOG1qHk/TWnJUSTe7gI/AAAAAAAABlk/WsvjxDjOi-s/s1600/600full-sophia-loren.jpg

...maybe

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:58 PM) : 

i bet her scarf was place on her head for functional reasons. it looks nice. and, it's nice that you include older women in your fashion blog.

 

Blogger Mage said ... (6:59 PM) : 

That it's white makes it even more interesting. Think of all the fashion icons of the early sixties and their scarves: Grace Kelly, all the Kennedy women, Marilyn Monroe....

 

Blogger 2heels1flash said ... (6:59 PM) : 

so tenderrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:04 PM) : 

Interesting point Sartorialist, I suspect it works both ways - this lady minght be surprised that you singled her out at all and still more for something she might have thought a purely practical way of dealing with an item of clothing that was therefore invisible to her. I wonder if we have sartorial habits today that in 30 years time will seem worthy of interest? It would be fun to travel in time and review you blog and see which looks feel current and which "period" in 2041.

 

Anonymous Alyssa Trivelli said ... (7:07 PM) : 

Perfection! im going to wear my scarf like this next time i visit my nonna and find out if women in sicily used to wear them like this too.

www.atthechelseahotel.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:10 PM) : 

Very nice photo and caption. I often see such an impressive post. That is why I visit here everyday.

 

Blogger life is happy most of the time. said ... (7:12 PM) : 

i hope to be this amazing as i age! you are never too old to have a bit of true style right!? xxx

 

Anonymous carole said ... (7:15 PM) : 

I completely agree with you. A beautiful touch and anyone can do it.
Wouldn't that look great with an Hermes scarf?

 

Anonymous Mariana Filippe said ... (7:27 PM) : 

Great shots. Out of the cliche, careful choice, and an authentic personal view.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:30 PM) : 

Wouldn't it be fun if you had a section on your page where people could show you and each other their own interpretations of what they have seen here. It wouldn't/shouldn't have to be a literal copy, the looser the inspiration, the better. Oh fun!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 PM) : 

So many faces aging with grace and style

 

Blogger Arthurs House said ... (7:47 PM) : 

Beautiful post Scott. Thanks for sharing your vision and how this is inspirational for you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:47 PM) : 

Great shot in my hometown and it reveals your kindness that goes so far from fashion and taste.
The woman reminds me of my grandmother and my aunts: the smell in their bags and those silk scarves they put around my neck when I got a sore throat.
That's why I love this blog.

 

Blogger jennifer said ... (7:50 PM) : 

Posts like this are what make me really love your blog.

 

Blogger KatjaB said ... (7:53 PM) : 

You've got a great eye, you are so right! I love old people as well, they are so beyond any insecurities and have this special charisma. Can't wait to get there!

 

Blogger Liv said ... (7:59 PM) : 

feels like another century

 

Blogger Jocy said ... (8:11 PM) : 

lovely.

 

Anonymous LA Film Actress said ... (8:25 PM) : 

This is a beautiful and touching photo. This lady reminds me of a subject in a Dutch Old Master painting. Her black outfit and the white scarf around her hair could have emerged directly from the quiet, refined classicism of 17th century European art. She looks like she belongs in Alain Corneau's wonderful film "Tous les matins du monde."

Thank you for these photos of ladies of all ages, Scott.

http://www.libertasfilmmagazine.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 PM) : 

captivating shot. refreshing yet galvanizing. j'adore.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:40 PM) : 

A true inspiration to all. I love the creme-colored scarf and how she put it over her neck like that. I also love her leather gloves. It really shows how fashionable a women can be by going so simple.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:44 PM) : 

Ok ... the photo is amazing but more amazing is the sensibility and the words you choose to describe!
I'm a huge fan by reading one post!!!
I will be here every day... fashion and poetry do you want more inspiration than that!
Thank you


Michelli Buback

 

Blogger Julie Khuu | Haute Khuuture said ... (8:46 PM) : 

Beautifully said, beautifully captured. The scarf look can be duplicated, but I don't think with this kind of panache...Definitely one that's been honed over time...Love this shot!

xo-Julie

Haute Khuuture Blog

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 PM) : 

Molto molto bella. This is why I admire your work!! Keep it up!!

 

Anonymous Amy Creyer (ChicagoStreetStyle.com) said ... (8:50 PM) : 

I love the way you explain and contextualize photos that are important to you.

http://www.chicagostreetstyle.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:51 PM) : 

Thank you so much for featuring a set of older citizens who have are so chic and have elan!!! It's high time we celebrate the wiser and older set who have many fashion statements to teach us! Perfectly lovely and long overdue! Thank you for your beautiful eye!

 

Anonymous Christi said ... (8:58 PM) : 

This is great. I only hope I can be half as classy as I age.

 

Anonymous Carol Markel said ... (9:12 PM) : 

The scarf tie works because the fabric is chiffon, not a slippery silk.

 

Blogger Cathy said ... (9:33 PM) : 

Beautiful! I willing to bet she has many fabulous stories!

http://www.cathykhayes.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:36 PM) : 

Absolutely elegant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:40 PM) : 

I love this, the way the scarf rolls under her chin is so chic, so feminine and elegant, and such a beautiful surprise as your eyes move down the picture.

I also always enjoy reading your personal commentary on a photo, would love to see it more!

 

Blogger Erica said ... (9:41 PM) : 

I love seeing "older" people on your blog. Fashion is for everyone. She looks wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 PM) : 

Bravissima. Thank you for this.

 

Anonymous Angie Muresan said ... (10:03 PM) : 

I love the way she looks! So natural and elegant.

 

Blogger Miss French Navy said ... (10:19 PM) : 

Such a lovely post - and I love the way you describe the the clothing and talk about the person you have photographed. It's always a lovely and inspirational read.

 

Anonymous Julia said ... (10:21 PM) : 

It is because of pictures like this that I love your blog.

 

Anonymous SPEAKcreativity said ... (10:25 PM) : 

Love this photo! She looks effortless and the scarf seems to be a signature of hers...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 PM) : 

My grandma in Bosnia would wear a scarf like this almost all the time. She had lots of them, different colors, patterns and quality – those for around the house, for outings and those for church. She passed away two years ago. Before she died two years ago she asked me what I wanted from the little that she had and all I wanted was one of her scarfs. I keep it in the top draw of my bedside table. Thank you.

 

Blogger Iphigenia said ... (10:35 PM) : 

My greek grandmothers used to wear their headscarves like this. I miss those days. The lady on your post is beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 PM) : 

Our family lived in Germany in the early 60's and this was the preferred way to wear a scarf. Very chic (and practical)!

 

Blogger Caddy said ... (11:13 PM) : 

I really like and agree with what you wrote about how older people "have different design references than someone 20 or even 50 years old."

Thanks for pointing that out. It makes me want to be more aware of how people of a different generation dress so I can take note of inspiring things from them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:15 PM) : 

I think its a great photo, she looks chic and elegant and at the same time she inspires that self confidence that comes from living a life full of experiencies. Love your blog and your work:)

 

Anonymous Miriam said ... (11:16 PM) : 

Your ability to see beauty in so much of your surroundings is inspirational.

 

Blogger Aubrey and Melissa said ... (11:30 PM) : 

Hm.. It is really interesting to here your inspiration. This is why I enjoy your blog so much, you point out things most people overlook. This is really beautiful in such a subtly way, that cascading ruffles are awesome.

 

Anonymous Plain T-Shirt said ... (11:33 PM) : 

Beautiful picture; she doesn't try for style rather than just dress how she normally would. Lovely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 PM) : 

I think Elizabeth Taylor used to do this; this pic is beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 PM) : 

It is interesting. You seem to find yourself through the urban experience, reflections of yourself in the spirit and soul of others. Their beauty, imagination, poignancy, their self-expressive details. May you always maintain such sensitivity. Thank you for sharing it with us.

 

Blogger Mani said ... (1:01 AM) : 

I really love this shot! I couldn't help noticing the gloves, too

 

Anonymous meenal @ maison marigold said ... (1:02 AM) : 

images of older people do have something extra..maybe the hint of life they have lived that peeks through the lines on their faces..i do love the way she had tied the scarf with all its layers showing...lovely image.. xx meenal

 

Blogger Laurel said ... (1:57 AM) : 

Unexpected beauty is always the best.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:18 AM) : 

older ladies have built up their own taste and style over the years. they have their 'trial and errors' and the result that they stick to is always charismatic.

that's the precious thing that makes them stand out.

g.

http://lushgazine.wordpress.com

 

Blogger Sea Angels said ... (2:49 AM) : 

I love this picture..she has no makeup on...and looks really fabulous..not overdone and totally elegant..lifts your hopes xxx

 

Blogger Oh my Dior! said ... (2:58 AM) : 

how cool for being old :) so so classy

http://www.ohmydior.org/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:26 AM) : 

Very good this picture, wonderful!

Besos desde ♥ La ropa me vuelve loca!

 

Blogger My Unfinished Life said ... (3:44 AM) : 

yeah!!..and also the way she has paired the off white scarf with the black coat!!

 

Blogger Maryla said ... (3:48 AM) : 

You blog is an endless source of inspiration. Thank you for that!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 AM) : 

Thank you for this beautiful photo. I find I am increasingly inspired by stylish older women, particularly those with simplicity and certainty like this lady. In praise of older women!

 

Blogger KC said ... (3:53 AM) : 

younger people are actually lucky to still see the best of the past.

nouveauskin.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:14 AM) : 

You should write more, Mr. Shuman.
Sincerely.

 

Blogger Kairi Kuuskmann said ... (4:18 AM) : 

First i wanted to say how glad i am about this post, everything you said is so true. She is the first woman iv seen wearing that trend(apart from my great grandmother, when i was 4) after D&G introduced that style on their Fall 2008 collection(http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/F2008RTW-DG/)! It did look great on the catwalk, but appearently noone has dared to pull it off. So big respect to that Lady!

http://kairikuuskmann.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:30 AM) : 

This look is extremely common in Europe among elderly ladies. It is also a trend which has occurred several times in (fashion) history. I'm surprised you say you'd never seen it before, in tune as you claim to be with all things 'fashion'. Maybe you had, many times, but only recently started REALLY seeing it, noticing it.

 

Blogger Andrei Iacob said ... (4:33 AM) : 

i love shooting older people! most of them have great style and they all look like good persons

 

Anonymous www.atelier-dr-tappeiner.eu said ... (5:03 AM) : 

Amo Milano
Marga

 

Blogger MELISSA Z. said ... (5:06 AM) : 

oh yes, this pic is a piece of art! Congrats!

www.abitoffashion.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:20 AM) : 

..yes, a look you find in every Catholic country...very popular in the 1950's when you were expected to dress up for Mass and also had to have your head covered so slipping on a silk scarf was perfect, and more modern and easy than a hat. Then B Bardot came along in the 60's & tied the ends round the back of her neck...v glam. esp on back of a scooter...

 

Anonymous miho said ... (5:23 AM) : 

Beautiful shot and chic.
I like this photo.

 

Blogger Maryla said ... (5:33 AM) : 

I'm one of the "fans of a certain age" of your blog and I have to say that many of your shots are a great inspiration for me. Thank you very, very much for that!

 

Blogger Sara said ... (5:52 AM) : 

Precious words, and precious job you've done!
Thank you!!
http://lifeincurl.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous mego said ... (6:20 AM) : 

Yes, the point is in the material of the scarf...is an old one, maybe? i tryed to find something like this but now is all 100 % polyester..hers might be some sort of silk / shangtung / crepé ? i don't know, just saw it in my grandmother's closet...

 

Anonymous mhs said ... (6:24 AM) : 

I think she has the same reference as my aunt and my mother: Grace Kelly in her film star days. An association with open top cars comes to my mind..
mhs

 

Anonymous Zephyr said ... (6:32 AM) : 

It's a very common look here, in Hungary, fol elder people, and it is not seen as style at all... It is the sign of the LACK of interest in fashion, the OPPOSITE of style. I was very surprised to see this here, on this blog... I can understand that if someone is not familiar with this look he may find it interesting, but... it's not style for me, sorry.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:40 AM) : 

GEAT INSPIRATION INDEED!

 

Blogger alessandra said ... (6:45 AM) : 

great photo. In Italy the scarves were used a lot in the past. I remember my mum and I were wearing scarves in the same way in the '70's (only mine were kid's ones with flowers or something). Unfortunately nowadays are very much associated with old people! a shame really...bring the head scarves back!

 

Anonymous Titou said ... (6:50 AM) : 

Great post and picture. Real elegance doesn't need to be taught.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:53 AM) : 

older people have class and wisdom that you can see through their eyes, eyes that have seen war, death, birth, and years of beautiful things. They have timeless elegance that we should all capture before its too late.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:30 AM) : 

My grandma used to wear the scarf like this. This picture remainds me her. Besos desde España

 

Blogger Ciaragh-Lee said ... (7:39 AM) : 

The classic head scarf look it so beautiful. Sometimes we overlook the style of old people.

http://www.cicidi.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 AM) : 

my grandma always does like this, she's 89)

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (7:57 AM) : 

I'm surprised that you haven't posted pictures of well dressed older people while you were in Florence. When I was in that city last year, I've never seen such well dressed people in my whole life. 95% were old people.

 

Blogger Luciane at HomeBunch.com said ... (8:32 AM) : 

Inspiration is what we're looking for... more so than fashion.

xo


Luciane at HomeBunch.com

 

Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said ... (8:38 AM) : 

Beautiful woman and photo.

The folds of the scarf remind of Bernini sculptures on the Sant Angelo Bridge in Rome. Bellissima

 

Anonymous Juliska said ... (8:56 AM) : 

So very true! I used to live in Milan and always admired the way these old "signore" dressed. So appropriate, so becoming...Always in impeccable style!

 

Anonymous Naftali Stern @ The Bohmerian said ... (9:01 AM) : 

What a great shot!! Love the whit scarf.

theBohmerian.com

 

Anonymous Key said ... (9:20 AM) : 

In my opinion, this is where you really shine, Scott - being able to pick up on such subtle nuances in individual style. I always wear mufflers with a crisscross at my throat as you showed months ago (I've never seen anyone else do this) and you can bet I'll use this little accent trick too.

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (9:42 AM) : 

My mother used to wear scarves this way. In her youth, this was the definitive way of wearing a Hermès scarf. (Do people care about Hermès scarves/squares these days?)

In London, I think this is also fairly common among young fashionable women of Muslim descent. Or so was I told by one of them.

http://davidikus.blogspot.com/
http://www.davidranc.com

 

Anonymous Barbara B said ... (10:07 AM) : 

There seem to be so many layers of fabric, does anyone have a clue about how this happened? Not just the rolling, I'd say. I think the layers are at least as intriguing as the rolling. This picture truly moves me, aswell as the fact that it provokes so many commentaries.

 

Anonymous Angelus said ... (10:18 AM) : 

Great shot, best words!! Posts like this are what make me really love your blog.

 

Blogger Martina Minguzzi said ... (10:22 AM) : 

that's why we love you!

 

Anonymous Frank Minutillo said ... (10:40 AM) : 

I don't remember what first drew me to your blog...I am neither clothes conscious nor style concious. But it is posts like this that really keep me coming back for more.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:12 AM) : 

Thanks for the spate of lovely mature faces!
~Madeline

 

Anonymous Carole (NY etc.) said ... (12:50 PM) : 

Maybe you should visit the rest of France ? Outside Paris I mean... My grand mother's town is full of these elegant in an old way persons... :) I agree, the company of the elderly can be very inspiring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:04 PM) : 

Lovely...in Ireland where I hail from, women of a certain age wear headscarves like this esp when they go to mass or in inclement weather (which is quite often :). Every Christmas I send home a headscarf and or a brooch of some discription to my Grandmother in Ireland..she would nvr dream of entering a church without a headscarf on.

 

Anonymous THE COSMOPOLITANS said ... (1:06 PM) : 

F A B U L O U S.

You can see her whole life and experiences in this look.

 

Anonymous Manuela said ... (1:31 PM) : 

This is how my Austrian grandmother wore (and still wears, at 92!) her scarf, which is whenever she is outside. When Omama would visit us in the States and walk us to school, she would make me and my sisters wear little scarves (tied like this) as well -- we were so embarrassed. :)

This pic is very nostalgic for me (though I never really thought of it as stylish before).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:06 PM) : 

If you ever travel to Tehran you'll be in a for a treat. The mandatory Islamic dressing (e.g. head cover) has made women come up with unconventional ways of expressing their sense of style.

 

Anonymous Aimes said ... (4:03 PM) : 

This makes me feel so amazed. Love!

http://mylifeasawifey.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Sam said ... (4:33 PM) : 

It's a really inspiring picture!

This is the also the way Romanian women tie scarves on their head when they are wearing the traditional national costume. The only difference is that the scarves are usually very colorful. Here is an example (there are several pictures taken at an exhibition by a Romanian photographer, you'll see two pictures with women wearing scarves):

http://fashionthroughtravel.blogspot.com/2010/07/photography-exhibition-cafe-verona.html

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 PM) : 

This is a common "babushka" look from the Slavic countries for sure but I bet it was common all over Europe. God knows every adult female in my family including my mother had that exact look.

Considering how plain women keep their hair nowadays (I came up in the 80's when they were always permed) it would be nice to see the head scarf look come back, especially since we guys sort of regained the brimmed hat.

 

Blogger Luana said ... (5:20 PM) : 

my italy! ^_^

http://lulu-ouicestmoi.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Ludji said ... (5:31 PM) : 

<3

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 PM) : 

If I'm not mistaken, Rachel McAdams wore this head piece in a scene from The Notebook. Along with her 1950's wardrobe for the film, she looked incredibly chic. Either way, it can make any woman (chic or gamine in style) look positively pure and graceful.

 

Blogger Natasha E. said ... (11:47 PM) : 

В России много бабушек носят платки, завязывая их под подбородком. По-моему, это выглядит очень мило и как-то по-родному.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 AM) : 

best shot of the blog, so far. amazing. so chic, so simple.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 AM) : 

Then, you;ve never been to the rural areas of Romania. There, all the women wear their scarfs like that and it's a sign of "ruralism", rather than distinction :)

 

Anonymous sofia said ... (6:52 AM) : 

It's so true! Especially here in Milan I've seen the most amazing older people - perfectly dressed in the smallest details. It's like they really perfect their style over the years, everything very taught out.

I think THIS is the real Italian style.

 

Anonymous Sam said ... (7:24 AM) : 

In response to what Anonymous said about the so-called "sign of ruralism" of older women in Romania, it's sad that he/she doesn't feel any connection to the traditional national style. Yes it is true, that women in rural areas wear scarves like that, but it's a sign of keeping the traditions and it also can be beautiful as you could see in my example a few comments above (about the photography exhibition) and not just plain and uninteresting.

 

Blogger Big Hug Studio said ... (9:56 AM) : 

I think if you were to visit Eastern Europe you would find many women wearing this style...it's very much like the look of those matryoshka/babushka dolls.

 

Blogger Kelly Erin said ... (10:24 AM) : 

elegance personified!

 

Blogger from the Lady Philosopher said ... (10:25 AM) : 

Its hard to make this scarf over the head look modern. Maybe you can bring it back? I love it.
The right to fashion!
http://theskyofstars.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

@Sam: i was saying it in a nice way. In the examples given by you it's a sign of tradition since it's being worn with traditional costumes. Otherwise, it's usualy worn by ladies from the countryside. and the word "ruralism" didn't have a critical meaning, it was just the reality :)

 

Anonymous Sam said ... (12:14 PM) : 

@Anonymous: I get your point. I must've interpreted it in a more critical and "decisive aginst" way if you understand what I mean :)

 

Anonymous Dani Brasil said ... (12:38 PM) : 

I wish I could know how to do this with a scarf!!! Perfect.

 

Blogger efathk said ... (1:11 PM) : 

so nice to grow old with grace....

 

Anonymous saM tK said ... (2:12 PM) : 

I love the cream color, way classier than a pure white which exudes an elegance that probably runs deep within her...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 PM) : 

I am 53 and live in Ohio.I saw this look plenty as a child in the 60's and the scarves often covered either beehive or very curly hairstyles.Love the look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 PM) : 

What an amazing post and commentary.

 

Blogger André said ... (9:40 PM) : 

What a brilliant shot!

About the scarf I think it is (was?) very common around Europe back in the day...although here in Portugal you will see some elderly women wearing scarves like that...but they aren´t usually as stylish as this one. Perhaps because usually they are darker (black...brown...)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 PM) : 

This is very common for older people in my country, Serbia, especially when talking about rural areas, villages, etc.. It's also common a lot in the whole region, so you may see so in Montenegro, Croatia, Romania, etc..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:59 AM) : 

No but discussing the qualities of a scarf is EXACTLY what we need to be doing. Our points of reference are so small most of the time. This post offers inspiration, motivation and - most importantly - a reminder to maintain perspective.

 

Blogger Ari said ... (10:33 AM) : 

I couldn't agree more

http://advancedstyle.blogspot.com/

Ari Seth Cohen

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 AM) : 

In Eastern Europe old women (especially at the countryside) wear scarfs rolled like this :)

 

Anonymous Fiamma said ... (1:48 AM) : 

Actually it is really common between older italian woman. My grandmother used to wear one to go to church.

 

Blogger Edit said ... (6:38 AM) : 

Mi abuela holandesa, ha llevado las bufandas y los pañuelos, toda la vida, de ese modo. Viendo esta foto, la traigo a la memoria, hecha pura ternura.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 AM) : 

Thank you for the lovely portraits of elderly people who have personality, humour, grace, style, temperament and elegance. It is important for the young ones to know that life goes on after 50 60 70 and even 80 and more!!! Style is timeless and ageless. More beautiful old people please Scott.

You know your blog is a favourite also for a 65-plus person like me.

 

Blogger Judith Anna said ... (6:01 PM) : 

Thank you for noticing and sharing!
Bisou Anna

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 PM) : 

My grandma used to wear her scarf like this (Dalmatia, Croatia). And beneath was the most beautiful shiny thick long hair. She was a beautiful woman. Thanks for reminding me of her.

And do come to coastal Croatia to see our unique style. xx

 

Anonymous D. Hodge said ... (7:42 PM) : 

I really love this photo. She's so incredibly confident and she proves that both scarves and simplicity are perennial.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 PM) : 

Deeply touching ... your commentary/ eye are so sharp and of the moment - capturing the precious of what is and moving deeply into it .... living in the Now, enlightenment and enlightening! Thanks for sharing and seeing.

 

Blogger fardu' de obraz said ... (6:47 PM) : 

you should my grandma living in the countryside :D 76...

 

Blogger fardu' de obraz said ... (6:49 PM) : 

you should've seen my grandma!she's 76 year old and shes allways wearinf this :P

 

Blogger Mads said ... (8:46 PM) : 

This is the one image on your blog that will not load, and the one that I am SO intrigued to see.
If ANYONE can somehow link me to see this image, it would be so very much appreciated!

 

Anonymous manchester escorts said ... (8:59 PM) : 

She is sheer elegance and you are right when you say we can pick up inspiration from anywhere, especially the older generation.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:22 AM) : 

Scott you should go to Hungary. Every older woman is wearing her scarf like this. :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:15 AM) : 

You know, your photos are so amazing that you don't need words and often you don't add them. I think you have a great way with words and I love it when you add comments and provide an insight into what you saw and how it inspired you to take the photo. As you did for this shot.

 

Blogger Siblings said ... (7:46 AM) : 

i love how your imagination escapes you from this world and takes you to another world, another time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:06 PM) : 

Yes yes yes!! Older women very usually inspire me too! Refreshing to see some women are still immune to the latest fashion trends and are still quite classy!!

 

Anonymous hazel lethaby said ... (5:14 PM) : 

She reminds me of Edie Bouvier Beale of Grey Gardens. She took her alopecia and turned it into something beautiful.

http://hazellethaby.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger arlene k said ... (10:54 AM) : 

She looks as if she would fit perfectly in a Dutch painting - an updated Vermeer, perhaps...

 

Anonymous anniep said ... (8:57 AM) : 

It's poetry!

 

Anonymous ivy lee said ... (1:52 PM) : 

I'm very proud of you right now.

 

Anonymous Melanie said ... (10:16 PM) : 

I would choke if I tried this look.

Melanie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:04 AM) : 

No, you haven't seen women wear scarfs like this!?...ahhh, mais non :). Travel to Romania, country side :) you'll see it everywhere.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 PM) : 

Thank you for showing this beautiful picture. Inspiration, beauty and style is timeless.

 

Blogger amir said ... (2:55 AM) : 

i like your point of view .

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting