This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Slim Jeans vs Hipster Jeans, Florence & Milan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

On the Street.....Slim Jeans vs Hipster Jeans, Florence & Milan

Slim Jeans

Hipster Jeans

Comments on "On the Street.....Slim Jeans vs Hipster Jeans, Florence & Milan"

 

Blogger Sweet Pea (formerly Alice) said ... (5:32 PM) : 

Ohh So slick... I love that blazer!
Just a Silhouette

 

Blogger Sweet Pea (formerly Alice) said ... (5:32 PM) : 

I prefer the slim actually...
Just a Silhouette

 

Anonymous Helen said ... (5:34 PM) : 

big big fan of hipster jeans on men, there is something so incredibly sexy about them.

 

Blogger Marc said ... (5:35 PM) : 

Hipster jeans are just a little too snug.

 

Blogger Angelica said ... (5:37 PM) : 

I really love the tartan jacket!

Angelica

http://angystearoom.com

 

Blogger Brannon said ... (5:37 PM) : 

As bad as I feel for saying it, I love those hipster jeans, especially paired with the shoes

(...faux pas or not, I am seemingly biased, as I am wearing the exact same lower half ensemble today, with the exception of the leather being brown. haha, perfect.)

 

Blogger Sara Szatmary said ... (5:38 PM) : 

One vote for slim jeans. They're more timeless and seem less planned.

 

Blogger Matthew Spade said ... (5:53 PM) : 

slim jim's but i'd still say a little slimmer for me. drainpipes make me feel too young, 17 again!

 

Blogger brightlightsbigcity said ... (5:55 PM) : 

I'm preferring the hipster jeans here but i absolutely love the blazer in the first picture.

http://watermelonfeet.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Billy said ... (5:55 PM) : 

Slim over Hipster, definitely. I love a tight-ish fit on men's legs, but I don't need to see it scrunching from how tight it is.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:56 PM) : 

Hipster all the way!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:56 PM) : 

Slim always!! :)
Been wearing slim jeans for the last 26 years and no regrets! for me it's a classic.
have some Hipsters too but I am 41 now so....

 

Blogger Fashion Agony said ... (5:57 PM) : 

So amazingly elegant!

xoxo
http://fashionagony.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:57 PM) : 

The first image seems to be a poor representation of the "slim" style. Both pairs seem to be pretty damn skinny to me... anyone else agree? I do like the more tailored inseam on the first gentleman, though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:59 PM) : 

I like that this man has curvy knees. ;-)

Give me a man with a bit of substance on his bones over those boney blokes any day.


I can understand the outrage and offence people have taken over the use of the word "curvy" as I have very curly hair and insist people do not say curly...
One could say my hair is curvy ...in fact on windy days it is really big and curvy.

I insist people say "follicle difference against mainstream representation of mops" rather than 'curly'.
It's a curvy~curly thing!

******
But seriously now....In a world where people are dying of natural disasters, wars are raging in countries, children are being killed by sick & troubled adults, it seems a sad state of affairs that much print, air & media time is taken up with one mans use of the word 'curvy'.

Too many of us have too much time on our hands and are spending it nit-picking a word & adding our own blah-de-blah to irrelevant debates about whether a woman should be offended because a man has called her curvy!

Americas collective contribution to really important solutions across the globe seems to be diminishing rapidly when I open my computer and this kind of 'debate' fills my screen.

Perhaps everyone needs to take a bit of time and book themselves into the Draaama detox unit?
It's open for business...
http://carolom.wordpress.com/2008/05/31/drama-detox-unit-open-for-business/

 

Blogger my healthy twist said ... (6:01 PM) : 

Love em both! XOXO, www.NatalyasCloset.com

 

Anonymous SMB said ... (6:04 PM) : 

Love the photo of the man in the slim jeans. Not a huge fan of the hipsters. They always strike me as really juvenile but not in a good way.

 

Anonymous nyccops said ... (6:13 PM) : 

Ummmmm to confine skinny jeans to a category of jeans that "hipsters" wear seams pretty close-minded. Many people who would not consider themselves "hipster" could wear skin tight jeans and self-proclaimed "hipsters" would never confine themselves to one look or one cut of jean. I do not think reinforcing labels on people and reinforcing that certain people dress a certain way is smart, fashion is ubiquitous and transcends specific looks and the personalities society associates with them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:21 PM) : 

sorry but i've never heard of "hipster" jeans...there are variations of hipsters and i do not think that every member of that subculture wears drainpipes, which is actually what the jeans in the second picture are

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:22 PM) : 

Not a fan of either look actually straight jeans are so much more more stylish than either look.

 

Blogger alexander anthony said ... (6:36 PM) : 

slim jeans for me personally. they're more versatile in a wardrobe and therefore allows the wearer to "age" them in and build a "patina" of sorts.

IMO hipster jeans are already overripe as a trend.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:41 PM) : 

I vote for the slim (*^-^*)

 

Anonymous Simon said ... (7:02 PM) : 

Hipster jeans look cheaper, more worn and dirtier. Slim jeans look like they were dry-cleaned.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:06 PM) : 

I hate them both. Bring back the boot cut! Skinny or hipster jeans on a man make him look top heavy and unbalanced, not to mention a bit uncomfortable and uptight.

 

Blogger HappyLegs said ... (7:13 PM) : 

I'd have to say the SLIM, but... I think the wash of the denim might be affecting my vote..

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:17 PM) : 

I'm usually not into those type of jeans on guys...but it does look incredibly sexy on him♥

 

Blogger Arya said ... (7:20 PM) : 

I'm 21 and have already grown out of hipster jeans, those slim jeans look perfect though!

 

Anonymous rebecca said ... (7:30 PM) : 

Definitely slim! There's definitely something "odd" about imaging a man struggling to get his jeans over his heels!!

 

Anonymous sanmiguelense said ... (7:36 PM) : 

The slim are a sixties cut and are totally cool. The hipster style are just like hipsters themselves: yesterday's bread, stale and on sale!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:37 PM) : 

I would love to hear from the hipster-jean-wearing guys on this blog about how they manage to squeeze their man bits into those jeans and how it feels to wear them.
HOW??? I've been really curious about this for years when the first ones started to appear in my neighborhood (Fort Greene).
I know fashion is pain but this look always struck me as extreme (at least for the men).
Thanks!

 

Blogger pdrajdev said ... (7:42 PM) : 

lol Hipster-Doofus (Seinfeld)
i like the second image

lol @ Carolom

www.pdrajdev.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 PM) : 

Whats the difference between the two?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:48 PM) : 

Neither of them fit well. The slim jeans are not flattering on this particular wearer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 PM) : 

Slim, definitely. At the same time I think the man in the first pic is very handsome and the slim pants make his legs look rather short and out of proportion relative to his torso. So I would vote for a more flattering (e.g. wider) cut on him!

 

Blogger UESman said ... (7:59 PM) : 

The difference is around the amount of fabric wrapping around the calf and ankle....I don't care if people want to wear hipster jeans, but they I hope they're bright enough to not cut off their circulation completely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:02 PM) : 

Hipster jeans just can't work with a low-cut shoe.

 

Anonymous Jane said ... (8:15 PM) : 

Slim equals classic, to me. Although I kind of think his could have been just a touch longer or perhaps worn without socks...

 

Anonymous LolóRey said ... (8:20 PM) : 

for me definitely the slim jeans, totally love the look, it is just great combination with the jacket and color...

Awesome, totally love it ! ! !
Hugs

 

Anonymous pika said ... (8:33 PM) : 

I prefer slim by far...

 

Blogger JMEL said ... (8:36 PM) : 

I prefer the Hipster Jeans :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:41 PM) : 

xoxo hipster!!

 

Anonymous FAME said ... (8:43 PM) : 

Great photos. Glad you pointed out the difference. There definitely is one!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 PM) : 

Slim is sexy, but more stove pipe slim, not hipster slim. Both are too tight for my taste. Frankly, I would rather see guys prancing around in tights over those things.

 

Blogger Jessie said ... (9:00 PM) : 

i think slim jeans are a better look for guys. the hipster jeans are a bit too tight for my liking. the first guys look is fabulous

http://wordbyjessie.com/

 

Blogger Melissa said ... (9:16 PM) : 

not a fan of the hipster jeans

http://lavie-amonavis.blogspot.com

 

Blogger The Sartor said ... (9:16 PM) : 

both jeans are hipster to me really...the first one has a little more room, but not much...and they are too short! I think the fit of jeans needs to loosen up a bit..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:19 PM) : 

For me, the difference is that my none-too-muscular calves will fit into slim jeans, but will not fit into hipster jeans.

 

Blogger Cybee said ... (9:23 PM) : 

Okay, I was trying to figure out the difference between the two. So above poster is saying that hipster jeans are tighter around the calf? Well, per that description, I would likely prefer the slim but in the photos, I think the slims appears a wee bit too short and I don't like the contrast stitch on such dark jeans (cheapens the look to me) ...so I like the hipster jeans in the photos above.

 

Blogger Phoebe Lai said ... (9:26 PM) : 

Definitely slim jeans. Looks so much more polished. hipster skinny jeans are just obnoxious

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:28 PM) : 

The gentleman has great style. The blazer's colours compliments the jeans.
Nice photo MR. Schuman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 PM) : 

Slim is definitely the way to go. I can't even begin to comprehend hipster jeans, which is just a better way of saying "meggings". Ugh. I still haven't even understood jeggings for women. Further proof of their ridiculousness: Levi's calls their version of this <A HREF="http://dontaskmetosmile.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/wtf-the-levis-ex-girlfriend-jeans/>the Ex-girlfriend jeans</A>. Arrrrgh.

 

Blogger raymond said ... (9:33 PM) : 

Hipster, meaning skinny?

Really... that's some serious skinny jeans.

 

Anonymous RW said ... (9:33 PM) : 

Hmmm... I think that a negative reaction has happened as a result of labeling the second pair of jeans "hipster". That term gets thrown around a lot... it's kind of derogatory but doesn't really mean anything (IMO).

It's also pretty funny to me that people fuss and wonder how men can fit into tight jeans (testicle temperature aside). The second pair are really not even that tight...

I think both styles are nice and well executed, but you definitely have to have a certain build to pull of the second pair.

 

Blogger j4ckb1ng said ... (9:38 PM) : 

I'm loving the blazer. The skinny jeans only look half-acceptable on men under 25.

 

Blogger AKB said ... (10:04 PM) : 

I like the slim fit. They're classic.

 

Blogger Naftali Stern said ... (10:25 PM) : 

Like em both, yet I feel that slim jeans par beter with more things and still see chic.Loving the plaid jacket and white pocket-chief!

theBohmerian.com

 

Anonymous Kristijonas said ... (10:31 PM) : 

Tough call: I wear both - but it all depends on the mood, the weather, the occasion, and the rest of the ensemble.

For others - It's a personal call that rests solely in the waist-size of the brave soul that aspires to wear a pair of either.

I'd just stick to sweatpants and cargo shorts if I was them. ;)

 

Blogger crowleyancanto said ... (11:09 PM) : 

I hope slim jeans go out of fashion by the end of the week...

 

Anonymous saM tK said ... (11:24 PM) : 

Beautiful, so handsome and careful at the same time, the shoes complete their looks, they accentuate the jeans as if the jeans were the mid part of a sentence and the shoes are the 'point finale'!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:32 PM) : 

SLIM BABY!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:19 AM) : 

Just recently bought my first pair of slim jeans after wearing boot cut for most of my young adulthood. They look more mature in my opinion, and as I've been keeping in shape, I definitely don't want to hide under loose fitting clothes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:22 AM) : 

The proportions in the second photo work really well.

In the first... I really love the jacket, ... but. I don't mean to be mean, but honestly, the combination of the short inseam, the overly-pristine dark wash denim, the tapering effect of the leg line (not-so-skinny upper leg to skinny ankle), & the big blazer create an overall proportion that makes me think of Gru from _Despicable Me_. So I'll vote no on those jeans.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 AM) : 

I like the "slim" over the "hipster."

But to be perfectly honest, if the Florentine man was a 20 year old Brooklynite I'd call him a hipster.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 AM) : 

I agree with 'anonymous' at 5.57pm.
They both look stylish and a bit funky with the gorgeous shoes, for any guy of any age.
Ciao, L. x x

 

Blogger Matt said ... (1:26 AM) : 

'hipster jeans' love 'em!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 AM) : 

Whats next .... tights in Denim ?

 

Blogger mina said ... (2:05 AM) : 

Both pairs are worn so well.

I think slim jeans make knees look a bit too heavy.

The tight jeans here look amazing...

Now, I understand the term "hipster" but I think my understanding is different from other people's. Mr. Schuman, would you like to give us your definition?

 

Blogger Caroline said ... (2:09 AM) : 

I love this...and the shoes are way too beautiful... Great mix of contrasting elements.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:28 AM) : 

I don't think that 'Hipster' has to have negative connotations.

But I agree with the comment above; if the first man was much younger, he would be labeled as 'Hipster', as is the case with a lot of young men with any sense of style.

 

Anonymous Aldrin said ... (3:01 AM) : 

I think it all depends on what kind of build you have as far as lower body. How big your calves in contrast with ones thighs and waist, has a lot to do with what jeans look better on person. For me, slim looks better with almost everything. Hipster or skinnys make look super young.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:06 AM) : 

That's a difficult choice...but I'd have to go with slim. LOVE the blazer. Why don't men dress like that in Los Angeles.
curatorsofstyle.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:08 AM) : 

same difference. both are AMAZING regardless of its relevance. cheers! ro

 

Anonymous SecretCils said ... (3:13 AM) : 

Love men who dare, my man would never ever wear slim oe hipster jeans..:)

 

Anonymous laura venice said ... (3:23 AM) : 

jeans troppo corti e troppo vanitosi... come troppo spesso sono i maschi italiani, ah ah!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:34 AM) : 

Slim all the way!

 

Blogger Montserrat García Bastos said ... (3:44 AM) : 

Es increible la elegancia natural de los hombres italianos. Llevan como nadie las blazers. Un saludo
http://isauraamandabybastos.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger THE PURSE FORUM ADVISORY said ... (3:47 AM) : 

I'm mad for the plaid and curious about the dark jeans.

http://www.thepurseforumadvisory.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 AM) : 

'Hipster' jeans ?

Come on Sartorialist.

 

Blogger Amena N said ... (4:01 AM) : 

While I'll always vote slim jeans, I think the hipster is being shortchanged as we don't have context of the whole outfit to go by.

 

Blogger eliza said ... (4:39 AM) : 

I actually really like them both.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:59 AM) : 

I prefere the Hipster Jeans because they look so much damn sexier than any other jean. it grabs, and makes you show what you have.<-- that's so cliche!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:04 AM) : 

I like them both. 'nuff said.

 

Blogger MELISSA Z. said ... (5:21 AM) : 

love the jacket of the man in the first pic, so cool!

www.abitoffashion.com

 

Blogger fashionxxi said ... (5:41 AM) : 

Cool man! love the hipster

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:43 AM) : 

This is easy. If you have long skinny legs and thighs, wear either. Just please, men, no gym bunnies in the skinnies, thank you.

 

Blogger Mertxe Hernàndez said ... (5:53 AM) : 

Amazing Shoes


http://mertxehernandez.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Jessican said ... (6:38 AM) : 

I'm a little over the hipster jeans. I love how slim jeans just sit slightly above the ankle. Also, I always feel slightly deflated when I see guys with the tight hipster jeans on and they secretly have skinnier legs than I do ...

 

Blogger Milica said ... (7:16 AM) : 

Love his coat!

www.modeuncover.com

 

Blogger Rick Williams said ... (7:16 AM) : 

My god... Suddenly it's 7th grade in 1969 again: Pegged jeans and wingtips!

 

Blogger MONICA SORS said ... (7:17 AM) : 

I love the blazer!

 

Anonymous fossi said ... (7:31 AM) : 

could some one please tell me the differnce? i dont get it. the first one is skinny, little tuckling and a little bit too short. but second has the sam properties? so i dont get it what exactly the differnce should be?

 

Blogger Ciaragh-Lee said ... (7:32 AM) : 

I really love this look. A very casual yet cool outfit. Shows he is perfectly secure in himself.

http://www.cicidi.com

 

Blogger Nolita said ... (7:47 AM) : 

Love how Italian men dress, so slick!

----www.nolitavintage.com---
----Nolita Vintage Facebook---

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 AM) : 

The skinny jeans are just skinny jeans, not hipster jeans. There are lots of people wearing them who are not hipsters. So it's erroneous to call them that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 AM) : 

I thought hipster meant lower on the hips, rather than just tighter. don't like the second look on anyone over 13.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 AM) : 

hipster/skinny jeans for the win


and they feel amazing

 

Blogger Miss Hothouse Orchid said ... (8:45 AM) : 

Slim Jeans! Unless your a REAL LIFE rocker, then you must do hipster jeans.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 AM) : 

Not a fan of denim at all, no matetr what the fit.

Having said that, the blazer is great in the first picture, and I love the long wings in the second.

 

Blogger Cristiana Nunes said ... (9:07 AM) : 

Wow, what and outfit.Love the scarf, so charming, and his details!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

Slim, lovely blog :)

http://chicgeekblogger.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous joshclimpson said ... (9:34 AM) : 

i love people writing the rules on what is right and wrong. "hipster jeans never go with low cut shoes". where did you learn such information. i agree, fashion is SO ubiquitous and each to their own. this is what this blog is about-a sense of tailoring, uniqueness and trend in harmony with classicism. to call them hipster jeans puts them in an unnecessary basket, which in my mind is wrong.

 

Blogger Kirsten Elaine Nielsen said ... (9:39 AM) : 

Slim is sexier;)

 

Blogger Kab said ... (9:50 AM) : 

Sorry but, what exactly are the differences between hipster jeans and slim jeans?!

Based on the two pics, I prefer the hipster ensemble.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:56 AM) : 

I hate jeans that wrinkle because they are so tight. There is nothing attractive about either on men or women.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

Neither look age appropriate.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 AM) : 

I think he's a little too thick in the midsection to pull off those slim jeans. They make him look top-heavy, which he probably is actually not. I think the slim jeans are a little much for a man of his age--and I'm a man of his age, so I should know.

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (10:49 AM) : 

I am not entirely certain I fully see the difference.

I agree with the comments on age-appropriateness!

http://davidikus.blogspot.com/
http://www.davidranc.com

 

Anonymous PJ said ... (10:49 AM) : 

Fashion industry leaders have decreed that jeans which are both too tight and too short are not ridiculous - this season. Next year, don't be sure.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:15 AM) : 

is it the same guy? i noticed the shoes are almost similar in both pictures.

 

Anonymous Best of Beehive said ... (11:17 AM) : 

Gotta go with slim, but I think you have to be a certain body type to pull it off.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 AM) : 

The "slim" jeans look like they are unintentionally short. They seem to hit in the wrong place and make the wearer look a bit foolish.

 

Anonymous Jenny Hansson said ... (11:46 AM) : 

HIPSTER! Love those legs...

 

Anonymous ALICE IN DESIGNLAND said ... (11:50 AM) : 

Definitely liking the hipster better

 

Anonymous Mattias Johansson said ... (11:51 AM) : 

Hipster jeans look so good. I think you gonna see much of this in Sweden this spring.

SWAG!

 

Anonymous m.edwin said ... (12:27 PM) : 

i think too-narrow, too-short trousers of any sort make most guys' feet appear bloated and clownish, or like the clumsy adult paws of puppies that haven't grown into them yet. i'll be waiting for the resurgence of a wide trend while considering the shoes at the bottom of my own too-tight jeans.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:28 PM) : 

Such a cool mix, especially with that checked jacket!

http://fashiondoesntexist.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Annalisa said ... (12:30 PM) : 

Interesting how on the slim jean the contrast between the wash and the stitching is actually very flattering to his leg. I think this goes well with the tailoring - the jean follows the shape of the leg at the same distance (is that the best word?) from his leg. This is what makes it "slimming" I think - the visual continuity.
The hipster pant hugs this person's calf as if the cut is generic and not with a mind to the shape of someone's leg. However, I don't think this is particularly unflattering in the photo because of how thin this person's legs are (relative to their shoes, can't see their hips but the have little knees too :) )
I've seen people wear hipster jeans with much larger hips and the tightness on the calves is not flattering.
Which makes me think of Anika because she is a gloriously curvy girl with tight pants, but they're cut well and she does wear the perfect shoes. Also, how gorgeous is her expression in both photos? Focused and thoughtful.
Kind of like this blog.

 

Blogger Market Savant said ... (12:46 PM) : 

For me, the hipster snippet looks a little too ironic for me, but I guess a bunched scarf around a tanned face has it's own fair share of irony. I'll still go with the slim jeans.

 

Anonymous JOE said ... (1:01 PM) : 

Anyone know who makes the brogues in the first picture ? I know Ted Baker has a pair, but these are much better. Love the fit of the blazer. Cheers.

 

Blogger Ninjagaiden78 said ... (1:07 PM) : 

Slim jeans all day.

windowshopz.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:11 PM) : 

I just love hipster jeans, but only to very young people and only on very slim people, because otherwise they just get ridicolous.

 

Anonymous Samuel.H said ... (1:24 PM) : 

I'm all about Hipster Jeans BUT unfortunately my legs aren't suitable for it...and slim jeans is what i wear...I'm 21

Skinnies are only suitable to men who has baseball bat legs, it creates curves for them. For me, hipster jeans can only make me stompier like sausages...

so it all comes down to your body shape and style.

 

Blogger Malte said ... (1:26 PM) : 

The jacket is absolutely great!
You really got an eye for that!

http://www.jakeanddavies.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:39 PM) : 

I got my boyfriend a pair of slim jeans since he has skinny legs, but I wouldn't buy them for my brother who has muscular thighs. The slim style looks good on skinny/small boned men. I don't like any man wearing "skinny jeans" at all--yes, too "hipster" for my taste, but it sounds like other ladies like it...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:47 PM) : 

Slim jeans please.

 

Anonymous YogaSpy said ... (2:22 PM) : 

Neither.

Guys look best in straight-leg classic Levi's.

"Slim" example might be passable but length is way too short!

"Hipster" example is too skinny on males (for my taste) although ideal for females.

QUESTION: Do real hipsters wear these types of wingtips?

 

Blogger Dr ACP said ... (3:04 PM) : 

I don't know if its the guy or the jeans, but I have to say the slim jeans here. The man wearing the slim jeans is so well put together and his haircut so sexy I could swoon. Wow, there is nothing better in this World than a really well dressed man. His blazer is to die for, and the addition of the scarf and highly polished shoes is just incredible. Eye candy for sure. Beautifully composed photograph Scott, love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 PM) : 

The slim jeans at top are still lacking "body balance" in my opinion.

 

Anonymous jenny said ... (5:10 PM) : 

if you meant "skinny" jeans (instead of "hipster" jeans), i would normally say i prefer slim jeans. however, the photo of the "hipster jeans" really doesn't show them as all that skinny. they can get a lot skinnier.
the slim jeans look weird on the man in the top photo. too short or something (and i normally like shorter jeans).
to be completely honest, i wish men would start wearing bell bottoms again. that's a look that really gets me goin'.

 

Anonymous Nick said ... (5:18 PM) : 

while I personally hate the skinny hipster jeans because they are on everyone and often are not flattering to my eye, jean style really is dependent so much on body type and personal style. my own will always be a tailored style between bootcut and skinny. I have to 40's style wide legged ones that look great but really or hipster just look silly on an athletic man like me.

my biggest problem with the hipster jean is they usually appear tight and "uncomfortable" in all the places a gentlemen would prefer breathing room.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 PM) : 

Sturdy legs on the second pic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:32 PM) : 

old dudes with a comb over wearing slim jeans ouch. Give me Straight leg PRPS,

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:38 PM) : 

@ DJ Twisted Sister
Hahahaha! you are funny! I mean I like slim jeans, I like the kind of conservatism we see in fashion today, so I like both for different reasons. The so-called hipster, the super-slim jean is more fashion and symbolically is more in tune with what goes on in the world, than the slim jeans, which is in fact a conservative retro style.
funny to read all the different comments, from not having heard about it to the defense of the hipster as subversive force in society.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:55 PM) : 

I'm in love with the shoes, so classic and polished!
I'd wear them :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:29 PM) : 

For your consideration,

There's a difference here aside from the shade? Other than that obvious difference all I see are two pairs of jeans that:

1.) ...are too short.
2.) ...are ill-fitting.
3.) ...throw off the symmetry of the rest of the wearers' ensemble.

I desire to ask, can't SOMEONE wear jeans that fit? There has to be SOMETHING between "these two options" and "halfway falling down and dragging on the ground".

 

Blogger Your Special Friend, Miss Wonderly said ... (8:36 PM) : 

Slim, for crying out loud.

 

Anonymous Jason said ... (8:38 PM) : 

The "slim jeans" with the shoes on the hipster guy would be so ideal in my life.

 

Anonymous jonezales said ... (9:44 PM) : 

I prefer the first silhouette - the second seems somewhat feminine and could see with gilt buckle Louis heels, wig, and ermine robe.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 PM) : 

Prefer the lighter jeans and long jacket

 

Anonymous P8 said ... (10:48 PM) : 

I am not a fan of hipsters and their annoying fashion, so while I'd love to say that I prefer the slim jeans....

I really think it depends on the person, their body type, and what they're trying to convey about themselves.

That said, slim jeans probably look best on the majority of men, so long as they are the proper length. The slim jeans in the first picture make that man's legs look stumpy, in my opinion.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:37 AM) : 

Just so I'm clear, what's the difference in the slim jean and the hipster jean? 1/4" of fabric? the wearer?

 

Blogger joshua388 said ... (2:53 AM) : 

I quite like the hipster jeans myself. However, the slim ones are also very nice. The shoes are what made the decision for me.

http://puffinandwallet.blogspot.com

 

Blogger O. Cleone Ebertz said ... (6:59 AM) : 

slim

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:44 AM) : 

any suggest brand for slim jeans? i love it but i don't find it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:11 AM) : 

I think both make men look fragile, boyish, weak; their legs look like sticks or bird's legs. I much prefer a bootcut or slacks that make a man look like a man.

You know, women aren't the only ones who need to dress appropriately. A grown man trying to look like a teenager is such a turnoff. Edgy is nice, mid-life-crisis is not.

~Sara

 

Anonymous Gabriel said ... (12:38 PM) : 

Maybe this is redundant, but it needs to be pointed out that not all hipsters wear jeans as tight as pantyhose.

In fact, I've seen several self-styled "bohemians" around my neighborhood in New York wearing jeans such as the ones worn by the gentleman in the top picture.

(By the way, slim denim seems to suit said gentleman very well, and it's proof that a streamlined fit is not restricted to twenty-somethings alone)

Which brings me to the question: Is there really such a thing as hipster jeans, and jeans for the rest of us?

It seems to me that the distinction of who is supposed to wear what is getting blurrier and blurrier these days. There's a current hyper-awareness of fashion among the "average" male that was rare even half a decade ago, probably thanks to blogs such as yours and to mainstream clothing chains going more "fashion/designer-y" in recent years. (Needless to say this is a good thing!)

(Hope I'm not overstaying my welcome. Just wanted to extend the question/issue, and see what everyone else thinks?)

 

Anonymous Aina said ... (3:19 PM) : 

love those shoes!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:05 PM) : 

This look always makes a man who is not tall and slim look shorter and fatter than he is. These are not slim jeans, just too-small and too-short jeans. Awkward with the dress brogues. Not elegant.

 

Blogger felice said ... (4:32 PM) : 

very very good slim jeans felix

 

Anonymous Lydia said ... (4:49 PM) : 

It's the difference in denim weight and colour that does it for me. I think I'll always prefer a slim, dark jean on men. Stretchier fabric=cheaper. A weightier denim is substantially more flattering on men.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:23 PM) : 

Screw hipster, the slim have such a great classic, beautiful silhouette! Despise the hipster!

 

Anonymous Sartor Resartus said ... (5:32 PM) : 

Rather bored of the too short trouser thing. Especially for un homme d'un certain age it is a little too much. Also a few more inches on his jeans would have been much more flattering to his physique...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:37 PM) : 

the rise on the slim seems too low for me. which i guess is fine on it's own, but when it's combined with no break, it makes it look like the pants don't quite fit him. like they are trying really hard to cover his bottom half. it's all about proportions. if you're going to go no break, you should have medium rise (or even high). look at the way sid mashburn (or any of his employees) does it.

 

Anonymous Melanieee said ... (9:40 PM) : 

I honestly think it's wierd when boys where skinny jeans. Their bodies look gross in them. Not a fan.

Melanieee

P.S. i like the hipster jeans better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 PM) : 

They both look great, and very masculine too. It takes a fit body to pull off the look.

 

Blogger Henning Pfeifer said ... (7:34 AM) : 

I want the shoes! Artificial leather looks sometimes even better.

 

Blogger KM said ... (9:31 AM) : 

Prefer the hipster jeans, at least with those shoes!

 

Blogger Liz S said ... (9:43 AM) : 

First ones are too short top and bottom.

2nd ones are not hipsters but more stovepipes although a bit inbetween with skinnies.

3rdly hipsters are jeans that sit on the hips popularised in the late 60s/70s and often worn with a wide belt to accentuate the hips. They were very cool/"hip" esp coming out of the conservative 50s and esp for women who rarely wore trousers.

Fourthly--hipsters is not a term used by them and is meant to be slightly derogatory. They are usually young people that follow a certain lifestyle and thinking and yes dress a certain way too--usually thrifted clothing and band t shirts, follow Indie music--and very very very rarely wear clean cut wingtip brogues with their stovepipes.

If you look the term up on google esp on wiki and urban dictionary--you will get a good insight as well as some interesting history.

And yes, I like both of them as long as they're done well and on the right person.

 

Blogger Eric said ... (12:49 PM) : 

It basically comes down to stacked or stovepipe vs trim and tailored.

web.rollins.edu/~eshort

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:34 PM) : 

consider....

do the jeans make you a hipster or can one actually just be real hip in drainpipes?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 PM) : 

I'v never been so tire of a trend in my life, hipster jeans have to go ASAP.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:22 PM) : 

Whaddabout a source for slim jeans in L.A. any favourites? Any affordables?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:28 PM) : 

I agree with those who prefer boot cut or classic on men. Both photos look too tight to me......hard to carry off unless you are Keith Richards skinny.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 PM) : 

I think boot-cut or classic jeans would work a whole lot better in both cases. It's really hard for a guy to carry off skinny jeans unless he's under 25 or Keith Richards skinny.

 

Anonymous Carolin said ... (1:50 PM) : 

Definitely prefer the hipster jeans, more modern and sexy if you have got the legs for them, esp with the shoes...would look great with the blazer in the first pic.

 

Blogger Ciao ciao ciao said ... (2:00 AM) : 

The guy in the top figure is wearing Jaggy jeans.
Best denim ever. Made in Italy of course :-)

 

Anonymous G said ... (5:52 AM) : 

I also think it's a matter of age not about being a hipster... They are both equally stylish and always look great with brogues.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:21 PM) : 

HIPSTER!

 

Anonymous Victoria Regia said ... (1:29 PM) : 

Skinny/ hipster jeans (or whatever they're called) look very cool, but they're beyond uncomfortable. I was never able to get used to the strain they put around my knees, so I pretty much skipped the trend. The guys in the pictures look great!

 

Anonymous Joseph said ... (2:06 AM) : 

Hipster jeans are too young and not very functional. Slim all the way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:17 PM) : 

More often than not, I prefer the 'slim' jean/pant on men rather than the 'hipster skinny'. Though, some guys can really pull that hipster skinny look off -- emphasis on the word SOME.
I think there are some guys out there who really just need to wear the type of jean/pant that suits their body type. Pretty frequently, I'll see a guy trying to wear the 'hipster skinny' and I just want to say to him, "Do you know how good you'd look if you weren't purposely making your lower half look like sausages?"

 

Anonymous Danny Loss said ... (6:31 PM) : 

Pretty sweeet, preferring the hipster jeans in these two photos if I'm honest, however on the whole I think I'd prefer slim jeans

 

Blogger SERGIU said ... (5:41 AM) : 

this look is great.

 

Blogger Tea Lady said ... (1:01 PM) : 

Not a fan of the tube type skinny jeans (aka hipster jeans!), but I like the slim jeans. They are classic. Granted, the slim jeans are a little more fitted than usual - they are bordering on skinny jeans almost. They suit this man though.

My very slim husband was wearing the baggiest jeans when I first met him. These days he is sporting slim jeans which complement his slim legs. It took a while... but eventually we got him into some nice jeans!

 

Blogger nicole said ... (1:31 PM) : 

I'm very much over the hipster jeans. The slim jeans are far more flattering.

I would love to get my boyfriend into those slims.

 

Blogger J.Christopher Dupuy said ... (5:36 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting