This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Alessandro's Retail Adventure in New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Alessandro's Retail Adventure in New York


The other day my friend Alessandro (whom you have seen in several shots from Milan and Florence) emailed to let me know he was in New York for a shopping/inspiration trip. He was looking for shops and brands that specialize in American classic style.

He had been to all the well-known shops like Odin, Melet Mercantile, Bergdorf Goodman, etc. However, he had missed some of the smaller, cool shops that are making New York one of the best menswear destinations in the world right now.

I offered to take him on the unofficial "Sartorialist-tour-of-cool-small-shops-specializing-in-classic-American-style-and-atmosphere" and made a few appointments. This was very spur-of-the-moment and is in no way a comprehensive selection, but with only two hours to show a super-chic visitor a few shops these are the places I made the priority.

I know Alessandro has a weakness for shoes so the first stop was Barker Black. Derrick just keeps evolving his American/English-inspired shoes, furnishing each with a sinister twist.

198b Elizabeth Street
212.966.2166

Next, we went around the block to Freemans Sporting Club. I think this was the shop that really wowed Alessandro. He loved the design of the space. I think he is very impressed at the American ability to take an unremarkable space and rebuild it with character; in this case, to look like an old dry goods shop that seemed to have occupied the space for over 100 years. Keith McNally does the same trick with Pastis, Balthazar, etc.
8 Rivington Street
212.673.3209

I was going to take him to Leffot but he had already visited the day before, What he mentioned, though, was how funny it was to see Aldens done through the eyes of Americans. Right now Alden is one of the hottest brands in Italy and Japan but they are always bought with the unique perspective of buyers in each country. As I have mentioned before, Aldens here are way to clunky for my taste but I've seen them in Seoul, Milan, Florence and Japan and stores always seem to pick the perfect two or three styles that reflect the local taste.

(The one exception in the US is how J. Crew is buying Aldens right now. They're offering a very good selection.)
10 Christopher Street
212.989.4577

So, instead of heading west we took Bowery uptown to the orginal Kiehl's on Third Ave. Very cool. Alessandro loved the Indian motorcycles that share the space with creams and lotions.
109 3rd Ave
212.677.3171

Just down the block on 13th street is the new-ish vintage shop Stock Vintage. Another great location for product and layout.
143 East 13th Street
212.505.2505

Our last stop (again, we only had a very short time period) was Saturdays Surf. Alessandro got a kick out of the idea of city surfing.
31 Crosby Street
212.966.7875

I wanted to take them to see Kirk at Miller's Oath but instead.....
510 Greenwich Street
212.219.9965

...I took Alessandro for a real American meal....fajitas and margaritas at Rocking Horse!!!
182 Eighth Ave
212.463.9511
He left for the airport very happy.

Comments on "Alessandro's Retail Adventure in New York"

 

Blogger GutterUncensored.com said ... (9:49 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Anonymous Best of Beehive said ... (9:50 AM) : 

Great pictures and sounds like a decent tour.

 

Blogger vn said ... (9:52 AM) : 

great selection of shops ... must have been a great few hours

"Sartorialist-tour-of-cool-small-shops-specializing-in-classic-
American-style-and-atmosphere"

- that'd be a popular tour if it was bookable!!
_____________________

'what are you wearing,who are you listening to?'

http://edgeindustrialphotography.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Allie said ... (9:52 AM) : 

Wow, you really made some great stops with your friend. Those those suede oxfords. I've got to get my husband to pull those out, he hasn't worn them in forever. I just love the way they go with everything. I just love Kiehl's. I could buy everything there! I'll have to check out Stock Vintage. Antiques and such are my fav. Thanks for this very interesting post!
www.skylarkmanor.com

 

Blogger Liv said ... (9:54 AM) : 

I really like these photos, the Stock vintage looks so nice and fun.I hope you or Garance can give a tour for us girls soon!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Fantastic! Please, please, please do the same in a women's version! Thanks!

 

Blogger Twigart said ... (9:59 AM) : 

I really enjoyed this post, so refreshing to see men can have choice when it comes to shopping! I will be directing all of my fashion challenged male friends to this one.

 

Blogger jackie said ... (10:00 AM) : 

i was waiting all morning for your posts and it was worth the wait- great post! i hope to visit some of those places when i go to nyc (margaritas for sure)! too bad i'm not a man though... but i guess i could take inspiration from some of the elements... thanks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:01 AM) : 

Wow, shopping with you must be the ultimate shopping experience. I'm sure he was thoroughly satisfied with great company and a feel for American shopping. Great post Scott!

Come by and see what I'm currently craving..

www.houseofhemingway.blogspot.com

 

Blogger La Molkas said ... (10:02 AM) : 

cool tour but I will say that for fajitas en margaritas you need to go way, way south! as in south of the border =)

 

Anonymous Sarah said ... (10:02 AM) : 

Is Kirk at Miller's Oath looking for a French girlfriend?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 AM) : 

You HIT all the good ones. Nothing to add. Well done!!!

 

Anonymous Catherine like Deneuve said ... (10:10 AM) : 

Utterly charming tour!

 

Blogger Sukhpreet said ... (10:11 AM) : 

Cute story! I like this type of post, with you telling a fashion narrative.

 

Blogger La Molkas said ... (10:16 AM) : 

great tour but "best" fajitas and margaritas in NYC? sorry but no Sartorialist - for that you need to go south, way south as in south of the border!

 

Anonymous ♥ La casita de Martina ♥ said ... (10:20 AM) : 

Qué fuerte!!!! las fotos son mágnificas.... parece que hasta se perciba el olor de los lugares en los que estás.

Enhorabuena por tu trabajo.

www.lacasitademartina.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 AM) : 

I love Barker Black. You should check out the new store on Robertson in Los Angeles.

 

Anonymous Sam said ... (10:23 AM) : 

Wow! I love Alessandro's electric blue wool jacket! Really great selection of stores, the owners look so stylish!

http://fashionthroughtravel.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Jessie said ... (10:25 AM) : 

great post! i love when you add personal accents into your posts. i love it.

http://wordbyjessie.com

 

Blogger Jeanine Reyes said ... (10:26 AM) : 

Rocking Horse is ridiculously delicious! From the looks of the locations picked, he definitely had a great time!

jeaninereyes.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Helmi said ... (10:30 AM) : 

I too liked the mood of this post The last picture just made my day. He seems like a charming man. And you too by the look on his face.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 AM) : 

Amazing pictures, you are a genius!!

http://puisvient.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Alys said ... (10:52 AM) : 

I think this needs to become an official "Sartorialist-tour-of-cool-small-shops-specializing-in-classic-American-style-and-atmosphere"!

 

Blogger Diana said ... (10:53 AM) : 

This tour-de-cool sounds great and the photos are great and that bad guy in the vintage shop looks really great....

I am a girl, but as i love men´s style, i am very envy of this Alessandro...

 

Anonymous Apparel Therapy said ... (10:55 AM) : 

What a great comprehensive post about shopping for menswear off the beaten path - such an inspiration!

I particularly love the guy in front of Stock Vintage - talk about new classic! And the last picture with the superb blue blazer is great!

Thanks for taking us along!

 

Anonymous Marisa Alma said ... (10:57 AM) : 

What an enjoyable photographic vignette! I like the photo of Stock Vintage with its contrast of the tattooed modern guy against that cool rusted, detailed door.

City surfing?????

 

Blogger comme fraiche said ... (11:20 AM) : 

I can't think of anyone who would know the men's stores to shop in NYC better than you.

 

Blogger b said ... (11:22 AM) : 

very cool. that friend of yours is quite attractive. then again i've always had a thing for older men. lol...fajitas and margaritas sounds great right now.

 

Anonymous Raquel said ... (11:27 AM) : 

OMG, hes wrinkles are so sexy and, come on Scott, thats not American meal is totally mexican ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 AM) : 

Anything that is authentic or at least attempting to be is okay by me. Enough with the 3 story, big, shiny store. I love Allesandro's interactions with the people and how his colored scarf and blue shirt pop with these beautiful backdrops.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:29 AM) : 

Sounds like a great selection.Love the last photo (beautiful blue!)
www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Darina said ... (11:31 AM) : 

now THIS are some stylish guys :D
never saw somebody in germany stylish like this!
cool and casual !



Greetings from germany,
xx D.

http://ultimativerexklusiversubjektiver.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:58 AM) : 

i really loved this post! it kinda felt like being on holiday :)you know just shopping and some good food afterwards!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 AM) : 

This looks like a fun adventure, but I must say, you need to come to Austin, Texas to try some real fajitas and margaritas.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 PM) : 

love the verbiage/photo blend of this post. felt as if we got to go on the tour with you. thanks so much!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 PM) : 

Love all these shops!

I would add some Brooklyn Shops, Hollander and Lexer and Smith and Mills being my favorites.

http://www.hollanderandlexer.net/
http://www.smithbutler.com/sb/?page_id=9

 

Blogger InStudio Blog said ... (12:29 PM) : 

Next time moi will tag along (fab shops!) and we'll go for REAL American food = burgers, hot dogs and fries at Five Guys.

http://www.fiveguys.com/locations.aspx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:32 PM) : 

Great post, but I was giggling into my coffee cup over a surf shop in NYC! (Posting from So Cal!)

 

Blogger CELINE said ... (12:36 PM) : 

About F.S.C/Keith McNally/Pastis: I don't go across the Atlantic to New York very often. So when I did spend a weekend in the city a few years ago and visited several McNally-spaces that were recommended (Baltazar, Pastis, and that place on the Lower East Side) over one weekend, it struck me how the initial allure turned into a disturbing awareness of how fake that veneer of "authentic" actually is! - Many levels better than Disneyworld, but still...!

 

Blogger the coolbirth kid said ... (12:38 PM) : 

love his sports jacket meets cardigan.
absolutely.
love.
it.
been looking my whole life for something like it.
albeit,
a low-cost version.
terrific color too,
he wears it well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 PM) : 

love this post-- but wha't the stud on his cuff of the blue jacket/last photo? Hmmmm...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

Fantastic colors. You are a true inspiration.

http://studyingwithstilettos.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Lin said ... (1:04 PM) : 

I love that blue jacket in the last photo, it's stunning!
I hate to break it to you, but fajitas and margaritas aren't American!! Not even a little bit!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 PM) : 

First time entry after following your blog for some time from England. Will be taking this tour with my husband next time we get to New York - think I'll love it as much as he will!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:10 PM) : 

What a great post! Loved vicariously sharing a mini tour of downtown ccol with you. I take a similar route when my bf is in need of clothes/haircut - or just inspiration
Wish women's shopping were this straightforward - sometimes I feel like I'm zigzagging all over town just to find a decent t-shirt!

 

Blogger Danielle said ... (1:37 PM) : 

Great collection of pictures! :)

x

http://yonder-wonderland.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM) : 

I'd love to see a few more of posts like this one! Delightfully charming, really!

 

Anonymous Arabella said ... (1:53 PM) : 

A lovely piece!

I’m inspired to share a story about one of my favourite pastimes; to comb menswear stores and find beautiful pieces my anti-clothes husband will feel comfortable wearing. (Before me he shopped at Target!)

It's fun to match his personality and preferences with quality pieces that look hot.

He hates to admit he gets all puffed up when he wears my selection but he does. Especially when people compliment him - which is often.

One of my favourite stories is the first time I convinced him to spend big by appealing to his practicality. It was on a pair of brown suede brogue boots from the Prada outlet in Italy. After months of him telling me he could only wear crocs because his feet are too wide for anything else, I sagely advised him these beautiful brogues would accommodate his wide feet AND make him look great when he took me to our favourite restaurant, Da Delfina in Tuscany, for lunch the next day. Maybe it was the air, maybe it was Prada maybe it was because we were in a foreign country but I was able to sway him that day. He walked out of the store feeling somewhat duped yet proud nonetheless. As soon as we got home I knew I had a convert when he immediately pulled them out of the bag and put them on……he still adheres to being an anti-fashionista.

Please do one for women though....we love your unique sensibility.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:12 PM) : 

Love the tour, love the pictures, love the men in the pictures. Made my day! Gracias.

 

Blogger Tuesday in Amsterdam said ... (2:13 PM) : 

Awesome post!!!!
Thank you

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:24 PM) : 

This was a fun photo/story!

You should do/post more like these!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:57 PM) : 

I'm quite sure that 'American' food consists of something more like burgers and fries, hot dogs, milkshakes, etc. When was the last time you ordered a fajita at a baseball game? lol

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:57 PM) : 

where is the blue sports coat in the last pic from, AWESOME!.

 

Blogger My Savage Side said ... (2:59 PM) : 

great photos!! they are so natural...

www.mysavageside.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:00 PM) : 

Lovely post!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:07 PM) : 

I've been following this blog for years, and I must say this post has been my favorite. Every photo reflects the absolute epitome of mens style.

 

Blogger ROXY MARJ said ... (3:08 PM) : 

This post instantly made me miss living in NYC. I wish I could have been on that tour. I emailed your post to my husband who has yet to visit the city with me. His style is this post in a nutshell, and he builds motorcycles! :)

LOOOOOOVE IT!

 

Blogger MariaTru said ... (3:16 PM) : 

Alessandro has such a great smile! I smiled in retun when saw the last picture.

I would have liked very much to be with you on that tour. It is so interesting and... tasty!

 

Anonymous Bren @ B So Chic! said ... (3:37 PM) : 

He's gorgeous!

Bren
B So Chic!
http://www.bsochic.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Lelu said ... (3:40 PM) : 

yaaay Rocking Horse margaritas <3
And I just can't stop looking at this blue color, it's awesome!

 

Blogger Marc said ... (3:47 PM) : 

I love Freemans Sporting Club! I bought a pair of selvedge denim jeans there and I got a haircut, too! They really do it all.

 

Blogger KristiMcMurry said ... (3:50 PM) : 

I love this post. I love the outfit posts...but this added some great variety. Thanks for the great suggestions.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:54 PM) : 

Thanks. I was almost as beeing with on the tour. Could you please to the same for womens wear. Just virtually.

 

Anonymous John Fong said ... (4:03 PM) : 

Thanks for the list! I'm always on the lookout for cool little shops when I travel.

Interestingly enough, that's my personal photo project right now, to find funky little shops in Vancouver. I'd invite you to hit up my website if you have a chance

www.johnfong.tumblr.com

John

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:12 PM) : 

this just makes me want to take a plane to NY ! thanks for sharing your day...
Alexandra

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:51 PM) : 

On my next trip to NYC, I'll have your suggestions in hand for a day of shopping. Question: the man in the gray pinstripe pants, his tank watch is understated but handsome. Any guesses on the brand?

 

Blogger LucentEyes Photogaphy said ... (5:16 PM) : 

Great way to tell a story. The last shot is the best.

 

Anonymous I said ... (5:46 PM) : 

I need a friend like you but not here in NYC but Paris:)

 

Anonymous vladideleon said ... (5:46 PM) : 

love to watch alessandro in ny, he looks even more handsome than in milan, i'm kidding, just more handsome, and love the real american meal you took him to, and love the fact that actually fajitas and margaritas is very very mexican, as i am. and super love the blue blazer i've seen in several pics from alessandro. regards, vladideleon@hotmail.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 PM) : 

brilliant story and wonderful photos. thank you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 PM) : 

thanks for the tour i am surprised u didn't go to Vogel on Howard st

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:19 PM) : 

it looks like you both had fun! I bet he and you bare back in nyc...it must have been enjoyable for you both x

 

Blogger Matthew Spade said ... (6:57 PM) : 

nice spare of the moment shop about trip. i heard about stock vintage, even in the uk actually. love the first image

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:01 PM) : 

Thank you for this online tour around NYC

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 PM) : 

I love, absolutely love, menswear done right. This post makes me want to be a man (just for a day) so I can shop at the stores you mentioned.

And, Kirk at Miller's Oath...is he A) single and B) straight? What a great and refreshing style he has! That is the man I want to date, and sadly, there are so few of them!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:56 PM) : 

I really enjoyed this post Mr Sart - but City Surfing in NYC made me laugh! Greetings from Sydney.
Sx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:29 PM) : 

This was such a wonderful tour of your favorite places in New York. That would be such a great monthly post if you could do city editions of your friends' favorite places in New York or your favorite places. I'm definitely going to try the Rocking Horse for my next Mexican outing :)

 

Blogger Daniel Nielsen said ... (8:44 PM) : 

he looks good but its a tad bland. but thats totally fine. personal style ftw.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:11 PM) : 

I can only imagine that after such a fun-filled tour of NY's best places to shop he would be happy. I know I would. I will definitely have to visit these shops the next time I stop by NY. I love all these pictures, especially the ones that depict Alessandro's AMAZING sense of fashion.
Check out my trendy blog!
http://thetrendydwarf.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 PM) : 

Hello, great post!

By the way, for all people saying that Fajitas are Mexican, they are not. They are originally from Texas, which, makes them American. Just a quick FYI from a Mexican in Cali

:-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 PM) : 

Desde cuando fajitas and margaritas are a "real American meal"

 

Blogger Raquel said ... (11:08 PM) : 

Haha, what a great post! Sounds like you guys had a great time.

 

Anonymous lisette said ... (11:37 PM) : 

OMG!! Amazing post! Please, please, please do more like this you little hunk of a man. I love to shop and you are making me crazy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 PM) : 

Saturdays Surf NYC looks like a whimsical little shop. I can imagine young city boys to fit thirtysomethings and even fortysomethings stopping by to purchase a new athletic hobby to try out on the surf on Coney Island or farther East on Long Island.

These shops are so refreshing to see. Downtown Manhattan is definitely a different world next to how claustophobic midtown can get.

Sounds like a fun afternoon. Hope your friend had a blast!

- Vanessa
Project Zen

 

Anonymous Biggrey-dog said ... (12:32 AM) : 

Thanks for taking him to Keils! While the place is nothing like it was prior to L'Oreal bought them out its still cool. I hope my friend Sheila welcomed you!

The Dog

 

Blogger Danish Demeanor said ... (3:49 AM) : 

What a lovely round-about adventure in the city, I shall keep those shops in mind for when I next visit!
Thanks

www.danishdemeanor.com

 

Blogger caribbelle said ... (4:09 AM) : 

nothing better than American TexMex food! I hope he had a great time!

 

Blogger Stella said ... (4:55 AM) : 

The portrait of Alessandro is awesome. The colours, the expression you've captured...
If I were him, I would put it on my house. Such a good picture!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:00 AM) : 

ah, alessandro squarzi - an official unofficial star of italian street style. the very same man through whose showroom representation we're enjoying acquaintance with dunderdon and dondup, etc. lovely to know that he is just as creative with his business attitude as he is with his sartorial one. japanese are simply fixated with his style. just look at "leon" and "men's non-no" - these premiere menswear mags are documenting his every move. come pitti he's unavoidable and welcome site. so refreshing to see a committed and passionate professional who travels for inspiration to see new stuff. not just another feigning jadedness exec rolling his eyes at the call from another unknown with pleas for appointment.

well, it is quite good of you to show him a worthwhile side of new york creative retail universe. personally i admire his concise masculine style which understated but inventive and always always age appropriate. middle age never looked that good. i bet he is fun to be around as well.

good portraits! sense of intimacy is coming through since your subject is so relaxed and comfortable in the presence of big deal photografer.

many thanks for this casual letting in your world.

ruski boi in america.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:04 AM) : 

I love the first picture. Vintage khakis are a must-have!
Visit my blog thekhakichronicles.com

Hope you enjoy it

Thanks Scott for the daily dose of inspiration

 

Blogger Steven Varni, aka Sig. Nonloso said ... (6:25 AM) : 

Yes, American shops in NYC are very good at making an interior appear as if it were 100 years old but, to be honest, lately I wonder why they do so. J. Crew on lower Broadway does this and I can't help but almost laugh every time I walk past, remembering the (far preferable) magazine shop it used to be not very long ago and imagining how some tourists might swallow the whole country store interior as though it were "authentic".

I find it an odd paradox that on the one hand, America insists on its youth & naivete & innocence (guffaw), while on the other hand strains to ground itself in a bogus authenticity conjured up wholesale in fake "old country stores". Or maybe it's no paradox at all--just two sides of the same bogus coin.

 

Blogger Carnivorous Seaweed said ... (6:28 AM) : 

The picture at Stock Vintage is probably one of my favorite pictures of your's. So much personality! And Alessandro is so handsome.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:41 AM) : 

Oh New York City, you're so cool, I'm glad someone is around to take amazing pictures of you and your inhabitants!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:57 AM) : 

What a great post! You should definitely do more features like this! I agree with 'above' and you should do a monthly (I would prefer weekly but I don't want you to kill yourself!;) ) post like this. Especially when you feature particular people that have a certain style and all their favourite shops. LOVE THIS!!!

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (7:16 AM) : 

The blue jacket on the last pic is electrifying! Thanks for the tips about NYC too...

The hoodie is fantastic too!

Thanks for sharing.

http://davidikus.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:02 AM) : 

Love that RL jacket. Cool guy, great post!

 

Anonymous Maria said ... (8:12 AM) : 

thanks for this post Scott! so detailed, short & concise, I can see some journalists skills :) Alessandro seems really happy in the last photo!

 

Anonymous HW90 said ... (1:33 PM) : 

I don't know which would be more fun, being the tourist or the tour guide...I'm jealous of both of you.

 

Blogger Malo said ... (1:59 PM) : 

Colorful men... Those shops look inviting and I do need a new surfboard. Great photos!


Thanks,

Malo
http://www.ModaeAmor.com/
Twitter.com/ModaeAmor

...

 

Anonymous clotildeSF said ... (2:20 PM) : 

All of those places look like an adventure to experience - even the storefronts look curiously inviting. Here in CA, so many no longer know how to dress or even care to - the symphony, dinner, drinks... it is sad. These stores look like they could reinvigorate with as much style as a man can handle according to his own meager taste (with some help)... like from Kirk. Would accept HIS help any day!

Alessandro clearly was in great hands. The last picture proves it - wonderful smile/really lights up his face (love the blue jacket)!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:37 PM) : 

Great. Let's start an initiative with insightful tours everyone knows from his own city. Would be fun...for sure...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:46 PM) : 

... but who is Alessandro and for whom or for what was he researching?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:01 PM) : 

Scott, this is truly great. Will definitely check out your recommendations next time I am in NYC. I know this would go beyond your house style (which by the way I love) but have you thought about putting together a quarterly video along these lines - places that have the right feel that you hit regularly. The Intel / Visual Life short made me hope you might begin to do that kind of thing. This has really made me wish that happens.

 

Blogger Naftali Stern said ... (4:22 PM) : 

Love the Stock Vintage guys tat bohemian look.. Great pics!!

theBohmerian

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 PM) : 

you should start a fashion and lifestyle tour of new york - sounds like a lot of fun!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 PM) : 

Thank you for the tour! I live in Los Angeles, and, everyday your blog takes me on a short vacation! Gracias!

 

Anonymous BlingDuckFashion said ... (1:21 AM) : 

fabulous! nice photos and pieces you got here!

 

Anonymous Mama'sBoy said ... (2:27 AM) : 

Great post--I loved the arc and fluidity of it! Love everything here, but more like this would be captivating...

 

Anonymous antique engagement rings said ... (6:49 AM) : 

We love vintage shops.. vintage is wonderful!

 

Blogger Kathleen said ... (6:56 AM) : 

Scott, I am fascinated by these series of photos and your writing. By and far, my most favorite photograph has to be the last one. I would have to call this portrait in nature. The colors of the margarita, the straw, his blazer, and engaging smile are all so incredible. All the photos in this shoot are out of this world. As always, fantastic work Scott.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:39 AM) : 

Ah, Scott, this is awesome!

I have to say that your work is always great, but this post really exceeds.

Every time there's a picture of Alessandro I get really excited - he just seems to nail it every time, and there's a great eneregy about him as well. Just look at that last portrait with the blue jacket, electric yet approachable. His play with the traditional Italian style together with these touches of Japanese and American style is simply inspirational.

He should come over more often:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:55 AM) : 

Bellissimo!grazie

 

Blogger Up Heart Meant said ... (8:40 AM) : 

This was a great post, hope to see more like it!

 

Anonymous Coffee Addict said ... (11:07 AM) : 

Fact, potentially easy to overlook: Saturdays Surf has exceptional coffee, regardless of whether you surf.

I stopped in every day during my visit from Portland, Maine, which also has exceptional coffee, very high quality (and very cold) surf, and a growing contingent of well-dressed residents. Really good beer, too.

 

Blogger Melvin Hoyk said ... (3:22 AM) : 

I love the tour for style article. Please have more.

 

Blogger Meredith M Howard said ... (9:45 AM) : 

It was nice to hear you tell a story. Enjoyed your tour and your photos.


- Meredith
www.findingsoulbalance.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:20 AM) : 

You should have taken this man to J. Press.

 

Blogger Luciana Carvalho Mendes said ... (6:49 PM) : 

You're Amazing, the blog it's amazing!

Kisses from Portugal*

http://fashionviktima.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous CONTE said ... (5:12 AM) : 

una sola parola NUMERO 1

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:19 AM) : 

it's so amazing.... Great man!!!!
A real tren setter...

 

Blogger André Abreu said ... (7:26 AM) : 

Fashion for man, LOVE!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:58 AM) : 

I'm absolutely loving this 'Sartorialist tour of cool small shops' thing. Can you do one in each of your favourite cities please? The pictures are gorgeous and make me feel I'm with you and Alessandro on your shopping jaunt. The Aldens look fabulous; I've not seen them before. My husband would love to own several pairs, I'm sure.
Ciao, L. x x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:43 PM) : 

I know this stylish "retail"man and his wife who's a famous designer (Jo No Fui).. They are the most fashionable cuople that I have never seen and I am wondering why there is no picture of them together :-)

Bacio E.

 

Anonymous Sam - Unique Boutiques Blog said ... (5:29 PM) : 

Thanks for this post, wonderful little insights into some of NYC's special and unique spots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:25 AM) : 

Alden shoes are as american as apple pie

 

Blogger 4eyeblogabout said ... (11:14 AM) : 

anyone would be THIS happy having you as a tour/shopping companion! Sounds like everyone had fun, thanks for sharing the pictures and locations.

 

Anonymous Elisabethbaysset said ... (2:58 PM) : 

Le monsieur avec la veste bleue , qu'est-ce qu'il est beau , vos personnages sont sympathiques , vous
arrivez par je ne sais quelle magie a nous éblouir de ce qu'est l'autre .EB

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:25 AM) : 

ITALIANS DO IT BETTER!!!!!!!!!

 

Blogger Teresa @ good-grace said ... (11:06 AM) : 

Love the details of your day together ... will keep this list in mind if I should ever be lucky enough to visit NYC.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:08 AM) : 

So you took him to all these places but not Against Nature? I think he missed out

 

Anonymous Anna said ... (4:11 AM) : 

You sure know how to make a fashion tour!
What about Kirk at the second form the evd picture?Apart from his great style,he is the most handsome men i've seen lately..Wow,i can't stop looking at his photo..

 

Blogger KIT said ... (1:06 PM) : 

Alessandro is so gorgeous!

 

Anonymous Stephen said ... (11:53 AM) : 

Gotta love shopping in New York City, so many little unique places to shop. Great pictures, hope to see more soon.

http://sharpstyleblog.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 PM) : 

u r a very good friend1

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:49 PM) : 

i friggin LOVE that coat!!! I WANT IT!!! The color and the texture and the undone button on the sleeve of it!!! dang! its so nice. I would take the button holes and get them stitched in the same orange as that straw...

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting